My in-laws Italian Garden

by cakeduchess on June 27, 2012 · 13 comments

green-1
I don’t have a green thumb. I’m being completely honest. Not much survives in my garden besides my herbs and my mango tree. The mango tree requires zero maintenance so I shouldn’t brag too much about it being as amazing as it is.

This is what I find in my in-law’s garden in Italy in the summer months. All of this glorious green. This is a short post and I just want you to imagine the scents. That’s sage in the first photo. A bush of sage. I’ve never seen sage leaves as big as those before. Today for lunch Fabrizio and his mamma made a butter and sage sauce for some butternut squash gnocchi. I will share those photos when I get back home. It was delectable.

And below is wild mint. I don’t ever do much with mint but enjoy the marvelous smell of the leaves. I think I need to make some mint tea this afternoon.
greens-9
My father-in-law cutting some chicory that Teresa will make for lunch one day this week.

green-2
Oregano. Oregano that they planted from Calabria with the roots they brought back with them one year. My father-in-law said they did try to plant them once with the seeds but they did not grow. I guess even people with serious green thumbs come across occasional planting issues.;)

green-3green-4
And look at this kiwi! Yes, kiwi. They weren’t quite ready to try. I know Teresa will freeze some for us for the next time. She freezes every thing for us to try.

green-5

Peas fresh out of their pod. I couldn’t believe how sweet and delicious they were in their natural state.

green-6
This is just a little taste of what they have growing. I will leave you with the zucchini and zucchini flowers. You know that they  could mean only one thing…

greens-10
greens-11
Teresa’s incredible fritelle-zucchini fritters for an antipasto before lunch.:)

greens-7
greens-8
Teresa’s satisfied customers. The grandchildren happy to be the first ones sampling them.

Delicious greetings from Italy. Thanks for checking in to say hello! I have had sketchy internet service and have not been on Pinterest or my other favorite places recently. I love to share photos of my friends’ delicious posts. Be patient and I promise to be back soon with comments and sharing what I love when I am back home this summer. xo

A Thought For Food June 27, 2012 at 1:38 pm

What a garden! That all looks completely amazing. And those fritters… you made my tummy gurgle.

Ellen B Cookery June 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I love vegetable gardens. I also plant one year after year.

Bunkycooks June 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I know you all are eating well and enjoying all the great food in Italy. Can’t wait to hear more about it when you get back! xoxo

Pacheco Patty June 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Love the garden and seriously want to try a zucchini fritter! Enjoy looks like a wonderful time;-)

Paula June 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm

What a gorgeous and prolific garden! So wonderful to be able to enjoy all the fruits (and vegetables) of their labours.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) June 28, 2012 at 12:26 am

Love the zucchini fritters, delicious! Beautiful garden!

garden sheds sale June 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Love you garden! Nice post!

Lyndsey June 28, 2012 at 7:23 pm

What a fun post, I love seeing how a garden is supposed to look. I have a few pots of herbs, except rosemary that just keeps on growing. My mango tree does fine on it’s own too, but I have a bunch of squirrels beating me to them. Of course we have our side lot is full of oak trees. Looks like you are having a wonderful time, and eating well.

Lisa June 30, 2012 at 4:14 am

I would love to live in that garden. I’d just lie there and nibble all day long. I hope I can maintain a garden like that one day! What I would give for that bowl of zucchini fritters! Thanks so much for sharing this, Lora! xo

Toni @ Boulder Locavore July 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

I always love the ‘ride along’ when you visit the inlaws in the summer Lora! Being a gardener I also love seeing other people’s gardens! I am overrun with mint thanks to the fateful error of not keeping it in a pot. One refreshing thing I discovered last summer is that you can soak it in cold water in the fridge and make mint water (instead of mint tea). Like making sun tea but in the fridge so it stays cold. Enjoy your trip!

decocinasytacones July 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Beautiful garden!!!
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

Haddock July 10, 2012 at 1:14 am

Nothing like having them on the table which has come from your own garden….. and what variety.
Like that last picture of the kids.

Anne July 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I am an American here in Italy for a month with my children, staying with friends. They have a beautiful garden and I’m learning to cook some new things. (Yes, I like cooking on vacation!) Anyhow, I would love to know how the chicory was prepared. I sauteed some today and it was good, but the chicory I had in a restaurant a few days ago was better.