Vegan Pumpkin Bread

by cakeduchess on September 28, 2011 · 38 comments

vegan-pumpkin-bread-1

This amazing bread has been has been my breakfast for the last three weeks. Every. single. day. A slice alone is perfect with my caffe latte. It is even better with Barney Butter slathered all over the slice.

You see that pretty, bright sunny background behind the pumpkin bread? It’s hard to believe it’s already fall! It doesn’t look like fall here. But while I’m tasting a bite of this bread full of fall’s spices, I close my eyes and can feel a gentle cool breeze caressing my cheeks. Ok, it’s just my air conditioning hitting me in the face. I envy you people that have the four seasons to enjoy!
I normally make my pumpkin bread with butter. Lots of butter! Here’s a link to the recipe with butter if that is more your style. I never believed I would say I love this recipe better than my butter-loaded one. But I honestly do! It’s moist and quite addictive. The beauty of this recipe is that it’s for 2 breads!

vegan-pumpkin-bread-2
So if you are experiencing the cool breezes of fall and the pretty color changes of the leaves, please tell me about it in a comment. Go ahead! Brag! I REALLY would love to read about it.

When we were on a hike last month in North Carolina, I found these gorgeous leaves and pressed them in my book. A little reminder of what it will be looking at around most parts of the world very soon.
fallleaves2
vegan-pumpkin-bread-3
I usually make one loaf plain and one loaf with semi-sweet chocolate chips tossed in the batter. I was very distracted taking the photos of the bread from the tempting scent of cinnamon and ginger. I had to have just one more slice. My second of the day so far. It is SO good!

Vegan Pumpkin Bread
slightly adapted from Joy the Baker

makes 2 loaves
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or you could use all white all-purpose flour)
2 cups light brown sugar (I like to make my own with white sugar and 2 tablespoons of molasses mixed together)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons ginger
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree, or just under two cups
1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup orange juice
1 cup rice milk(or almond milk-you can also use soy)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place a rack in the center of the oven.  Line two loaf pans (mine are 9 x 5) with parchment paper and set aside.

Pour the rice milk (or almond milk) into a small bowl and add the apple cider vinegar. Stir it together a little and let it sit for minute while you prep the other ingredients.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.

In a very large bowl, stir together pumpkin puree, oil, orange juice, and rice (or almond) milk until nicely combined.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients about a cup at a time. Stir well after adding each cup of the dry ingredients using a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl and incorporate it all together.

Spoon the batter into your parchment lined loaf pans and smooth down a little with a spatula.
Bake for 1/2 on hour at 350 then lower the heat to 325 and bake for about another 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.  It will be hard to wait for the bread to cool before serving.

Surprise a friend or a neighbor and wrap the 2nd loaf to give as a gift. You will be thanked profusely.

Moore or Less Cooking September 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Looks wonderful- have to try it!

Sanjeeta kk September 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Oh..love the supple, light and wonderful flavored loaf! Need to try rice milk baking. And what a lovely way to preserve memories, Lora.

Kim - Liv Life September 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Both of my kids adore pumpkin, especially Liv. This would be a perfect snack before dance rehearsals! With you having it for 3 weeks straight it must be good. That’s all I need to hear!

Tina September 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I will definitely need to to try this. It is hard to believe that there are no eggs or butter in the recipe. The end result looks awesome, I am glad you posted this!

Tina September 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm

foodwanderings September 28, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Love this bread and I find it so challenging to make a vegan version so am pretty impressed!! Honestly even straight forward zucchini, pumpkin any gourds and squashes loaves I am terrible at but always taste so good when someone else makes it. Hint! Hint!

The Farmers Wife September 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

This looks so amazing! Perfectly moist and delectable! I adore finding new recipes like this, and this is one I can make for my Sister In Law since she is dairy-free!

Becky September 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Your bread looks so moist and inviting, perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. I’m always looking for healthier recipes, now.

Nelly Rodriguez September 28, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Welcome Fall! Love this and having it with morning coffee sounds like a great idea!

Gina September 29, 2011 at 1:19 am

Any kind of pumpkin bread is good pumpkin bread. The oil is what makes it so moist. I’m ready for fall. Sorry about your friends too, too much bad new lately. Will keep them in mine. Good news is, I can’t wait to meet your mom, it’s gonna be so fun. Hope you have a great week.
-Gina-

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE September 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I’m giddy about pumpkin season. Bring it ON!

Amy September 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh how I love pumpkin bread…

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Georgie September 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Looks incredible! It’s still feels like summertime here in CT,but not for long. Enjoy breakfast ;)

Ashley@Bakerbynature October 1, 2011 at 12:17 am

We are so so so on the same page; I could eat a slice of cake/bread for breakfast with my coffee everyday of my life and die a happy woman. This looks great – I can’t believe it’s vegan!

