Upside-Down Buttermilk Peach Cake and Italy

by cakeduchess on July 23, 2011 · 39 comments

peachupsidedown

One of the main reasons I love summer is for all the wonderful fruit that can be found. I am a sucker for peaches and even nectarines. Any sweet stone fruit makes me happy.

I was spoiled in Italy by the gorgeous and sweet as honey peaches and apricots they had in season last month. I was happy to find some wonderful peaches and nectarines this past week at our vegetable market here in Florida. These stone fruits are wonderful to eat alone, but even better in a quick and easy cake.

This past year I got to know the lovely and talented Abby Dodge on Twitter. She recently put together a group called #baketogether. It’s a really relaxed group where Abby gives the recipe on her website and asks whoever wants to participate to put their spin on it. The recipe this month was a summer fruit cake Abby made with berries. I couldn’t wait to try her recipe and change it a little!
Smile

Thank you, Abby, for your fabulous recipe and for putting together this idea! Maybe you’d like to join Abby’s #baketogether group?
peaches
                                         peachcake3

Upside-Down Buttermilk Peach Cake
slightly adapted from Abby Dodge’s Summer Fruit Cake ~Your Way

Makes 10 servings.

4-5 medium peaches, halved, pitted and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 1/3 cups (6 ounces) cake flour (you could also use AP flour and will be fine)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
12 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, softened (4 for bottom of pan, 8 tablespoons for the batter)
3/4 cup  granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk

Position an oven rack on the middle rung. Heat the oven to 350°F degrees. Place 4 tablespoons of butter in an 8 inch square cake pan. Heat in oven until butter melts, about 4 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle the 4 tablespoons of brown sugar evenly over butter. DSCN1593
Arrange peach slices in staggered overlapping rows, covering bottom of pan evenly.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until well blended. In a large bowl, beat the other 8 tablespoons of butter and sugar with an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high until well blended, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed until just blended. Add the lemon zest along with the second egg. Using a wide rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients and the buttermilk alternately into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
Pour batter into cake pan, and spread evenly over peaches. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes (my oven was about 40 minutes). Let cool 10 minutes, then invert cake onto wire rack (or onto your serving dish)to cool again slightly before serving.
Serve warm or at room temperature.

Storage: Cover the baked and cooled cake in plastic wrap and stow at room temperature for not that long of a time because it is just TOO hot. Probably won’t be any left once you start slicing it. If there is, put the rest in the fridge.

So, ready for ready for some Italy photos? SmileHere were were at a restaurant on Father’s Day. Teresa took us all to this restaurant where they serve you all the different courses. Everyone gets the exact same thing and it was all delicious. I don’t remember exactly what we had and I didn’t take any food photos at that lunch.

There were antipasti. There was pasta and risotto. Lots of bread. Some baked chicken and a pork roast. I had a really delicious sorbetto for dessert. That I remember very well.

After lunch, we went for a short drive. Here we are in Ghisallo. It is about 15 minutes from Teresa’s house near Lake Como. This chapel is called the Madonna di Ghisallo. It is a chapel dedicated to cyclists.
To the right of the chapel, this is the view. This magnificent view I could stare at for hours.
Here I am with Teresa and Antonia (my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law).
After we went to Ghisallo, we went by this little lake to take a walk and also to get some ice-cream! Yes! I was so excited to see the sign announcing goat’s milk gelato just a short hike away.SmileThat is DEFINITELY my kind of hike!!

I couldn’t take a photo of the ice-cream because Fabrizio and I ended up eating about 3 ice-creams each. Our kids and our nephews did not like the strong goat’s milk flavor. I happened to REALLY like it. It was amazing.
They also sold these fresh goat cheeses in the little shop where we bought the gelato. The proprietress gave me a sample. Mmm! It was incredible.

cheese

And that was how we spent Father’s Day in Italy. Hope you liked the photos. Smile Have a great weekend and thank you for stopping by!

Marnely Rodriguez July 23, 2011 at 3:46 am

love your spin on the #baketogether cake! I’m definitely excited to bake with everyone and loved Abby’s cake recipe! Great pictures of Italia darling, the goat farm and ice cream and cheese all look like an amazing time! xoxo

Kim - Liv Life July 23, 2011 at 4:13 am

I’m so enjoying your photos!!! Thank you so much for giving us a glimpse of where you were. LOVE the peach cake! I’m a sucker for anything upside-down, love the fruity goodness of it all!!

Jan July 23, 2011 at 4:13 am

Oh, your Italy photos are so gorgeous. Such incredible scenery! Love the you transformed Abby’s berry cake into a peach upside-down version. Looks awesome :)

Lo-mo July 23, 2011 at 4:15 am

The cake looks fabulous. We are in love with peaches here and I am now thinking I need to make this! Beautiful photos of Italy! Any hike that takes me to gelati, is my kind of hike as well!

Mari July 23, 2011 at 4:20 am

What a delicious looking cake!! Can’t wait to taste it :P Lovely photos! Have a grrreat weekend.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen July 23, 2011 at 4:21 am

Got to make this cake for my oldest son, peaches are his favorite and you cake looks to die for!
Thanks for sharing your travel photos, gorgeous country!

Maureen July 23, 2011 at 4:31 am

Yum. Peaches aren’t in season now but I have some berries from the freezer that would work well and I have some buttermilk I must use. Yay!

