Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake with Fluffy White Icing

by cakeduchess on April 23, 2012 · 33 comments

hershey's-perfectly-chocolate-cake-with-fluffy-white-icing-1

The month’s are flying by this year and I sometimes wish I could freeze the clock for a moment. Another birthday came and went in March and I decided to bake a delicious chocolate cake with fluffy white icing. You may also know fluffy white icing as marshmallow frosting or seven minute frosting. My mom used to make it for us for our birthdays when we were little.

My little angel turned six. It seems as if it was yesterday that I found out I was expecting him. I know everyone probably says, “Where did the time go?” But really…where did it go? He’s already reading and riding his little bike. He’s on his first soccer team and is quite a little flirt. The other day at school I was visiting him at lunch and his little girl friend told me, “I thought Luca was about to hit me and instead he put a flower behind my ear.” He was blushing and giggling over his sweet gesture. I was smiling thinking I’m definitely in trouble.
hershey's-perfectly-chocolate-cake-with-fluffy-white-icing-5

luca.1

He and his sister both love to bake. But Luca is the first one that runs over to the kitchen as soon as I say I’m baking something to help me. He grabs the eggs from the fridge and if I let him, he would crack the whole container. “I’m a chef, right mommy? , he asks me almost each time we bake together. I answer the same way each time, “Yes baby, you’re a chef-just like daddy.”  Sensitive and silly like his daddy; they both are wonderful artists and who knows if he will follow in his daddy’s footsteps and be a real chef one day too.

baking1

The chocolate cake is a Hershey’s recipe that I have used many times over the years. I even posted a similar recipe when I first blogged that was passed on to me years ago by my best friend.  I bet the Inn that she found it from probably adapted the Hershey’s recipe because they are very similar. I knew even though Fabrizio was making Luca an incredible Italian cake at the restaurant, I had to make this chocolate cake that is a favorite with the kids and their friend (and they do also eat the Italian one;)

hershey's-perfectly-chocolate-cake-with-fluffy-white-icing-2

hershey's-perfectly-chocolate-cake-with-fluffy-white-icing-4
The fluffy white icing (or marshmallow frosting/seven minute frosting) is maybe the best part. Or maybe the very chocolaty and moist cake is the best part. I can’t decide. I better bake another one and taste it again.;) Or better yet,  you can make it and then tell me which is the the best part! I will post the recipe for the frosting on Wednesday . It’s my mom’s recipe and it deserves an entire post just for the frosting. The Hershey’s cake recipe is found on the back of the cocoa box and on their website and it even comes with a  chocolate frosting. If you prefer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, I’m sure the frosting is a winner.

Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake with Mom’s Fluffy White Icing

2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

cake directions:

*If you don’t have buttermilk on hand (I usually never do), simply add one tablespoon of white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Add the milk to the vinegar until it reaches one cup and let mixture stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes. It should be curdled. Give it a whirl with your spoon…look, you just made your own buttermilk!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with baking spray (or if you prefer, butter the bottom of each pan and line the bottoms with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper).*

If you use the butter/parchment paper method, dust the pans after adding the butter to the parchment paper with cocoa powder. Shake out the excess and set the pans aside while you prep the batter.

In a medium sized bowl, add the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Pour in the boiling water and stir together until you have a smooth chocolate mixture.

In the bowl of your stand mixer (if you don’t have a stand mixer, in a medium sized bowl), mix together on low speed the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. In a small bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla, stopping the mixer to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to combine all the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture a little at time into the flour mixture and mix together until combined.
Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture and mix until combined; stop the mixture and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to incorporate all of the chocolate mixture.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes (mine were ready at about 28 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in their pans for about 20 minutes. While the cakes are cooling, you can prep whichever frosting you are using. For the Hershey’s chocolate frosting, click here. For my fluffy marshmallow frosting (seven minute frosting), come back on Wednesday.  :)
Happy Monday! I know Monday’s are rough…but starting with a chocolate cake makes it a little sweeter, right?;)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen April 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

This is my kind of cake! Happy birthday to your little guy, such a cutie!

What's Annie Making? April 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I love this cake recipe! I’ve made the Hershey’s cake several times now, and I’m actually using an adaptation of it for my groom’s cake at my wedding.

Jen @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Can I want cake for breakfast? This looks fabulous and so drool worthy! Yum!! Ok, now all I am thinking about is cake!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) April 23, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I love a good chocolate cake with marshmallow frosting but I’ve only ever made it once. there’s something about the fluffy icing that just makes it so fun to eat–well, the chocolate, too.

Happy Birthday to your little angel. He is a handsome boy! :)

Abby April 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm

This cake def started my week off right :) Happy Birthday to your little guy!