The Vanilla Bean Baker October 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Our *cool breezes of Fall* today feel like Winter! It is much too cool for this time of year and a slice of that gorgeous looking bread (could it be any moister!?) would be perfect right now. Leaves are blowing off the leaves like crazy today ;)

TejasJJain October 6, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I tried this yesterday and it came out really yummy. Sweetness was perfect.
I used baked pumkin puree so it was fairly dry so I added ½ cup milk. What should be consistency of batter?

Cake Duchess October 7, 2011 at 2:37 am

Hi-I’m happy you liked the flavor and sweetness. As for the consistency, I use canned pumpkin and it is always very moist. The consistency of the batter is creamy and dreamy:)Maybe you could try the next one with canned pumpkin?:)Thanks for stopping by!!

Brittany October 11, 2011 at 2:55 am

that looks delicious! I also love Trader Joe’s pumpkin bread. YUM!

Rachel M. November 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I just happened upon your blog and this recipe when I was looking for something to bring to vegan friends for Thanksgiving.

Easy to make and bring along I decided to give it a try. And what a treat!

I actually substituted the rice milk for Silk Pumpkin Spice soy milk since I happened to have it on hand (and no time to run to the supermarket). Moist and flavorful, even as a non-vegan this was delicious and a huge hit at the Thanksgiving table! I will definitely be making this recipe again and again.

Thanks!

Shannon December 1, 2011 at 6:08 am

I have this baking in the oven right now and it smells great! The batter was delicious! I couldn’t believe how much it made, I had to use a pot to mix it because I didn’t have a big enough bowl!
I used homemade pumpkin puree and So Delicious coconut milk and it worked great. Thanks for the recipe!

Cake Duchess December 2, 2011 at 2:48 am

Hi Shannon-I love that you used homemade pumpkin puree:)You’re so welcome:)So happy you like it:)

Give me money January 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm

so nice look and hope its so yummy

Amy August 26, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Mmm! Love this Lora, it sounds delicious! I am so ready for pumpkin desserts and fall!

Anonymous September 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Just made this yesterday and it is SO YUM! I’m trying to go Vegan. I’ve made this one Amish recipe for years, but it calls for LOTS of sugar and eggs! So, this was a wonderful surprise, it tastes nearly identical. Thank you, thank you! :)

Cake Duchess September 25, 2012 at 1:52 am

Good for you:)I thought it would be much better without all the sugar original recipe had. And it really is wonderful:)Thank you for enjoying it and leaving me a comment. Good luck on going vegan:)

Anonymous October 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

FYI the recipe isn’t vegan…….

Cake Duchess October 15, 2012 at 9:15 pm

There is no butter, eggs or dairy milk. Can you elaborate why?

Bread & No Butter September 27, 2013 at 7:15 am

I read often times regular sugar is ground using bone char–never knew such a thing until I started baking vegan. Otherwise I think your recipe sounds very good, and vegan. Just watch adding honey, that’s not very vegan.

cakeduchess September 28, 2013 at 9:46 am

I’ve read a lot about vegan cooking/baking and knew that fact. I do use vegan sugar when baking for vegan friends. I also am aware that honey is not vegan-thanks for the tips!

A November 13, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Love this recipe! Thank you for sharing with us!

Soo McCartney April 22, 2013 at 1:01 am

Loved this recipe! My son has dairy and egg allergies, so I’m always looking for great recipes like this to treat my family once in awhile. Good thing I made two loaves this morning because my 18 month old, hubby, and FIL already gobbled up one of them. I was initially unsure about the OJ but turned out wonderful, followed the recipe exactly. Thanks for sharing!!

KC October 1, 2013 at 5:37 am

I LOOOVE this recipe. canned pumpkin is really hard to find here and when you do, it’s $15!! (i live in the caribbean) anyways i grated fresh pumpkin which only cost $3 for a huge chunk then drained off the excess liquid. i skipped the OJ because the fresh pumpkin had so much liquid in it already and it turned out amazing. SUPER MOIST. im not a huge bread or cake fan unless it’s super moist and i could eat this all day. i just ate half for breakfast =/ lol

cakeduchess October 1, 2013 at 7:22 am

I just baked another one since it’s pumpkin baking season here again. The kids were very happy! Oh, that’s expensive. Good that you used fresh pumpkin. I bet the flavor was incredible:)We love it for breakfast;)Thanks for stopping by with a comment!

Tom Pollack October 21, 2013 at 7:18 pm

This is my absolute favorite recipe for pumpkin bread, Now that it is cooler and getting closer to Halloween and Thanksgiving time

cakeduchess October 22, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks, Tom! It’s one of our favorites this time of year as well…happy baking!