Vegan Chocolate Cake

by cakeduchess on December 12, 2011 · 43 comments

vegan-chocolate-cake-6
The holiday season can be stressful for many of us. The month of December goes by in a flash. You maybe haven’t even started shopping. You maybe haven’t even started your lists!

You talk to friends that have their holiday cards printed, addressed, stamped and ready to go. Their lists have long been written. They’ve already wrapped and put presents under their trees. You don’t have a tree put up yet.  It’s been two years since you’ve done a family holiday card.

Feelings of inadequacies start to creep up and you feel a little like a holiday failure. There’s only one solution to this holiday conundrum.

You bake an awesome chocolate cake and nothing else matters.

I did go by Michael’s to get supplies for my daughter’s class project. I found these adorable holiday stencils from Martha Stewart on sale for less than $5.
vegan-chocolate-cake-2
vegan-chocolate-cake-3
vegan-chocolate-cake-4
Maybe you need a break from all the Christmas cookie baking marathons. Maybe you are just having a massive chocolate craving like I was. You don’t even need a reason. Just make this chocolate cake and take a bite. It’s seriously wonderful. :)

Vegan Chocolate Cake
slightly adapted from The Post Punk Kitchen

1/4 dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup hot brewed coffee (I used espresso)
1 cup almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular (or a mix of both)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line the bottom of an 8 inch cake pan and spray with baking spray.
Put the chocolate chips in a medium bowl with hot coffee. Let it stand, stirring occasionally until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
Whisk together the almond milk (or whatever milk you chose) and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle (yes, you’re making a vegan “buttermilk”). Add the sugar, oil, vanilla and mix well.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain. If you have a some tiny lumps in the batter, not a huge problem. DSCN9897
Pour in the batter and bake for 32 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.

When cake is cooled, sift on your confectioner’s sugar or whichever glaze you prefer. Dig in!

vegan-chocolate-cake-7
How are your holiday preparations going? Are you an organized list maker or do you lose your lists like I do once you finally get to making them?;)

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen December 12, 2011 at 4:09 am

Wow! I am not vegan but my sis is and I immediately sent the link to this to her! Looks amazing!!!

C&C Cakery December 12, 2011 at 4:38 am

Yay vegan! Love the addition of the coffee – it always tends to add another dimension to the flavour. Can’t wait to try this recipe out!

C&C Cakery December 12, 2011 at 4:38 am

C&C Cakery December 12, 2011 at 4:38 am

C&C Cakery December 12, 2011 at 4:38 am

RawFoodhaven December 12, 2011 at 5:06 am

I always welcome chocolate….

A vegan chocolate cake would be a great help to relax after a day of shopping…

Priyanka December 12, 2011 at 10:57 am

Wow…thats just an awesome cake…loved it

Anh December 12, 2011 at 11:57 am

I am saving the recipe! it is vegan, but looks so moist and yummy!

A Spoonful of Yumm December 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

love the new header lora !! the designs on the cake are so pretty….the cake looks moist & yummm

Chic & Gorgeous Treats December 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hi Lora! I definitely have not started one bit of my Christmas preparation. Guilty I know.. I wonder will reading up all of my fav. foodie friends post count? To be honest, I have not tried vegan chocolate cake before. I must really give it a go. Who says chocolate cake is bad for us? Not when it’s vegan.. it’s suppose to be a healthier option right [forgive me, if I sounded ignorant here] I will definitely bookmark this. Happy Christmas!! Huggss, Jo

Chic & Gorgeous Treats December 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Chic & Gorgeous Treats December 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Chic & Gorgeous Treats December 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family December 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

What a gorgeous cake, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that it is vegan :)
Happy Monday!

Kiri W. December 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Mmm, looks perfectly moist and rich :) I’ve had amazing vegan chocolate dishes, so I am sure your cake was perfect! I love the powdered sugar snow flakes, too :)

The Mom Chef December 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Vegan buttermilk. Whoda thunk it. It worked out beautifully though. I’m jealous that your found those stencils at that price! That was a big score for you.

I’ve decorated and baked. There are two crocheted wool scarves sitting on my desk that’ll be given to family members. I still need to make some smoked salt for my brother. A few other home made gifts and I’ll be done with the exception of buying Dudette’s gift. Now that we’re all ‘older,’ the buying thing is done and we just enjoy each other. :)

Sandra December 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Don’t mind me taking a huge bite..oh Lora you did incredible job!!! Yummy!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) December 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I’m guilty of all of the above! I have so much more to do before Christmas so it’s going to be a mad blitz a few days before–just like every year. I have also been craving chocolate like crazy. I made one this weekend and guess what, I’ve had a few bites with my morning tea. It was just the ticket and I bet yours would be, too. I love, love the deep chocolate flavor espresso lends to choc. cakes. Yours is a winner.

