Biscotti di Pasta Frolla e Marmellata-Italian Jam Cookies

by cakeduchess on December 21, 2011 · 26 comments

biscotti-di-pasta-frolla-e-marmellata-Italian-jam-cookies-1
If you look closely to the top right of this pretty little cookie, you will see some smudges. You may see actually a couple others on the left side as well. That’s what happens when you bake with your kids.

I’m thrilled to be part of the Palm Beach Post today in their Food and Dining section. We baked with the lovely Libby from the Post. Her favorite cookie was the Baci di Dama (Ladies’ Kisses). You can find the article and the recipe to the Baci di Dama over here.
120111 (Libby Volgyes/The Palm Beach Post) WEST PALM BEACH - Lora Giorgi bakes Christmas cookies with her family and friends in West Palm Beach including her son Luca, 5, and her daughter Gabriella, 10.
photo courtesy of Libby Volgyes

baci-di-dama-2
Back to the biscotti di pasta frolla e marmellata…

The perfectly sifted powdered sugar on top of your sweet little treat does not last very long. When you bake with kids, perfection is a word that should be eliminated from your vocabulary. It should be replaced with fun, spontaneous, and slightly messy.

It’s not often we get to bake with Fabrizio. When he does have some time to bake with the kids, I get to sit back and take photos (and sample!). ;) DSCN9614

I love Luca’s mini-rolling pin perfect for his tiny hands.

biscotti-di-pasta-frolla-e-marmellata-3

Precious little hands making his perfect cookies. This imperfect batch was the best. :)

biscotti-di-pasta-frolla-e-marmellata-2

Our oven was busy that day. We had the pasta frolla cookies on the top rack, the hazelnut biscotti in the middle, and baci di dama cookies on the lower rack.

biscotti-di-pasta-frolla-e-marmellata-4

Biscotti di Pasta Frolla e Marmellata-Italian Jam Cookies

Makes approximately 30 cookies

250 grams flour (1 ¾ cups flour)
150 grams sugar (¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
4 ounces butter, room temperature
1 egg
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon honey
1 cup apricot jam (or your favorite flavor)
Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder.

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter into the flour mixture until incorporated. Beat in the egg and the honey until incorporated (about 1-2 minutes). Do not over mix the dough.

Remove the dough from the bowl and put it onto a slightly-floured surface. Halve the dough and shape into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least two hours.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to soften slightly, about 10 minutes. Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll out dough between two pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper, and roll out to about ¼ inch thick.
Remove the top piece of plastic wrap and with a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out approximately 15 rounds from each half.

biscotti-di-pasta-frolla-e-marmellata-7

Using a tiny cookie cutter, make small holes in the center of half the rounds. Place all the rounds carefully about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake about 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven), or until cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Halfway through baking, rotate the sheets. Transfer to racks to cool.

To assemble the cookies
When the cookies are cool, turn the cookies with no holes upside down. Spread each one with about ½ teaspoon of jam, but not all the way to the edge.
biscotti-di-pasta-frolla-e-marmellata-5

Place cookies that are cut out on top of cookies spread with jam. Press gently together. Sprinkle cookies with confectioner’s sugar. With pastry bag, pipe in a little more jam into the center of each cookie.

biscotti-di-pasta-frolla-e-marmellata-6

Store cookies in an airtight plastic container at room temperature up to 2 days. Or store in the refrigerator fridge for up to 1 week, if they should last that long.;)

Thank you for stopping by to say hello during this busy week. Happy Hannukah to my friends that celebrate.:)

Debbi Hook December 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Beautiful and joyful…thanks for sharing the photos, comments, and recipe!

Claudia December 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

What a warm, welcoming post! I think the cookies are picture-perfect – probably because they were crafted with so much love. (And I do love these cookies and miss the baking times with my kids.) I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas. May your weekend be filled with joy.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels December 21, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Awww I love this post and I especially love the photo of your with your kids, soooo cute. (and you look so pretty!)
These cookies look so good and they look like so much fun to bake (and eat!)

Not to mention all of the cookies look amazing. YUM!! :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel December 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I love them all! What a wonderful time you must have had together. :)

Grubarazzi December 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Gorgeous cookies! and congrats on the feature :)

Lisa December 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I love the whole family taking part in every facet of these beautifu cookies. So loving and fun! I used to be a glaze ‘finger smudger’ Actually, I still am lol. The cookies turned out perfect – like little linzer cookies. Congrats on the Palm Beach Post!

Shulie December 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Aww Lora this is the most precious post. Love these Italian cookies. Seems like these are the perfect ones along with my tea. Huge congrats on the well deserved feature at The Palm Beach Post. So proud of you and such beautiful cookies and family!

wanna December 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Your linzer cookies look wonderful. It seems, they are known all over the world.

Aggie December 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm

these were always my favorite cookies on the cookie trays we got from the Italian bakeries in NY….so delicious! And how exciting about the article…going to check out now! :)

Parsley Sage December 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm

What fun! I think the cookies turned out beautifully :)

I totally have mini-rolling pin envy

mellissina2 December 21, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Ez a sütemény így magányosan is csodás!!!!

Happy When Not Hungry December 22, 2011 at 2:32 am

These look amazing! Great post and loved the article that you’re featured in too!

Asmita December 22, 2011 at 4:56 am

That is so much fun to bake with your kids. Great post!

Paula December 22, 2011 at 5:41 am

Libby’s article was so lovely! Congratulations. So many wonderful cookies in your oven, your home must have smelled delicious. I’m a real lover of shorbread and these jam filled ones look great. What a fun (yet busy) day in your kitchen…so nice that your husband was able to be a part of it.

Jenn December 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

These are beautiful!!! Have a wonderful holiday :)

sportsglutton December 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Looks like a delicious little treat and one my wife just asked me why I don’t make them for her. :-)

cheers!

marla December 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Lora, Love this post! Awesome to see you all having so much fun together. Congrats on the Palm Beach Post!

Barbara | Creative Culinary December 23, 2011 at 12:08 am

I love everything about this…not just the cookies but seeing the kids bake with their Dad? Priceless.

Reeni December 23, 2011 at 2:36 am

Just read the article and loved it! How sweet you are to have all those kids over to bake! I bet it’s so much fun and something they’ll always remember. Thejam cookies look delectable! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family Lora! xoxo

bunkycooks December 23, 2011 at 5:43 pm

How fun was that to make the cookies with your children and Fabrizio! That seems so long ago for me. The time goes by so quickly, so enjoy it while you can. Happy Holidays to you and your family!! xoxo

Rosita Vargas December 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Galletas muy hermosas y deliciosas,me encantan,abrazos y feliz navidad.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen December 24, 2011 at 4:27 am

I love these cookies and what a beautiful family you have Lora!

Jamie December 29, 2011 at 9:22 am

Oooh how exciting for you and congrats! I can’t wait to pop over and see the article! Love the photos – especially the one with you and the two kiddies. And do you know how much your daughter looks like you?! Love the cookie recipe, too! Happy Holidays, babes! xo

Jersey Girl Cooks December 30, 2011 at 1:32 am

I love that your family makes cookies together. Pretty cookies!

Candy December 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I secretly wish my family would make cookies with me, but in reality I would probably shoo them away after they did something wrong or got too messy!

These cookies look fantastic. I love Italian baked goods.

SweetSugarBelle January 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Beautiful! I love cooking with my kids! Memories to last a lifetime!