kakaós csiga (chocolate rolls) – Guest Post at Food Wanderings

by cakeduchess on September 30, 2013 · 15 comments

kakaos-csiga-chocolate-snail-cakeduchess-4

My heritage is a very important part of who I am today. My friend Shulie from Food Wanderings started a cool series that is all about Baking with Heritage. She asked if I would like to bake something Italian or Hungarian to share with her readers. I chose these fun chocolate rolls (kakaós csiga).

My childhood was just as influenced by my Hungarian born mother as it was by my Sicilian father. My mother’s aunt (Mariskaneni)was like our grandmother. She lived next door to us and is even the reason why I was inspired to start my baking blog. I was known as Lorika (that’s Lora in Hungarian). Mariskaneni baked all the time.
mariskaneni-2
There wasn’t a day that went by that she wasn’t baking: Dobos Torta, Pogacsa, Kipfli, Szilvas Gomboc (my favorite!), Piskota Torta, Almas Pite, and Palacsinta (just to name a few!). My mother’s sister Aniko cooks Hungarian food every single day. Whenever I have a Hungarian recipe question that my mom can’t answer, I turn to her. She loves to talk about food probably as much as I do. She told me the other day (with her very heavy Zsa Zsa Gabor Hungarian accent), “I have very old cookbooks here, sveetheart. Vellll, anyvey, ven I die…I’m giving dem to your mother.”
If you have been wanting to explore your family’s heritage through food and do not have any old recipes around, there is so much you can find online! You can find recipes that maybe your grandmother or great-aunt used to make. If the recipe isn’t exactly to your taste, go ahead and adjust it. I think it’s wonderful to keep food traditions alive and to pass them on to our children and maybe one day even, our grandchildren. If you are lucky to have grandparents still alive, ask them about their food traditions. I haven’t met a relative of mine that doesn’t love to talk about food.
kakaos-csiga-chocolate-snail-cakeduchess-2

Kakaós csiga  is a pretty popular chocolate roll in Hungary. I even found a Hungarian blog that has a couple hundred chocolate snail reviews in it. I talk a little more about the history and method to make these delicious rolls on my post for Shulie.

I have been a huge fan of Shulie’s delicious recipes for a long time. She was one of the first friends I found through my blog. Always supportive and inspirational with her creative posts. Shulie’s blog is truly all about “food wanderings”. If you have some free time, you should look around at some of her delicious recipes. When I think about Shulie’s blog and what are some of my favorites, there are a few recipes that immediately come to mind. For example, her Indian Shakshuka looks out of this world delicious! I always am inspired to cook more Indian when I see easy recipes like this Indian Potato and Cauliflower Curry. A very fall recipe I can’t wait to make is her Chocolate Cardamom Plums Clafoutis.

Here are some other amazing recipes some of my friends shared with Shulie for her Baking with Heritage:

Hop on over to Shulie’s blog to say Hello and see my chocolate rolls (kakaós csiga)!

foodwanderings September 30, 2013 at 8:48 am

Loved reading this guess post by you, Lora. It’s so enriching learning about your heritage and background. I find these heirloom recipes the more special with so much meaning behind them. You are such a talented baker and I learned a lot from you over the years, my friend. Thanks for much for being such a fantastic guest. Shulie

foodwanderings September 30, 2013 at 8:49 am

*so* not *for* :)

Susan September 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

Wonderful! These are the kind of blog posts I love to read the most, where stories about the personal history with the recipe are shared. You are so fortunate, Lora, to have such a rich heritage in your family.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 30, 2013 at 11:30 am

Beautiful rolls, I love the chocolate filling. It’s so much fun to read about family recipes. Headed to your guest post now :).

Ash-foodfashionparty September 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I love family recipes and stories, always fun. Good lookin roles.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts September 30, 2013 at 4:33 pm

These look heavenly! I love how close you are to your heritage, and what an active roll is plays in your life!

elisabeth@foodandthrift September 30, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Lora, you did an outstanding and beautiful job on the Kakaós Csiga…not to mention how delicious and perfect it was. So glad I got to sample it. Mariskanéni would be so proud of you Hungarian classic baking, as I am (since your doing a better job of it than I would have)
Beautifully written about the other side of your proud heritage! xoxo

Jean | lemons & anchovies September 30, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I love hearing about your family and your traditions. Would have loved growing up with these chocolate rolls but I’d happily settle for being able to make them now. :)

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} October 1, 2013 at 12:38 am

What a great post – loving hearing family stories! These look heavenly and just wish I had one right now. :-)

Lizzy (Good Things) October 1, 2013 at 9:56 pm

My absolute favourite… and from a fellow Hungarian to another,nagyon finom!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked October 2, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Food traditions handed down from one generation to the next are the best. Nothing reminds me of my mom or my childhood more than certain dishes. I love that you have such a rich family history, Lora. These chocolate rolls look incredible and I’m going to pop over to Shulie’s blog now to read your guest post. I’ve been following Shulie’s Instagram feed for a long time now and I was thrilled to meet her at IFBC. She’s just as sweet, warm and wonderful as her blog suggests.

Suzanne October 3, 2013 at 12:47 am

I love this post Lora! I enjoyed learning about your Hungarian side of the family and the yummy food they have inspired you to make here. I love the idea that Shulie has come up with sharing our food heritage. And these rolls have me really wanting to make some.

Ferrari Debora October 7, 2013 at 5:24 am

Hello Lora,
I would like to congratulate you for your great blog.
I invite you to come to my blog: http://letortedidebora.blogspot.com a surprise for you waiting for you.
See you soon Debora

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker October 7, 2013 at 11:44 am

These look scrummy. perfect for breakfast

Adri October 10, 2013 at 1:27 am

Oh, but i do love the heritage recipes. When I make my grandmother’s crostoli, I really am transported across the generations. I always love it when I come across old recipes. They are real treasures, and these are no exception. They look great! Thanks! This is my first visit to your site, and i am so glad I stopped by.