Claudia December 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

This is picture-perfect not only for vegans – but for those with food allergies and so must eat like a vegan. I have some nieces and nephews who feel so deprived around the Holidays – and always try to make a special cake for them. Keeping this and sending the recipe around. Love the stencil work – just makes me smile.

Paula December 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’m not a vegan but I’ll happily have a slice of this. I love how you decorated it with the icing sugar….so very pretty.

Monet December 13, 2011 at 12:13 am

Baking can make the stressful season seem enjoyable. And your cake? Divine. What a fabulous holiday sweet! Don’t you know I should be reading this AFTER dinner. Now all I want is dessert. I love how you decorated with powdered sugar too. Thank you for sharing your recipe with me. I hope you have a wonderful week!

Reeni December 13, 2011 at 2:35 am

I need a bite right now! Really I need an entire piece and maybe seconds. It looks so rich and sinful! I love your new header! So pretty. xoxo

Georgie December 13, 2011 at 3:22 am

Gorgeous and incredibly yummy looking. WOW!

Lyn @LovelyPantry December 13, 2011 at 4:58 am

I’m not a vegan but I do love vegan recipes and this is definitely one I would try and recommend. The presentation is beautiful! I wouldn’t mind a slice of that right now actually! :-)

Becky December 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Lora-Your cake is gorgeous, and vegan, too. I’ll be making this one for Christmas Eve and off to Michael’s to get the stencils, with my list;)

Matt @ FaveDiets December 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This looks delicious! I would love if you shared this in my holiday recipes Blog Hop. Enter it for a chance at a Wilton Pre-Baked Gingerbread Tree Kit! http://bit.ly/vbyp71

Elina (Healthy and Sane) December 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Love it! :)

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow December 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Yum! looks delicious!

BigBearswife December 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Congratulations on being on the foodbuzz top 9! Love the stencil on the cake!

Priscilla - She's Cookin' December 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Chocolate makes everything better :) Congrats on the Top 9, Lora!

Curt December 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm

What a festive and artsy decoration! They don’t call you the duchess for nothing I guess! :)

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes December 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Lora, I love, love, LOVE this post and recipe.

I totally suffer from Holiday Inadequacy Syndrome so your words are welcome. As is your cake!!

Just lovely and so NEAT looking. I can’t wait to give it a try.

Thanks so much and have a great day!!!

Yuri - Chef Pandita December 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Gorgeous cake, Lora! Happy holidays :)

Lulu's Sweet Secrets December 13, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Lovely cake and post! Congrats on Top 9!

Christy December 14, 2011 at 4:39 am

Don’t worry about that, I’m taking it slow and steady too :-) Who says you are a failure when you have baked such a beautiful cake like this? I am definitely impressed!:D

Amalia December 14, 2011 at 5:58 am

This cake looks so moist and delicious! I made vegan cupcakes and they were one of the best I’ve had, so I’m guessing this cake is just as good, if not even better :) I love the powdered sugar design!

Valerie December 14, 2011 at 8:29 am

I love the decoration on top! Looks really nice, and about the chocolate cake, it’s just perfect…

Sanjeeta kk December 14, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Wow..this is my kindda cake..eggfree and so decadent!Lovely color and perfect texture, Lora.

Mari @ Mari's Cakes December 14, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Looks like a great vegan cake! I love it’s rich color and the snowflakes decor.

Hugs

Jaime "The Tomato Snob" December 15, 2011 at 3:11 am

Bravo! What an excellent way to decorate a holiday cake. I’m not vegan but I would definitely try out this recipe. Nice one!

Baking Serendipity December 15, 2011 at 3:23 am

I love the stenciled snowflakes! And coffee in chocolate cake sounds perfect to me :)

Grubarazzi December 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm

thank you for sharing this recipe. I have a vegan coming for dinner on xmas and I wanted to find a recipe he would LOVE. I think this is it! yay!

Jen @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 7, 2012 at 2:33 am

This cake will be perfect for the next work birthday!! My firend is a vegan and I would love to make her your cake!! Thank you for sharing it with me!! Buzzing ya!!