Twix Muffins (with homemade Twix bars)-#MuffinMonday

by cakeduchess on September 10, 2012 · 28 comments

twix-muffins-muffin-monday-3
Happy Monday! I baked you some chocolate muffins. It’s not usual that you will find a recipe here that involves candy or candy bars. I think it’s safe to say it’s extremely rare.

I tend to sway away from decadent desserts and bake things more simple. When I found out this Muffin Monday was about Twix bars, I was interested to put my spin on the recipe and wanted to participate. You see, Twix bars have always been a favorite candy of mine. A cookie covered with caramel and chocolate-a little difficult to resist some days.

But I had to make my own candy bars. It had to be easy to throw them together, right? It took a little time to make the bars, but for me, it was worth the extra effort. I will share the recipe this week with you for my homemade Twix bars.

I knew that this would be a recipe that would be fun to make with the kids and couldn’t resist trying it. I waited for an afternoon where we had some time to bake these together. It was a fun (and slightly messy)baking afternoon.
twix-muffins-muffin-monday-2
A chocolate muffin makes Monday’s a little happier. Don’t you agree?

twix-muffins-muffin-monday-1
I subbed the butter for canola oil in the recipe and I decided to add a spoonful of the caramel I made to the center of every muffin. Chocolate and caramel together in a muffin with homemade Twix pieces folded in…dangerous territory.  Not a treat I usually bake for my kids and boy, it was a special little treat. I melted a little chocolate and sprinkled some of the leftover chopped up homemade Twix on top on a couple of the muffins. You may like your muffin without the extra chocolate drizzle like I did. Either way, an irresistible muffin recipe.
Muffin Monday is an initiative put together by my friend An Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Twix Muffins-#MuffinMonday

Source: adapted from chefkoch

Serves: 12

1/2 cup Twix bars (I used my own homemade Twix bars)
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup almond milk (or your favorite milk)

Directions:
Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray the muffin tins with nonstick baking spray or line with paper muffin cups.

Cut the Twix into small pieces; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa; set aside. In another bowl, beat together the sugar and oil for about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg and the milk. Slowly add the flour mixture mixing together until combined. Stop the mixture to scrape the sides of the bowl and incorporate the flour. Gently fold in the Twix pieces.

Fill the prepared tins three-quarters full. (At this point, I added a spoonful of caramel leftover from my homemade Twix bars to every muffin. You can forget that part if you don’t have any caramel around).

twix-muffins-muffin-monday-4
Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one muffin comes out with a crumb or two attached.

Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Happy Monday!
xo
Lora

Minu September 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Treat indeed! Waiting for twix bar recipe!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen September 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

These sound very good Lora! I like that you used almond milk, never thought it could replace regular just like that. Good to know. Have a great week!

Brian @ A Thought For Food September 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

This is my kind of breakfast! HA! Twix… haven’t had one in years.

Stacy September 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Homemade Twix!? Get out of town! I can’t wait to read that post! I also love the extra spoon of caramel in the middle. Bet these were as delicious as they look.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I love that you used homemade twix! That’s next on my bucket list!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Oh my! I love all things muffins, but this is over the top! Not sure I could justify this for breakfast, but if there was a way I would find it :)

Jamie September 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Mmmmm! I loooove chocolate and caramel and love these muffins! Breakfast? I think more dessert! I love your homemade twix, too!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Twix muffins? Yes please! And I can’t belive you made your own Twix bars!!

Barbara | Creative Culinary September 10, 2012 at 9:26 pm

You know how I feel about the plethora of candy going into cookies and muffins but this…well, my dear – YOU MADE YOUR OWN TWIX BARS??!!

How could they not be fabulous. And I may relent. Discovered some bit 0′ honey at Sunflower Market and I might have to put them in a cookie…if I don’t finish off the tray of them first! :)

foodwanderings September 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Aww Lora we all have that favorite store bought candy bar but I bet a homemade feels so much more satisfying. I never considered making candu at home though made caramel for ice cream in the past. Love your hidden surprise inside the muffin.

foodwanderings September 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm

*candy*

Jen @ Savory Simple September 10, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Lora, I am all over these! They sound amazing!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 11, 2012 at 1:11 am

Your twix muffins are the perfect start of the week! I heart twix candy!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 11, 2012 at 2:46 am

The reason my stuff doesn’t come out as beautifully as yours is because I don’t have helpers like you do! :)

These look amazing!

Lisa September 11, 2012 at 2:47 am

This is sinful breakfast! Well..sinful ‘anytime of the day’ muffin! Sinful = GOOOD! I LOVE that you made your own Twix bars…I’ve seen the recipe all over the net and I’m dying to have a go at them! xo

Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings September 11, 2012 at 2:50 am

Twix is my favourite chocolate bar! It’s very unusual that I bake with premade candies ot chocolate bars, but this recipe looks awesome! I am willing to try this one, for sure.

Swathi Iyer September 11, 2012 at 4:22 am

Beautiful muffins, love it.

Baker Street September 11, 2012 at 9:57 am

You made your own twix! WOW! I’m seriously impressed. I love twix too and this recipe was really exceptional. So glad you and kids had a fun baking session.

Deborah September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Wow – I’m impressed that you made your own twix! These sound amazing!

Grubarazzi September 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm

O…M..G..!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry September 12, 2012 at 12:29 am

My goodness, those are amazing! Love that you went the extra mile to make your own Twix even! Awesome!

Kate | Food Babbles September 12, 2012 at 12:50 am

I cannot wait to see the recipe for homemade Twix bars! I’m so impressed that you made your own. I’m sure that made these muffins even better. I also adore the caramel center to your muffins. Lovely job!

Kim - Liv Life September 12, 2012 at 2:58 am

I think I’m speachless!!! This is just pure brilliance….!!!

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } September 12, 2012 at 3:19 am

What a unique and fun muffin! I bet it was hard to eat just one. Pinning now!!!!

Amelia September 12, 2012 at 6:58 am

Hi Cake Duchess, excellent muffins and yummy. The combination look great. The 3rd picture look like to die for ….. LOL

Have a nice day, regards.

www.you-made-that.com September 13, 2012 at 4:09 am

I love twix too, so I’m sure I could down a few of these muffins in no time.

Paula September 13, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I can’t wait to see your home-made Twix recipe. Judging by the look of these muffins it is going to be a great one.

Christina @ Sweet Peas Kitchen September 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Holy cow…these muffins look incredible!!! I love that you used homemade Twix! :)