Campari Maître d’-Friday Cocktails

by cakeduchess on September 14, 2012 · 27 comments

drinks_RJNL2930

You maybe think you’ve clicked on the wrong blog. What in the world are cocktails doing over here? Hey. It’s Friday! I think it’s time for a drink.

Well, it’s too early in the morning for a drink and I’m honestly not much of a cocktail drinker. But it’s a celebration for my friend Barb. And Barb is the queen of cocktails. Barb has had all of us dreaming of her delicious cocktails every Friday for the past year with her Friday Cocktail posts. She has featured drinks I’ve never even heard of and some that are classics.
Barb has asked some blogging friends to help her celebrate her Friday Cocktail with this special event. The only problem is photographing a cake is one thing. It’s ok for me to be baking a cake in the morning…but making a cocktail? I had to get some help on this project. I knew I had to feature a drink that is found at my husband’s restaurant. His partner came up with this tempting Campari Maitre’d. If I’m going to have a cocktail, it will most likely have Campari in it. This is a drink that reminds me of summer and more specifically, summer in Italy.

drinks_RJNL2917

A Campari Maître d’ (‘it’s the red drink in the middle)is basically a fruitier version of a Negroni. The traditional Negroni does not have the fruit juices or sprite in it. You could say this is a Florida version of a very Italian drink.
I asked one of their manager’s Paolo to tell me a little something about this drink and what makes it special at the restaurant. He started to tell me about a famous hotel in Venice and sort of drifted off talking about a completely different cocktail. I redirected him and got him to focus on this Campari Maitre’d and he revealed that he almost always gets a major proposal when he mixes this drink for the ladies. So there you go. That’s the story. And I’m sticking to it.
So for Barb-the master mixer that I hope to meet one day and have a drink with-I raise my glass and say cheers!

To many more #FridayCocktails! Be sure to check out Barb’s Friday Cocktail Anniversary post. – @FridayCocktail on Twitter.
Campari Maître d’

1 ounce gin
1 ounce Campari
1 ounce sweet vermouth
1/2 ounce cranberry juice
1/2 ounce orange juice
splash of sprite

Directions:
In a mixing glass, combine gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth. Either drink on the rocks, or strain into a chilled cocktail glass. A splash of Prosecco may even be really nice.

photos courtesy of: Robert Nelson Photography

Swathi Iyer September 14, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Beautiful clicks, Lora, love to taste that.

Jamie September 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

What a beautiful photo, Lora! And I think we need to go out for drinks…. makes me think of NOLA!

Meeta K. Wolff September 14, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I am a total cocktails fan — I think you just need the right company to become the cocktail drinker. Maybe one day we – Jamie, you and I can get together and make this happen!

Barbara | Creative Culinary September 15, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Ahem…I had better be a part of that party!!

Angie's Recipes September 14, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Awesome clicks, Lora.

Nancy September 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Gorgeous Lora!! I love the story too… one of these days we are going to have to have “Compari Cocktails” together!!

Bunkycooks September 14, 2012 at 5:55 pm

When are we girls going to share one of these beautiful cocktails together in person?! Let’s make it happen. Cheers!

Karen Harris September 14, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Love your choice of drinks for Barb’s big party. I’m going to have to try this one soon. Cheers!

Kate | Food Babbles September 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Such a lovely cocktail! Gorgeous!

foodwanderings September 14, 2012 at 10:54 pm

ahahaha loved ‘Florida version of a very Italian drink’ & the manager landing some proposals. I am as well not much of a drinker, but a great celebration!

Lizzy Do September 14, 2012 at 11:22 pm

It’s fun to see you veer from baking for a change :) Anything with Campari reminds me of Venice…and I’d love to be sipping one of these stunning cocktails tonight. Hope you have a fantastic weekend, Lora!

Lana September 14, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Lora, the photos are stunning! And Campari was the first alcoholic beverage I had as a teenager, with a slice of orange, chilled:) I still get all warm and fuzzy when I think of it:) Thanks for awakening the memories!
I love Barb, too!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen September 15, 2012 at 1:26 am

Your cocktails look so festive! I think it´s perfect that you went from cake to cocktails, it´s alphabetically correct…! I like some campari with orange and this looks sophisticated. Nice pics. Have a good weekend!

The KitchenMaid September 15, 2012 at 3:10 am

All those spirits AND a splash of Prosecco? Now that’s what I call a cocktail! Hope you have a lovely weekend x

Lisa September 15, 2012 at 4:43 am

Lora..this drink and those photos should be on the cover of a magazine! I’m blown away by how gorgeous they are! So simple to make too. I think I’d be able to handle one :) This Friday cocktail is making me want to drink lol

Jen @ Savory Simple September 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Great photos! I love these.

Barbara | Creative Culinary September 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm

This is perfect…the cocktails are gorgeous and we get to see inside the place where the hubs spends his time away from the family; you should take us to the restaurant more often!

Thanks so much for joining the party; it simply would not have been the same without you!

Elisabeth September 15, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Lora, such fabulous cocktails that I didn’t even know they have at the restaurant…all I ever order there, is Chardonnay; never tried anything else! Gorgeous photos, BTW!
Will check out Barbara’s site:D

Priscilla | ShesCookin September 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Haha, love your story and your colorful pretty pics :) I’ve had a Negroni only once and didn’t like it (it was not mixed by an Italian expert). The fruitier version sounds much better. Cheers!

Priscilla | ShesCookin September 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Priscilla | ShesCookin September 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Priscilla | ShesCookin September 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Baker Street September 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

I love the pictures. Love the lighting and it is so well captured. Great choice to celebrate barb’s friday cocktail anniversary.

Kate@Diethood September 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Man, that looks so good! I could use a few of those! Oh yeah, I’m still nursing… maybe the baby will just sleep longer ;-)

Paula September 16, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I’m not a big drinker of cocktails either but this Campari Maître d’ does look like something I’d enjoy…at least once ;)

Your photographs are lovely by the way.

inigo boy September 17, 2012 at 1:43 am

Great photographs! Very colorful :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm