Orange Yogurt Mini-Bundt Cakes

by cakeduchess on March 14, 2012 · 62 comments

orange-yogurt-mini-bundt-cakes-1
I know…not just one bundt. But multiple mini bundts! I sometimes can’t help myself! The glaze is torture to look at again. I’ll keep this brief so I can go and bake some more!

As we commenced our second year of our vintage recipe swap, our groups’ fabulous leader, Christianna from Burwell General Store, decided that due to our groups’ growth, it was a good time to divide us into two groups that post on different days of the month. The first group will still be the first Sunday of the month, and the second group will be two weeks later on a Wednesday.

The recipe redo is a sometimes a challenge for me. I look at some of the recipes and wonder in which direction I should go. Occasionally that direction is not clear to me until the day before I have to post. Talk about procrastinating! What’s been interesting is watching the group not taking the recipe literally and really enjoying the freedom to interpret the recipe to our own individual taste.

At this moment in my life, I’m not too crazy about Jell-O.  When I had my surgery last April, I had to eat what seems like pounds of it.  I may be traumatized by last year and my Jell-O diet just a bit.  Will I never eat it again? Who knows? Never say never. For now…it was too soon to explore a recipe made with it. So for this month’s Vintage Recipe Swap…I completely avoided it and just stuck with the theme of orange. I swapped out the cottage cheese with Greek style yogurt and thought about cake! I always seem to find a way to think about a cake.;)

recipeswap_jello

I love when my mom goes thrifting. She usually finds a little something for all of us and it’s usually brand new! Sometimes she really scores and finds baking things for us. That just puts me in the best mood.
Who doesn’t like someone showing up with cute mini Bundt pans? I LOVE Bundt cakes but have been too cheap to invest in the pans. I figured there’s nothing wrong with a full Bundt cake. Until mom brought me by the pans she got for steal: two pans for less than $3. Well, $2.19 to be exact! Thrifting takes determination and a good eye.;)
As soon as I said I was baking mini-bundts the requests started pouring in! Of course the kids wanted something with chocolate or chocolate chips. I settled on what I was craving and it had to be citrus based.

orange-yogurt-mini-bundt-cakes-3
orange-yogurt-mini-bundt-cakes
I LOVE these delicious and moist mini bundts! The orange flavor is refreshing and the Greek yogurt makes the cake extra moist.

You can make these as 12 mini-bundts, if you don’t happen to have the mini-bundt pans, make one regular size bundt. If you’re a cupcake fan, this recipe will make you 24 fabulous cupcakes!

Orange Yogurt Mini-Bundt Cakes
slightly adapted from Jane’s Sweets and Baking Journal

2 and 2/3 cups All-Purpose flour (I used unbleached)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
1 and 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. grated orange zest
4 eggs, large
1 cup and 1 Tbsp. plain Greek style yogurt
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp. limoncello (if you do not have any on hand, you can omit)

icing:

1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Liberally coat with baking spray, or grease and flour 12 mini-bundts (or one 9″ bundt pan or pans for 24 cupcakes).

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another small bowl, stir together the yogurt and the milk just until smooth.

Beat together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest for about 5 minutes, until smooth and light. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl periodically.
Add in the eggs one a time, still at medium speed, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Mix well after each egg.

With your mixer on low speed, add in the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt in three additions. Start and end with the flour mixture. Mix just until the batter is incorporated and then increase the speed to medium and mix until the entire mixture is smooth and light (about 2 minutes).

Mix in the orange juice and the limoncello on low speed for about a minute until blended.
Spoon the batter carefully into a pastry bag and pipe evenly into your pan(s); smooth the top of the batter.mixed, no more than 30 seconds

Bake about 15 minutes or until the center of a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.Do not wait for the exposed part of the mini-bundts to look golden brown).  If you make cupcakes, the baking time should be about the same and at least an hour for one large bundt cake. Check the time on a large bundt at about 40
minutes. Every oven is different.

Allow the  mini-bundt pans to cool about 10 minutes before inverting the pans onto a cooling racks to remove the cakes. For a  large bundt cake, let it cool completely before inverting onto your serving plate.
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice and powdered sugar to make the icing. When the cakes have cooled, drizzle on the icing. ENJOY!

Thanks for stopping by to say HELLO:)Happy Weekend to you all:)

Pin It

Julia March 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’ve been excited to see what you came up with. These look great! I see we both ended up ommiting the jell-o, hmmm, that’s sort of funny.

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen March 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Mini bundts are sooo fun!!

Barbara | Creative Culinary March 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm

And in the end you did it again…they look simple and delicious. I’ll trade you a slice of cake for one, OK?

