Kokosbollar-Chocolate Truffles

by cakeduchess on December 5, 2011 · 41 comments

kokosbollar-chocolate- truffles-1

I know I mentioned in a recent post that I’m a little excited about baking Christmas cookies. I’m excited about baking Christmas breads and cakes, too! I have been scouring through my old recipes and magazines. There are some recipes I’ve been dreaming of making for years.

This is an example of one of those recipes. I found it in Saveur Issue 125 (2009). They had a whole section on Swedish Christmas sweets. I stared lovingly at each and every recipe and never made one of them. Until now! I had every ingredient in my cabinets and there was no excuse to not finally make these little beauties.
It has crushed oats, cocoa powder, melted dark chocolate, espresso, and then is rolled in coconut. Need I say more?!

My dad came over this weekend and yes, he was looking for more apple pie. I have to have one in the freezer ready for him to go. His eyes lit up when I pulled these out of the refrigerator. He said his mom in Sicily used to make these. I noticed his eyes get a little misty and he said, “Your nonna. Ah! Your nonna was such an amazing baker.”

kokosbollar-6

It was time for a another Vintage Recipe Swap that is put together by Christianna at Burgwell General Store. We are on out second book and Christianna found this gem of a book, The Second Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places. It was published in 1954 and highlights famous restaurants of that era. This month we were to swap ingredients from the Toll House Cookies chocolate chip recipe. I went a little off the traditional cookie idea and was inspired to make these fabulous little truffles.

bookandrecipe

kokosbollar-2
kokosbollar-3
The shredded coconut reminds me of pretty snow flakes. I sampled a few before this step. ;)
kokosbollar-4

kokosbollar-5
These Kokosbollar are not too sweet. There is the subtle crunch from the crushed oats and the delicate flavor of the shredded coconut. I think next time for the adults, I will add a little run.

Kokosbollar-Chocolate Truffles
source: Saveur Issue 125

16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
6 tbsp. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
2 tbsp. brewed espresso or dark coffee,  at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened finely shredded dried coconut

Combine the butter, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and use a handheld mixer set to medium speed to beat the mixture until pale and fluffy, 1–2 minutes. Add the chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, and vanilla and continue beating until combined, about 1 minute more.

Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped, about 5 pulses. Add the oats to the chocolate–butter mixture and mix until combined; refrigerate until chilled, 1 hour.

Divide the chilled chocolate mixture into 36 portions using a tablespoon-size measuring spoon; roll each portion into a 1″ ball. Place coconut in a shallow dish and roll each ball thoroughly in coconut; transfer balls to a baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow December 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Yum! Those looks so delicious!

Paula December 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oh the rum added to these would be wonderful, or Amaretto, or Baileys or….LOL. Honestly, the original recipe sounds wonderful and they look delicious. How nice that you had these in the fridge for your Dad when he came to visit and then to find out that his Mom used to make them.

Kiri W. December 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

ooooh, kokosbollar! I am your drooling slave!

Jennifurla December 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm

These look fabulous, my eyes would light up to if someone made them.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. December 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm

love these!

knitstamatic December 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Oh they look phenomenal!

Boulder Locavore December 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

These are nothing less than charming and magical Lora! They look so completely perfect and the flavors I’m sure are something difficult to resist! Love your new header too; also magical and fabulous like you!

Sabrina Modelle December 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm

These look so lovely. A perfect Christmas treat. My husband is of Swedish descent, and I think I might have to attempt these. Even though I HATE making truffles- but he really loves eating them, and he loves anything Swedish. So… thanks for the inspiration.
X
Sabrina

thesmartcookiecook.com December 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm

These look so pretty and delicious! Perfect for the holidays.

Chef Dennis December 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

isn’t it great the emotions that come up especially where food is concerned when our Grandmothers and mothers come into play. what a wonderful extra special treat those are, and I’m sure your father appreciated them more than the pie!
Thanks for a wonderful entry in our swap!

