Poppy Seed Bagels-Tuesdays With Dorie

by cakeduchess on October 16, 2012 · 20 comments

poppy-seed-bagels-tuesdays-with-dorie-2
Today is World Bread Day and I’m excited to share some incredible bagels with you. I know there is nothing that compares to a fresh bagel in New York City.

These amazing bagels came pretty close in flavor and in texture. Heather at Heather’s Bytes is the hostess for this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie. You can pop over to her blog to get the full recipe. poppy-seed-bagels-tuesdays-with-dorie-3

The recipe appears daunting, as it is another Baking with Julia recipe with an overnight rise. The actual recipe takes up three full pages in the book. It’s not a recipe to skim over. You have to read it very carefully and take your time. This ensures a richer flavor. There’s also the shaping and for what may seem scary for some bakers, the boiling. I had no problem with the boiling part. But no matter how big of a hole in the center I pulled apart, some just kept popping back together. So you see, some had adorable dimples and some did not. But it really didn’t matter because they were incredible. I just love poppy seeds. The last bread I made with them was my poppy seed challah and everyone loved it.  I did decide to leave a handful plain for the kids.

Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on their blogs unless they are the hostess for the week. We would love you to buy the book, Baking with Julia,  and bake along with us! You can find the book here on Amazon. There is FREE worldwide shipping when you buy from The Book Depository.  Join us baking at Tuesdays with Dorie!

For you passionate bread bakers out there: if you bake a bread (quick or yeast)  with seeds, nuts and grains, come on over and link it up to us at Twelve Loaves.

bakingwithjulia

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen October 16, 2012 at 10:49 am

Nice bagels Lora! My holes dissapeared too. But I prefer a not so cakey bagel. Wonderful pics!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness October 16, 2012 at 11:05 am

Lora, your bagels look wonderful, both the plain ones and the ones with poppy seeds. I really like the “chubby” look and the warm color of your bagels. Delighful!

Lizzy Do October 16, 2012 at 11:16 am

Yours have bigger holes than mine…LOL! Well done, my friend. Hey, I guess mine have seeds…I can FINALLY link up to your 12 loaves…hooray!

Satya October 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

wow wonderful bagels…Super Yummy Recipes

Holly @ abakershouse.com October 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

These look great! I had trouble keeping the hole in my bagels last week too but decided they all tasted good anyways. I saw your challah on the Wild Yeast Blog too. So pretty!

smarkies October 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Some of my bagels maintained their hole, others didn’t. Not really sure what was the determining factor in that one.

Well done on the lovely (and I am sure delicious) bagels!

Monet October 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

There is nothing like homemade bagels! In fact, now, I want to forgo studying and bake my own batch. Thank you for sharing, Lora!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) October 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Poppy seed bagels are my favorite! These look so delicious, Lora!

Matthew 'mmWine' Horbund October 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm

These look great. Intense recipe though – wow :)

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 16, 2012 at 11:17 pm

What a great job with these bagels. I haven’t had a good bagel since leaving the states. I should spend time with Julie and learn how to make my own.

Cher Rockwell October 17, 2012 at 1:33 am

Very nice – I kind of like them with the holes closed (better for loading sandwich toppings on).
P.S. I have been enjoying your 12 Loaves project as well – some great looking stuff coming out of those ovens :-)

Just a Smidgen October 17, 2012 at 1:59 am

I a new follower.. Love your bagels!! Anyone who gets through a 3 page recipe is quite the baker!!

decocinasytacones October 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

BAGELS!. I can´t find them in the north of Spain. Soon I´ll be going to London, so I´ll have mine with philadelphia cream cheese and some smoked salmon….I love it that way.
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

Jamie October 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Oooh love bagels and yours are so perfect! As soon as I move I want to make them again now! Happy World Bread Day, Lora!

Happy Cook / Finla October 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Bagel is something I have not made till now and these look so good.

Lisa October 17, 2012 at 11:32 pm

This is exactly how a bagel should be – really fat and realty poofy! They look just like the bagels I love from several favorite places around NY and NJ. You really are a master baker! ;) I could eat two of these in one sitting – testing positive for opium, not a concern lol

Cathleen October 18, 2012 at 3:11 am

Your bagels look lovely!

Kim Bee October 18, 2012 at 3:13 am

Is nom nom nom acceptable for a comment? How about holy shnikeys, send me some asap. These are gorgeous. I’ve never made bagels. I need to get off my duff and do that.

Tandy October 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

I loved making bagels! Yours look very good :)

Sweet and That's it October 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Ciao Cake Douchess, your bagels are lovely.
It has been a long work, but it was definitely worth it…
Bagels finally reached Switzerland :-)