Coconut-Lime Berry Cake

by cakeduchess on July 12, 2011 · 42 comments

berrycoconutcake2
Once upon a time, when I was too hip to explain on a brief blog post, I was the tanning Goddess. I would take out my coconut scented tanning oil and spray every inch of my body. Even my toes!

Yes, I would grease up and lay outside in all my coconut-scented glory and bath in the scorching rays watching the cool guys play volley-ball on the beach. I made sure my bangs still kept their poof and would adjust them every so often with my secret pocket mirror on the inside of my beach bag. A quick brace check with my best friend Michelle. We always had each other’s backs. Food in braces was a definite no-no when trying to look cool.
So there we would be, Michelle and I, sitting on our pink and green towels talking about life; meaning, what was going on that weekend. We would sit there and apply more spray and poof our bangs a little more and figure out who our crush of the minute was.
You see, poofy blonde hair, braces, coconut-scented tanning spray, and conversation…that was the way to get the guys! Before the age of texting, tweeting, Skyping, Facebooking…there was old fashioned talking. Talking in person? I know, how archaic!!??
When I bake with coconut it takes me back to simpler times. The smell of the coconut reminds me of when I could lay out in the sun without a care for hours.

Oh yeah…those were the good days.

Coconut-Lime Berry Cake

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 plus 1 tablespoon cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
zest and juice of two limes
3 cups mixed berries (like blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries)
3 tablespoons orange juice

In a medium-sized bowl, toss together the 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the berries, and the juice. Reserve on the side for when the batter is ready.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 9-by-13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut.
In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 cup sugar on high, stopping the mixer to scrape the bowl as needed. Beat until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes).
With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions buttermilk, and beat until combined. Stir in the lime zest and juice.
Pour batter into your prepared baking pan and spread it out with a spatula.
Scatter the berry mixture over the cake batter. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
recipe: Martha Stewart Everyday Food
 Enjoy this delicious summer cake and breath in the coconut smell while it’s baking. Smile Soon I’ll back home and catching you up on the rest of my days in Italy.

Thank you for stopping by! CIAO:)

Chef Dennis July 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

that coconut cake looks berry berry good!! I do love the smell of coconut in tanning oils!
Cheers
Dennis

Elizabeth Ann (Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box July 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Oh WOW! This looks incredible! ;-)

foodwanderings July 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love love these coconut lime berry cake. Ahahaha my blonde friends used to do that in Israel and apply something to their hairs too so the sun will bleach it to even bloder shade but it wasn’t coocnut oil lol. I didn’t cause five minutes n th esun and all you could c is bright white teeth.

Kathy July 12, 2011 at 6:56 pm

This is my kind of cake…I think I will make one this week. It has all my favorite ingredients. Beautiful! Enjoyed your post…way before you laid in the sun baking in coconut oil…I was doing the same thing with baby oil! Now I can’t stand to sit too long in the sun.

Foodafok July 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm

One of my favorite cookie. I really like.

Parsley Sage July 12, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Awesome cake! And I totally love the ‘poof.’ Only the coolest girls can rock it :)

Kathleen July 12, 2011 at 10:44 pm

This cake looks delicious! I love your story about laying in the sun all lathered up in coconut oil. That’s exactly how I spent my teenage years. To this day the smell of coconut takes me right back!

Elle July 12, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I used to do the same thing! Except I’m so white that I never tan. Just burn. So I had to quit doing that.

The cake is gorgeous and just screams summer time!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. July 12, 2011 at 11:26 pm

looks heavenly!

claudia lamascolo July 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Wow does this ever look awesome!~

Sinful Sundays July 12, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I love when a specific scent takes us back to a treasured moment in time. :)

Your cake look delicious and light and perfect for the summer!

Cher July 12, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Oh, the days of poofy bangs & not being afraid of the sun… (Except my tan was just a pinker shade of white…)
Those bars look pretty good…

Carolyn July 13, 2011 at 12:18 am

LOL, oh the idea that baking with coconut brings back those days of baking ourselves silly in the sun (did you also put lemon juice and/or SunIn in your hair? I sure did!).
But the cake looks wonderful, I could eat a whole pan!

sweetcarolinescooking.com July 13, 2011 at 2:10 am

This combination of flavors sounds heavenly. I’m in love! Must make this very soon. :)

Monet July 13, 2011 at 2:58 am

Hi Lora, boy this looks good. And coconut reminds me of my mom because she loves to tan, and she still uses coconut oil! Thank you for sharing this recipe with me. I hope you are having a blessed week, my friend. Much love!

