Torta agli Agrumi-Citrus Olive Oil Cake

by cakeduchess on January 7, 2012 · 42 comments

torta-agli-agrumi-citrus-olive-oil-cake-3

We are spoiled living in Florida by gorgeous, sunny winters and the most beautiful citrus fruits. We eat tangerines and grapefruits every day. You can always find a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast here in our sunny kitchen.

I buy the most juicy grapefruits at my local produce market for 4 for $1. I can’t get enough of the vibrant flavors and colors. I add the zest to many of my vegetable dishes and even my pasta dishes. And of course, it gets added to many of my cakes. Like this moist and rich Torta agli Agrumi-Citrus Olive Oil Cake.

If you are trying to avoid cholesterol/eggs in your diet…simply sub the eggs with an egg substitute like ener g. I happened to have lemons, oranges, and grapefruits here on hand. You could use whatever citrus fruit you’d like in this cake. The glaze is wonderful even with grapefruit juice.

January is #citruslove month!

Please join in on the #citruslove by linking up any citrus recipe from the month of January 2012.  Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #citruslove event! The twitter hastag is #citruslove :).

Cohosted by:
A Little Bit of Everything, Astig Vegan, Baker Street, BigFatBaker, CafeTerraBlog, Cake Duchess, Cakeballs Cookies and More, Easily Good Eats, Elephant Eats, Food Wanderings, Georgiecakes, Hobby and More, Mike’s Baking, Mis Pensamientos, No One Likes Crumbley Cookies, Oh Cake, Parsley Sage Desserts and Line Drives, Peaches and Donuts, Savoring Every Bite, Simply Reem, Smart Food and Fit, Soni’s Food for Thought, Teaspoon of Spice, That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!, The Art of Cooking Real Food, The More Than Occasional Baker, The Spicy RD, The Wimpy Vegetarian, Vegan Yack Attack, Vegetarian Mamma, You Made That?

torta-agli-agrumi-citrus-olive-oil-cake-2
torta-agli-agrumi-citrus-olive-oil-cake-5

Torta agli Agrumi-Citrus Olive Oil Cake

1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
3 eggs,  room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
zest of 1lemon
zest of 1grapefruit (I used pink grapefruit)
zest of 1small orange
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

the glaze:
3/4 – 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9” inch round baking pan with baking spray.

In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. Add the zest to the flour mixture and mix it into the flour releasing the zest aromas.
Beat the eggs, sugar, on high until eggs thicken (about 5 minutes). On medium-low speed, beat in the vanilla and olive oil scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to incorporate it well.
On medium-low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter a 1/2 cup at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula to incorporate all the flour mixture to the batter.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. (I always check my cake a little early to see if it’s ready as my oven is fast). Set cake aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Prepare the glaze:
After cake has cooled for 10 minutes, flip over onto your serving plate. Add the confectioner’s sugar to a medium sized bowl. Stir in the orange juice until it’s smooth. Spoon the glaze over the completely cooled cake.
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you’re having a beautiful weekend. :)xo

Eliotseats January 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I love baking with olive oil. And, I am jealous of all that fresh citrus you have on hand. What a versatile cake. Love it!

Georgie January 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Laura! I love this cake! Gorgeous photo’s and the recipe is scrumptious, easy and it looks so moist. I love your blog!

Shulie January 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Woot for your Olive Oil Citrus cake and boo to me for not making the deadline. lol OMG love the texture and totally could have a slice for breakfast before our hike!!

Soni January 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Beautiful cake!I’m drooling, seriously!Happy Citruslove :)

Sandra January 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Very flavorful cake, and I love your recipe and mouthwatering photos..Very well done!
Have a wonderful weekend!!!!

Cookin' Canuck January 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

This sounds like such a bright and flavorful cake – perfect for the dreary months of winter. We are loving the sweet pink grapefruits at the supermarket right now and this sounds like another great way to use them.

Lizzy Do January 7, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Oh, your cake looks moist and wonderful, Lora! I’ve never used grapefruit zest in a recipe before…I don’t know why, as I adore grapefruit! Fun to join in on the blog hop with you~

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} January 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm

The cake looks great Lora! Love citrus cake, and olive oil to keep it moist, mmmm.

Kiri W. January 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Wow, this sounds amazing! I love a good olive oil cake, and this one looks perfect. :)

SweetSugarBelle January 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I have never had an olive oil cake. This looks delicious and really piqued my curiosity!

BigFatBaker January 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Gorgeous! I am so jealous of your awesome location :( I lived there for a few years in Coral Springs. I love the olive oil in your cake. I recently discovered how tasty it can be in baked goods. Thanks for sharing! :)

vanillasugarblog January 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm

hey lucky girl!
you won my giveaway for the “sweets on a stick” cookbook!
congrats.
email me your address and let’s get that book out to you.

The Mom Chef January 7, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Oh, that cake looks amazing. I love all things citrus. I’m usually not jealous of those who live so far away from changing seasons that they don’t get to see the gorgeous reds and oranges of fall. In this case, having just spent 99 cents for a grapefruit; I’m WAY jealous.

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more January 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm

OH that looks great, I would love some right now:)

Sudha January 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Lora, the cake looks awesome and olive oil in a cake is so new to me:)Love the concept so much!That’s a lovely blog hop…will try to join in if I can rustle up something citrusy:)

Baking Addict January 8, 2012 at 12:28 am

I love olive oil cakes. I made one with apples and it was amazing. Must try a citrus version. Your pics look great especially with the glaze dripping down… I wish I could have a slice :)

savoringeverybite January 8, 2012 at 1:20 am

I’m here in Florida too and always looking for fresh ideas for all the citrus!! This is a gorgeous cake, love the use of olive oil and the dripping glaze!

Smart Food and Fit January 8, 2012 at 1:39 am

visiting from citrus bloghop but I’m from Michigan! My mother-in-law lives in south florida too and always has fresh citrus on hand. Anyways this cake looks great, I have all ingredients and possibly will make this soon!

Richa January 8, 2012 at 2:27 am

i love love olive oil cakes! and citrusy will be perfect for right now.. the crumb looks gorgeous!

Maris (In Good Taste) January 8, 2012 at 2:33 am

Beautiful cake that sounds light and refreshing

www.you-made-that.com January 8, 2012 at 2:48 am

Yum, love the olive oil citrus cake, I’m jealous about the citrus fruit and living in Florida. My family lives in Ca. and it’s the same there too.

CulinaryCache January 8, 2012 at 3:20 am

This sounds like a fantastic recipe. Great Post! I’m following your blog now.

Ann January 8, 2012 at 3:30 am

Oooh, this looks delicious! I’m with you – there’s something about Florida citrus!

Laura at The Art of Cooking Real Food January 8, 2012 at 3:35 am

What a beautiful, refreshing cake! I’ll bet the glaze would be amazing with grapefruit juice – great suggestion!

Baker Street January 8, 2012 at 4:03 am

Lora, you’re cake is truly beautiful. Lovely recipe too!

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen January 8, 2012 at 5:30 am

What a wonderful olive oil cake! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous post & recipe ! Glad to do citrus-love with you!

Terra January 8, 2012 at 5:39 am

Oh I love love olive oil cakes, your cake looks so beautiful! That is one thing I adored about living in Tucson, you always had gorgeous sunlight! Love the pictues:-) Hugs,Terra

Lisa January 8, 2012 at 6:27 am

The first time I made an olive oil cake, well, orange olive oil cupcakes, I was pleasantly surprised at how incredibly moist they were, without the olive oil ‘olivey’ taste. I love the addition of pink grapefruit zest with the lemon and orange, as you usually see lime. I’ve got a new, growing column of ‘Lora’ bookmarks. Definitely making this!

decocinasytacones January 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

Lora wonderful cake!, I love anything with lemon.
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

Sylvia@peaches and donuts January 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

I love using olive oil in baking but i usually use light ones. Perhaps I should try using extra virgin too!
Great refreshing cake you have here!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I just love how you can see the sunlight coming through in your cake photos, how beautiful!

So jealous of your great grapefruit prices. I also enjoy them in season.

Curt January 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm

What a great idea adding the zest of a grapefruit to different foods. I’ll have to try that with pasta.

Paula January 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You are sooo lucky to have all that wonderful citrus so readily available to you and at such great prices. I think it’s neat that you added grapefruit zest to this cake…something I never would have thought to do for sure. Looks delicious…my type of breakfast food ;)

Asmita January 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

What a beautiful cake, so moist and flavorful!

Cake January 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm

This cake looks divine! Definitely brings me back to my days living in Italy. Great #citruslove addition!

Junia January 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm

i love how simple and light this cake is! i used to make a glaze with lemon juice, lemon zest and confectioner’s sugar for my lemon poppy seed cake long ago! this is totally bookmarked. :) sending some #citruslove to you!

The Wimpy Vegetarian January 9, 2012 at 2:03 am

I love olive oil cakes – they’re so moist!! And your photos are just beautiful. Bookmarked this one, and sending you some #citruslove!!

Monet January 11, 2012 at 3:45 am

Everytime I eat a grapefruit…I think of you. You were so kind to send them to me and my family last year. But after knowing you, I’m not surprised. You are such a giving and generous person, and it is expressed in your writing and your creations. Thank you for sharing, my sweet friend!

Sue January 11, 2012 at 6:41 am

This cake sounds amazing, Lora, though it made me pucker a little bit reading the ingredients:) YUMMO!

Darrell January 12, 2012 at 6:18 am

Beautiful and simple cake!!! Love these styles :) I wouldn’t mind this being my breakfast hehe.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 12, 2012 at 8:20 pm

This cake looks lovely… I love baking with olive oil. Yum!

Louisa March 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.