Ham and Cheese Quiche {Quiche con Prosciutto e Formaggio}

by cakeduchess on March 21, 2012 · 32 comments

ham-and-cheese-quiche-1

I’m just like the average person that gets a mad craving for something. Maybe I’m not like the average person because most of my mad cravings involves a homemade pie crust. And it’s usually ME that is making the pie crust. So sadly many of my cravings remain just that, a craving.

But sometimes my cravings do get satisfied. Depending on how ambitious I’m feeling and what I have in my fridge. I was craving a quiche and it had to have cream and plenty of gooey cheese. Those were the my only requirements. My dream requirement was having someone else make it for me. But that wasn’t happening. So I took out my food processor and put the most simple crust together that I’ve shared here quite a few times. It’s a winner from my Baking with Julia book. I could eat this crust for lunch and dinner every day and even breakfast. It’s the perfect texture for any savory tart you dream of baking.

The beauty of a quiche is you can fill it with whatever you have on hand and within a short time have a delicious and impressive dinner.

But really…this isn’t just my quiche. It is also YOUR quiche. Make it your own as you would like it. I wish I could bake it for you. You need more cheese in it? Go ahead! It’s your mad craving. I say you should satisfy it. I did. And it was exquisite.
ham-and-cheese-quiche-2
My mom reminded me I didn’t take a photo of a slice of the quiche. It was burning hot. We were on the way to a basketball ceremony. I knew you all wouldn’t mind. I did take a photo of the filling before it was baked. See…there’s the ham and oodles of cheese…are you hungry yet?
ham-and-cheese-quiche-3
ham-and-cheese-quiche-4
Ham and Cheese Quiche {Quiche con Prosciutto e Formaggio}

Galette Dough

made in a 9 inch round removable bottom tart pan
serves about 4 people

1 c.  all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cornmeal (I used plain cornmeal)
7 Tb. cold butter
1/3 c. ice water
3 Tb. sour cream
Filling
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1-2 cups diced provolone cheese (or whatever soft cheese you prefer)
1 cup diced ham
salt and pepper to taste

Galette Dough

Stir flour and cornmeal together.  Cut in butter with your fingertips until butter is in pea-sized lumps.  Stir ice water and sour cream together in a small bowl, then add to flour mixture.  Mix together with a fork until mixture holds together and form into a ball.  Put ball on a piece of plastic wrap, loosely gather plastic wrap around it and twist, then press dough into a disc. Refrigerate for one hour before rolling out.  Roll out on a floured surface till dough is about 1/8″ thick.  Fold into quarters and transfer to baking sheet.  Unfold and fill. You could also make the dough by pulsing in a food processor.

Remove the dough. Squish the ball down flat and wrap it in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours.( You could also work with the dough the next day and it will be fine.)
In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs. Whisk in the milk, cream, salt and pepper until the mixture is frothy. Toss the cheese and ham over the bottom of the crust. Pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese.

Place the quiche on a baking sheet 40-50 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and the filling is set but still jiggles a little in the middle. Check tart at about 30 minutes. If the tart shell is browning too much, cover the tart with foil paper for the rest of the baking time. Let tart cool before removing from tart pan or slice directly in the tart pan when warm.

Happy Wednesday! What is your favorite filling for a quiche?:)

A Thought For Food March 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

That’s why I love quiche… you can add in all of your favorite ingredients. This looks lovely, Lora!

Shulie March 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm

As you know my friend I do not eat ham but boy is this quiche is so very tempting. I do however loved reading Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham.:) Perfect looking Quiche Lora.

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef March 21, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Do I dare admit that I went to the store today and bought lard to make a pie crust. I’ll only use a bit but I find that it makes a big difference. oh and vodka.. that makes a difference too.

I also bought cream and gruyere for a quiche. I must have been channeling you all day. :) Your quiche looks magnificent!

Dionne Baldwin March 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My mom used to make quiche when she would have a friend over for lunch. :) I have yet to make a quiche on my own. Thanks to you and your beautiful photos I am now craving a quiche too! I never thought to change it up with what I have on hand. :) Thank you for sharing this my dear!

Kim - Liv Life March 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I could eat pie crust every day! I remember when I realized just how much butter was in the crust and then I would continue eating it but then it had guilt feelings as well. Somehow I’d be able to get over it with this quiche! Another of my favorite food. Talk about the ultimate in comfort!!! Beautiful, Lora!

