Browned Butter and Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies-Vintage Recipe Swap

by cakeduchess on August 8, 2011 · 37 comments

molasses3
You know you just made an amazing cookie when your visiting Italian cousin sweetly asks if she should put aside a couple for breakfast the next day. She’s afraid there may not be any left the next morning for breakfast. I think I may never have to try another chocolate chip cookie recipe again.

This cookie recipe invokes both happiness and fear. You’re overwhelmed with feelings of pure happiness with that first bite. A happiness like you haven’t felt in a while. Soon the happiness starts to fade away and you’re overcome with a little fear.

A slight feeling of dread that you may have eaten your last amazing cookie.
That is how good these cookies are.
The funny thing is…I don’t usually make chocolate chip cookies. My mom makes the world’s best chocolate chip cookies. They’re not too chewy and they have just the right amount of chips in every bite. They’re seriously wonderful.  Why would I attempt to make them when hers are so wonderful?
But I was presented with the opportunity this month through the fabulous Vintage Recipe Swap group my friend Christianna put together. I was excited about this month’s recipe. I love baking with molasses. It’s so rich and adds a wonderful texture to cookies.

molasses5

While I was baking the cookies, Silvia, the other cousin visiting us, took a look at the molasses bottle and asked if it was soy sauce. She said it smelled funny and had never seen it before. It may smell funny, but a little bit mixed with granulated sugar makes a mighty fine cookie.
I’m not an expert on gluten-free baking so I found a recipe with flour in it. I never made cookies with bread flour before.

recipeswap_molassescookie
molasses7
molasses8

My son helped me out in adding the molasses to the sugar. Actually, he started to pour it in when I went to grab my camera to take a photo. He then smiled and told me, “I’ll help mommy make cookies!” We stirred it together really well. And that is how you make brown sugar. How easy is that? Maybe this is the secret of why these cookies are so incredible.

molasses9
Or it could have been the browned butter? That was a good idea. Our cousin Stefania asked me about how many calories are there in each cookie? She giggled and asked if there are a lot. I told her to relax because she is on vacation and just enjoy the calories. I didn’t mention that two sticks of butter.
molasses10
I baked the cookies about 10 minutes. The cookies were chewy and a little crisp around the edges. That is my idea of a perfect cookie. This is a recipe you must try soon.

Browned Butter and Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 3 dozen cookies

recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown and Joy the Baker

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon dark molasses, not blackstrap
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Brown the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over medium-low heat. When the butter has browned (about 3 minutes), set aside to cool. *If you don’t set the butter aside to cool, the chocolate chips will melt as you’re stirring them like mine did. And that is definitely not a problem. It just depends if you mind having chocolate swirls instead of chips in your cookies. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside the flour mixture.

In a medium sized bowl, mix the granulated sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain.

Pour browned butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the homemade brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg and mix well. Add the yolk and mix until well combined. Slowly spoon in the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Please check out the rest of the group’s recipes. You can find the Vintage Recipe Group’s bios here and links to their sites and recipes. They are super talented bloggers and it’s fun to see their spin on a vintage recipe.

Elizabeth August 8, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi Lora, These look fabulous. I love using molasses and browned butter but I’ve never used them in the same recipe. I was just curious, why do you specify not blackstrap?

Pretend Chef August 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm

These cookies look really delicious. I don’t make cookies often but I know these would be a hit in my household. Yummy!

Erin August 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Really like the idea of molasses being in a cookie!

Maria August 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Now I want cookies for breakfast:)

thelittleloaf August 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These cookies look absolutely gorgeous. i thought I’d found my ultimate recipe but this might just tip the scales… love the inclusion of molasses and browned butter.

Alan Cooke August 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Definitely a yummy looking cookie! I’m sure they would not last very long at my house! :-)

Burwell General Store August 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm

OH my goodness. I agree with your math, molasses + browned butter = amazing. I’m glad to see you in the swap again and as always, I love reading your posts. Fingers crossed for next swap!

Chef Dennis August 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I think you hit on just the right combination for those spectacular cookies! I would put these on your regular rotation of baked treats for your friends and family!
Glad you could make it to the swap this month, we missed you!

heidi's copper kettle August 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I absolutely have to make this! I have never used bread flour for cookies before either but I have a 25 pound bag of the stuff from Costco begging me to use it. Thanks for the recipe!

Boulder Locavore August 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Hi Lora! I’m opening this at a time akin to going grocery shopping when hungry. The first photo had me wondering how quickly I could make a trip to Florida! They look delicious! I love all the thoughtful information you included too. So glad you are back; we are lucky to have you as part of our swap.

