Whole Wheat Sea Salt Bagel-#TwelveLoaves January

by cakeduchess on January 1, 2013 · 45 comments

whole-wheat-sea-salt-bagel-1

Hey! Happy New Year! How did the year go by so quickly? I had every intention of doing a roundup of some favorite recipes of mine I found throughout the year and some favorites I posted here on the blog.

Real life things have kept me very busy and maybe one day this month I’ll get to it. In the meantime, aren’t you excited it’s a new #TwelveLoaves challenge? I am!
              TWELVE-LOAVES10
So what is January all about?
#TwelveLoaves January: Clean Slate. Bake a bread, yeast or quick bread, loaf or individual. January #TwelveLoaves is all about a clean slate. After the holiday indulgences, we are starting the year with simplicity. If you’ve been wanting to bake with whole grains and other flours, this is the month to try something new! Share with us your favorite basic bread recipes. Let’s get baking!

Look at what my very talented baking friends from #TwelveLoaves have baked for January.

Alabama Light Bread by Dorothy | Shockingly Delicious

Basic White Bread by Renee | Magnolia Days

Classic Oatmeal Bread by Liz | That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Grandmom’s Dinner Rolls by Jennie from The Messy Baker Blog

Italian Potato Bread by Rosella | Ma Che Ti Sei Mangiato

Molasses Wheat Quick Bread by Deb | Knitstamatic

Pandoro by Paula | Vintage Kitchen

Rosemary Olive Oil Bread by Alice | Hip Foodie Mom

Whole Wheat Pita Bread by Holly | A Baker’s House

Whole Wheat Sea Salt Bagel by Lora | Cake Duchess

I hope you find some inspiration in all of our recipes. Remember, it doesn’t have to be a yeast recipe bread. We also love to see your quick breads, muffins and even scones,

We would love to have you join our #TwelveLoaves group; it’s easy!
1. When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your Bread is inspired by the theme!
2. Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
3. Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this January, 2013 posted on your blog by January 31, 2013.

It’s been a pleasure baking with you since I launched this Twelve Loaves this past May.

Check out what we have been busy baking!
May theme: Focaccia
June theme: Corn Rolls
July theme: Challah
August theme: Summer Fruit
September: Say CHEESE!
October: Seeds, nuts and grains
November: Autumn Fruits: Apples and Pears
December: Boozy Bread

I’ve submitted these delicious bagels to Susan at Wild Yeast Blog .
Follow @TwelveLoaves on Twitter
See what’s freshly baked for #TwelveLoaves on our growing Pinterest board.

whole-wheat-sea-salt-bagel-2

whole-wheat-sea-salt-bagel-3

whole-wheat-sea-salt-bagel-5

some notes about these bagels: I know there are recipes that take proofing overnight and those recipes do make incredible bagels. If you are looking for something a little quicker, this is your recipe. I found it on Le Baker Chick. It takes about three hours from beginning to end to make these fantastic bagels. The brunt of the time is the waiting for the dough to rise and the baking in the oven. These bagels are so good! They have a crispy exterior and soft crumb with right amount of chewiness. When you make these for your family or for your next special breakfast or lunch, everyone will be thanking you! There’s nothing like baking your own bagels. It’s the next best thing to getting bagels in New York City. ;)

Whole Wheat Sea Salt Bagels
makes 6 large or 10 mini bagels

ingredients

1 ½ c warm water (a little warmer than your body temperature- 110 degrees)
4 ½ t active dry yeast (or 2 packets)
3 T sugar
2 t salt
2 c bread flour
1 ½ – 2 c whole wheat flour

Egg wash: 1 egg white and 1T water

Toppings: Kosher salt (you could also use dried garlic, dried onion, poppy seeds and sesame seeds separately, or all together as my favorite: “every thing bagel”)
Directions: Dissolve sugar in water and add yeast. Let stand until the mixture bubbles, a few minutes

Meanwhile, sift together the bread flour, 1 ½ c of the whole wheat flour, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture. Stir to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, adding extra whole wheat flour as needed.
Place dough in a large, greased bowl. Cover and set in a warm place- let rise until doubled size, about an hour.

Divide dough into small pieces with a bench scraper/knife.
Shape each into a ball and allow to relax for a few minutes.

Flatten each round with the palm of your hand.

With thumb press deep into the center of bagel and tear open a hole in the center with your fingers. Pull the hole open. Cover bagels with a kitchen towel and let rest for about 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400.

Bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 T of sugar. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Put 2-3 bagels at a time in to the simmering water for about 30 seconds, turning once. Drain and place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with toppings. Using a spatula or your fingers- flip bagels over and repeat with egg wash and toppings.

Bake for 30-35 mins or until browned.

Thank you for all your support this past year. I appreciate all your comments and really love to hear from you when you try one of the recipes I’ve shared. I wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year. I hope all your dreams come true in 2013!

Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious January 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I have never made bagels, and now that you have showed me how easy it is, I must.

Thank you for inviting me to bake with you. It has been so much fun!

Pippi January 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm

che buoni che devono essere questi biscootti..

Renee Dobbs January 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm

One thing I need to do in 2013 is make bagels. It will be a first for me and this looks like a great recipe to use.

Brian @ A Thought For Food January 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I’m such a bagel snob… that and pizza I am very picky about. But these sea salt bagels really do look wonderful!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough January 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm

LOVE this idea for January! Definitely plan to participate. :) Happy New Year!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen January 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I made bagels many times, but never with whole wheat. It´s such a great idea, since I don´t eat white bread regularly. Wonderful Lora, they came out gorgeous!

knitstamatic January 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Like Brian, I’m a bagel snob (being a New Yorker) but looking at your bagels makes me really want to give it a shot. Making bagels is something I am going to add to my list for 2013.

