Chocolate Zucchini Swirl Bundt Cake-#BundtaMonth

by cakeduchess on September 12, 2012 · 48 comments

chocolate-zucchini-swirl-bundt-cake-2
If I were to say what my favorite kind of cake to bake is, it would be easy to say a Bundt.The simple and humble Bundt that is for me, always reliable and very versatile.

While the mini dessert trend is still hot-bakers are mad about macarons and still happily baking dozens and dozens of pretty little cupcakes, I’m totally content with my not so dainty Bundt. I can fill them and swirl them. They can be frosted or drizzled upon. Sprinkles even look so cute on a Bundt. Do you know Bundts are even darling mini size? I once even had a business idea based on Bundt’s way before my food blog was launched. That’s a long story. My neighbors can vouch for those happy Bundt baking days when they were sampling my Bundts every week. My husband would declare, “Not another Bundt!”. Yes honey,  another Bundt.

Seeing that it has probably been the cake I’ve featured here the most on my blog, it was time to dedicate a monthly event dedicated to Beautiful Bundts. My lovely friend Anuradha from Baker Street shares this same love for Bundts. Anuradha and I are, simply put, crazy for Bundt cakes. This is a love affair that is going to go the distance. We decided to collaborate and host an event where we’ll bake a Bundt cake with a different theme every month: Bundt a Month!
chocolate-zucchini-swirl-bundt-cake-4
What is #BundtaMonth all about?

Here’s the challenge:

Anuradha and I will pick an ingredient and announce it the first week of every month. All you Bundt loving bakers need to do is use your imagination on how you’d like to incorporate it and bake a Bundt – mini Bundt or large Bundt – and link it up to our blogs throughout the month. It’s that simple!

We decided to be creative with zucchini in our September Bundts.

When I was back in Italy this summer, my in-laws were picking zucchini and their flowers every single day.
chocolat-zucchini-swirl-bundt-cake-5
Look at what our very talented and Bundt loving baking friends created for this month:

Anuradha from Baker Street baked Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake

Here’s how to bake with #BundtaMonth:
- Bake your September #BundtaMonth Zucchini Bundt.
- Post it before September 30, 2012.
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title should read – #BundtaMonth: Chocolate Zucchini Bundt)
- Join the Bundt baking party! Share your link it to our blog hop by clicking here or here.
- Link back to both Anuradha and my announcement posts.

chocolate-zucchini-swirl-bundt-cake-1
About this cake? Amazing! A super fun way to get my kids to eat a veggie without knowing. I thought I was so stealth. Maybe not. My daughter asked me, “What’s this green thing in the cake.” I told her it’s zucchini. She asked, “Zucchini? Why?” I responded that it makes the cake taste better. And that was it. This cake was enjoyed by all. Moist and wonderful. You can omit the rum if you’d like. You could add a little more if you’re not baking for kids. Just make this squirrel, I mean swirl cake. My son asked me what kind of a cake is it. I told him, “It’s a swirl cake.” He asked, “A squirrel cake? It has squirrel in it?” So no, no squirrels were sacrificed for this delicious cake. Just lots of pretty swirls.

The ingredients to put into 3 separate bowls:

Chocolate Zucchini Swirl Bundt Cake

1st bowl: lighter part of swirl ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2nd bowl: dark part of swirl ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

The wet ingredients (I mixed together in a stand mixer)

3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup oil (I used 1/2 extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 canola oil)
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon rum
2 Tablespoons orange (or lemon) juice
1-½ teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
2 cups zucchini, shredded

Directions:
Grease and flour your Bundt pan. (I personally prefer to use baking spray for Bundt pans.) Preheat oven to 350 F.
Shred the zucchini and wring it together in a clean dish towel to get rid of the zucchini liquid. Set aside the zucchini.
Whisk together the first bowl’s ingredients; set aside. Whisk the together the second bowl’s ingredients; set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer, beat the oil with the eggs the eggs one by one, waiting until each has been incorporated to add the next.  Beat in the sugar. Beat in vanilla extract, rum, juice and melted chocolate. Gently mix in the shredded zucchini.

Divide the liquid batter into the two dry bowls. Fold gently the ingredients in each bowl until incorporated. (You’re going to have a dark batter and a caramel colored batter to swirl together.)
Let’s make some pretty swirls!
Spoon the batter into your prepared Bundt pan in alternating colors. I ended up with 3 scoops of each batter color.

When batter is all in the pan, swirl the batter around gently with a butter knife. Don’t overswirl or you will take away the marbled pattern.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely. I had some leftover melted chocolate and drizzled it over a slice.

source: adapted from Every Day is Gourmet

Buon appetito! Happy Bundt Baking and we can’t wait to see your Beautiful Bundts!:)

Brian @ A Thought For Food September 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love zucchini breads, so I’m sure I’d just adore this bundt cake!

Kate | Food Babbles September 12, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I adore the chocolate swirls going on here! Chocolate and zucchini go so well together. Thanks again for having me join you in the launch of such a delicious idea!

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm

thanks for baking along, Kate:)

Baker Street September 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love this swirly bundt. Oops. Bundt. Adding espresso to one part was a great idea.

YAY for #BundtaMonth! :)

Renee Dobbs September 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Oh my Lora I wanted to stick my fork in the screen to get a bite of that slice. Looks so good!
Thanks for kicking off #BundtaMonth so us bundt loving bakers can share our favorites. I’m so happy I was invited to participate today.

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I will trade a slice for yours:)I’m happy you were too:)

Angie's Recipes September 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm

A gorgeous budnt! I would love one for my tea now.

Jenny @ BAKE September 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love the two different sponges swirled together! beautiful!

