Apple Bread Ring- #TwelveLoaves November

by cakeduchess on November 5, 2012 · 41 comments

apple-bread-ring-1
Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year to bake and cook. I am very partial to apple desserts and have a long list of things I’d like to try every day if I had the time.

It was a very easy decision to have #TwelveLoaves November be all about Autumn Fruits: Apples and Pears! I know some of our baking friends have been wondering what the theme is and we are so happy you’re anxious to bake with us. We are announcing the theme the first Monday of every month. You can chat with us @TwelveLoaves on Twitter and share with us your suggestions for future ideas. We love to hear from you!

TWELVE-LOAVES10
October was an incredible bread baking month all about nuts, seeds and grains. You all really loved the theme and I was amazed with the over 30 mouth watering bread entries. Thank you for baking with us again!! Check out all the fabulous October recipes here!
apple-bread-ring-4
Autumn Bread with Apples or Pear:
Bake a bread, yeast or quick bread (*did you know a coffee cake is considered a quick bread? You can read about it here), loaf or individual, filled, stuffed, studded or topped with autumn fruits: apples or pear! You can bake with just apples or just pears or with both. It’s your bread…we want you to have fun with the idea!

Check out Barb’s beautiful: Upside-Down Pear Crunch Coffee Cake

Just follow the rules, it’s as easy as pie:
1. When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your post and mention and  link back to this blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your Bread is inspired by the theme! This is obligatory if you would like your link to be included!
2. Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
3. Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this November, 2012 posted on your blog by November 30, 2012.

Do you tweet? We sure do!
Follow @TwelveLoaves on Twitter
See what’s freshly baked for #TwelveLoaves : @TwelveLoaves on Twitter
Chat with the bakers this November! Lora @cakeduchess , Barb @creativculinary , It’s been a pleasure #BreakingBread with you since I launched this Breaking Bread Society (now Twelve Loaves) this past May. Check out what we have been busy baking!

May theme: Focaccia
June theme: Corn Rolls
July theme: Challah
August theme: Summer Fruit
September: Say CHEESE!
October: Seeds, nuts and grains

apple-bread-ring-3

IMG_2109
Have a specific question about #TwelveLoaves ? Contact the founder Lora @cakeduchess
or cakeduchess @ aol.com :)

What are you waiting for?!? Let’s bake some bread!

I am sharing this lovely bread at the weekly  Yeastspotting run by the lovely Susan  Wild Yeast and Heather from Girli Chef’s Bake Your Own Bread. :)
IMG_2112

Lora’s baking notes: Apple and pear bread month was a tough one for me.  I was debating over probably 5 different recipes!  The decision was settled when I came across this gorgeous apple bread ring here on the Delectable Hodge Podge and another recipe at Daily Delicious . Daily Delicious’ recipe does have a little bit of cake flour. I did have some on hand and incorporated about a 1/2 cup. It was a very soft and supple dough. If you don’t have cake flour on hand, you can use all bread flour or all-purpose flour instead.
This bread is not too fussy to make at all. The tricky part of the recipe is rolling, slicing and moving the sliced rings. Be sure to have an completely cooled filling. Also, it may come apart a little while transferring to the pan like it did for me. No problem! Just roll out your dough piece and refill. My dad suggested using a spatula instead of my hands to move the filled ring to the pan. Great tip, dad!! He was anxiously waiting for this to be ready to try it. My daughter told me, “Mom, you should be proud of yourself. This is one of your best recipes.” My husband told me, “It’s amazing. Soft and delicious. Complimenti! (that’s saying compliments to you in Italian).” My son thought the sugar icing was the best part. I seriously can’t wait to bake this again because apple recipes are my favorite.

Apple Bread Ring
equipment: One 9” round cake pan

Dough Ingredients:

7/8 cup warm milk (no more than 110°F [43°C])
1¼ tsp. ( 1 packet) active dry yeast
3-3 1/2 cups bread flour (I used about 3 cups of bread flour and 1/2 cup cake flour)
4 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
4½ Tablespoons butter, room temperature

Apple Filling

1/3 cup light brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
5 to 6 medium to large apples (I used Fuji), peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
juice of two lemons

Egg Wash:
1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water whisked together

Icing:1 cup powdered sugar
3 tsps. milk

In a mixer, with a dough hook attachment, add the warm milk and yeast. Mix until blended.  Add the sugar and mix about a minute. Slowly mix in 1 cup of the flour until combined. Mix in the eggs one at a time until they are combined. Then add the butter in small chunks and beat well. Add the remaining flour a handful at a time and mix in until a soft but kneadable dough is achieved and the butter thoroughly incorporated. If dough is still too sticky, add flour a tablespoon at a time to achieve the right consistency. Do not add too much flour.

