Blueberry Mango Buckle

by cakeduchess on July 23, 2012 · 23 comments

blueberry-mango-buckle.1

It’s been mango madness month over here. I really can’t keep up with all these mangoes. It must be because our winter was so hot that our tree was able to produce what it was meant to produce.

blueberry-mango-buckle-6
And let me tell you, it has produced! Some days we are picking mangoes off the ground twice a day. That’s a lot of mangoes. I’ve canned and I’ve baked. There are mango sauces and mangoes are going into our salads every day. We are enjoying them in mango smoothies in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Fabrizio is bringing them to work and using them in recipes and giving them to his cooks. I’m giving them away to my neighbors and family.
Fabrizio saw my cake this weekend and said, “Let me guess…a mango cake?” What’s a girl to do but bake with them every day, right?;)

blueberry-mango-buckle-2
mango
mango.5
This is what we picked up yesterday morning.

blueberry-mango-buckle-4
Gabriella took this of me cleaning mangoes yesterday. That basket on the left was filled to the top. I was ready for a little relief and Gabriella jumped in to help me slice them after I peeled them. I’m getting carpal tunnel not from typing but from mango work. Mangoes can be tricky to clean.;) They slip and slide when you are trying to get the rest of the fruit next to the pit.

mango.2
Now on this cake. It’s a summer favorite of ours. I bake it every summer with different fruits. The first time I baked it was with just blueberries. Last summer I loved it with strawberries. This summer I thought about blueberries and mangoes. I’m glad I did because the combination is divine.

blueberry-mango-buckle-3
My dad was stopping by and there wasn’t any mango cake left so I put together a couple of mango quick breads for him. The one on the left was made with olive oil and apple sauce. The one on the right I made with buttermilk in the batter. My dad said the olive oil version was fantastic.

blueberry-mango-buckle-5

6dda6332d37a11e1992a22000a1e888f_7
A wonderful summer cake that you can make with your favorite stone fruit or berries. The cake is moist and delicious. Adjust the spice in the topping to your taste. I even add a little cinnamon to the batter. It’s a perfect breakfast or snack cake. For detailed photos of the how to make it, check out my strawberry buckle post.

Blueberry Mango Buckle
 adapted from Smith Bites

Cake Ingredients

1/4 cup of butter softened
3/4 cup of sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup of milk (*this time I used buttermilk instead and it was AMAZING)
zest of lemon
2 cups of flour
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup diced mangoes
Crumble Topping
1/3 cup of butter, softened
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and flour 9 inch square or round pan. In a small bowl, add the flour, zest, baking powder and salt and whisk the ingredients.

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the milk and egg; mix well. Add the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, salt; mix well.

Fold the berries and mangoes in gently by hand.

Spread cake batter in cake pan, sprinkle topping over batter and bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Hope your week starts off sweet and wonderful.:)
xo Lora

Arlee July 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I was just trying to decide what I should bake on this rainy morning. I turned on my computer and saw this! It’s a sign! Lol! Granted, I don’t have mangoes falling from the sky…but I do have blueberries and peaches!! It’s happenin’!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) July 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I haven’t baked with magoes but I do love them – they sound perfect with blueberries and I can never say no to anything with a crumble topping! :)

Winnie July 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I’ve never liked mango too much, but looking at this cake, I’m changing my mind!!
It looks soooooooooooo good, especially with the crumble topping

Reem | Simply Reem July 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I love mangoes….
When I was a kid we use to go to our grandparents home, they had lots of mangoes tree. we use to pick mangoes … you picture just took me back to my childhood days…
This looks perfect… You just made me crave mango badly!!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen July 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I´m making a mango blueberry pie next week that should be with nectarines but I can´t find them at all now. I can imagine this cake being great, but after your father´s comment, I need that olive oil bread recipe!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 24, 2012 at 1:43 am

I’m so jealous of your mango tree. I don’t think we’re far enough north to have successful mangoes but I’m always ready when they come in season. I could have stood over your sink and eaten them until I exploded.

Do you freeze the cheeks? I buy lots of frozen mango cheeks to use in sorbets and desserts.

Baker Street July 24, 2012 at 7:19 am

I totally want a mango tree! Heh. This buckle combines two of my favorite things! Love mango and LOVE Love love blueberry! This would be just the perfect treat after a long day! :)

Jamie July 24, 2012 at 7:36 am

I am not a mango girl, either, but I want a Buckle! Blueberry Buckle would do me just fine! It looks so scrumptious and perfect, I may snag this recipe and adapt it to what fruit I have around, too. We really love this kind of snack cake, and JP loves this kind of simple fruity cake for breakfast. And I cannot believe all those mangos on the ground!

Meeta K. Wolff July 24, 2012 at 7:37 am

OOh I love mangoes and am so envious of that tree!! I made a cherry buckle last week but would swap you a slice for some of that mango!

Tanya July 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ve never baked with mangoes… In fact, I generally only eat them in their natural state. This post reminds me of when I used to live in Jamaica. The neighbourhood we lived in had a park in the centre with 3 or 4 huge mango trees. The trees bore so much fruit that would fall to the ground; easy pickings.

This buckle sounds yummy. Besides, pretty much anything with a crumble topping HAS to be delicious, no? :-)

Emily July 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I cannot imagine having so many mangos. They are not my favorite but I love that you are baking with them. The buckle looks super yummy!

michelle July 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Want to send some of those my way, hahaha. This looks awesome and I know what it feels to have a scary surplus of something, but I am still way jealous!

PS Subscribed and subscribed again, so that even without Buzz, I won’t miss a post! I would love it if you would follow me too!

Paula July 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Glad to read that none of you got hit on the head by falling mangos like your Mom did! Your buckle looks so moist, the combination of the blueberries and mangoes must be delicious. I can only imagine how amazing that mango bread with olive oil must have been. Lucky Dad!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) July 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Lucky you to have a mango tree! When I was a child I remember looking forward to visits at my cousins because they had a huge mango tree in their yard. You’ve turned your bountiful harvest into beautiful sweets, Lora. :)

Ellen B Cookery July 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This looks super. I love Mangos!

Monet July 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hi lovely lady. This looks like a slice of heaven. And just when I need something delicious to get me through the afternoon. Thank you for sharing it with us. I wish I could come over and we could sit down and talk. I feel like its been too long. Let me know how you are doing. Hugs.

Amy July 25, 2012 at 1:59 am

You are so lucky to have access to all those mangoes! All of the treats you have been making with them look wonderful, but this buckle sounds especially good. I am a sucker for a crumble topped anything!

Lisa July 25, 2012 at 10:42 am

I’d be more than happy to come over and take a bushel of those mangoes off your hand, but it looks like you are making wonderful use of them, this blueberry-mango buckle being no exception! LOL@ the slip and slide pit. Mine hit the walls, remember? BTW..any calls to the mosquito hotline? ;)

Brian @ A Thought For Food July 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Look at that tree and all those beauties! How wonderful! Time to start getting creative! :-)

RavieNomNoms July 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Yum Yum and more yum!!

Angie's Recipes July 26, 2012 at 4:12 am

Lucky you having a productive mango tree in your garden! The mango buckle looks mouthwatering with streusel topping.

Kathy July 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I would love to have a mango tree in my yard….absolutely love them! Your buckle looks like a great way to use them…and that mango jam and chutney…yum! Enjoy your day!

Sue July 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm

My son and his wife would be in heaven with a mango tree! This recipe sounds so yummy!