Cranberry-Apple Pie

by cakeduchess on November 26, 2012 · 28 comments

cranberry-apple-pie-2

It can’t already be time to start planning for the holidays. I swear I’m still nibbling on Halloween candy I have stashed in my secret hiding place.

I’ve even come across on the web some desserts made recently with Halloween type candy.  My mind was frozen in October even way past October’s ending. Where did the time go?

As the weeks rushed by I found myself without any cooking plans for Thanksgiving. I know I’ve mentioned I’m not the best planner, but I do always have a menu written out somewhere at least a week before the big day. There are usually some amazing recipes that have caught my eye printed out or the magazine pages bookmarked. I do really love trying new side dishes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. But this year I just couldn’t get into the menu planning groove. Family things came up and food wasn’t on my mind like it usually is. I didn’t even bake my desserts until the morning of Thanksgiving.
It was a beautiful afternoon spent with my family and my parents and my brother and his children (sorry, I know the holiday is way over and most of you are already on Christmas but my mom reminded me I didn’t even mention Thanksgiving in my last post!). My mom made her usual delicious turkey and hubs and I made some sides. I made an incredible sweet potato recipe from November Bon Appetit. I promise to share it with you because it was THAT good!

cranberry-apple-pie-1
I was considering which pies to make from some magazines from last year. Last year I baked an apple-grape pie and it was really good. This was a pie I found in Cooking Light November 2011. I used the crust recipe I normally do and did the filling a little different.

cranberry-apple-pie-3
I know I’ve been sharing some fun quick breads here on Monday. I’ll be back on Thursday so you can see a new one then!

My favorite apple pies I’ve shared here:
Grape and Apple Pie
Apple-Limoncello Pie
Salted Caramel Apple Pie

IMG_2341
A little about this pie: I am a huge pie lover. My heart skips a beat for an amazing apple pie. If you love cranberries, you have to give this recipe a try. The filling has that little tart surprise in each bite from the cranberries. The crust is the same crust I always make that I found in an older Martha Stewart book. It never fails me. Well, it did fail me a little this Thanksgiving. It really wasn’t the pie crusts fault. It was my fault. I was rushing and I made two different pies.

My pumpkin pie crust turned out dreamily. This crust had some major technical issues. I dealt with it and tried to roll it out the way it should roll out. It just wasn’t happening. I couldn’t fight it any longer and decided to just press the bottom into the pie crust before I tossed the whole thing away. I had much better luck with the lattice strips. Probably because I found a little patience and let it chill a little longer before working with it. But if you do come across an issue with the bottom of your crust, it’s totally fine to press it into the pie plate. Nobody will notice the difference. If you aren’t inclined to make your own crust, go ahead and use a ready made one. I got plenty of compliments on a pie I thought almost wouldn’t be. Would you like to see some photos on how to roll out the crust? I shared some here last year with my grape and apple pie.

Cranberry-Apple Pie

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
2/3 cup grade B maple syrup

For Egg Wash:
1 lightly beaten egg

Directions:

Cranberry-Apple filling: Dredge all the apple slices in the freshly squeezed lemon juice to prevent browning and to add flavor. Toss the apples in the flour. Set the prepared apples aside.
In a medium-sized skillet on medium heat, toss in the brown sugar and butter. When the butter has melted, add the apples into the brown sugar mixture. Cook them in the mixture for about 5 minutes. Fold the cranberries and maple syrup into the apple mixture and set aside to cool for about ten minutes in a small bowl.

Pie Crust:Hand Method: In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt. Cut the chilled butter and margarine into 1-tablespoon bits and add to the flour. With a pastry cutter, work flour and shortening together until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the ice water little by little pressing the pastry together into a ball. Wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.

It is very important to work the pastry as little as possible. Don’t over handle. A secret to light, flaky pastry is to keep the mixture cool, add as little water as possible, and mix only as much as necessary.

Food Processor Method: Put flour and salt in bowl of machine. Cut butter and margarine into flour. Process a few seconds until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drop by drop add the water, processing very briefly. The whole process would take 20 to 30 seconds. Wrap and chill the pastry for at least 1 hour.
If pastry has been chilled for a long time, let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before rolling.
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Lightly flour a pastry board, marble counter, or kitchen counter. Divide the pastry in half. Pat each piece of pastry into a flat round. Lightly flour the rolling pin. Roll pastry in one direction only, turning pastry continually to prevent it from sticking to the surface.

Using pie plate as a guide, measure rolled-out pastry — it should be slightly larger than the pie plate and 1/8-inch thick. Fold rolled pastry circle in half so you can lift it more easily. Unfold, gently fitting the pastry into the pie plate, allowing pastry to hang evenly over the edge. Roll out the second half and carefully cut out lattice strips. Fill the pie crust with the filling and gently place the lattice strips on top of the filling.
Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle on a little turbinado (raw) sugar. It makes the pie sparkly and really pretty.

