Apple and Almond Custard Tart

by cakeduchess on November 29, 2012 · 21 comments

apple-and-almond-custard-tart-4
I know it’s going to seem like I baked two apple desserts in one week. I’m also aware that not all of you may share the same love of apple desserts as much as I do. Please bear with me while I get these apple desserts out of my system.

I baked this tart before I did the cranberry-apple pie for Thanksgiving. But after looking at this pretty tart again, I’m going to remember making it next year for Thanksgiving. This was one of those recipes I came across years ago and never got to bake. It was from the same Everyday Food issue that I found these rolls in. I may have waited 5 years to try the recipe, but it was definitely worth the wait.

apple-and-almond-custard-tart-1
And here’s the thing…if I don’t sit down and share my photos and this recipe today, it may never happen and I’ll regret it.

apple-and-almond-custard-tart-2
Don’t miss out on what everyone baked this week. Throughout the day the links will be added below and you can get some great holiday baking ideas from them! Want to join the fun? Hop on over here to Meal Planning Magic and join us. As I mentioned, I have always plenty of canned pumpkin on hand and pumpkin breads make a lovely holiday gift. :)

graphic1-updated[2][2]
apple-and-almond-custard-tart-5

a little about this tart: As I mentioned, this was from the same Everyday Food (December 2007) that I found this fantastic no-knead dinner rolls in. It was a recipe from a read that they featured towards the back of the magazine. The reader mentions the crust is super soft and it is. I had to use a spatula to spread it into my tart pan. I didn’t have any heavy cream on hand and used regular milk for the filling. It seemed for a while it just wasn’t going to come together and I thought it may not end up looking pretty but would at least taste good. I was happy that it set and was not only very pretty, it was also very good! So if you’re as crazy about apple as I am, this is a really nice tart to enjoy on a cool fall day with a cup of a tea and a good book. You know I’m just dreaming with that scenario. If I had oodles of free time, that’s how I would enjoy this tart.

Apple and Almond Custard Tart

for the crust:3/4 c all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 t baking powder
6 T (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2c sugar
1 large egg
1/2 t pure almond extract

for the filling:4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 t finely grated lemon zest and 1 T fresh lemon juice (from one lemon)
3 T all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 c heavy cream
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/3 c sliced blanched almonds

Directions:
Make the crust: In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract; beat until combined. With mixer on low, add flour mixture; mix just until combined.

Using an offset spatula or table knife, spread dough in a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan, evenly covering bottom and sides. Freeze for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350, and make filling: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1/4 c sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and lemon zest; mix until combined. With mixer on low, add flour and then cream; mix just until smooth (do not overmix). Set aside.

In a medium bowl, toss apple with lemon juice; arrange evenly in tart pan over chilled dough. Spread filling
over apple; sprinkle with almonds and remaining 1/4 c sugar. Place tar pan on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until golden and set, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

buon appetito! happy baking!
xo
Lora

Pippi November 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm

ma che bella con quelle mandorle tostate..

Kim@hungryhealthygirl November 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm

This looks wonderful and I am crazy about apples, but haven’t baked with them nearly enough….yet!

Andrew's Mom November 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Lora – I am going to make this tart – it looks incredible!

Paula November 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I love desserts with apples. This tart is gorgeous and the sliced almonds is such a nice paring with with apple. I’ve always been afraid to use milk in a recipe when it calls for heavy cream. Nice to know that for this tart at least, it worked! Yeah :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 29, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Beautiful tart, Lora! I love the apple and almond custard!

Elaine November 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

This is such an impressive and pretty dessert! Almost too pretty to eat :)

Kate | Food Babbles November 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm

If I had any free time, I’d like to enjoy this tart with a cup of tea and a good book too ;) I used to read a book in a week, now it takes me several weeks to get through a book since I can only read in short clips of kid-free time. I love making tarts and this one looks I need to try. Definitely bookmarking it and hope to make it in less than 5 years ;) It’s lovely and I adore apples and almonds together.

Kate@Diethood November 30, 2012 at 2:23 am

Lora, this is gorgeous, and all kinds of delicious!!

Swathi Iyer November 30, 2012 at 5:06 am

Lora, this really creamy and nutty tart I am in.

Addie K Martin November 30, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Yum, I love almond and apples together. This looks delicious! :)

Carol | a cup of mascarpone November 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm

This is stunning, Lora! In love with it!!!

Valerie November 30, 2012 at 11:56 pm

This is a gorgeous tart! One can never have too many apple recipes. Ever.

Shulie Foodwanderings December 1, 2012 at 1:06 am

me, me, me, I share your love for everything apples. I got four granny smiths sitting here. Dang gurl this tart looks incredible. Purrfect crust. Seriously you are a genius. No small feat to achieve it and the photographs yum. Only thing you need to invite me! Christmas? :)

Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction December 1, 2012 at 1:46 am

Lora – I’m a Twitter follower and I love this pretty tart. I’ve never made a tart but this one looks like it would be a great one to try. I made a Shoofly Pie for my post in the blog hop this week. Hope you get a chance to stop by. http://bakewelljunction.wordpress.com/2012/11/28/12-weeks-of-christmas-treats-week-10-shoofly-pie/

Lorraine Joy Alegria-Vizcarra December 1, 2012 at 4:42 am

The tart looks wonderful.

Kathy December 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

This tart looks gorgeous! Love anything with custard…yum!

Jennifer @ Delicieux December 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

This tart looks absolutely divine! In fact my mouth is watering, and I know my husband would love this as he loves anything with apple.

Lisa December 4, 2012 at 1:15 am

I love custard tarts of all kinds and your almond take is delicious..I can tell ;D I have so much catching up to do here!

Baker Street December 6, 2012 at 8:01 am

This is on my must bake list! I LOVE custard tarts! The almond topping looks amazing.

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks December 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm

What a beautiful tart! I love this kind of tart and I think I will make this for Christmas!

mary lou March 10, 2013 at 1:19 am

This is on my A+ first prize list of food blog recipes i’ve saved.

My husband made this for my birthday this past Monday, all by himself!
I am sorry to say it is gone and I’ve asked for another soon. quick. NOW!

To me it is very European, elegant looking and not too sweet. Subtitle, not overly appley, very delicate lovely flavor -love the crust- oh i love it all! And it is versatile,
on our final pieces we added fresh strawberry chunks and blueberries, plus a dollop of sour cream

Yes, the crust was a booger to spread, sticky he said, wouldn’t let go of spreader to adhere to pan. And altho the bottom crust didn’t get as olden pretty and firm as the sides, after chilling in frig it seemed to meld with the cream filling. (will try it on bottom rack next time) Oh and the cream filling, love the weight and texture. All around divine!! . Thanks for passing it on.

can you tell i really reallly like this??!!