Vegan Maple Apple-Cranberry Crisp

by cakeduchess on November 8, 2011 · 23 comments

vegan-maple-apple-cranberry-crisp-1

In the last few weeks, my dad has been dropping some not too subtle apple pie hints. Hints like, “I miss your apple pie.” He’s recently also exclaimed, “Look at these gorgeous apples you found at the fruit market! Perfect for an apple pie.”

The other day he reminded me it’s been months since I made him an apple crisp. I can’t say no to my sweet pops. He wanted me to give him a baking lesson. He helped me cut the apples and make the crumble. He says he will give this recipe a try one day. He left with his portion and was totally thrilled.
I get him to visit us a little more often if there’s the promise of freshly baked apple dessert.
It’s such a pleasure to be a part of vintage recipe swap, run by Christianna at Burwell General Store.  For those of you not familiar with our swap, Christianna gives us a recipe, once a month and challenges us to take the original recipe, change at least three things and make it our own.  This month’s swap is even more special as Christianna celebrates her first anniversary of running this fun recipe swap.
Christianna  came upon this treasure of a cookbook during her travels, it was an old time hymnal and cookbook ( All-Day Singin’ and Dinner on the Ground by Albert E. Brumley) and she thought it would be a hoot to see all of us do our spin on these vintage recipes.
There couldn’t be a more fabulous way to celebrate our group’s one year anniversary than with a CAKE!
Be sure to take a moment and check out all the maple inspired links at the bottom of the our post. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the Vintage Recipe Swap.
Here is the original vintage Maple Syrup Cake we worked with.

swap_maplesyrupcake
maple-apple-cranberry-crisp-2
I made a mini one for my dad. He requested for his to be made without any cranberries.

Vegan Maple Apple-Cranberry Crisp

Filling

6 large tart apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)

Crumble Topping:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsps ground cinnamon
6 tbsps Earth Balance margarine, cut into pieces (or regular butter)
1/3 cup brown sugar (I made my own using white sugar and blackstrap molasses)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium sized saucepan, cook the apples and maple syrup over medium heat until the apples begin to soften (approximately 10 minutes). Drain the apples and set aside.
Combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and Earth Balance margarine (or butter) in a bowl. Blend with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Fold the cranberries into the apple filling.
Spoon the apple filling into a deep baking dish or pie plate. Top with the crumble mix.
Bake for about 30-45 minutes, until topping looks crunchy.  If the topping starts to brown too much, cover with foil until complete. *Bake with foil under the baking dish to catch any spills. Take care when removing from the oven as the fruit will bubble and will be very hot.

Yummy Mummy November 8, 2011 at 3:12 am

Yum! One of my upcoming recipes will be something with fresh cranberries too.

Rachel November 8, 2011 at 3:56 am

What a lucky dad you have! He gets fresh baked desserts and he gets to participate in making them! I really, really need to make an apple crisp this fall and I have certain family members who would certainly appreciate it being vegan and pumped-up with maple syrup.

Elin November 8, 2011 at 5:04 am

Lora…I just bought three packets of fresh cranberries and now I see this….thanks for sharing this apple cranberrry crisps recipe. I am sure your dad is happy and contented with this apple goodness :) Have a nice day,
Elin

Alex November 8, 2011 at 5:08 am

this looks perfect and your Dad sounds like my kind of guy!

Paula November 8, 2011 at 2:45 pm

What a treat to be able to bake with your Dad. This crisp looks wonderful and I’m sure made for a very happy pappy!

Jamie November 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Mmmm smells like apple and cranberry season… Looks luscious and now I need to think of something special for this combo. I love what you have going with your family. You guys are so cute!

Alli November 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

What a pretty picture! And a great idea to add apples AND cranberries into the crisp :)

Cassie//Bake Your Day November 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This cake sounds delicious. I love maple and anything with streusel!

livingthesweetlifedotwordpressdotcom November 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm

This recipe sounds so comforting and delicious – - sounds perfect with the cool weather coming so quickly.

Claudia November 8, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I’m having a vegan lunch on Monday – this will be dessert.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' November 8, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Your dad is so cute with his not-so subtle hints :) I love vintage cookbooks and your vegan twist on the maple syrup cake. Really enjoying Christianna’s vintage book recipe swap idea.

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 9, 2011 at 12:46 am

I wondered where you were…but then I always know where you are1 I love a crisp but now really crave one with cranberries. I am nuts about them! I make a cranberry maple sauce for Thanksgiving. So very yum, so I just know this is too!

Baking Serendipity November 9, 2011 at 3:56 am

This looks fantastic! I love the cranberry/apple combination and seriously think there’s nothing better than baking with dad :) PS: I have a holiday giveaway going on right now!

Ilke November 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm

How can you say no when they request it in such a sweet way?:)
My grandfather used to do that and i would get in the kitchen no matter what was going on.
Very delicious looking crisp, bet the house smelled awesome!
Happy birthday to the Vintage Recipe Swap! Sounds like a fun idea:)

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls November 9, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This looks so delicious and what a great combination of flavors! :)

Megan November 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Love a great crisp! I like seeing the cranberry in there; I think too many people are afraid to use it outside of the standard sauce. I love how your dad drops hints about baking. My husband does the same!

Maris (In Good Taste) November 10, 2011 at 1:35 am

This looks so pretty that the uncooked version even looks good!

Burwell General Store November 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Yay, Lora! Such a great twist on the recipe! So glad you made it into the swap, I always love reading your amazing recipes (and stories).

Be well.

Delishhh November 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm

OH MY – this looks like it has all the yummy stuff in it. Fabulous!

Dionne Baldwin November 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm

This is a beautiful crisp! That is so sweet of you to make that for him. Don’t you just love hints like that? So flattering when your efforts are enjoyed and a part of someones memories.

I hope you are having a good week, my friend!

Nancy November 11, 2011 at 4:55 am

Lora,

I would truly give anything to have the chance to make this with my father.. I am so happy that not only you have the opportunity but you are taking full advantage of it! This truly is a perfect dish to make together!!

Lana November 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Yes, my Dad’s hints are equally “subtle” – I just returned from Serbia where I indulged my parents’ smallest culinary whims (cannot say that I did not enjoy their competition for my favors:)
Both you in Florida and I in California do not experience the frigid winds of the north, but this dessert is perfect for this season. And I love the addition of cranberries!

Sabrina Modelle November 12, 2011 at 12:56 am

Oh this looks sooo good. I love that you’re sharing this with your dad. Sweet as can be. Love sharing the swap with you.