Pumpkin Lasagne and a Delicious Fall Roundup

by cakeduchess on October 12, 2012 · 23 comments

The temperatures are starting to drop a little here in south Florida.
lasagne-alle-zucca-pumpkin-lasagne-1[4]
We opened the front door on the way to school yesterday morning and felt a slight chill in the air.

I am slightly exaggerating. ;)  We felt a slightly cooler breeze. It was only 77 degrees.

So I’m not quite pulling out my fall boots and turtlenecks, but I am dreaming of very fall cooking and baking. I thought I’d share some yumminess I found from around the world here with you this weekend. I know YOU MUST have some fall recipes you want us to see. GO AHEAD-link them up. Any recipe that is fall-ish. We want to see them and be inspired by YOU.

I love my pumpkin lasagne so much and I can’t wait to bake it again this month. I found another gorgeous squash lasagne.

Caramelized Onion goes magically with squash in this gorgeous lasagna from The Kitchy Kithcen.
dsc5510i

I really never knew squash could look so velvety. Love this Roasted Squash Soup from The Kitchy Kitchen.

squashsoup1
Healthy Seasonal Recipes made this flavorful Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup

sweet_potato_peanut_close-u
Honey Beer Bread from Lululu at Home looks divine!

Honey-Beer-Bread1-682x1024

Apple Harvest Bread from Sweet Happy Life is something I have to try with all this fall.

applebread1
Let’s finish this off with The Best Apple Pie You’ll Ever Have from Honey and Jam that guest posted on A Cup of Jo

best-apple-pie-recipe

Some more very fall inspiration:

Creative Culinary has a delicious Butternut Squash Roasted Pepper and Potato Soup
She also made a favorite of mine: Split Pea Soup
One more soup from Bake Your Day: Chicken Tortilla Soup
Spabettie has these lovely Plum Pie Bites
Needing a little chocolate? Parsley Sage and Sweets has you covered with these Chocolate Marble Pumpkin Bark with Nutella and Salted Pepitas
Love these Spiced Vanilla and Pear Muffins from London Bakes
A stunning Kentish Cobnut Cake with Apple Compote (she explains kentish cobnut’s are like hazelnuts in England) from Miss Foodwise

I know YOU MUST have some autumn recipes to share-link them up for us to see!!

Here is the recipe for my Pumpkin Lasagne. Click on the link if you’d like to see some step-by-step photos.buon appetito!

Lasagne alle Zucca-Pumpkin Lasagne

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) pumpkin peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (or canned pumpkin)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
teaspoon nutmeg
12 basil leaves
12 no-boil lasagna noodles (I use Barilla)
2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese (I used slices of mozzarella)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with a generous amount of foil. Add the diced pumpkin. Drizzle on the olive oil and mix it around with your hands to incorporate the oil. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pumpkin with the foil and fold the sheets under. Bake the pumpkin in this foil pouch for about 45 minutes until the pumpkin is tender. Cool slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor. Blend until smooth. If the mixture is too dry, add about a 1/4 cup of water to the pumpkin puree. Test the flavor and season with more salt and pepper to taste.

la besciamella:
*As I was assembling the lasagne, I ended up making another portion of the besciamella. I like my lasagne to have more of a creamy consistency and thought it better to have more. If you like it very creamy, make another batch and if you don’t end up using it with the lasagne, you could use it another pasta dish.:)
Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.

Spread 3/4 cup of the besciamella over the baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the pumpkin puree over the noodles. Spread the besciamella on top of the pumpkin puree. Place a few basil slices over the besciamella. Layer on your mozzarella slices (or if using shredded, sprinkle it on). Repeat layering 3 more times. On the last layer, sprinkle on the Parmigiano Reggiano on top of the mozzarella cheese.

Add a few dabs of butter to the top of the lasagna. Cover the baking pan with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Carefully remove the foil paper and bake about another 10-15 minutes or until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden. In order to have neater slices, let the lasagna rest for about 15 minutes before serving.

Link up your fall recipe for us to see here below!! I put together some fun fall pins here on Fall for Fall-check it out!