Katrina Bahl January 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I MUST make bagels in 2013!! :) These are fabulous my dear!! ♥- K

Monet January 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Nothing better than homemade bagels. What a great way to ring in the new year! I want to have a bagel party this weekend. Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. Sending you much love!

Holly @ abakershouse.com January 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I love homemade bagels! Thanks for hosting and encouraging us all to bake at home. I have really enjoyed it and look forward to joining again next month. All the best to you in the New Year!

mellissina2 January 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Happy New Year to you!!!:):)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 1, 2013 at 7:38 pm

These bagels look so good, Lora! I was just craving one the other day – these are exactly what I need! :)

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom January 1, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Lora,
I love that you baked bagels. . I have always wanted to try this . . I am definitely adding this recipe to my culinary bucket list for 2013. . thank you for sharing! :)

Rebecca Subbiah January 1, 2013 at 9:25 pm

looks so good adore bagels happy new year

Savory Simple January 2, 2013 at 12:54 am

This month is looking to be a bit crazy but I’m going to try to jump in during February! I love any excuse to make bread. These bagels sound divine.

Cookin' Canuck January 2, 2013 at 4:14 am

Yes, love these! These are absolutely perfect for the new year, and I know my family would be thrilled if made them some of these bagels. Happy New Year, Lora!

decocinasytacones January 2, 2013 at 7:06 am

Love bagels. What a great recipe!, we don´t have bagles in Spain so I could start making them.
Love
Marialuisa

Jennie @themessybakerblog January 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Lora, these bagels look delicious. Bagels happen to be on my culinary bucket list this year, and I may just have to make these beauties. Happy New Year!

The Café Sucré Farine January 2, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Lora, these look amazing, like they came from a professional bagel bakery, only better! I haven’t done bagels but I think it will be on my to-do list after seeing these mouthwatering treats!

Rossella January 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Wonderful. I love bagels, yours look healthy and inviting.
A big big hug to you.

Carrian Cheney January 2, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I’m all over this. YUM!

Addie K Martin January 2, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Love this :) Bagels are so tasty!

everydaymaven January 2, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I should try making these – it is really hard to get good bagels in Seattle (at least what I am used to from NY / NJ / PA). Happy New Year!

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR Lora!!! I love bagel and only made them once. I will definitely start experimenting with whole wheat flour this year and this is on top of my list. I can never resist a bagel topped with sea salt. Yummmmm.. imagining myself spreading butter, adding some rocket, and then maybe a couple slices of thinly sliced roast beef drizzled with some hp sauce. Ahh.. that’s lunch I am hearing. xoxo, Jo

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Swathi Iyer January 3, 2013 at 3:53 am

Baegel looks really yumm. I love to have with cream cheese.

Erin January 3, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I used to love salt bagels as a kid! Totally forgot about them so now I need to make these

Lucia January 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Really delicious theese bagels!!!

vanillasugarblog January 5, 2013 at 12:42 am

those salty bagels and the asiago ones are the ones I look for at the bakery.
these came out great. I would top mine with cream cheese AND apricot jam.

Lisa January 5, 2013 at 2:14 am

Lora..your bagels look just as good, if not better, than the bagels we get here in Jersey and NYC, big and fat with just the right amount of toppings. I know this sounds crazy, but you could open a bagel shop and make a killing!! I’m dead serious! In any event..as you know, you and your family are in my thoughts xoxo

SeattleDee January 5, 2013 at 3:10 am

I’ve got the lox and cream cheese, now I’m ready to try your quick bagel recipe. Mmmmm, I can almost taste their sea salty goodness.

Wendy January 6, 2013 at 12:00 am

These are delicious! I had never attempted bagels before. Other recipes had wierd ingredients or methods. This was really easy and the results are really good. Thanks for a fun recipe.

The Happy Whisk January 8, 2013 at 4:08 am

Bagels are one my most favorite breads to make. Just so nice to have from the oven. Yum, yum.

Happy Baking :-)

Karen S Booth January 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm

A GREAT theme and I have entered my healthy beet bread with walnuts! Karen

www.you-made-that.com January 10, 2013 at 5:03 am

Hello bagels…these look wonderful and just like they came right out of a professional bakery. I really want to try bagels out soon. Lora, sorry about your Dad and I’m thinking of you and your family. xoxox

Nicole | Daily Dish Recipes January 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I just made bagels for the first time a couple of weeks ago… yours look AH-MAZING! Beautiful and I love the sea salt!
Great post!

Claire January 15, 2013 at 1:57 am

It has been too long since I’ve made bagels and this post is the perfect reminder that homemade bagels are so satisfying. Thanks for sharing your recipe and lovely pictures. Can’t wait to make these this week.

Sally - My Custard Pie January 16, 2013 at 8:34 am

My first time joining in #twelveloaves – and part of my clean slate resolution to bake with you more often. Love your bagels.

Renee Goerger January 16, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I’d definitely stand in long lines to get some of your bagels! They look amazing!!!

Mohsin Akram January 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm

i am definitely gonna make these bagel very soon.

blackberryeating.com February 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Oooh, these bagels look great! I only just found you – sad to have missed the January Twelve Loaves theme, since my food goal this year is to become a better bread baker. What will February’s theme be?