Fresh Apple Coffee Cake

by cakeduchess on May 30, 2012 · 42 comments

fresh-apple-coffeecake-2
We don’t seem to take enough coffee breaks these days. How did it happen that our worlds became so rushed? I remember growing up and being at my great-aunt’s house and watching her bake.

Mariskaneni always had a sweet Hungarian cake ready for her friends that would come over for a visit and a good chat. There was great conversation and delicious desserts to be shared with her company. And always some steaming hot coffee. I need to do that a little more over here.

I am very happy to announce I will be partnering  with Red Star Yeast in the next few months. Red Star Yeast is a brand I love to use for recipes that require yeast. It seemed natural to be baking some of their recipes here and sharing them with my readers.
If you’ve ready my blog for a while, you may have noticed that I’m comfortable baking with yeast. Some recent recipes I made: Caramelized Onion and Cherry Tomato Focaccia, Raisin Focaccia, Italian Easter Bread, Pandolce Genovese, and a Christmas Stollen.
It was not easy to decide on which Red Star Yeast recipe I would try first. Their site is full of delicious recipes. There is an entire section on coffee cakes and since apple desserts are my all-time favorite kind of dessert, I had to make their Fresh Apple Coffee Cake. Plus, my dad adores my apple desserts. He recently hinted it’s been a while since I’ve made him one of my apple pies and he was excited to get a half of this apple cake.;)

I first time I baked it, I put the crumble topping ingredients on the bottom of a bundt cake. When it cooled, I flipped it and oh my goodness…what a topping it had!It was a hard caramel/toffee like topped apple cake. I honestly liked that “oops” version better than with a crumble topping because I go gaga for any thing caramel or toffee.

You may wonder what the consistency is like in the cake. It’s more dense than your regular coffee cake. Almost bread like. Fabrizio said it was like a panettone in consistency. As for the spices (cinnamon/nutmeg), adjust it to your liking. I added a little more cinnamon to the batter. I like a stronger cinnamon flavor. The nutmeg amount for me was perfect. If you prefer more nutmeg, adjust to the way you enjoy it. :)

fresh-apple-coffeecake-1

fresh-apple-coffeecake-3
fresh-apple-coffeecake-4
The cake is so easy to make and rises up nicely. It is sweet and moist from the apples and the crumble topping is wonderful. Perfect for an afternoon coffee break and delightful for breakfast.

Fresh Apple Coffee Cake
recipe used with permission from Red Star Yeast

1 cup water
1 egg
2 Tbsp. shortening
2 3/4 cup bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 tsp)
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
1 cup apple, peeled, chopped or shredded
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (cake is also delicious when you omit walnuts)

Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened

Directions:
Preheat Oven to 375ºF.

Grease and flour (or spray with baking spray) a tube pan or a 9-inch square cake pan.

In saucepan, heat water and shortening until very warm (120°-130° F; shortening does not need to melt). In large mixer bowl, combine 1+1/2 cups flour, yeast, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon; mix well.  Add water with the shortening to the flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. With a spatula, mix in the remaining flour, the apples and walnuts a little at a time until combined and you have a soft batter.

Prepare Topping: Combine brown sugar, flour, and spices. Mix the butter in with your hands until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over the dough.

Cover; let rise in warm place about 30 (I let mine rise about 45 minutes) minutes. Bake at 375º F for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.

Disclosure – This post was sponsored by Red Star Yeast. All opinions are my own.

A Thought For Food May 30, 2012 at 3:39 am

After this crazy month, I’m totally making this cake when I get back! Looks incredible’

simple baking May 30, 2012 at 9:18 am

oooh I would love a piece of that cake with my coffee!! The crumble topping looks perfect.

Carolyn May 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

Coffee and tea time breaks…those are up my alley. If you lived nearby, I’d have you over for tea! Love the cake, Lora.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 30, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Wow, this looks delish – I love all the apples and the golden crumble topping!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel May 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm

*droool* I’m so glad I don’t have that sitting on my counter. I have no self control with apple recipes lol

Winnie May 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm

It looks wonderful!
Does it keep fresh and moist for a few days? Or does it have to be refrigerated and warmed before serving?

Cake Duchess May 30, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Thanks, Winnie:) I’ve never had it around longer than 2 days so I can’t honestly tell you;)We had it the 2nd day again and it was still moist:)

Winnie May 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for your quick reply
I want it for Fri-night and Sat. so I think the best way for me would be to bake it on Fri morning
Thanks again :)

Cake Duchess May 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm

You’re welcome. The 2nd time I left out the walnuts and it was still wonderful. :)

Jennifer May 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I love coffee cakes, and I love apple desserts. What a perfect combo!

Paula May 30, 2012 at 10:33 pm

This is really interesting to me that you would make a coffee cake using yeast. It looks delicious and I’m sure it is packed with flavour.

Congratulations on this partnership with Red Star Yeast. I’m looking forward to more of your great recipes :)

Tania @ A Perfect Pantry May 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I love coffee cakes with apple or pear in them… it just gives them that fresh sweet taste with each mouthful. Thanks for sharing. I have a few extra apples in the fridge, so I might try this out.

Rachel May 31, 2012 at 12:02 am

This cake sounds lovely! I like how yeasted coffee cakes often contain a more reasonable amount of sugar and butter than other coffee cakes, plus you get some of that chewy, bready texture. Yeah, I just talked myself into making this.