Rachel December 5, 2011 at 7:22 pm

It is indeed time to dig out those sweet recipes you’ve always wanted to make! These cookies sound perfect! I love all the ingredients and I’m not sure I could stop myself from popping one little ball after another in my mouth!
I’m glad these were an acceptable substitute for apple pie for your dad. You wouldn’t want him to get bored of his favorite pie!

mellissina2 December 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Szuper finom lehet!!!Szép karácsonyi desszert!!:):)

Barbara | Creative Culinary December 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Oh my gosh I love these. I don’t pull this out of my adjective hat too often so it keeps the ‘specialness’ for which it is meant but it’s coming to you my friend.

Yummalummadingdong. Yep. These are that. :)

rosemarried December 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Your truffles look so lovely and festive! Great for the holidays, and for the recipe swap.

Alli December 5, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Holy moly…espresso, chocolate and coconut? I am sold!

Manu December 6, 2011 at 12:48 am

These are fantastic truffles!!!
How cool! I did not know your nonna was Sicilian! :-)

Monet December 6, 2011 at 3:22 am

I think I’m making these for my birthday party. We’re having a cookie-exchange :-) Thank you for sharing yet another soul-satisfying recipe. I’m just about to pull out a loaf of banana bread and sit down to a cup of tea. I hope you are having a lovely evening too!

Baking Serendipity December 6, 2011 at 3:45 am

I’m fairly certain that the only way to make these better would be to add rum :) My holiday baking list is long already…but I’m ready to add these too it!

Cake Duchess December 6, 2011 at 4:07 am

ciao Manu:)anche mio babbo e’ della Sicilia;) xx

Jamie December 6, 2011 at 4:29 am

These looks so great – I just pinned them!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. December 6, 2011 at 4:55 am

These truffles are just so pretty and I bet they are so yummy too!

KonstantKraver December 6, 2011 at 7:51 am

Yum! I wish someone would make these for me as well :)

Lana December 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

Coconut and chocolate together are one of the best combinations! I would also be tempted to add some rum – it just makes holiday sweets that much more enjoyable:)
Your truffles look just perfect and oatmeal is an interesting addition.
Have fun with your family:)

Renata December 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I just love all your enthusiasm with all the Christmas baking! These chocolate truffles are just calling my name!

Tickled Red December 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Oh these look fantastic! My step mom is a coconut “nut” so i will be making these for her this weekend :D

A Thought For Food December 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Between you and Barb, I’m just so hungry looking at these desserts!

Nancy December 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I always thought I was pretty savvy when it came to holiday sweets… and this post just proves how very wrong I was! Never heard of these and now wonder where they have been all my life!!

Lisa December 6, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I don’t know which I want more – these, or the Ginger Sugar cookies. I’m so glad you live at the opposite end of the coast – right now, and I mean that in the vey best way. You’d never get rid of me!

Priscilla - She's Cookin' December 7, 2011 at 12:24 am

I love your creative take on the traditional Toll House cookie! You had me at coconut and I never thought of coconut resembling snowflakes – but they do :)

Camilla ~ Caffay Way December 7, 2011 at 5:47 am

Oh my goodness my heart skipped a beat when I saw the title of your post – I grew up making and eating these! Its the perfect “no-cook” treat for little kids to make, and I thing this was one of the firts thing I ever made with my grandma back in Sweden. Absolutely lovely!

Camilla ~ Caffay Way December 7, 2011 at 5:47 am

Camilla ~ Caffay Way December 7, 2011 at 5:47 am

Camilla ~ Caffay Way December 7, 2011 at 5:47 am

Angie's Recipes December 7, 2011 at 5:52 am

Who doesn’t love truffles! Those coconut balls look amazing!

Sandra December 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Mission accomplished, I’ve veen tantalized!

The Cozy Herbivore December 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

These are so beautiful! What a great idea– they would make lovely homemade Christmas presents!

Jamie December 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Mmm these sound and look scrumptious, Lora. Every time I visit your blog (and skype with you) I do so wish I lived back in Florida. But only for you and your baking! These are so pretty and will be so pretty on a holiday table or as a gift!

Lizzy December 8, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Mmmmmmm…what marvelous truffles! I think the oats make these a health food, right???? xo

Kim Bee December 8, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Omg I was jumping up and down when I saw this. Super yummy. And coconut is my fave. Perfection!

Pauline December 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm

What a way to eat your oats! Yes I am tempted.

Delishhh December 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Being a swede i make this all the time. This is a huge kids dessert since it is all no bake!