Place pie on baking sheet.

Bake pie until crust is golden brown and juices bubble, 50 minutes–1 hour.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool. DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Serve with ice cream, if desired

There is nothing like the smell of a warm pie just about ready to slice. Thanks for stopping by. What new pie did you bake for Thanksgiving?
xo

Lora

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen November 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I love the pics you took Lora! This is a perfect pie for christmas, just wonderful. I used to make lists too, though they were a bit ambitious, I would never have the time to make every single recipe.

Amy November 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm

What a beautiful Pie Lora :)! Love this, especially the addition of the tart cnanberries! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sandra SECooking November 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I remember your delicious pie when you guest posted. This one looks just as tempting as any of your pies. Have a wonderful week!!!

Jenny @ BAKE November 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm

what a brilliant pie fruit combo! I am going to have to make this for Boxing Day at the in-Laws! I know what you mean about the time! I’m never going to get everything done at this rate!

Becky November 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Lora,
Your pie is gorgeous. We made a door county Cherry Cranberry Pie, but the filling was too runny. Next time we’ll cook the filling on the stove first to make sure that it thickens. Looks like your filling was fine. glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

Zoe November 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Hi Lora,

This is always the time of the year that pass by so quickly. It seems like just Halloween yesterday and now we are cooking and baking for Thanksgiving…

Your cranberry apple pie looks very festive to me… and this means that Christmas is coming soon.

Zoe

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 26, 2012 at 11:40 pm

What a beautiful pie and so perfect for this time of year.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 27, 2012 at 12:04 am

Beautiful pie, Lora! I love the cranberry-apple filling!

Paula November 27, 2012 at 2:06 am

I know that your crust would melt in my mouth. What a nice combination, apples and cranberries. Looks very festive. I can’t believe that we are almost at the end of November, nor can I believe that I ate all the leftover Halloween candy :)
Hope all is well Lora.

Vivian Pang November 27, 2012 at 3:35 am

Beautiful pie. I’m craving pie lately. Going to make French apple pie. Hope it turns out well. Do visit my humble blog when you free.

The Café Sucré Farine November 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Yum! Maybe you should change your name to “Pie Duchess”, this looks amazing. I’m sure the family gobbled this one up! Love your turbinado sugar on the top, raw sugar make everything look so pretty.

www.you-made-that.com November 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Yum, my sister-in-law always makes this for Thanksgiving. We missed it this year since we were out of town, thanks for the reminder of how good it is.

Valerie November 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’m still noshing on Halloween candy too, and I just made an apple pie…great minds! :D

I love the idea of tossing cranberries into anything. This pie is beautiful. Great work on the lattice crust!!

Patty November 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Love my pies at Thanksgiving and this combination of ingredients has to be one of my all time favorites!!! I still have a bag of cranberries in the fridge-probably because I’m always thinking about baking one more pie ;-) Thanks for sharing your recipe;-)

Swathi Iyer November 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Cranberry and apple made for each other love this pie.

Addie K Martin November 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Great minds think alike! I’m working on a cranberry apple pie recipe too. Love that flavor combo! :)

Carrian Cheney November 28, 2012 at 1:48 am

So beautiful, looks amazing, I just want to take a bite out of the picture!

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } November 28, 2012 at 3:13 am

What a perfect pie! So wonderful for the holiday season. I am sure your house smelled amazing!

Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings November 28, 2012 at 7:16 am

Such a great-looking pie, Lora! Can you believe I’ve never really made home made pie yet? Soon, soon…

Rosa's Yummy Yums November 28, 2012 at 7:18 am

A beautiful pie! That combination is just heavenly. Perfect in all ways…

Cheers,

Rosa

Jamie November 28, 2012 at 11:43 am

I love apple pie. I love cranberries. I must make this and I especially want to try your crust. I love mine but yours looks like it may become another favorite!

Lisa November 28, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Mouth-watering like I always tell you! I just started liking cranberries about a year ago! This pie is definitely going on my ‘to bake’ list :) xo

Kristina @ spabettie November 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm

YES Thanksgiving is over and I am all about Christmas ;) but it is always good to hear you had a nice holiday!!

I love pie… all of the pie. every pie. this sounds perfect – sweet and tart at the same time, yum!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking November 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I’m so ready fro Christmas. Cranberries treats are so in season right now and your pie sounds amazing. Love the fruit combo

Magic of Spice November 30, 2012 at 12:05 am

What a beautiful pie Lora! Sorry about your crust problem, but glad you had a fix :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts November 30, 2012 at 2:52 am

I still have lots of Halloween candy in the house too. I am not ready to think about the holidays yet, but I am not sure I have a choice :( This pie looks gorgeous! Love the cranberry and apple together!

Baker Street December 6, 2012 at 7:59 am

What a beautiful pie, Lora! Love the cran – apple combination! :)