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

It’s fun! I want to experiment with other swirl Bundt flavors:)Thank you Jennny:)

knitstamatic September 12, 2012 at 3:22 pm

First off, thank you for inviting me to join in BundtaMonth. A cake close to my heart. As for your cake, I just love the swirly idea. I must make this one it just looks so yummy! Happy baking!

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:13 pm

It is close to my heart and stomach too, Deb;)Thank you for baking with us:)

Munatycooking September 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm

The cake looks delicious, I love super moist chocolate cakes, and adding zucchini always makes cakes moist. But the picture with the chocolate sauce on top killed me. Wish I can bite it :)

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm

That chocolate slice was a dangerous idea;)Thank you so much, Muna:)

CJ - Food Stories September 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

What a great concept! Love your swirled version, too :-)

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks, C.J. Maybe you’ll join us w/ a zucchini Bundt;)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’m in love with bundts – I may just have to join this party! :)

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Yay-Laura. I bet you bake pretty Bundts:)

RavieNomNoms September 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I love chocolate zucchini bread/cake. I think it is so delicious! Has a nice moisture to it!

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I love zucchini any thing, Raven. Thank you:)

Monet September 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Beautiful cake, sweet friend! I love bundt cakes too. A slice of this would go perfectly with my coffee!

Kate@Diethood September 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Soooo pretty! I love the swirl! So glad I joined in…can’t wait for next month’s challenge. :)

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’m glad you joined in and love your baking, Kate:)Thank you.

Carolyn September 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hello, gorgeous bundt!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m always amazed by the beautiful bundt cakes I see.
Somehow I haven’t yet mastered the art of removing the cake out of the pan in one piece :(
Great baking challenge Lora

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I like using the baking spray; it seems to really help, Roxy. I bet you make gorgeous Bundts:)

Nidhi September 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm

That looks yummilicious..

You mentioned adding eggs to the wet ingredients, I do not see any mentioned in the ingredient list though. Could you please tell the number of eggs to add.

I do not eat eggs and would like to know the exact replacement for eggs that go into this cake.

Cake Duchess September 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I fixed that-3 eggs. Thank you:)Yes-very yummilicious!

Nidhi September 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I have been following your recipes for a while now.. and I must say, they are awesome..
I don’t eat eggs and I usually try different egg replacements, but they don’t give the best of the results always.

Could you please share more recipes for egg less bakes..

Jennie @themessybakerblog September 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm

This cake looks so yummy, and I can’t wait to participate in this cake making party next month. I’m going to buy a new pan to celebrate. Yay!

Lisa September 13, 2012 at 1:29 am

THis is arguably one of the best chocolate bundts..much less zucchini bundts (or cakes) I’ve ever seen! The dark batter is so fudgy and the light batter so fluffy! Once again – another masterpiece by Lora!

Jen @ Savory Simple September 13, 2012 at 1:57 am

This is a gorgeous bundt cake! What a fun challenge.

Marina@Picnic at Marina September 13, 2012 at 4:13 am

I would eat this cake zucchini or not: it looks beautiful and very delicious! And it would be the first time I had zucchini in a dessert. :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook September 13, 2012 at 5:25 am

I think this is the best looking zucchini bread I’ve seen! Maybe because chocolate is in it and I’m biased. =P The glaze is calling me to get a piece or even more. Absolutely delicious and my kids would ask to make more zucchini bread, which sounds very healthy! hahah!

Lisa September 13, 2012 at 6:30 am

I have silicone mini- bundt molds, and I love them! They make everything look special.
I’ve been making a chocolate zucchini loaf cake with coconut and choc. chips for years; very tasty! the coconut, which I do love coconut. In fact, I think I will have to make it for Rosh Hashanah,along with the prune plum torte (Marion Burros) that I always make.

Jeanette September 13, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love the idea of using zucchini in chocolate cake, and your swirls are beautiful!

Claudia September 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm

What a nice change from my standard zucchini-chocolate cake! I also love bundts – because I’m lazy and they are always pretty with minimal effort.

Michelle @AmourBeurre September 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I am all about the zucchini lately! This looks awesome!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm

this looks great and if I make it I’ll call it the squirrel cake

Paula September 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I love chocolate and zucchini cake (just tasted my first one two weeks ago) and your bundt is beautiful. This is going to be a delicious collaboration between you and An!

foodwanderings September 13, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Love this challenge. I love bundt cakes especially along with my tea. Believe it or not I love zucchini breads but somehow the get lost in traslation when I bake them. Love a slice of a neighbor’s or a friend’s, I wish you lived closer!

Jamie September 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Wow!!! You know, Bundt’s always remind me of my dad who had an original Bundt cake pan (which I now own and use) and he always made Bundt cakes, especially Tunnel of Fudge. Yours reminds me of that! Stunning! I want to make one of these!

Bunkycooks September 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Anything chocolate gets my vote. Zucchini and all. Love this cake and I hope you have fun with the Bundt Baking round-up!

Julia September 16, 2012 at 6:18 am

I would love to participate! Love bundt cakes.

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I just posted a bundt on my site but didn’t know about your challenge so didn’t link it up or anything but your bundt looks amazing! I want it…now! The flavors of choc + zuke are just awesome!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

That’s one delicious looking bundt cake! Full of chocolaty goodness!

Priscilla April 24, 2013 at 11:55 am

I had seen this recipe thought it looked good. Went to make it realized there was no temp at which to bake it, and you said it needed a cup of sugar but no where did it say when to add the sugar. Luckily I have baked before and know when to add sugar and the normal temp for Bundt cakes. Got complaints about it being dry and bitter. Next I will add three cups of zucchini, use semi-sweet and dark chocolate, and reduce baking time. Thanks for sharing your recipe :)