Sabrina Modelle March 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm

When in doubt, eat cake. Mind if I steal that? I love these little bundts, they look just perfect.

Kim - Liv Life March 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm

What a hit these would be in my household!!! We love just about anything orange, and cake version is always a plus. I’m with you on the jello though! Not a big fan. Beautiful little cakes!

Choc Chip Uru March 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm

These are so cute and moist – and cupcake sized no less? Perfect :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Tya @ Note Etc. March 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm

oh… that looks beautiful, I love anything that make from lemon/orange zest and the juice, its refreshing!

cheers

The Cozy Herbivore March 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm

These look so elegant! I love the way you drizzled the frosting over the top– spectacular. And what a great idea to use Greek yogurt– I bet these are super moist. Great interpretation of the original recipe!

Lizzy March 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Oh, your mom is such a gem!!! She finds the best stuff thrifting :) These mini Bundts look fabulous…especially with that dripping glaze. My gang would love these beauties!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate March 14, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Wow, I now need to keep an eye out for mini bundt pans, I too have not yet invested in them; unfortunately, I don’t think I’m as thrifty as your mom. Lovely photos and story. I understand the difficulty in eating something that one ate to much of previously. I picked pears one summer and it took me at least three years to eat pears again.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 14, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Oh Lora, these are GORGEOUS!!

Pola M March 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm

these mini bundts look delicious! I would love to have some!

Toni @ Boulder Locavore March 14, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Miss you on Sundays Swappie! These are darling! I too love a good find like this and your Mom has the knack! I’m sure you were thrilled as were your dining benefactors. What a sweet counter to Jello! I too have a hospital experience with grape juice that has left it sadly in my youth forever I think. Beautiful dish my friend.

Amalia March 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I’ve wanting to get mini bundt pans for a long time now because everything’s so much better personal-sized! These look delicious, I love the citrus flavors, I need to start using more orange in my baking :) And I definitely need to start shopping at thrift stores more often!

Cher Rockwell March 14, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Lora! These are lovely. There is something about mini-cakes that makes them extra special (Probably because you can eat a whole one without sharing)

Sara{OneTribeGourmet} March 15, 2012 at 12:33 am

Such cute mini bundt cakes with such lovely flavors orange yogurt!

Priscilla @ShesCookin March 15, 2012 at 12:53 am

Oh, these mini citrusy bundt cakes are the cutes, and I can see how moist they are! I love what you come up with for the vintage recipe swaps – and that you left out the jello this time :)

Paula March 15, 2012 at 12:54 am

Love that you swapped the original recie out for these cute little bundts! They look wonderful and what a great way to make use of the *steal* your Mom found at the thrift store.

Happy When Not Hungry March 15, 2012 at 1:16 am

These mini cakes are beautiful! Love the flavors.

Anonymous March 15, 2012 at 2:03 am

What is limoncello? Where would I find it? These look delish.

Cake Duchess March 15, 2012 at 2:26 am

Thank you:)Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur. You could probably find it at a local liqueur store or sub it out with some lemon juice:)

S.V. March 15, 2012 at 4:42 am

Your mom is awesome… I need some mini bundt pans lol. These look so tasty and the flavors sound lovely. My kids would totally ask for something chocolate to. :)

Baker Street March 15, 2012 at 5:37 am

I love mini bundts and the glaze you added to these divine little treats.

Sue March 15, 2012 at 6:07 am

These look delicious and so bright and springy!

Tina March 15, 2012 at 8:19 am

Since I have a definite distaste for jello, I feel that I would have to starve after surgery!
These cakes are definitely more to my liking. I remember when I had my first citrus yogurt cake-I have been hooked ever since! Your little bundt cakes look like winners-yum!

Shannon March 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm

These are so cute! Now I want a mini bundt pan!!

Shannon March 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

These are so cute! Now I want a mini bundt pan!!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm

These are lovely little bundts, Lora! Love the orange and yogurt that you used. I bet they made for a delicious, moist cake. Great job!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) March 15, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Lora, these are gorgeous and I’m glad you decided to yield to your citrus cravings–sounds great to me, too.

Those mind bundts are an awesome find!

Peggy March 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Great job with the mini bundts! These sounds like the perfect spring treat =)

Amy March 15, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Lora, these are so adorable! They sound delicious as well, I love the addition of the Greek yogurt!

