Matafan-Fluffy Mashed Potato Pancakes

by cakeduchess on December 2, 2011 · 27 comments

matafan-1

How could it be that I had some mashed potatoes conveniently leftover to make these delectable Matafan? I have a thing for mashed potatoes. I would happily eat them as a meal. I always get seconds and thirds of stuffing and mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.

I try not to make them too often as they are difficult to resist. Having rekindled my craving for fluffy mashed potatoes last week, I had to make more earlier this week with our meal. There was about 2 cups leftover and I couldn’t resist trying Dorie’s Matafan recipe.  Whipped egg whites makes them light as a feather and I will be making mashed potatoes again very soon just so I can have more Matafan.
They are a staple in France in Pays de Savoie. They are a cross between a pancake and blini and are served as a side dish, starter, or snack. In Savoyard, the word Matafan means to calm hunger. Let me tell you, they calmed my hunger when I had this plate of them the other day for lunch. They paired perfectly with my salad of mixed organic greens and dried cranberries.  I couldn’t wait for the kids to come home for school and make this for them as an afterschool snack.

matafan-2
matafan-4
matafan-5
The French Fridays with Dorie group does not share recipes. Come join the fun and see what everyone else is doing in the group.

claire December 2, 2011 at 7:49 am

i have been a terrible blogger buddy- but i am back again with merry mondays! hope you will join and hope all is well with you!

Foodiva December 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

I have just made these today for FFWD and they were delicious! I have a weakness for mashed potatoes, too…isn’t that terrible? No, that’s not terrible at all really, lol. :)

Angie's Recipes December 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

Those pancakes look really fluffy and soft. A perfect lunch with some salad.

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite December 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

These were so good, weren’t they? I ate them all by themselves, straight out of the pan!

Cher December 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

These were very good – we were eating them straight up and with several different toppings.

The Mom Chef December 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Wow, oh wow. I actually have leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge right now too. I don’t do the Dorie thing but I do have the cookbook on the shelf. Those look so gorgeous I think I’m going to have to pull it out and make me some pancakes.

Adriana December 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Your batter looks perfectly light! The crisped up edges are my favorite. ;-)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist December 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I love these!!!! I have got to make them for my husband.

PS. I love your new site look!

DessertByCandy December 2, 2011 at 7:49 pm

It was delightful to wash the transformation of the batter once we fold in the egg whites. It turned so airy! Glad you enjoyed this recipe. So much more convenient when you already have mashed potatoes to start with.

amanda @ fake ginger December 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Oh yum, I bet they were delicious with bites of salad mixed in! Looks great!

Frankly Entertaining December 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I might try this again when I have mashed potatoes in the fridge, but these just seemed too bland for the amount of time put in. Maybe if I some other flavors.

Ei December 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I was wondering how they’d work with pre-made mashed potatoes. I am very pleased to hear that they came out well, because I’m much more inclined to make them again if I don’t have to go through the whole baking/mashing through a strainer ordeal.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts December 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Wow – now that is a transformation of leftovers! I am not a big fan of mashed potatoes, but I think I would love these! Great job!

Yuri - Chef Pandita December 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Seeing all your photos and posts has left me hungry for Matafan. I miss FFWD, wish I had the time to join again. Meanwhile I’ll read your reviews and admire your photos :)

Elin December 3, 2011 at 12:47 am

Lora…your Matafan fluffy mashed potatoes looks good with the organic salad! I gave tis a miss but looking at yours makes me hungry :)

Lizzy December 3, 2011 at 1:02 am

I’m so glad you’re back with us, Lora! Your pancakes look perfect…they’re making me want some more :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Lizzy December 3, 2011 at 1:03 am

PS…LOVE your new header!!!

Pachecopatty December 3, 2011 at 1:56 am

Wow, yum, can’t wait to make these pancakes! I love your beautiful header too;-)

Kim Bee December 3, 2011 at 5:09 am

Love the new header, super pretty. These pancakes sure look delicious. I love the picture of the two bowls side by side. Have a wonderful weekend.

Sis. Boom. December 3, 2011 at 6:58 am

I will now always make sure that I make too much mashed potatoes any time I make them. These look just wonderful! Great job!

Belle (tinkeringinthekitchen) December 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm

what a delicious sounding (and looking!) recipe! Im going to grab a coffee and read more, so glad i found your blog :) Belle

Paula December 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I’d make extra mashed potatoes too just to have some to make these matafans. Your salad looks pretty tempting too!

Robin December 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm

These are definitely a good reason to make extra mashed potatoes!

tastymayhem December 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Starting with already mashed potatoes would certainly make this easier – love your shortcut and it looks like they turned out great.

Jamie December 4, 2011 at 9:22 am

Wow I have never heard of these but I want! Yes this does make the best lunch just with a salad! And why not put the dried cranberries in the pancakes?

Samantha December 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm

These look delicious!! I’ll never look at mashed potatoes the same!

Christy December 10, 2011 at 1:40 am

Yum! Lucky you to have the mashed potatoes on hand! Great reason to make a little extra mashed potatoes.