Torta Salata-Mixed Vegetable Galette

by cakeduchess on January 9, 2012 · 47 comments

torta-salata-mixed-vegetable-galette-1
If you’ve been following my baking chronicles this past year, it’s a little obvious that I have a great love of pies, tarts, crostatas. Savory tarts are just a wonderful excuse to have a pie for dinner. I love the ease of being able to fill it with whatever you have on hand.

It was time for a another Vintage Recipe Swap that is put together by Christianna at Burgwell General Store. For more info on the fun group, click on Burwell General Store Recipe Swap to get the scoop on our members from around the world!  We are on out second book and Christianna found this gem of a book, The Second Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places. It was published in 1954 and highlights famous restaurants of that era. This month we were to swap ingredients from The Imperial House in Chicago. The recipe was for zabaglione for two.  I was inspired by the eggs and wine in the recipe and created a savory galette.

recipeswap

This is what I had on hand and worked magically for my vegetarian dinner. I had some leftover comte’ cheese and that was diced and thrown into the galette as well. A splash of white wine on the shallots while they were sautéing. I roasted the tomatoes while the other vegetables were cooking. There was real cream in it. I’m not saying it is low-cal or overly healthy. But sometimes it’s ok to splurge a little.  I used once again my galette recipe that is from Baking with Julia. It is truly phenomenal. The texture is slightly crunchy from the cornmeal. I can’t tell you how many savory tarts we’ve had with this recipe. It is a keeper.

I am absolutely looking forward to making this again very soon. I brought the galette to a friend’s house the other night and my friend even had a slice the next day for breakfast.

vegetable-tart-4
vegetable-tart-1

Torta Salata-Mixed Vegetable Galette

made in a 9 inch round removable bottom tart pan

Galette Dough
From Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan
serves about 4 people

1 c.  all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cornmeal (I used plain cornmeal)
7 Tb. cold butter
1/3 c. ice water
3 Tb. sour cream

Filling ingredients:

1 tomato, cut in chunks
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 shallot, diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 cup of whatever mushrooms you like, sliced (I used shitake and button mushrooms)
1/4 cup of sundried tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup white wine
6 oz comte’ cheese, cubed (or whatever cheese you like)
4 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
fresh thyme

Galette Dough

Stir flour and cornmeal together.  Cut in butter with your fingertips until butter is in pea-sized lumps.  Stir ice water and sour cream together in a small bowl, then add to flour mixture.  Mix together with a fork until mixture holds together and form into a ball.  Put ball on a piece of plastic wrap, loosely gather plastic wrap around it and twist, then press dough into a disc. Refrigerate for one hour before rolling out.
Lightly flour a pastry board or clean kitchen counter. Pat the pastry disc into a flat round. Roll the disc between parchment paper or plastic wrap.  It should be slightly larger than the pie plate and 1/8-inch thick. Remove the plastic wrap on top. Make sure your tart pan is next to where you are rolling the dough. Carefully lift the dough up from the bottom wrap and place the dough around the rolling pin, then roll it into your pie plate

Filling

Preheat oven to 350 F. On a foil lined baking sheet, spread the sliced tomato. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on top and roast until juicy (about 15 minutes).
Heat the rest of the olive oil in a medium sauté’ pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, diced potatoes, mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes. Add the white wine. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook until soft. (about 10 minutes). Remove from the heat onto a plate and let the filling cool before assembling it in the galette. Set aside about 1/2 cup of the filling with the roasted tomatoes.

Let’s Bake It!

If you left the oven on from roasting the tomatoes, great! If you did not, preheat your oven to 350 F. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream. Scatter filling ingredients into the galette. Toss on top the comte’ chunks. Pour in the egg mixture. Toss on top the reserved vegetable filling and the roasted tomatoes. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top and a bit of the fresh thyme. Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and the filling is set. Check tart at about 30 minutes. If the tart shell is browning too much, cover the tart with foil paper for the rest of the baking time. Let tart cool before removing from tart pan or slice directly in the tart pan when warm.

Some wonderful zabaglione links from the recipe swap: check out my friend Barb at Creative Culinary’s Cranberry and Croissant Bread Pudding with Champagne Zabablione.

Chef Dennis did a wonderful Zuppa Inglese.

Lana from Bibberche made this gorgeous Iles Flottante .

Kiri W. January 9, 2012 at 1:02 am

Wow, that looks so delicious :) I love a good galette, especially when it’s brushed with eggyolks :) Looks fantastic!

Burwell General Store January 9, 2012 at 1:37 am

Ha! Yeah, I couldn’t go sweet either, on this recipe swap! Always love reading your posts- thanks so much for being a part of the swap, and providing me with my latest dinner idea!

Jill | Dulce Dough January 9, 2012 at 1:44 am

This looks so good Lora! I rarely make savory tarts. It is definitely something I need to do more often. Like you said–it’s a wonderful excuse to have pie for dinner!

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. January 9, 2012 at 1:55 am

looks so good! Hope you had a great weekend!

Toni from Boulder Locavore January 9, 2012 at 1:57 am

I’m completely craving NON sweet food so am finding your recipe swap post another that is making my stomach growl. Love your ingenuity too Lora to deliver this from the first recipe!

Amy January 9, 2012 at 2:15 am

Wow! This looks amazing Lora :)! I haven’t made a savory tart in a while, but I am feeling like I need to after seeing this! It is beautiful with all of the colored veggies. Hope you had a wonderful weekend :)!

Julia January 9, 2012 at 2:20 am

I like your friend, because she even had a slice for breakfast. That’d be me, eatin’ this thing for all meals of the day. It looks delicious!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen January 9, 2012 at 4:03 am

I love the idea of having pie for dinner….or even breakfast! I think this one would be good for either. Looks delicious!!!

Sudha January 9, 2012 at 4:23 am

Ohh wow,this tart looks delicious!I am not too much into ‘sweet’ tarts,so to say, just because the tartness becomes too much for me at times.But this being a savory one will really be delightful!Thanks so much for sharing:)

Barbara | Creative Culinary January 9, 2012 at 4:26 am

Yum. Wanna share?

Shulie January 9, 2012 at 5:59 am

Just when I make something sweet, sort of, breakfast you make something savory. All reversed!! :) Love this vintage recipe club I always had the best intention of doing it but so bad with deadlines. The tortalooks delicious!

Shauna Klippel January 9, 2012 at 6:24 am

The torta looks divine. I love the look and sound of all the food you are creating. I love beets and will try this recipe ASAP. Thanks for sharing.

Shauna

SweetSugarBelle January 9, 2012 at 7:50 am

I want in on yours and Barb’s party! This look amazing!

SweetSugarBelle January 9, 2012 at 7:50 am

looks*

Suzi January 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm

This looks just delicious and I love the mushrooms Of course now this is making me quite hungry. Lovely.

Bunkycooks January 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm

This looks so tasty, Lora! We are trying to do more veggie dishes at night, so I may have to give this recipe a try. Hope your weekend was great!

The Cozy Herbivore January 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Oooh, I love savory tarts. Love the idea of adding cornmeal to the crust for the crunch! This looks amazing– what could go wrong with shallots and wine and mushrooms and cheese?? Delish!

alex January 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm

yum, I love tarts and basically any egg dish, great job on the swap!

Susan Lindquist January 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I love it when I haven’t visited some of my favorite bloggers for a while … and then I happen in a killer recipe! This looks so healthy and tasty … kind of reminds me of a jazzed up Spanich omelet in a crust! Yum!

Rachel January 9, 2012 at 10:38 pm

You need an excuse to have pie for dinner? The recipe swap is certainly a great reason to experiment in that department! Savory recipes are always welcome in a dessert swap, especially vegetarian pies!

Claire January 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm

beautiful post – looks soooo tasty!

Kim Bee January 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I bought myself one of these pans and seriously cannot find it. You just reminded me it’s hidden somewhere in the closet or something. Loving this torta, my hubs would go nuts for this. Great job adapting this month. Love the pic of the sun streaming over it.

Shumaila January 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Absolutely love your savory take on this swap! Its got all the ingredients that I like for dinner. Love the recipe swap because through it I find such great recipes to try!

Claudia January 10, 2012 at 1:45 am

If you’re going to splurge – this is how you do it. Throw away bagged chips and cookies and go for the real thing! And this is it!

Reeni January 10, 2012 at 2:14 am

If a savory galette could be sinful than this would be it! Sounds absolutely delicious Lora, and is stunning to look at! xoxo

monique January 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

Superb idea with the tort, and I can’t wait to try your crust- my mouth is watering at the crunchiness!

Nancy January 10, 2012 at 3:05 am

Love the crust in this – and I happen to have Comte cheese sitting in my fridge so… guess what I will be making this week??

Elin January 10, 2012 at 7:04 am

Lora…I love your version :) I love savory galette. I will be making this for our lunch this weekend :p salivating now :) Well done and thanks for sharing your recipe .

Lana January 10, 2012 at 7:55 am

Yes, yes, yes, to savory interpretations of the sweet recipes (I did not do it this time, because I had a glorious dessert, but I would always opt for savory:)
I make quiches, galettes, and savory tarts very often for dinner (and they are almost always vegetarian:)
I am looking forward to trying your recipe (and Julia’s:) next time – I like to try new approaches and I really trust you:)

Cathy W January 10, 2012 at 8:07 am

Yum! I just bookmarked this…savory tarts are the best! :)

Lisa January 10, 2012 at 8:47 am

OG, this galette is just lovely and delectable. I can only imagine how well the comte cheese blends with all those delicious vegetables, potatoes, cream and eggs. Definitely a ‘splurge’ galette. I want a slice SO bad..at almost 4am! I’ll call it breakfast #1 ;)

PolaM January 10, 2012 at 10:29 am

I love this kind of torte salate. They are just so easy to make ans so good to eat!

Lizzy Do January 10, 2012 at 11:45 am

Mmmmmm….I’d actually eat this over a sweet tart! Gorgeous, Lora!!! xo

Becky January 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Your torta is gorgeous with all the veggies and egg custard. This is what’s for dinner tonight!

Congrats on the top 9 today!

Cake Duchess January 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm

thank you so much for the torta salata love:)I appreciate your Buzz for today’s Top 9 at Foodbuzz:)xo

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes January 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I LOVE savory pies and this one looks simply gorgeous and absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing, Lora! I can’t wait to give this a try.

RavieNomNoms January 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm

This looks awesome!! So good!

Sabrina Modelle January 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Mmm you know how I love a savory tart. Hey, I love an unsavory tart too, but that’s another story. As always, I love your posts. Count me as a fan.

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Oh my! The torta salata looks so good. Almost like a quiche. Yummmmm.. I love that there’s sun dried tomato in the dish. CONGRATS for making Top9 Lora!! A beautiful summer-ish picture too. I liked how the sun shines on your dish. Huggsss,

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Chrissy @ littleyellowkitchen@gmail.com January 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I am such a quiche type of person, but with this being so similar, I could definitely change sides! Love the ingredients!

Alli Shircliff January 12, 2012 at 3:39 am

What a great savory twist on the original recipe…and I love that you put potatoes in it too. I would love to have a slice for breakfast!!

thedustybaker.com January 14, 2012 at 6:34 pm

What a BEAUTIFUL post! The way you write / photo is so relaxing to scroll through. Going to try some cornmeal and dairy-alternative in my dough recipe because it sounds perfect for such a dish. Brava.