Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
What’s an apple dessert doing in the middle of winter? I couldn’t resist. I bake apple desserts whenever I am hit with the idea. A simple and lovely apple coffee cake is something I could deal with any day of the week.
Because, let’s face it! Nothing is better than an amazing apple cake. I know…that’s just my opinion. But for me, it’s what I prefer most days of the year. I’ve had plenty of amazing chocolate cakes and cheesecakes. Cupcakes and cookies are just fine.
There is just something about a simple cake with a not too sweet and juicy apple filling that makes my day a little brighter! How about you?
I added a little streusel topping and that clearly was the right idea. There was no way this cake would be as amazing as it was without the addition of a sweet crumble in every bite. Buttery, crumbly, sweet apple…just perfect with an afternoon coffee or tea break. Or even for breakfast! I used this vegan cake batter that I just love! Everyone is keeping it lighter the month of January. If you have a different cake batter recipe you prefer, go ahead and use it. If you want to keep this vegan all the way, use margarine instead of butter for the crumb topping.
So to brighten a cold and chilly winter morning, I offer you a slice of this beautiful and happy apple crumb coffee cake! Hope you are keeping warm, wherever you are. Hope you are enjoying the month of January so far. Thanks for stopping by!!
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 2/3 Cup rice milk (or regular milk) + 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 Tbs Cornstarch mixed with 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 large granny smith apples (or your favorite baking apples)peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2” pieces
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam (or your favorite jam)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray an 8x8" square pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment.
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté the apples in medium-low heat with the lemon juice and spices(until they lose their crispiness). Add the jam and combine. Set aside to cool while you prepare the cake batter.
- In a small bowl, add the milk and vinegar and give it a whirl. Let sit a minute. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients of the cake and whisk together. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the oil, milk, water/cornstarch mixture, and vanilla. Mix well. Incorporate the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, scraping the sides of the bowl with your spatula.
- Spread the cake batter evenly in the baking pan. Spread the apple mixture evenly on top.
- For the streusel: In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Lower the heat to 325 and bake for about another 25-30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Copyright - CakeDuchess 2013 All Rights Reserved.