Happy weekend. xo Lora

Monet October 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Some great fall recipes! I just made a pumpkin bundt cake that I fell in love with. So moist and spicy! This lasagne looks perfect, Lora. Thank you for sharing!

Kate@Diethood October 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Wow! Pumpkin Lasagne… I have to try it!

Jessie October 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I want to make every single one of these!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 13, 2012 at 5:30 am

There isn’t one dish above that I wouldn’t adore eating. Your lasagne is perfection on a plate.

Lisa October 13, 2012 at 11:11 am

Lora…I love lasagna and in fact..I think everyone loves lasagna, but I have a soft spot and a ravenous tummy for white lasagnas, especially with some kind of squash. Yours look so good, I can’t even put it into words without writing novel! Fantastic Fall round-up, and I’m humbled that you mentioned my messy little bark bars!! lol xoxo

Irmina Díaz-Frois Martín October 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

I like…
Kiss

Winnie October 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm

This is something I have to try
It looks fantastic!
I’m pinning this

Savory Simple October 13, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I love lasagna, this looks fantastic. So perfect for fall.

Lyndsey Chapin October 14, 2012 at 2:29 am

I love all these fall recipes even though we still really have summer weather through the end of October, so it was a treat that it was 69 degrees when we woke up…okay we were 72 because we are so close to the Gulf and it warms right back up in the day, but I felt like wearing a jacket! So many good pumpkin recipes! Your lasagne is something I want to try!

Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings October 14, 2012 at 5:35 am

Amazing line up, Lora! And that lasagne…equally amazing! Wish I had a plate of this now!

Anonymous October 14, 2012 at 6:21 am

I have always been amused to be here….simply an awesome post..

Jamie October 14, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I love love love pumpkin recipes that are not always pumpkin pie or bread. And savory is the best! Your flavors remind me of my favorite pumpkin soup but I am loving this pie version (lasagna!). Gotta try this! Beautiful! And thanks for all the links to great autumn recipes. And how I mis Florida when it gets cool….

Bunkycooks October 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I am with Jamie. I love pumpkin in savory dishes just as much as sweet ones. I overdid it on pumpkin two years ago, but I might be ready to crack open a pumpkin and make this recipe! :-) BTW, do you ever get weather cold enough for boots and sweaters??

franca October 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm

this is very very good.
good night

Matthew 'mmWine' Horbund October 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I love the roundup! I have been waiting for something fun to do with pumpkin as a main, rather than a dessert! Thanks! This will get made, soon!

Kristina @ spabettie October 15, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I cannot wait to try this lasagna – I have been craving a lasagna and this one looks perfect. I always make mine with a Béchamel too… now I will be calling it besciamella :)

Shulie Foodwanderings October 16, 2012 at 1:45 am

OMG this round up is incredible. First your dish that just was wham and then I saw the second picture…and was tortured further! : I wish I lived nearby!

Baker Street October 16, 2012 at 6:01 am

Another gorgeous round up, Lora! I love pumpkin and baking with it is such a treat!

EA-The Spicy RD October 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Love your lasagna and all the other fall inspired dishes! We have been having quite a heat wave here this summer with temps supposedly reaching 90 degrees here tomorrow…77 degrees sounds kind of nice :-)

Feast on the Cheap October 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm

oh my goodness, i don’t know where to look first!

Chris January 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

Hi Lora. Thanks for sharing your pumpkin lasagna recipe, it looks amazing! I just wanted to double check with you on the besciamella. I assume you make it by melting the butter, adding the flour, and then the milk till thickened? Is the nutmeg added to the sauce directly? I didn’t want to assume, then mess up a beautiful recipe!

Thanks again.

cakeduchess January 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi Chris-Yes, just as it is in directions is how it should be made. Definitely add the nutmeg directly to the sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk together until incorporated. The flour will be very dry. Raise the heat to medium-high and in 1/2 cup portions, gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. The besciamella will continue to thicken even when you remove from the heat. If it seems to dense, whisk in a little bit more of mil. Whisk in the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Hope you like it! Happy cooking:)