Warm-Weather Vegetable Pot-au-Feu–French Fridays with Dorie

by cakeduchess on June 3, 2011 · 15 comments

potafeu

I realized when I saw Dorie Greenspan’s recipe for Warm-Weather Pot-au-Feu that soups are too often neglected in my kitchen. Even though I live in one of the hottest places on Earth, I just LOVE soup.

I love hearty soups and stews. I love simple and light vegetable soups. Dorie explains that a traditional pot-au-feu is a mix of hearty cuts of meat and root vegetables to be enjoyed in the winter.
Dorie encourages you to use whatever fresh vegetables you find at your market or even in your own garden. Don’t get me started on what I have in my garden! I mentioned before I was not blessed with a green thumb. My dear in-laws planted carrots, broccoli rabe, and zucchini (an actual zucchini that was smuggled in from Calabria) before they left in April. The zucchini is the only thing that is growing the way it should be!
My mother-in-law explained it’s a zucchini dolce; which I found out is chayote. It has started to grow vertically across my yard as she said it would. It has now snaked through the fence and the most lovely part is now in my neighbor’s yard. Gorgeous, big green leaves with their yellow flowers budding perfectly. I snuck over yesterday and snaked the end part of the plant back in the fence towards my yard.Winking smile
When I checked around my kitchen and refrigerator to see what I could add to this pot-au-feu, I was pleasantly surprised. I had new potatoes, scallions, baby spinach. I also found some nice asparagus stalks and fresh mushrooms. I pulled out the organic carrots and a little garlic. Dorie suggests you add a poached or soft-boiled egg to add richness to the lean broth. I decided to definitely add some poached eggs. My brother and mom and came by for lunch yesterday.
We enjoyed the soup with my new favorite white bread recipe. Crunchy pieces of white bread, a light bowl of soup with delicious vegetables, a chunk of Asiago cheese…my idea of a perfect lunch.Smile

bread
Check out what the rest of the French Fridays with Dorie group did here!

Thanks for stopping by!Smile Hope your weekend is FABULOUS.

Nana June 3, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I love the flowers from zucchini or pumpkins. They are simply
wonderful when coated with batter and fried. I grew pumpkins
many years ago just for the flowers to fry. Your soup looks
great and I’m sure it was delicious. Hubby and I enjoyed the recipe,
but Tricia did not. At least her family enjoyed it.

Marnely Rodriguez June 3, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Yum Lora, this looks great. I’m not a huge soup fan but add bread as a side dish and I will dip and eat happily! Yours looks fantastic! Chayote? Mmmmhm, not a fan but whatever floats your boat :P Happy weekend dear!

In Katrina's Kitchen June 3, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I love a good soup too! And that bread is gorgeous Girl!!

Chef Dennis June 4, 2011 at 12:04 am

your pot au feu looks so very very good! Dorie really knows her stuff and you certainly did her proud! Don’t even tell me about zucchini blossoms…..its been soooo long….sigh

Pachecopatty June 4, 2011 at 12:05 am

Yum, love this soup and you have me wanting another bowl;-) Enjoy your weekend!

Angie's Recipes June 4, 2011 at 4:55 am

This pot au feu looks terrific! I love your white bread dinner bun too.

Maris (In Good Taste) June 4, 2011 at 10:21 am

My idea of a perfect lunch also!

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite June 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Wow – and with home baked bread? You are amazing! This is a fab recipe and one I will use again and again…

Speckle of Dirt June 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Glad the Zucchini is growing well! The bread looks comforting!

Lizzy June 4, 2011 at 5:59 pm

LOL about your snaking zucchini. Hubby would want our zucchini to snake its way out of our yard into someone else’s…not a favorite of his :)

Your pot au feu looks amazing…as does your perfect loaf of bread. I didn’t mind eating hot soup on a sultry day, either…but I probably wouldn’t have had it not been a Dorie day. Have a lovely weekend, my friend~

Adriana June 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm

What a gorgeous loaf of bread! I’m heading right over there. I also get the illogical desire to eat soups at sweltering temperatures. That’s what comfort food does to one!

Cher June 4, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Lora – glad you were able to covertly rescue the wandering zucchini. The bread looks lovely – it’s always great to find a bread that doesn’t need too much lovin’ to get on the table for those times when you feel like taking it “easier”

Foodafok June 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

Very tasty and healthy food.

kitchenarian June 6, 2011 at 4:38 am

I know that bread was perfect with it. Last week it was so hot and the last thing I wanted to do was make soup, but I really liked it.

Magic of Spice June 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Lovely looking version of a favorite classic of mine :)