Becky March 16, 2012 at 1:31 am

I love mini sized desserts, and your orange mini bundt cakes are gorgeous, and bursting with orange flavor. Wish that I had one now:)

Jamie March 16, 2012 at 2:40 am

I had to go the cake route also! I am obsessed with your mini bundt pans though – I’ll be sure to put them on my wedding registry…

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 16, 2012 at 3:56 am

Mmmm.. delish orange mint bundt cakes :)

ps: See you tomorrow at FBF Orl :)

Lisa March 16, 2012 at 5:43 am

What a fantastic idea to glean from that orange snowflake salad. You and Barb have slayed me with your creations from it! Your mini-bundts are beautiful, and undoubtedly taste as good as they look :) Your photos are scrumptious!

Becky March 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

Lora,
Congrats on the Top 9 today.

Sandra March 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I love my mini bundt pan and don’t use it often enough. These little cuties you baked look yummy. Congrats on Top 9!

EA-The Spicy RD March 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

What a great mom , and I love your mini orange bunts!! That jello salad recipe looks just like something my mom makes ( and my grandmother made too!), only they use like jello. So fun looking at old recipes!

A Thought For Food March 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm

These look so incredibly moist and are relatively healthy too! Not to mention ADORABLE!

RavieNomNoms March 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm

This is just superb! Congrats on the Top 9 today. These little bundts just look like an amazing treat to have around.

Karriann March 16, 2012 at 2:33 pm

They look so cute and delicious! Can I have a bite of that? ;)

“Happy Cooking”

gayleb March 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm

These do look good and so cute! I have kids as well, and they always seem to want something chocolate! Have you tried these with any other “kid” flavors?

Sando Weis March 16, 2012 at 3:48 pm

These are precious! fabulous photos as well :)

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin March 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I love to use Greek yogurt in my baking, so this sounds like a perfect recipe for me :) Looks really delicious!

Abby March 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

They are so cute!! Everything about these sounds so wonderful, can’t wait to try them.

bunkycooks March 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I love baking things in smaller portions. With just two of us in the house, we don’t need large cakes. These would be perfect to set a few aside and freeze! The citrus flavors sound refreshing, especially with the Greek yogurt. Thanks for sharing this recipe. :-)

Maria March 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love my mini bundt pan! The cakes are super cute!

Reeni March 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm

The mini bundts are so cute! And the orange flavor so refreshing and delectable ! I love that you think “cake” all the time! xoxo

Jamie March 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I love that original salad recipe. Hysterical and so 1960s! And I love your cake rendition of it! Fabulous! And oooh I love mini Bundtlets and have my own pan. Love the orange cakes and I so want to make these now! Adorable. And that glaze adds to the yumminess. Perfect, Lora, perfect!

Ambika March 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

The bundts look so pretty! I love citrus in cakes and this looks so perfect! I recently made an orange cake and drenced it in orange simple syrup, I can do that with this recipe too!!

Alex March 18, 2012 at 5:15 am

I love mini bundt pans! I just received some for Christmas and they are the cutest things ever! Great idea adding the Greek yogurt!

Reem | Simply Reem March 18, 2012 at 9:07 am

Sinfully Adorable!!!
These are so so cute, fabulous pics!!!

Sara Grace March 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I can’t stop looking at the pictures! They are wonderful…the mini-bundt cakes look stunning (and delicious)! Must must must make these!

Aunty Pol March 21, 2012 at 1:19 am

Hi..new reader here . This is similar to a recipe I have for an orange tea bread, and instead of a traditional glaze..while the bread is still warm I use orange marmalade that is warmed in the mircowave..give it a try.

Waving from Houston

Aunty Pol March 21, 2012 at 1:20 am

Hi,,me again…may I repost this with proper credits in my blog ? BTW..Thrifting Rocks !

Waving from Houston

Alli Shircliff March 21, 2012 at 3:47 am

Mini bundt cakes are about the best idea in the world! What a score that your mom found them for $2.19 too :) Such a great spin on the original recipe and I am sure everyone around you liked the idea too!

Anonymous March 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I just made my cakes. Thank you very very much, delicious!!! GREAT tip to spoon the batter into a pastry bag and then pipe it into pans. I cut the sugar a bit. Great taste!!! thanks :)

Dishing Gourmet March 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm

These look deliciously donut-like!

altermyworld May 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm

i am so glad i found your blog, i have recently (mothers day) acquired my first bundt cake. i think they are so gorgeous and entirely underrated. I mean really ! With weight conscious society these are a perfect mix as they are not loaded with lots of icing. I can’t wait to look all over your blog.
Happy Baking!
ANg
PS i hate jello also!

Mike April 13, 2014 at 8:01 am

A question… Have you tried making these with some sort of orange liquor instead of limoncello? If so, how did they turn out?
Thanks.

cakeduchess April 15, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I sometimes vary between a limoncello and an orange liqueur and it turns out great either way.