Silent Sunday Italy: A Little Bit of Tuscany

by cakeduchess on September 2, 2012 · 16 comments

siena-5

This is the path where we walked in the morning in a little town right outside of Siena. The graveled road is adjacent to the tallest cypress trees I’ve ever seen. Their points seem to almost pierce the bright sky on this hot afternoon in Tuscany.

siena-3

siena-4
siena-6

siena-2

siena-1
Olive trees and fig trees. Artichoke flowers and grape vines-I’m in awe over what is growing around us thinking we could move here, couldn’t we?

The kids just finished picking the last of the susine from the tree. Sweet as honey Italian plums. I think how amazing they would be in a little cake. Our last day in Tuscany is today.
My posts from Italy were brief. I fervently write what I can trying to capture some moments for myself and for my friends that read me. Lavender surrounds me. I breathe in its beautiful scent over and over again hoping to imprint this moment in my mind for an eternity. The kids are running around a field with their lovely new friends; children from Scandinavia. They can barely understand each other but have been playing for hours. A magical day in a place I dream of moving to one day. Sadness envelopes us the last day as we say good-bye to our new friends.

The sunflowers seem to be waving at us as we zoom by them.

Arrivederci. Until we meet again.

If you’d like to see some of my other posts from Italy this summer, here they are:

Silent Sunday Italy: Bellaggio
Silent Sunday Italy: Rimini
Silent Sunday Italy: Ristorante La Madonnina

Get ready #TwelveLoaves bread baking friends!

Tomorrow we reveal the September challenge. We look forward to baking along with you again. Check out the delicious August Summer Fruit links here. :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Beautiful, Lora! I never tire of looking at photos of Italia :).

Barbara | Creative Culinary September 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’ll go with you. I’m planting more lavender this fall…I think I could have nothing but and be a happy gardener. Just love your photo essays on Italy.

Bunkycooks September 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Tuscany is one of the prettiest places in Italy. We stayed in a beautiful inn called Locanda dell’Amorosa outside of Siena. Unfortunately, Mr. B was going through chemo when we were there and came down with a bug. :-( I vote for a return trip!

decocinasytacones September 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Lucky you!, I love Florence surroundings (Tuscany), specially Sienna and San Geminiano…such a beautiful place to take awesome pictures like the ones you´re showing us today.
Enjoy.
Marialuisa

Lyndsey Chapin September 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful photos, and I love seeing all that grows around us! Even in our own yard!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Beautiful photos Lora. I’ve never been to Italy and it has been always on our bucket list

Julia September 2, 2012 at 11:51 pm

How I miss Tuscany (and its food). Great pictures!

Lizzy Do September 3, 2012 at 1:00 am

Oh, how I love Tuscany! Bill has promised we’ll get back to Italy one day… xo

Amelia September 3, 2012 at 2:14 am

Hi, thanks for sharing all the beautiful pictures. Love the pretty sunflowers. Excellent click!

I’m following you. Have a nice day, regards.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 3, 2012 at 2:17 am

I love your photos of Italy off the tourist track. Real Italy. Nothing better than eating in Tuscany, is there?

Marina@Picnic at Marina September 3, 2012 at 2:43 am

Lora, thank you for the wonderful post. I think I can move to Italy too, and even tell you a little secret: I started to learn Italian….:)I want to wake up in the mornings and “bathe” myself in lavender scent… kissed by razing sun… then rested in the shade of olive trees… Oh, Italy! :)

Baker Street September 3, 2012 at 11:57 am

Your pictures always transport me to another place! loved all your travel posts and I’m so looking forward to twelveloaves challenge! :)

Kim - Liv Life September 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm

So, so beautiful. I’m with you… what says we can’t move??? Tuscany is a place I’ve not been, but it’s high on my list. We have loved every part of Italy we have visited and I’m certain this will be right up there. Your words so enhance the photos… beautiful!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Gorgeous photos! Italy is high up on the places I want to visit.

Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings September 4, 2012 at 12:33 am

Beautiful! Hope you had a good holiday!

Paula September 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm