Mini Mango-Strawberry Tarts

by cakeduchess on August 30, 2011 · 23 comments

mini-mango-strawberry-tarts-1

Where did the lazy days of summer vacation go? I swear they were just here yesterday. Some of you are already thinking of rich pumpkin desserts and cakes full of fall’s warm spices. I’m not quite there yet.

We’re still making fruit desserts. My mind hasn’t adjusted to “back to school” and no more lazy mornings sleeping in. The 6 AM lunch and breakfast prepping is back. The day starts in a mad rush and finishes with us all crashing in exhaustion. I need to find a day to look through some things we baked this summer and share them with you! It was all delicious.
I will slowly catch up with some scrumptious desserts we made this summer. The first one is this delicious mini tarts recipe. I was sad when I found the last mango that fell off our gorgeous mango tree last month. I can’t go into fall without posting a mango recipe. This is a good one.
As soon as the kids start their first day of school, my mind automatically fast-forwards to Halloween, Halloween costumes, and Halloween candy. Maybe I should dump the bag I still have stashed in my secret hiding place. Could be a good idea to make room for the new goodies I’ll we’ll soon get!
This. This moment. This is what I’ll miss the most of summer. Long and steamy days of summer break when the kids and I would spontaneously bake. Flour scattered all over the floor. Sticky dough stuck to every inch of the counter. Giggling and laughing while we make a sweet mess. No rush to work on homework or study for tests. The joyous laughter quickly changing to my kids bickering over who gets to stir or who gets to roll the dough. Really, that’s what my life is all about.
Here’s my favorite baker.
mini-mango-strawberry-tarts-5
I was recently in New Orleans for IFBC NOLA. I have to quickly say how much I LOVED the city of New Orleans and what a fantastic conference this was. If any of you are from New Orleans…lucky you. I love that city! I will work on my post and share it with you later this week. It was an amazing weekend.
Make summer last just a bit longer when you make these tasty little tarts. You can switch up the fruit any way you like. I think I’ll be making some more this week with the gorgeous black mission figs I just found.
The crust was flaky and delicious. The filling is juicy and gently sweet. I love to have them with a hot cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon. Since they’re free-form, you don’t have to stress about making it look perfect.

mini-mango-strawberry-tarts-2

approximately 4 tablespoons strawberry jam or preserves
1/2 mango, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
1 small banana, sliced
8 medium strawberries, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Sugar, for sprinkling
Crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream, for serving

Directions
Pastry: In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt. Add the butter and pulse until it is the size of small peas. Sprinkle the ice water over the mixture and pulse until the pastry starts to come together. Transfer the pastry to a work surface and knead gently a few times until thoroughly blended. Divide the tart in half and flatten into disks. Wrap the pastry in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 of the pastry disks 1/8 inch thick. Using a 5-inch plate as a guide, cut out 4 rounds and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the second pastry disk. Refrigerate the rounds until firm, about 10 minutes.

Filling: In the center of the tarts, spread out about 1 tablepoon of the strawberry jam. Spread out on top of the jam the mango, banana slices and a few strawberry slices on top. Bring the pastry edges up and around the fruit, pinching firmly to form a pleated rim on each tart. Refrigerate the tarts until firm, 10 minutes.
mini-mango-strawberry-crostatas-3
Brush the tarts with the melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 35 minutes, until the pastry is browned and the fruit is bubbling. Let the tarts cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with crème fraîche.
Thanks for stopping by to say HELLO!! Smile

A Thought For Food August 30, 2011 at 8:31 pm

These mini tarts look wonderful! And it looks like you had a fabulous time making them!

Nisrine M. August 30, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Delicious and quite simple to make.

Gloria August 30, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I love your mini mango tarts!! love mango! gloria

LunaMoth August 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

oh yum! gotta tweek the recipe to make it vegan, but they sound delish!

Claudia August 30, 2011 at 10:26 pm

These are glorious and a beautiful way to extend summer. I’m not letting go of fruit season until the fruit disappears! Local melons and berries are still here – long live your sweet crostadas!

Nelly Rodriguez August 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Oh gorgeous and your baker is adorable! Love the flaky crust on this with the sweet fruit!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 30, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I love that you made these as individual tarts, just that much more fun. I feel like I’m being pulled by the longing for fall and everything it brings but at the same time afraid to say goodbye to summer.

chefpandita.com August 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Curious about the combination of mango and strawberry and that crust looks amazing, Lora! xoxo

Ilke August 31, 2011 at 1:06 am

Well Hello :))
It is always nice to have helpers in the kitchen Bet you had fun time together.:)

foodwanderings August 31, 2011 at 3:44 am

That first pic Miss Lora is to die for. Bam you caught our attention! The mini fruit tarts are so adorable, fresh and yes let summer linger!

Terra August 31, 2011 at 4:16 am

Awww, I love love you sweet baker:-) Those tarts look so full of delicious happiness! Hugs, Terra

The Vanilla Bean Baker August 31, 2011 at 4:28 am

Goodbyes are always hard until we realize that summer will return again next year and once again that beautiful mango tree will bloom and its fruit will fill your yard! Envious that you do have a mango tree and wishing I could make a fruit tart as wonderful as this.

Pretend Chef August 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Love everything about these mini tarts. I can’t wait for my son to take an interest in the kitchen. Hopefully he’ll want to learn to cook.

Anna and Liz Recipes September 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm

What a great way to end the summer with these delicious mini tarts! great recipes for the fall too! Thanks :)

Amy September 2, 2011 at 2:09 am

Lora these are so cute! More importantly though they sound so delicious! I love the combination of fruit you have used here, so summery!

Carolyn September 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

Oh Lora, these look so, so good! Love them as mini crostata instead of high-sided tarts. I am going to miss summer too!

Elle September 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I too, will miss the lazy, stress-free days of summer. My kids just went back today! The tarts are lovely, and I love anything free form that doesn’t need to look perfect. ;)

Magic of Spice September 3, 2011 at 1:03 am

Your little baker is adorable, and so are these tarts…love minis :)
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Maureen September 3, 2011 at 10:26 am

These little tarts look fantastic. Mango season is nearly here and I can’t wait to try these tarts.

Lizzy September 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm

These are stunning, Lora! Full of luscious summer fruit…and so irresistible. Have a fabulous holiday weekend~

Monet September 6, 2011 at 3:34 am

What a lovely baker…and what a lovely recipe! Thank you for sharing with me, my sweet friend. I hope you are having a blessed start to this week. I know I’m smiling a bit wider after visiting you tonight. Much love from Austin!

Nastassia (Let Me Eat Cake) September 6, 2011 at 4:40 am

this makes me miss mango so bad! i don’t want summer to end and i was sweet mangoes back! but i still want to try this tart recipe so may sub nectarines for the mangoes and hold onto summer just a little longer :)

Liz @ Southern Charm September 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

These look amazing! Can’t wait to try these out … I’m thinking Sunday brunch? Slurp!

I’m from, and still live in, New Orleans. Glad you had such a great time! It’s awesome to hear how much people who don’t live here love this place as well :)