Magic of Spice April 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Happy Birthday to your little one! Love the cake and love the frosting :)

Karriann April 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm

A perfect chocolate cake indeed! By the way, please greet your little one for me ;)

“Happy Cooking”

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking April 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Happy birthday to your sweet little boy! What a fabulous cake to celebrate the occasion. I’m sure his 6th birthday was enjoyed in chocolatey heaven!!

Paula April 23, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Happy birthday Luca! And yes, he is a little chef to be sure. My mom used to make that frosting too. I can’t remember when I had it last but this post is making me crave both the cake and the frosting!

Sara@ OneTribeGourmet April 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Happy Birthday to a handsome young man, Luca! Cake looks fab! Yum!

Reem | Simply Reem April 23, 2012 at 8:28 pm

A Very Happy Birthday Luca!!!
He is adorable..
The cake looks so delicious and gorgeous!!!….
Absolutely craving for it now!!

Emily April 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

This is a beautiful cake. I just want to stick my finger in the frosting for a little sample.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com April 24, 2012 at 2:40 am

Happy Birthday Luca.

My gosh – they grow up so quick don’t they ! My little boy is now 3.1/2 and loves baking. He’d sell his soul for a macaron or chocolate cake.

Happy Days.

(I’m with Emily. I want to stick my finger in the frosting. Yum )

simple baking April 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm

The cake looks gorgeous! Happy Bday to Luca!

Annie Oakley's Kitchen April 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Happy Birthday to your little guy! They certainly do grow up too quickly :(

That Hershey cake is one that I also know and love dearly. I’ve never used the 7 minute frosting though, I will have to give that one a try!

Carolyn April 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That certainly is a gorgeous cake, Lora. Happy Birthday to your little man!!!

Shulie April 24, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Nice Lora and what a wonderful glimpse into little Luca’s charming personality. Happy b-day little dude!! Love that you used a recipe you use for years now and your mom’s frosting from when you were growing up. It’s all so precious, hang on tight time does fly! :)

Lisa April 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Happy Birthday to Luca! It love “I’m a chef, right Mommy?” TOO CUTE! It’s so awesome how much your kids love to bake and cook. No doubt they’ve got ‘chef’ in them since their Dad is one and you’re a fabulous baker snd cook! I also love Hershey’s famous chocolate cake – one of the best..and 7 minute frosting is so fluffy and perfect! Beautifil cake for a very special little guy!

DessertForTwo April 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I could just lick the screen that looks so good! Happy Birthday to little man! :)

A Thought For Food April 24, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Oh… hell… the whole thing looks amazing. That frosting will be my demise. I have no will power and there’s no way I could possibly hold myself back from licking every last speck of frosting.

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey April 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm

This looks so wonderful. I love the contrast of white frosting and the chocolate. The photo of the too cuties in aprons is precious!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate April 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm

What a wonderful birthday cake. Our eight year old would go gaga for it. Chocolate and marshmellow, her favorite flavors! The photos are adorable.

I’ve always been a bit afraid to make buttermilk that way; however, you are the second person who has told me to add vinegar. I think it is time to try it.

Beth Michelle April 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I am due in Oct. with my first and I am already saying where has the time gone! I feel like this pregnancy just started and Im already almost half way through.
This is such a perfect birthday cake! So yummy. My birthday just passed, but I can find another excuse to make it!

Rosita Vargas April 26, 2012 at 2:48 am

OMG…un pastel irresistible me encanta el glaseado el merengue es un clásico muy bienvenido ,torta espectacular.
Adoro todo lo que preparan los norteamericanos y tu cocina es maravillosa tienes imaginación y estoy agradecida de EEUU son los que más me visitan en empate con Chile,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Jamie April 26, 2012 at 9:18 am

Oooh a new chocolate cake recipe for me to try. This one is a little different than my Hershey’s Cookbook recipe. Looks so scrumptious. And now you want me to try that frosting again (I didn’t have great luck with it before). Yours is perfect! And happy birthday Luca!!! I love seeing your kids in the kitchen! xo

Maria April 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

What a great cake to celebrate such a cutie!

kita April 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm

What a great cake to celebrate a birthday! The pictures of your little ones are so cute. Love those little aprons! :D

Laureen April 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Just started following your blog, everything looks so scrumptious.

recipeland April 29, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Wow, this cake looks beautiful and I’m sure it tastes delicious as well. Love the contrast color of black and white, and if I use half whole wheat flour and half white flour, the cake would be even healthier. Happy Birthday!

Troy October 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Made this cake for my wifes birthday and it was awesome.

Anonymous October 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I used this frosting on s’more cupcakes and toasted it with a culinary torch. Amazing! Thank you for sharing!

sam June 9, 2013 at 5:46 am

I love the look of this cake but i carnt see the recipie for the frosting ?

cakeduchess June 10, 2013 at 12:43 pm