Dark Chocolate Peppermint Fudge

by cakeduchess on December 15, 2011 · 27 comments

.peppermint-fudge-2

Do you ever decide at the last minute that you want to go to a party? Or do you maybe forget you said you would go to a party and then need to bring something delicious because it’s a potluck kind of a party.

That didn’t happen to me last week. I knew I was going to a party. I just didn’t have enough hours in the day to make what I really wanted to make to bring and impress some friends from school. So with the limited amount of time I had (1 hour), I made this fudge, let it chill, sliced it, and off I went to the party.

Didn’t break a sweat. Didn’t mess up my entire kitchen. Maybe impressed some adults. Teenagers were impressed and ate the whole thing. Adults maybe would’ve been impressed had they had the opportunity to sample just one morsel of this minty, fudgy, yumminess.

peppermint-fudge-4

How’s it going over there? Are you remembering to take deep breaths and enjoy the moments. Take a deep breath and smell this delicious peppermint. :)

Peppermint oil has a number of therapeutic properties. It’s known to enhance moods, boost energy, sharpens focus, and alleviates bad breath. It might be safe to say that this fudge is good for you.

And I’m not going to panic that Christmas is less than 10 days away. I already did that a little bit in my last post. Nope. Not even going to get a little freaked out. I will just go whip up another batch of this fudge just for me.

peppermint-fudge-3
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
Makes 25 squares

2 cups dark chocolate chocolate chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 large candy canes, crushed (I crushed like 8 smaller ones)

Line a 8 or 9 inch square baking dish with parchment paper leaving about 2 inches around the sides of pan hanging out.

Place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. Cook until chocolate melts, stirring often until smooth. Remove the chocolate from the heat. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk, salt, and the peppermint extract. Spread evenly into prepared pan.

Sprinkle generously over the fudge the crushed candy canes. Pop a few pieces in your mouth for fresh holiday breath.
Refrigerate fudge for 2 hours or until firm. Remove from pan by lifting edges of wax paper. Carefully slice into squares.
dark-chocolate-peppermint-fudge-4
simply divine at room temperature. Enjoy!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar December 15, 2011 at 4:31 am

That fudge looks delicious. I make fudge of some sort or another (or 10 or so different ones if I’m being honest lol) and this looks like it would be a good addition to the list. Yum! And Buzzed!

Kim - Liv Life December 15, 2011 at 5:13 am

Divine!! I’m with you on the not enough hours in the day!

Angie's Recipes December 15, 2011 at 5:26 am

Who doesn’t love fudge! Festive peppermint chunks look so pretty on them.

Smith Bites December 15, 2011 at 5:55 am

I literally laughed out loud – Miss, ‘I’m going to make another batch just for me!’ you go honey!! Merry Christmas Lora – (((hugs)))

Peggy December 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

Mmmm…. I am totally loving all things peppermint right now! And this might be tops on the list – looks fabulous =)

Claudia December 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Sweet! Adding this to my list. While calmly breathing.

Kiri W. December 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Wow, that looks so dark and rich and mmmm! I don’t like mint very much, but I could top this with anything else. Looks wonderful!

Lo-mo December 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Love it. Looks absolutely fabulous!

Susan Lindquist December 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Yum! What a wonderful sweet gift to make at the last minute! Thanks for the idea!

Nelly Rodriguez December 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Oh yum, I’ve never made such a quick and easy fudge! Must get on it! This looks awesome and I bet the candy canes added a nice crunch and texture to it!

Tali Simon @ More Quiche, Please December 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Ooh! The last fudge recipe I saw called for a lot of butter, so this one is exciting. Maybe the chocolate makes up for it, though… :)

** I’m giving away a copy of Barefoot Bloggers on my blog. A must-read for anyone who blogs or is interested in the behind-the-scenes of blogging! http://morequicheplease.com/2011/12/ebook-review-a-giveaway/

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel December 15, 2011 at 7:56 pm

peppermint added to fudge has to be the absolute best addition

Becky December 15, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Your fudge looks so good. I added crushed candy canes to my fudge, but you have to eat the fudge right away, other wise the candy cane pieces soften, and the colors start to run. Not pretty!

Lisa December 15, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Lora, what a beautiful fudge! The crushed peppermint candy not only makes it beautiful and festive, but I think I could eat a whole piece because the peppermint cuts into the sweetness. I’ve never been one to take more than a bite or two of fudge, so this is promising :)

Priya December 16, 2011 at 12:14 am

Wat a marvellous looking fudge..incredible..

Sandra December 16, 2011 at 1:14 am

Very Delicious looking, Lora! I love how it turned out..and I love all your photos!!!!

Shulie December 16, 2011 at 1:17 am

Happy Holidays Lora. Cannot top that comment you left me so I am leaving my whimsy for another time. But really pretty chocolate peppermint fudge girlie!!

Happy When Not Hungry December 16, 2011 at 3:00 am

I love fudge! This looks delicious :-)

Ilke December 16, 2011 at 3:06 am

No need to freak out. We can only do our best and enjoy this season :)
Looks very festive to me. I am sure the adults were impressed, they were just not showing it.

Paula December 16, 2011 at 3:38 am

If you are going to freak out over Christmas being just around the corner then I think the best way to do it is yes, with a batch of this festive fudge all to yourself :)

Loveforfood December 16, 2011 at 4:12 am

I love your photographs very much. … That close up shots are making me to grab food from the screen

Rosita Vargas December 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

SIMPLEMENTE MARAVILLOSO GRAN RECETA,ABRAZOS HUGS,HUGS.

blackbookkitchendiaries December 16, 2011 at 6:22 pm

this look really good and so festive:) I really love this post. thank you for sharing this and have a great weekend.

vianney December 17, 2011 at 1:02 am

We are having a cocktail party next week, this would be a great addition. lovely pics!!

Beth @ Beth Michelle December 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Ah this fudge looks amazing. Wish I had some right now!

Lizzy December 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Beautiful, festive fudge!!! My kids would love this, Lora~

kita December 24, 2011 at 12:34 am

As I read this Chrismas is a blink away (reminded me how late I am on blog love – and how swamped I became with the holidays – and how much left I have to do). I hope you still have some of that stress relieving peppermint!
This fudge does look impress the adults and kiddos worthy. I hope you and your family are having a great holiday season!