Elin July 13, 2011 at 6:42 am

A great summer treat ! I must try this out…so very berry good. Haha good to hear about your coconut tanning story…it actually put a smile on my face :) Thanks for sharing with us your memories of your young days :) and the recipe ! Have a nice day Lora,
Elin

Jamie July 13, 2011 at 7:08 am

Oh too funny! Coconut oil also stirs up memories of Florida but sadly I was not one of the cool, leggy blond girls such as yourself and actually rarely went to the beach or lounged poolside since it bored me silly! But I do love a good coconut cake and with berries it is perfect!

Maris (In Good Taste) July 13, 2011 at 10:31 am

These photos are so helpful and really enticing! This is a perfect cake to enjoy all summer!

Pretend Chef July 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm

What I love the most about your posts is that your stories take me back in time. I can relate to similiar situations and it makes me smile. You had me at coconut. This sounds like a delicious summer treat. I need to try this sometime. Yummy!

The Vanilla Bean Baker July 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm

My oldest sister used to coat herself in coconut scented tanning oil when she was a teenager, today she nevers go out without sunscreen and a big hat.

Your post brought back some memories for sure and your summer cake looks scrumptious.

Evan @swEEts July 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

One of my friends is having surgery this weekend and she loves coconut.. this may have to be the dessert to brighten her day :)

A Thought For Food July 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm

This is my favorite kind of dessert… rustic, seasonal, and full of flavor. Beautiful job, Lora!

Tina @flourtrader July 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Just the batter flavors sound fantastic! The addition of fresh fruit really makes it extra special. Simply delicious

Kim Bee July 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Look delicious.

Pauline July 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I hide from the sun now but I don’t hide from coconut, love it!

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan July 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

The smell of coconut reminds me of the same thing! Sitting in the sun and talking about all the drama that comes with being a teenager. This cake looks phenomenal :)

Marnely Rodriguez July 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Oh wow, this looks so good! Coconut smells like summer, beach, Martha’s Vineyard. Sometimes, I slather on suntan lotion just to be inside and smell happy thoughts!

Erin July 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

HA!!! Oh the days of big bangs, and coconut oil tanning! This cake sounds delicious! I am on a fruit and lime kick, and this sound great!

kita July 14, 2011 at 1:09 am

What a cute post! I can totally see you sitting on the beach. This cake sounds great and the smell of coconut always transports me away to other places and times too :)

Sandra July 14, 2011 at 2:54 am

Was thinking about you this morning and wondering how you’re doing. Happy to see a post here and thrilled that it’s a yummy coconut cake.

Denise @ Creative Kitchen July 14, 2011 at 3:31 am

Love the memories you’ve stirred up…and I LOVE coconut! I keep a tube of coconut lip balm in my purse (and have since 2004) that I use for the sheer purpose of sniffing to take me to “vacation days/pre-kids.” I’ve never used it on my lips..it’s just there to use as a stress-reliever (aromatherapy!) :-)

scrambledhenfruit July 14, 2011 at 3:56 am

I love that coconut smell, even though when I was a teen baby oil was the frying medium of choice. That’s a beautiful, simple cake- just right for the summer berries so abundant right now. :)

baking.serendipity July 14, 2011 at 4:26 am

Did we all have those giant poof bangs? :) The smell of coconut always reminds me of summer. I love it! What a great cake :)

All That's Left Are The Crumbs July 14, 2011 at 6:32 am

Yep, the bangs, the latest issue of Dolly magazine, the oil, the hot summer’s day, the sunburn the next day – ah, memories. I’ll show my true colors and admit that coconut always reminds me of a pina colada. I am a real sucker for tiki drinks. Anyway, back to your cake – love, love, love the idea of these flavors together, and they are all items that I generally have in the house at any given time.

mellissina2 July 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Nagyon szeretném megkóstolni!!!! nagyon finomnak nézem!!!

Mari July 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Lora, I like the combination of flavors. If it tastes as good as it looks it is worth baking!!

Hugs

RavieNomNoms July 14, 2011 at 8:18 pm

That looks so good for summer time!! :-)

Lana July 14, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Lol! I remember those days! I still prefer the smell of old Coppertone, but the coconut oil was the essence of summers!
Great looking cake! I hope you are thoroughly enjoying every minute with the family! I am getting ready to go to Serbia on Monday, and I will wave to you from there:)

briarrose July 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Mmmm…coconut tanning oil….that scent takes me back.

What a beautiful cake….citrus and berries…so a tasty combination and so lovely.

Foodiva July 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm

The smell of coconut makes me think of my grandmother’s kitchen, and it’s so funny that your association back to your younger days couldn’t be any more different! This cake has the perfect flavor combo, btw. Love it!

Magic of Spice July 15, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I tried those sunbathing days myself, sadly I went from burned to severely burned :( Now it’s just 100+ sun block, lol
I do love the cent of coconut though and I really love this cake :)

Maureen July 16, 2011 at 2:53 am

Sunbathing was never for me but I will admit the smell of coconut reminds me of the beach. :)

This cake sounds devine!