Happy When Not Hungry May 31, 2012 at 1:08 am

This looks beautiful! I love coffee cakes. Yum!

Red Star Yeast May 31, 2012 at 1:22 am

The coffee cake looks irresistible! Thanks for showing how easy it is to bake with yeast :)

Amy May 31, 2012 at 1:56 am

This cake sounds awesome Lora! I love all of the apple goodness added to this, it would be perfect warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :)!

Cake Duchess June 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Amy-I agree! Nothing like apple cake with vanilla ice cream:)

sandi May 31, 2012 at 2:23 am

That looks so yummy!

Kim - Liv Life May 31, 2012 at 2:28 am

Fantastic recipe!! I don’t usually do coffee cakes with yeast, but this one looks like a winner. Just like Red Star!!

Shulie May 31, 2012 at 3:15 am

Great recipe Lora. I baked million different apple cakes but never a yeast apple cake. I bet it tasted incredible. I would love aslice along with my herbal tea, please? :) Congrats on your partnership with Resd Star Yeast! Yay!

Andrea G in Morgan Hill, CA May 31, 2012 at 4:20 am

Hi, I think it’s great to make a coffee cake with fresh fruit and use yeast. On reading the recipe I couldn’t find the ingredients for the topping. I looked it up on the red star yeast page. thanks for the idea!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate May 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

Congrats on your partnership. I look forward to a yeast apple cake, something I’ve been meaning to try.

Meg {henninglove} May 31, 2012 at 4:45 pm

wow this cake looks amazing!! makes me wish i had a bundt pan so i could make this, i love the taste of apples in a coffee cake

Jenn Kendall May 31, 2012 at 6:47 pm

that looks like a delicious cake – i definitely need to try it!

Lisa May 31, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I don’t see many cakes that contain yeast loking this moist! It reminds me of a cake my grandma used to make..it looks delicious and lovely! Congrats on partnering up with Red Star..looking forward to seeing and bookmarking (eventually making lol) all the treats you come up with! xoxo

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I love fresh apple cake. I think we don’t drop by for coffee enough these days so people don’t bake coffee cakes as much.

We’re all working or blogging or attending events with kids and family. It’s a sad tradition to lose. I’m glad you’re keeping this cake alive. :)

Monet June 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Oh my…I want to make this now. You know how much I love apple desserts. And this one with yeast? I want it now! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me, my sweet friend. Sending hugs!

Lemons and Anchovies June 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I love all apple desserts–cakes, tarts, pies–I’ll eat them all but I do like your version here best for breakfast or afternoon tea. I love the apple chunks dotting the cake. Looking forward to your other Red Star recipes. :)

Hope you’re having a great weekend, Lora!

Jamie June 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm

What a gorgeous cake! But yeast? There’s yeast in it? Beautiful! And believe me when I say that someone (ahem) loves apple coffee cakes and begs me regularly to make one: a favorite breakfast. So now this wonderful recipe is bookmarked. Delicious!!

Lilianna Grace June 3, 2012 at 3:01 am

I actually would love to make this tomorrow and while reveiewing the ingredients noticed a typo on the cinnamon used for the cake. I assume it’s 1/2 tsp. cinnamon that is required?

Cake Duchess June 3, 2012 at 1:28 pm

The original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. I added 1 tsp because we love a little more cinnamon in our cakes:)Happy baking!

Mac June 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Apple and Cinnamon this looks and sounds really good can’t wait to make this thanks for sharing Lora.

Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 10:24 pm

looks wonderful! What kind of apple did you use?

Mari June 5, 2012 at 12:09 am

A must do for me. Looks awesome Lora :) Congratulations on your partnering with Red Star Yeast!

Hugs

Tickled Red June 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Coffee cakes are my favorite so I am making this one for sure. It looks so moist and scrumptious!

Kaera July 2, 2012 at 5:58 am

This coffee cake looks delicious. I love apples in desserts, they work so well with spices and when caramelized. I have to admit though, while I have no aversion to cooking with yeast, I tend to be a bit impatient with my sweets. Especially when I have a good recipe that doesn’t take the added 45 min (http://kaerasmith.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/cinnamon-and-ginger-coffee-cake/). In your honest opinion, is the cake worth the wait?

Cake Duchess July 26, 2012 at 2:00 am

I love the flavor from and fluffiness from the yeast and don’t mind the wait. But I know what you mean about not being able to wait:)

saborescomhistoria September 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Hi. I´ve found your blog when i was looking for a different recipe with apples and your seemed to be perfect, and it’s much more than that. Thanks for share. Have a nice weekend and sorry my word mistakes.
You can see your recipe here :)

Leigh November 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I made this, this morning only I put the batter in muffin tins…Still delicious but thy aren’t nearly as fluffy as the cake looks! I’ll definately be making it in cake form in a couple days!!!

Lisa April 2, 2013 at 2:18 am

Why must you always post such beautiful and mouth-watering baked goods? Post something that looks gross so I don’t feel the need to gorge every time I’m here, you diet killer you! OK, (regaining composure) this yeasted apple cake looks to be the perfect combination of fluffy bread and cake – perfection! Congrats on partnering with Red Star Yeast! xoxo

Italian girl August 14, 2013 at 1:48 pm

SEI BRAVISSIMA!!! ;-)

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }