Guava Jam Coffee Cake

by cakeduchess on January 27, 2012 · 39 comments

guava-jam-coffee-cake-3

The other day I came across some gorgeous and very ripe guavas. The other day was really more like a month ago. My daughter enjoys reminding me how I often refer to any thing that happened in the not so distant past as, “the other day”.

She then proceeds to remind me how it actually was “x” amount of days or weeks or even months ago. It diminishes the freshness of my story and I feel like a dork for her outing me in front of my friends.

So bear with me here while I finish my story. It really wasn’t the other day but it sure seems like not too long ago at my favorite little fruit stand, there was a package of guavas for $1. Yessireee…a whole dollar. I immediately knew I would make a little jam. I never made guava jam and let me tell you, it’s very sticky and CRAZY good.

guava-jam-coffee-cake-2

Living with Cuban bakery shops on every corner, I get to sometimes indulge in guava pastries. My mom kept telling me, “Make some guava pastries! That is the perfect idea for the jam.” But you see, there wasn’t that much in my little batch.
I stumbled on this Martha Stewart Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake and had been dreaming of it for days. An important step in the recipe requires boiling and draining the Meyer lemon slices. There’s also a step of lining them on parchment paper. My baking a cake on the fly wasn’t going to work with this recipe. I also recently had come across Meagan from Scarletta Bakes fantastic Prickly Pear Coffee Cake and I envisioned my homemade guava jam swirled in a coffee bake batter. I immediately got to baking and the result was pretty darn good.

guava-jam
guava-jam-coffee-cake-5

It’s pretty easy to come across guava jams and pastes over here. I suggest subbing strawberry jam if getting guava jam isn’t an option for you. You could also use any jam that makes you happy.:) And I guarantee this cake will make you happy. I tested a slice right before getting the kids from school. LOVED it. The kids had a slice as a snack when they got home. Then the neighbors came by for a  visit and Luca cut and served a slice for them all by himself (sliced it with a  butter knife and kept bringing out more as soon as they finished their slice). They loved it and it looks like I’ll be searching for more guavas next week to make another one of these yummy cakes.
Guava Jam Coffee Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
4 ounces (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon zest (from 4 to 5 lemons) (any fruit zest will work fine)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk (I made it with almond milk mixed with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar)
1 cup guava jam (or whichever jam you prefer)

Directions:

Make the streusel: Mix together flour, brown sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter into the flour mixture until small to medium clumps form. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 3 days).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest with a mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, add eggs, 1 at a time, then the vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk.
Spoon the batter evenly into cake pan. Spoon the jam in a few sections over the batter.

With a butter knife, swirl the jam around gently.  DSCN9847
Sprinkle the chilled streusel evenly over the batter.

Bake until cake is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack set over a baking sheet, and let cool in pan for 15 minutes.
Happy baking and thanks for stopping by!:)

A Thought For Food January 27, 2012 at 4:04 am

Fascinating… you know, I’m not a huge guava person, but this I’d be up for trying

KonstantKraver January 27, 2012 at 5:45 am

I would never have thought to use ripe guavas in a cake…nice work :)

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen January 27, 2012 at 6:00 am

Mmm, I need this with my afternoon Starbucks. Love it!

raquel@erecipe January 27, 2012 at 6:16 am

wow I think I could also use other kind of jam =)

Ann January 27, 2012 at 6:27 am

Wow – this sounds crazy good! This is really delicious! As always, your photos are beautiful!

Maureen January 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I have no guava jam but I’m definitely making this coffee cake. Looks delicious.

ophelia1983 January 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm

i like this coffe cake!

Kiri W. January 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I loved the prickly pear cake, and this looks fantastic, as well. Love the color of your guava jam, I bet I would adore a slice of this :)

Megan's Cookin' January 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Love the picture of the jam swirled in. Bet this was heavenly!

Shulie January 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Love this Miss Lora. I never cooked with guavas, I always gave it raw with a sprinkle of salt. Oh and in Israel we got guava yogurt, now is the US too. Oh and I forgot guava drinks but never cooked or baked with it. I love the parallel to prickly pear, it makes sense!! You know I would love it along my tea exactly at 4pm today! :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’ve never used guava in baking before but this looks wonderful!

Jill | Dulce Dough January 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm

This sounds like such a wonderful cake, Lora! What a great base recipe to adapt as desired with different kinds of jams. But that guava jam sounds so yummy!

Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style January 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Oh my… I grew up making guava jam with my grandmother every summer. This cake is reminding me of these precious days. Beautiful recipe and photos! I want a slice :)

Cher January 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Coffee cake isn’t usually my thing, but the addition of the guava jam definitely makes this one to try. Love it!

Kristina January 27, 2012 at 4:43 pm

guavas are one of my favorites, reminding me of my summers in Hawaii growing up. I always get the guava pastry when I can!

I am bookmarking this to try… sounds perfect!

Julia January 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I loooooove guava!!!! I love flying to hawaii b/c they give you POG (passion orange guava) juice, mmmm, I could live on that stuff.

Samantha @ Ferraro Kitchen January 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I LOVE guava!! I used to live in hawaii and sometimes my mom still sends me guavas and lilikoi! Its so hard to find it in Cali though…guava jam, sometimes..but no guavas! Now I need mom to send me a box of fruit so I can make this. I cant believe you found it for $1! thats awesome!

Krissy's Creations January 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Guava is REALLY good for you! So excited to see this delicious recipe. Gotta make it :)

Sandra January 28, 2012 at 12:53 am

I am amazed..this jam sound and look incredible..and whole $ wow..talk about bargain! Cake is also very very delicious looking..I can imagine the taste..yummy! Well done sweetie!

Reeni January 28, 2012 at 2:05 am

Goya makes a guava jam that we love – that’s why I know yours must be insanely good! Homemade is always better. Pairing it with this coffee cake is downright dreamy Lora! xoxo

Amalia January 28, 2012 at 2:43 am

Woah, this looks crazy good! You’re a genius for making guava jam, it looks awesome! The color is gorgeous and the end cake result looks super moist and delicious, perfect :)

Maris (In GoodTaste) January 28, 2012 at 10:52 am

The photo alone has made me yearn for this coffee cake and then when I started reading, I am hooked!

Karriann January 28, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Yummy I’d love some please! :)

“Happy Cooking”

Paula January 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I honestly would not know a guava if it rolled off the fruit cart and landed at my feet! We don’t see these in regularly in my grocery store. I wish we did, that coffe cake looks wonderful.

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) January 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

First I have to comment that your conversation with your daughter sounds just like those I have with my husband. I take your daughter’s role and my husband, yours. He describes everything as happening “the other day”. :)

I’m so jealous that you found fresh guavas. The only time I ever get to enjoy them is in the form of store-bought guava juice during vacation. I would love to get my hands on fresh ones and yes, the first thing I would love to try is to make jam out of them. Love that you combined it with coffee cake.

Mari January 29, 2012 at 4:33 am

I am a guava fan myself. I am lucky to have a guava tree in front of my house and so I make this jam always, but I have never though of making a coffee cake with it. I am sure it will become a favorite at home.

Have a great weekend :)

Terra January 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Look how moist and delicious that beautiful cake looks!! Love the idea of guava jam in my coffee cake, guava is pretty fantastic! Beautiful! Hugs, Terra

Lizzy January 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Oh, your coffee cake looks so moist and delicious! I’m not sure if I like guavas or not, but I’d be happy to find out via this beautiful gem….mmmmmmm.

Alaiyo Kiasi January 30, 2012 at 12:32 am

What an amazing idea and, like Lizzy says, it look moist and delicious. Isn’t it fun to come across an ingredient and then dream of ways to use it in a recipe? Kudos!

Baking Serendipity January 30, 2012 at 4:11 am

I love the picture with the jam swirls :) This looks delicious! I’ve somehow never tried guava jam before. I think I need it on toast and then in this coffee cake this week!

Maggie January 30, 2012 at 4:42 am

Wow. Guava jam?? I am truly jealous. I love jam sooo much and guava jam sounds like a true delicacy. And mixed in with coffee cake? Heavenly. Beautiful photos too!

Jamie January 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm

You know that this is the kind of cake we love having around the house and what JP begs for me to make for breakfast! You tease me so! And you know, I don’t think I’ve ever tasted guava!

Nancy January 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I have never cooked with guavas and this sounds like the best way to become introduced!! Can’t wait to try it!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist January 30, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Oh this looks absolutely delicious!!

livingthesweetlifeblog January 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Delightful … this is such a lovely coffee cake, perfect for any afternoon tea :)

Culinary Collage January 31, 2012 at 1:14 am

This looks so moist and really tasty…..yum!

Yuri - Chef Pandita January 31, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I love guavas! What a nice looking cake :D xoxo

Michelle at www.sweetandsimple.com February 1, 2012 at 3:50 am

Guava and coffee cake? What a great combo… match made in heaven.

Xean February 1, 2012 at 10:01 am

wow! this is simply amazing dear, and I agree with michelle that it’s a great combo. I think it would be great also to be paired with the best coffee = perfect day!