Knead the dough by hand on counter until it is smooth and satiny for a couple of minutes. Add a touch of flour if dough is too sticky.
Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise and room temperature until doubled in size, 1 – 1  1/2 hours.

While the dough is rising, make the apple filling:

In a medium-sized skillet on medium heat, toss in the brown sugar and butter. When the butter has melted. Add the apples, water, cinnamon and lemon juice to the sugar mixture. Cook the apples until most of the water evaporates; remove from the heat and let cool completelyDSCN9778

Spray your cake pan with baking spray (or butter and flour)and set aside. Deflate the dough and dump out onto a clean counter or pastry board. Roll the dough out into a rectangular sheet about 16″ by 12″ (40cm by 30cm).
Spread the cooled apple filling over leaving a little dough exposed around the edge.
Carefully roll the dough into a cylinder along the long side. Pinch the dough along the seam to hold it closed, then put the seam on the bottom and adjust the carefully shape into a cylinder.
With a very sharp knife, cut the log into 7-8 slices. DSCN9782
Place the sliced pieces into the pans, with the flat sliced edge down and the seam on the inside. Leave a space in the middle because the dough will expand more while it’s resting before baking and you don’t want it too squished up. *My dad was here and suggested I use a spatula to lift the rolls from my pastry board to carefully place in the cake pan.
I had an extra apple ring leftover and placed it into another sprayed cake pan.
Set aside to rise uncovered until doubled in size; approximately 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Brush the apple rings with egg wash and bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Here it is HOT out of the oven! Smells incredible!!

When cooled, carefully remove the apple bread ring to a serving plate and drizzle on the icing. Enjoy!

Happy Baking!

xo Lora

Brian @ A Thought For Food November 5, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Fan-freakin-tastic! I could just start pulling apart this loaf right now. Looks amazing!

Jean November 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I love apple desserts already but this has ticked up the craving for some even more. I love this way this is made. So pretty to look at and I’m sure, wonderful to eat!

Southern Girls Kitchen November 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Wow.. that looks incredible!!

lena November 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

this is beautiful, lora! like a flower how you present it!can imagine how good it is! i dun know is it something wrong with mu computer, couldnt see the linky..

Jamie November 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm

This is so beautiful!!! And I was craving something like this so I might just have to try this recipe, too. It looks light and airy and so flavorful. I love autumn baking, too, mostly with apples (JP’s favorite) and am waiting for my kitchen back so I can bake an apple cake!

Elisabeth November 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I totally missed this beautiful and delicious apple bread, Lora! Where was I when you made it?…or did you guys eat it all (actually I remember seeing a small leftover piece after the next day) Gorgeous, and delicious; you’ll just have to make it again, so I can try this with a nice cup of Latte:)xo

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen November 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Simply gorgeous Lora, your bread looks amazing! It´s the type of thing I love to bake by the way, yeasted and sweet. Great november theme.

Munatycooking November 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

It’s gorgeous! Looks so light and yummy. I’ve just visited another foodie friend’s blog who made an apple pie, my craving meter reached the top after seeing this gorgeous bread ring. Golden color and fresh looking yum :)

Karen November 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm

That’s so beautiful and sounds delicious. I definitely want to try this! Oh, and I love your plate!

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

One month you and I have to challenge ourselves…I’ll do the yeast one and you do the quick bread…but then I’m not the expert you are and would surely disappoint!

Looks gorgeous my friend.

Paula November 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

This ring is gorgeous and between you and Barb’s pear crunch bread/loaf I am craving for a piece of each!

Swathi Iyer November 6, 2012 at 4:16 am

This is one of delicious rings, Love apple and pear combo.

Lisa November 6, 2012 at 6:20 am

I actually laughed when I first saw this beautiful apple ring..laughed in a way that that said “OMG..she did it again..I want it now!”. I still want it. Gorgeous photos!! xo

Cindy B. November 6, 2012 at 11:21 am

These look soooo good, I got to try it, thanks so much for sharing.