Eliotseats March 21, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Beautiful quiche! I think I can get fresh eggs this Saturday so I see quiche for lunch this weekend!

Kiri W. March 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Oh how I love me a quiche! :) Gorgeous, seductive, delicious. Well done!

Happy When Not Hungry March 22, 2012 at 12:23 am

What a gorgeous quiche! I know what I’m making for brunch this weekend. Yum!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny March 22, 2012 at 12:51 am

Wow what a delicious quiche! I love your recipe! :)

Paula March 22, 2012 at 1:40 am

Bacon and cheese is my favourite quiche,lots of bacon! Your crust is beautiful, the quiche is beautiful. We don’t need an *inside* shot of the quiche. This is one instance where you can tell *a book by it’s cover* :)

Lisa March 22, 2012 at 2:01 am

I consider quiches the ultimate fridge and cupboard cleaners, Anything goes! Real WOMEN love quiche (and sometimes lard and butter in the crust). The edibility factor of your quiche in the photos is SO HUGE. I want a taste, umm..huge slice, desperately!

Baker Street March 22, 2012 at 2:34 am

Quiches always welcome ingredients of your choice and that makes them so much more likable. Ham and cheese is undeniably delicious. YUM.

Sue March 22, 2012 at 3:46 am

I want to make a few different quiche recipes for Easter brunch and this one sounds like a winner, Lora! Time to pin:)

Chic & Gorgeous Treats March 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

I love quiche and this is such a classic combo. Ham and cheese.. delish!! It’s making me want a slice. Perhaps I will make it next week for my family. Take care now!! xoxo

Chic & Gorgeous Treats March 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

Chic & Gorgeous Treats March 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

Chic & Gorgeous Treats March 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

Susan Lindquist March 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Mmmm! I’ve had a yen for quiche of late, too! I have a hubbard squash and some spinach that are waiting for a pastry shell … isn’t it amazing what you can do with an egg filling? Yours is just a beautiful specimen!

Jersey Girl Cooks March 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh, so delcious! Love the ham and provolone.

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 22, 2012 at 9:39 pm

This looks amazing. I must make this on the weekend. I don’t make enough quiche! Thanks for this post!

Ilke March 23, 2012 at 12:51 am

I have ham and gooey cheese and now you made me want it! I made this past weekend goat cheese tart and we said we need to make more cheese tarts. This one is nicely done :)

Lizzy March 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

CONGRATS on the Top 9, Lora! This looks like a perfect quiche…puffed and gorgeous!!! So lovely! Have a fabulous weekend~xoxo

Corina March 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I also get pastry cravings – I think it’s because my husband doesn’t like it so I can’t have it as often as I’d like. This looks gorgeous.

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) March 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

First of all, thanks for the reminder that I wanted to prepare a pastry crust this morning! My baking would have been delayed yet again had I not read your post. :) Last week, everything I wanted to bake required a pastry crust and I only had a couple of hours to prep and bake. Didn’t happen.

Your quiche on the other hand, looks fab. I’ve missed making it at home–it’s been so long. Your post is inspiration to change that and pronto! Have a great weekend!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 23, 2012 at 4:42 pm

What a beautiful quiche, Lora! I would devour this for any meal, anytime. Thanks for sharing. Also, I’m having a great giveaway today with four potential prize winners, so you should enter!

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin March 24, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I haven’t made quiche in so long. But this is reminding me of what I’ve been missing!

Ann March 25, 2012 at 2:42 am

This is terrific and I LOVE quiches! YUM!

Barbara | Creative Culinary March 25, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I would eat this now for breakfast if it were close at hand. I simply love quiche and they are a mainstay of my ‘need something quick and yet still wonderful’ moments!

I cheat too often on pie crusts though but yours sounds not only wonderful but I have ingredients on hand and a whole bunch of cheese and some new prosciutto. It has to happen!

Karriann March 26, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Your quiche looks delicious! I wanna have a slice…
Make that two… Or maybe three ;)

“Happy Cooking”

SweetSugarBelle March 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm

This looks like HEAVEN!

kita April 2, 2012 at 2:53 am

Those large chunks of ham and cheese in the picture make it for me! I was thinking about a frittata soon, but this quiche may have me in the kitchen making some pie crust.

essay generator November 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Wow your Quiche is looking of so much full of yummy cheese….just can’t resist to try it on in my evening party where I am gonna invite my lots of friends…such an awesome dish..!!