Sue July 23, 2011 at 4:34 am

Your cake looks so beautiful and delicious, Lora! Love the photo with all the peaches layered in the pan:) Great photos of Italy. I’d like to see the cyclist’s chapel:)

Terra July 23, 2011 at 4:50 am

What a beautiful looking cake, so moist! Love the addition of peaches, such a perfect flavor combination:-) I bought plums the other day to make plum upside-down cake, excited to make it this weekend:-) By the way, you Italy pics are just gorgeous!
Hugs, Terra

Baker Street July 23, 2011 at 5:38 am

Ooh Peaches. I love your spin on abby’s berry cake.

You just took us to italy. Lovely pictures from your holiday.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen July 23, 2011 at 8:49 am

Loving the photos, it’s making me want to visit even more!

claudia lamascolo July 23, 2011 at 10:33 am

I cant tell you how jealous I am of this great family you have! I love every minute I spend here seeing these great pictures. Yesterday my future daughterinlaw said why dont you make a peach upside down cake instead of pineappke wait till she see’s this! love it and thank you again for sharing these family moments!

claudia lamascolo July 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

I do have some questions, is the 12 tablespoons of butter in the batter and 5 tablespoons melted seperate for the bottom, and about how much brown sugar, thanks Lora~

Maris (In Good Taste) July 23, 2011 at 10:46 am

I love the photos! Such beautiful scenes and an incredible vacation. Love the cake too!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 23, 2011 at 12:38 pm

This cake looks delicious and I love your Italy pictures!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day July 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I am bookmarking this one! My family loves pineapple upside down cake and I like it but I would LOVE this one, I’m a fool for peaches and nectarines this time of year too. Thanks for sharing the awesome recipe and pictures!

Junia July 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

wow, love the upside down peach cake!! this is beautiful and i’m sure its insanely delicious!

Ethan July 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I’m not turning on my oven these days, but I might for this cake:)
Love the pics! Seeing those cute lil goats makes me smile

foodwanderings July 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm

How gorgeous Laura. Love the in season peaches but can’t get enough of your recaps of Italy. Absolutely gorgeous!!

Carolyn July 23, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Lora, this looks phenomenal. Look at all that caramelized goodness on top! And what a lovely time you had in Italy. Very jealous!

Reeni July 23, 2011 at 9:18 pm

What a gorgeous peach cake! I wish I had a piece right now with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Your pictures are beautiful – I could look at the views all day long too! Hope you’re having a great weekend Lora! xoxo

Zoe July 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm

This cake looks amazing, Lora! I love peaches so this is my kind of dessert. Your Italy photos are gorgeous (just like you!) :)

Lizzy July 23, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Oh, how yummy, Lora! I seem to love peaches in every dessert, so this is a fabulous new idea. And I need to check out #baketogether…sounds fun!

PS…keep those incredible Italy pictures coming~

Angie's Recipes July 24, 2011 at 7:22 am

That’s a darn good looking upside down cake!~

Sanjeeta kk July 24, 2011 at 9:39 am

What picturesque sites, Lora. Like the idea of spreading brown sugar before on he baking tin. The cake look awesome.

Cookin' Canuck July 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

That looks like an ideal way to spend Father’s Day. How wonderful to be surrounded by family. This cake looks utterly irresistible.

Chris July 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I may have to join twitter just to join that group – I *love* taking a recipe and putting “my spin” on it – that’s what I do best :)

Your cake looks lovely. I got some wonderfully sweet and juicy peaches and nectarines from my CSA – I’ll have to try this!

Chris July 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

abby Dodge July 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm

LOVED your Italy pix! Thx for sharing.
I’ve just put your #baketogether cake in my oven (blueberries tho b/c the peaches just weren’t worthy:)
xx
A

Kate@Diethood July 25, 2011 at 12:29 am

That cake sounds fantastic…love that you used peaches!

And those photos of your trip make me want to jump on that plane asap! What a beautiful place!!

Maria July 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I am addicted to peaches right now. Can’t wait to try your cake. So glad you had a nice time in Italy. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Magic of Spice July 25, 2011 at 8:59 pm

The photos are fantastic…such a great trip, and that cheese :)
Fantastic looking cake as well, perfect use for fresh summer peaches :)

Monet July 26, 2011 at 3:05 am

What a beautiful cake! I just pulled out two pineapple upside down cakes from the oven…and I wish I had a slice of the peach. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe and all of your lovely vacation pictures. So beautiful, my dear!

Jamie July 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oooh you make me so jealous! How I miss Italy and everything about it (but especially the food!). Love what you did with Abby’s cake. My husband LOVES peach upside down cake but I made mine with blueberries and raspberries.

sweetpeaskitchen.com July 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Yummy this peach cake looks super yummy!
I love your photos of Italy. It brings back wonderful memories. My husband and I backpacked through Italy for an entire month a few years ago..it was an incredible experience! :D

Kathy July 30, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Your photos of Italy are so gorgeous! What a great looking cake…thanks for the recipe. I would love to try it!

Deeba PAB August 9, 2011 at 11:45 am

You got me at Peach Buttermilk Cake…YUM!! Must try this if I can find some late end of summer peaches here. How beautiful the countryside pictures are too!

shayma September 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Lora- i am going to try this on Saturday and report back to you! x shayma

stella bakes July 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

i just made this cake, added blueberries, and it turned out great! thanks for sharing :)