Chris August 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I was looking for a recipe for blondies the other day, and came across one that uses bread flour – they said the higher gluten in the bread flour gives a chewiness that regular flour doesn’t. I LOVE browned butter AND molasses, as soon as we finish the cookies my daughter just made, have to try this recipe.

As an aside…I *never* buy brown sugar. I always make mine “from scratch” with molasses. I think it gives a richer flavor to the brown sugar and the recipe as a whole :)

Mari August 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm

They looks spectacular. I could imagine the taste of molasses with the brown sugar….. delicious :)

Monet August 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm

These look so tasty Lora. I love cooking with browned butter. So good! I had an Italian Creme Cake last night that was AMAZING. Do you have a favorite recipe? And thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. This was perfect lunch-reading-material. I only wish I could have had a bite! I hope you have a lovely evening.

Alli August 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm

So great to make homemade brown sugar! And browned butter probably adds such a nice richness. I started getting stressed out just thinking I need to make them…!

Shumaila August 8, 2011 at 11:31 pm

My mom makes chocolate chip cookies with molasses and I love her cookies! And to use browned butter- yum! Glad to be part of the Swap!

scrambledhenfruit August 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm

These look great! I have a choc. chip recipe that uses molasses, but not with browned butter too. It sounds like a winning combination! :)

Maris (In Good Taste) August 9, 2011 at 12:06 am

Homemade brown sugar! So amazing to me!

Barbara | Creative Culinary August 9, 2011 at 2:13 am

I saw your tweet and am sorry I got her so late. I could use a good cookie or twelve. These are so up my alley…the browned butter, the molasses and oh yeah, the chocolate chips. Great job Lora, wish we could share a cookie and a huge. What a day. XOSO

Gina August 9, 2011 at 4:10 am

Mmm, cookies. Never made me own brown sugar, who knew it was so easy. It sounds like your cousin is on smart cookie. Hope you are enjoying summer.
-Gina-

The Vanilla Bean Baker August 9, 2011 at 4:34 am

Unlike Stephanie, I don’t care how many calories are in these cookies (vacation or not) I’m just wondering how many I can pile onto a plate and eat in one sitting! LOL They do look mighty good :)

The Vanilla Bean Baker August 9, 2011 at 4:37 am

My apologies to your cousin, I meant to type Stefania.

ネコチョコ August 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

yumm!These look great!I am hungry!
double chocolate chip cookie recipe

Lizzy August 9, 2011 at 11:41 am

My husband’s great aunt used to let him have cookies for breakfast…telling him that they were special “breakfast cookies.” He still will have the occasional breakfast cookie now and then. These look wonderful, Lora…I love the addition of molasses :) xo

Carolyn August 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Theswe cookies look amazing, Laura. And the browned butter indeed would have made a difference, in both taste and texture. Yum!

Reeni August 10, 2011 at 1:22 am

Your cookies rock Lora! With homemade brown sugar AND browned butter – seriously irresistible! I’d be hiding some for breakfast too. xoxo

Ilke August 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Your cousin is visiting you and on vacation, two things that should make her not to count calories :)

Lovely cookies.

Barbara | Creative Culinary August 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I’m making these RIGHT now. How do I get the dough onto the baking sheets? Right now spoonfuls are entering my mouth and I can’t stop. Send help. :) PS I think I’m kidding Lora but this dough is the bomb!

Happy When Not Hungry August 11, 2011 at 1:56 am

What a fabulous recipe! These cookies look amazing :-)

Gayle Anderson, Idaho Farm-wife August 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’m so glad I found this site… as I bake just for the love of it, as well as do “stress baking” when I get stressed, I bake. More new recipes to try. Yea. Feel free to check out my recipe pages at http://www.idahofarmwife.net

Erica August 12, 2011 at 2:42 am

This looks fabulous! YUM!

Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

BakingWithoutABox August 12, 2011 at 4:07 am

Mmmmm molasses make everything better. Those cookies look decadent. And love the super cute helper.

Monique August 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Your cookies look stunning! Never thought of browning the butter before, brilliant. I have the complete urge to make these right now. Fantastic job on the recipe swap.

Ethan August 16, 2011 at 8:49 pm

These look soo great! I’m a sucker for chocolate chip cookies:)

Desi September 27, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Oh yum! I’ve never really thought about how they make brown sugar… I’m loving your cookies using the homemade brown sugar! I think I’m gonna have to make these :)

Anonymous December 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

just made these for a work christmas event tomorrow, and WOW! they’re distinctive than typical chocolate chip cookie because the brown butter adds a great depth (and smells amazing while it’s cooking!). really original take on a old favorite. thanks for sharing!

christina @ ovenadventures March 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm

these look so good. i’ve been looking for a recipe to use up some molasses.