Kate @ Diethood November 6, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Lora, if we ever meet in person, promise me that you will bring one of your delicious breads with you. And leave me alone with it in a closet… Thanks.

Lizzy Do November 7, 2012 at 10:57 am

This has got to be one of the most tempting, delicious recipes you’ve shared (and I’ve been tempted by most of them!!!!). I love apples in baked goods, and your rolls are pure perfection!!! xo

Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez November 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm

This. Is. Stunning. I really do wish that I could just skip to the “eating it” part right this minute. I love the apple/pear theme this month and I’m definitely going to try to get something baked using one or the other. Autumn is my favorite season (for baking or anything…). =) Thanks for sharing your gorgeous loaf with BYOB this month, too!

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks November 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

This looks absolutely delicious, and I could absolutely use a piece right now with my coffee! Thanks for sharing.

recipeland-happyzhangbo November 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Wow, looks yummy. I need to one or two pieces right now. Perfect for breakfast on cold morning like now :)

Carol | a cup of mascarpone November 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

OMGoodness!!! Lora, this looks absolutely amazing!

Kristina @ spabettie November 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm

this looks incredible – I really wish I had this in front of me right now… I may have to try this myself, YUM

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough November 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm

This looks sooooooo tasty. I fear I’d eat the whole thing in one sitting. :)

www.you-made-that.com November 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Wow, these look heavenly, love the apples in here and glaze of course make these extra special.

Cookin' Canuck November 7, 2012 at 7:27 pm

That is so pretty! This would be a perfect breakfast treat on Christmas morning.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts November 8, 2012 at 2:25 am

Kind of like cinnamon rolls, but wit apples. Perfect for fall, delicious!

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } November 8, 2012 at 3:48 am

AMAZING! This is such a wonderful bread and recipe! Pinning now.

The KitchenMaid November 8, 2012 at 7:25 am

Lora, that’s gorgeous AND very inspiring… I’ve just had what I hope is a brilliant idea for this month, I’ll let you know after the weekend if it works out!

Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP) November 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm

OMG! I want this for breakfast now! Do you take orders? Deliver?

Noelle November 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hey there! I was inspired by your recipe and made some Apple Cinnamon Almond Rolls! http://www.singerskitchen.com/2012/11/apple-cinnamon-almond-rolls.html

Cake Duchess November 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hi Noelle-I saw them last night on Pinterest-yum! Link them up:)

Kate | Food Babbles November 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I just want to make this right now! Since learning what the challenge was this month, I can only think about your bread ring. I see it in my sleep! I will be making this very soon. Lovely job! So tempting and beautiful

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 9, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I can close my eyes and taste the apples and bread in my mouth. I want one of these right now!

Leslie Limon November 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Oh my goodness! This looks amazing! I can almost taste it! Oh how I wish I could reach into my computer screen and grab a slice to enjoy with my morning coffee. :)

Kerri November 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Yum Yum Yum – and Double Yum!

Averie @ Averie Cooks November 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

This is stunning! I’ve been on a bread-making rampage lately and had no idea you were doing this challenge this month – as I’ve posted like 4-5 yeast breads already. Pinning this one! So pretty!

Jayne November 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm

This looks amazing! Absolutley delicious, gorgeous picture!

Sherron Watson December 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm

This bread is amazing Lora, every time I see it I wish I could have a big piece of it. Sherron from Simply Gourmet.

Lia October 9, 2013 at 10:21 am

Wow super deliciosa, la hice y me quedo espectacular, se la recomiendo, gracias por compartir esta receta :)

cakeduchess October 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

gracias, Lia! soy contenta que te quedo spectacular!

Connie November 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm

How do I make this delicious masterpiece, my mixer does not have a dough hook. I am anxiously waiting your reply. Thanks so much!!!!

cakeduchess November 17, 2013 at 9:03 am

Hi Connie-The dough would have to be mixed together with a wooden spoon. Then you begin the kneading process by hand. It takes a little longer than with the mixer and dough hook attachment method and requires some arm work…but it is a fantastic arm workout! Here is a link that has some info on how to knead the dough.http://www.thekitchn.com/bread-baking-tip-how-to-tell-w-156772

So basically, mix the ingredients together, knead until it is incorporated and the right texture, then follow the rest of the recipe (resting/rising time). Hope that helps!:)