Tuesdays with Dorie: Mini Berry Galettes

by cakeduchess on August 7, 2012 · 39 comments

tuesdays-with-dorie-berry-galette-1
I have been meaning to join Tuesdays with Dorie for a while now. The book the group is working on now is Baking with Julia, by Dorie Greenspan.

It happens to be one of my favorite books and I have sticky notes on every other page in the book. They are all recipes I have been meaning to try and just haven’t gotten around to baking quite yet.
I wasn’t sure if I would find the time to get this recipe together yesterday.  To my surprise, the recipe for this Tuesday luckily was on of my favorites! It’s a wonderful galette dough made with cornmeal. You could also add sour cream to the dough if you are out of yogurt. The dough is amazing. It is soft and has a little crispiness to it form the cornmeal.It was poring rain (again)and my camera battery was about to die. I found a little break in the afternoon to make the dough and I should’ve let it chill a little longer. I’m being too picky because none of my baking testers here were opposed to it’s results. In fact, it disappeared really fast.
I make this galette pretty often with apples and whatever fruits I have on hand that are ripe. I also love to make it for dinner sometimes as a savory galette.I had some perfectly ripe strawberries and some frozen blueberries. I decided to make 6 mini galettes so everyone could have there own pretty little portion; almost like mini pies.

tuesdays-with-dorie-berry-galette-5

tuesdays-with-dorie-berry-galette-2

tuesdays-with-dorie-berry-galette-6

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie, Baking with Julia was hosted by Lisa of Tomato Thymes in the Kitchen and Andrea of The Kitchen Lioness.  Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs unless you are the hostess for the week. We encourage you to buy the book, Baking with Julia,  for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon. There is FREE worldwide shipping when you buy from The Book Depository.  Join us baking at Tuesdays with Dorie!

Im At Home Baking August 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Welcome to the group! Those look so delicious :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love a berry galette, these minis are adorable!

Ellen B Cookery August 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’ve been seeing these galettes lately and think this recipe is marvellous! Looks so yummy!

Cher Rockwell August 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm

It’s nice to see you pop up here, Lora.

The smaller version is perfect :-)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist August 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Gorgeous!!!

Vicki @ WITK August 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I love all of these Tuesday’s with Dorie posts, the food always looks great. Your little galettes look perfect and I love the fruit combo inside!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes August 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Great you´re baking here Lora! Gorgeous minis.

Teresa August 7, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’m glad to see you here! I always enjoyed your French Fridays posts. The individual galettes are so pretty – great idea.

Patty August 7, 2012 at 7:21 pm

OMG…those look too good…I need to make my poor dessert deprived husband a sweet after dinner treat!!!

Dawn August 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Yum! I’d already decided in my mind that next time I make this recipe I was going to make minis. Seeing yours confirms that idea! SO cute!

Inge and Gillian August 7, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Beautiful job. Just like the ones we found in Paris. Welcome to the group.

Shulie August 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm

These are the cutest mini berry galettes Lora. Absolutely adorbs, told ya on twitter! So summery fresh!

Junglefrog August 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm

These look totally worth making. I have the book too and love baking from it but I never seem to make it for the tuesdays with Dorie-sessions.. ;) Maybe I should give it another go!

Curts Delectables August 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm

We love these and yours look fantastic!

Lisa August 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Can I have 4 of these, please? Lora..you are a baking goddess. I wish my crusts turned out as gorgeous as yours. Not making anything ‘pie’ for a while has certainly given us two days of make up ‘pie’, goooood make up ‘pie’, and galettes. Who needs a pan? :)

Cindy August 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Mini galettes–what a fun idea. I do love my own little dessert. This was a yummy summer treat.

Sweet and That's it August 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Lora, what a brilliant idea to bake “mini galettes”: everyone can choose the filling they prefer and they look so elegantly rustic.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 8, 2012 at 12:02 am

Cutest mini galettes! Yum :)

Swathi Iyer August 8, 2012 at 2:26 am

Delicious berry galettes Lora. Love the juicy strawberries.

Lizzy Do August 8, 2012 at 3:09 am

I’m so glad you were able to make this week’s recipe…and, of course, you made it perfectly! Love your individual servings…yum!

www.you-made-that.com August 8, 2012 at 3:50 am

Yum I just love all the Summer fruit and the individual servings of these galette’s are so fun.

Baker Street August 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

very berry and super cute these galettes are! I always like the idea of individual desserts and these would be just perfect!

Angie's Recipes August 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

This looks so summery and scrumptious!

Kathy August 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

Perfectly beautiful galettes! Love the individual servings…such a treat for dessert! I really loved the dough. I thought it had a great texture due to the corn meal. Have a great day!!

Jen @ Savory Simple August 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

Beautiful! Individual serving galettes are a wonderful idea.

Jenny @ BAKE August 8, 2012 at 11:45 am

These are absolutely adorable! I love these pint size beauties!

Elisabeth August 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I just noticed your new post Lora. Love, love the cute and yummy little galettes. The crunchy crust, and the fruit filling was so perfect. I only got to taste 1/2 of one of the galettes, and Gabby was already cautioning me, that she needs to have one for breakfast, he, he! Great photos, as well!xoxo

Munatycooking August 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Mini galettes are adorable. The strawberries look caramelized and juicy!

Julia August 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love the idea of giving everyone their own! Welcome to the group!

Asmita August 9, 2012 at 4:58 am

I love the individual galettes. These look so cute and delicious!

kitchen flavours August 9, 2012 at 8:47 am

Your mini galettes looks wonderful! I have the book, if only I have more time!!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 9, 2012 at 11:33 am

Those photos are the epitome of summer baking. They look delicious!

The KitchenMaid August 10, 2012 at 2:07 am

Very cute. I must get my hands on one of Dorie’s books, I don’t think she’s very well known down under or even in the UK. This has to change!

Couscous & Consciousness August 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Love, love, love these little galettes – I have never made galette before, because I have a bit of a pastry phobia. But, I’m intrigued by a dough which has cornmeal and yoghurt, so I think I have to try. Not much in the way of summer fruits around here right now, but I’m thinking I might be able to get away with some frozen berries, or even tinned apricots.

Couscous & Consciousness August 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Couscous & Consciousness August 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Couscous & Consciousness August 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Cathleen August 12, 2012 at 3:17 am

Welcome! I love mini desserts. It is always fun to get your own personal package. They look wonderful.

Paula August 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm

What an interesting sounding recipe for galette dough with the cornmeal and yogurt and/or sour cream and what an enticing looking fruity galette.