Vanilla Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze– #BundtaMonth

by cakeduchess on November 15, 2012 · 34 comments

vanilla-bundt-cake-caramel-with-caramel-glaze-bundt-a-month-2

I never knew that there was a holiday dedicated to any thing food related until I started Cake Duchess. Every day on Twitter or Facebook I will catch the national holiday of something to do with something delicious.

But today’s food related holiday is one that is near and dear to my heart: National Bundt Day! YES, people. There is a holiday dedicated all for BUNDTS? The humble bundt cake does most certainly deserve its own holiday. Anuradha and I created Bundt a Month a few months back with the idea to have one day a month that is all about bundt. We found some likeminded bakers that are very talented and share this mutual love for bundts. We decided with our talented baking friends to post today. Yes, I know! You may be grumbling that you just saw a bundt here a couple of weeks ago.

I think you may forgive me once you are hypnotized by this bundt’s rich caramel glaze.The sticky caramel drips and oozes off the bundts’ curvy sides beckoning you to take a bite.  It’s too late to run and hide; you’re mesmerized by its spell.

What is BundtaMonth?
A new series from Baker Street and Lora from Cake Duchess who share the same love for Bundts. Anuradha and I are, simply put, crazy for Bundt cakes. This is a love affair that is going to go the distance. We decided to collaborate and host an event where we’ll bake a Bundt cake with a different theme every month: Bundt a Month!

How can you be a part of it?
Anuradha and I will pick an ingredient and announce it the first week of every month. All you Bundt loving bakers need to do is use your imagination on how you’d like to incorporate it and bake a Bundt – mini Bundt or large Bundt – and link it up to our blogs throughout the month. It’s that simple!

BundtaMonth

Want to see what #BundtaMonth bakers has been busy baking these last few months?
Dive into our delicious bundt recipes!
September: Zucchini
October: Pumpkin
November: Spicy

Hop over to our Pinterest board for over 300+ bundt recipes and check out our new BundtaMonth page on Facebook too.

vanilla-bundt-cake-with-caramel-glaze-bunt-a-month-3

vanilla-bundt-cake-with-caramel-glaze-bundt-a-month-4

Look at what the very talented Bundt a Month bakers created for today:

Chocolate Ganache Draped Banana Bundt Cake and Earl Grey Chocolate Bundt Cake by Laura | The Spiced Life
Chocolate Hazelnut Baby Bundt Cakes by Paula | Vintage Kitchen Notes
Cinnamon Crusted Sweet Potato Bundt with Honey Glaze by Kate | Food Babbles
Coconut and Rum Bundt Cake for National Bundt Cake Day by Carrie | Poet In The Pantry
Cream Cheese Swirled Chocolate Bundt Cake by Anuradha | Baker Street
Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake with Hazelnuts by Alice | Hip Foodie Mom
Vanilla Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze by Lora | Cake Duchess

a little about this bundt cake:

You may have noticed I’m trying to keep things lighter around here. I may be sharing more vegan recipes than normal in these coming weeks.  People, the holidays are coming up! Even though I share most of what I bake with family and friends, I do like to take a sample of the sweets sometimes. There were so many different bundts I wanted to share here. There was my standard vanilla bundt that is a keeper recipe. Instead I used this recipe from Versatile Vegetarian. This bundt cake is very moist from the coconut milk and apple sauce. It’s the perfect vegan bundt cake recipe to be doctored up the way you like it. I chose a luscious caramel glaze because, well…I just LOVE caramel. So there you have it. If you aren’t into caramel glazes (who isn’t into carmel?!?), you can do a nice dusting of powdered sugar.

Vanilla Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze

For the cake:

3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
13.5 ounce coconut milk
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or lime juice)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Glaze Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter *I used Earth Balance soy free margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Cake Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a bundt pan with non-stick baking spray (or you can butter and flour the pan-I prefer baking spray).

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together oil, apple sauce, sugar, lemon juice and the vanilla extract. Add flour mixture and coconut milk alternately starting and ending with flour mixture. Using a spatula, scrape the sides of the bowl and incorporate all the batter. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 1/2 on hour at 350 F then lower the heat to 325 F and bake for about another  15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cool slightly before removing to a rack to cool completely.

When cake is just about ready, make the glaze.

Glaze Directions:
In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Add the corn syrup, and vanilla and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.  Pour hot glaze over cooled cake. PS: I had about a cup of the caramel glaze leftover. I will be using it another recipe soon-it won’t go to waste. ;)

buon appetito!

happy baking xo

Lora

everydaymaven November 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Love, love, love that you are using these ingredients! This looks amazing!

Pretend Chef November 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Yummy!

Brian @ A Thought For Food November 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

This looks like one mean bundt! Where’s my fork?!?!?!

decocinasytacones November 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I could eat a piece of than right now.
Wow….yummy!
Love
Marialuisa

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen November 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm

There can never be too many bundt cakes in one blog Lora, especially if it involves caramel! This is a goooood looking cake!

Alison Roomberg November 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm

i love the bundt-a-month idea, and i have a bundt in the oven right now! i’ll be linking up… thanks!

Micha November 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm

This cake blows my mind that it’s vegan. My youngest has a dairy allergy and although he can tolerate milk in baked goods, sometimes I want to do something dairy free or even vegan just because. Thanks for sharing this recipe and I’m gonna have to add it to my list :)

Angie's Recipes November 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Coconut milk, applesauce…I definitely will love this bundt cake. The glaze looks super too.

Holly @ abakershouse.com November 15, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I am sorry I didn’t get a bundt baked in time for Bundt Day but what a treat to see yours and the others too. Gorgeous! And I think that caramel glaze is especially nice, can I have a bowl of it please??

The Mom Chef November 15, 2012 at 8:52 pm

It’s a good thing you lightened up that bundt because I’ll be downing half of it on my own. That caramel dripping down the sides is just calling my name.

Lizzy Do November 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

This may be my favorite Bundt cake you’ve ever posted! That caramel glaze looks incredible! Happy National Bundt Day!

Swathi Iyer November 16, 2012 at 1:40 am

Love this bundt cake Lorra, Yumy, glaze looks pefect.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 16, 2012 at 2:38 am

I’m drooling over that caramel glaze! Please save me a slice :).

Patty November 16, 2012 at 2:45 am

Happy National Bundt Day!! You’ve really celebrated it in style with this lovely cake, love that glaze;-)

Jeannie Tay November 16, 2012 at 4:57 am

What a wonderful looking cake! I love the glaze, makes the cake even more moist and delicious!

Munatycooking November 16, 2012 at 8:24 am

Oh Lora, you made my sweet tooth extremely happy LOL! Your bundt cake looks so moist and adding that caramel glaze, MAN! I can’t wait to take bite :)

Lemons and Anchovies November 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Great idea to lighten things up–I’ve been trying to do the same thing. Most of the sweets I make end up at the office. Always nice to enjoy some treats without much guilt, especially since I’d devour this beautiful bundt. :)

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom November 16, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Lora, LOVE this! Your bundt looks so moist and delicious!!! Perfect for National bundt day!

Ilke November 16, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Very pretty and I can understand the desire to bake this beauty! I will actually admit that I am not a caramel person and rely on powder sugar a lot for decorating :)

Laura November 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Can you taste the coconut milk? I am totally intrigued! And the caramel sauce-whoa.

Deb Christie November 18, 2012 at 9:17 am

This cake looks beautiful and I am going to have to try it. I have the same Bundt pan.

Kate@Diethood November 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Oh mah gosh, this cake is beyond gorgeous! Beautiful job, Lora, as always.
I’m sorry I couldn’t participate for this one… I am so pressed for time!!

Katrina November 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Is there an ingredient missing? I see oil in the mixing instructions but not in the ingredient list.

Cake Duchess November 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for pointing out and it’s there now:)

Lisa November 18, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Holy crap, Lora…I must have this bundt..especially since I’m a vanilla fiend to the core…much more than chocolate! That glaze is killing me!! xoxo

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts November 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Love that caramel glaze – so gooey and delicious!

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } November 20, 2012 at 2:49 am

Your glaze is amazing!! I always forget about the traditional bundt cake. Glad to see that you are making one a month. Will have to check out the pinterest board. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Baker Street November 20, 2012 at 3:43 am

The shot of the caramel drizzle falling of the sides is totally doing the trick for me! What a gorgeous cake, Lora! I want a slice and I want it NOW! :)

Kim Bee November 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

For the life of me I couldn’t remember if I commented on this or not. But I knew I had to stare at it again. It’s making my tummy rumble.

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks November 21, 2012 at 2:49 am

Bundt cakes are one of my favourites and then you add caramel, it’s irresistible! This bundt looks wonderful and I love that you lightened it up a bit!

Magic of Spice November 21, 2012 at 3:10 am

Oh wow! The glaze alone is killing me…I need a treatright about now :)

Paula November 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I love this Bundt a Month you and An created. This vanilla bundt is taken over the edge with your caramel glaze :)

Anne October 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Just want to say WOW! Made this last week and it turned out moist and beautiful once the glaze and down it’s thing. Thank-you so much for sharing. One more thing, it was not overly sweet at all as the caramel glaze just seemed to kiss the cake as it graciously slide down it’s sides. Yummy!

Anne October 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Noticed typo’s on my previous post. Once the glaze had done it’s thing.
And slid not slide down it’s sides