Strawberry Buckle

by cakeduchess on June 8, 2011 · 45 comments

buckle5
Summer is here. I know, it’s not officially here. But school is out. We are enjoying lazier days. Calm days without homework and a list of activities.

Slower days full of intense heat and promises of a cold glass of iced tea on the back porch. Happy days watching my kids playing sometimes in synch, and sometimes not so in synch. Catching up with good books I’ve been meaning to finish and new ones I can’t wait to begin.
berry
What’s with that strawberry? I’m not sure. I’ve never seen a Siamese strawberry before. My daughter was as fascinated as I was and took that photo.

I started blogging about baking and food last summer. It was something I had wanted to do for quite a few years. It was pretty simple to do, right? You bake or cook something. You photograph it and post it in your cute little blog. Then what? Then what happened was I found Twitter. I said my first, “Hello!” to the world of Twitter and a few people responded. Those few people were also food lovers. Talented photographers, thoughtful writers, and travelers. Encouraged and inspired, I was smitten by my new friends. The list was short and these were some of the people I first met on my food blogging journey: Paula, Brian, Ethan, Shulie, Ale, Deb, Barb, ElleJamie, Mardi, and  Ken. I consider myself lucky to have crossed paths with them.
We were scattered around the world, but connected almost every day to chat a little about our lives and our kitchens. We talked about what we were making and writing. We drooled over each other’s travel photos and meals. We shared a common interest and bond: A love of good food.  The list of friends has grown and I’m inspired even more by all the talent I’ve encountered.
One of the first recipes I posted was Deb’s Blueberry Buckle. I have to giggle when I look at my photography and writing last summer. I’m tempted to click delete on my Blueberry Buckle post. But I can’t! I have to leave it to remind me of where I started. I feel I’ve grown a little since then and hope to keep learning even more as time goes on.

My kids fell hard for this little cake and I’ve baked it too many times to remember since last summer. I’ve made it with every type of berry. My favorite way to make it is with strawberries.

buckle3
As soon as the calendar page turns to June, all I want to bake is Buckles, Betties, Pan Dowdies, and Pies. I can’t get enough of summer’s berries and neither can my family. This buckle recipe is simple to make and you can change in whatever berry you’d like and it will still be just perfect!buckle4

Strawberry Buckle
slightly adapted from Smith Bites Blueberry Buckle

Cake Ingredients
1/4 cup of butter softened
3/4 cup of sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup of milk (*this time I used buttermilk instead and it was AMAZING)
zest of lemon
2 cups of flour
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of strawberries (or blueberries, blackberries, a combo of them all even is great!)
Crumble Topping1/3 cup of butter, softened
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and flour 9 inch square or round pan. In a small bowl, add the flour, zest, baking powder and salt and whisk the ingredients.
Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the milk and egg; mix well. Add the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, salt; mix well.
Fold the berries in by hand.

Mix topping ingredients until crumbly. (This is Gabriella’s favorite part. She’s the official crumble mixer)

Spread cake batter in cake pan, sprinkle topping over batter and bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Maybe you have been dreaming of starting your own food blog. What are you waiting for!Smile Take the plunge and write. With or without photographs, write about your recipe. When you start writing, come on over to Twitter to say “Hi!” to all the other food writers. If you have recently started a food blog, who inspired YOU to do it?

Jennifurla June 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm

looks delightful, love the siamese strawberry!

Erin June 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Ha! I once found the most massive siamese strawberry at a U-pick farm. It was crazy and I ate it immediately! Which is also what I would do if a piece of this buckle were placed in front of me :-)

Nisrine M. June 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Delightful with a cup of coffee. Strawberries are beautiful right now and perfect for baking.

Kati and Sarah June 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

this looks very delicious! and perfect timing! I have bought LOADS of strawberries as no one was buying them here because of the Spanish Strawberry Scare so can’t wait to try the recipe!
(Your post also totally inspired me, so thank you! My friend and I started blogging earlier this year and are still finding our rhythm and our way – thanks so much for sharing!)
Sarah x

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow June 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Yum! Congrats to a great year and how far you’ve come!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 8, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Looks delicious! I’m not sure how I feel about that strawberry… I’m torn between devour it and it’s potential juiciness or toss it. Kind of scary lol

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom June 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Whenever I read your posts and scroll through the comments, I always realize how many food bloggers you inspire and befriend. We’re so glad you’re here.

I haven’t made it to a farmer’s market yet but this Saturday I don’t have to work so I’m making a date with myself to go buy berries and make a mixed berry buckle. Thanks Lora for sharing your thoughts about food & life.

Butrcreamblondi June 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

This looks beautiful and perfect for summer! I consider it good luck when I come across one of those Siamese strawberries :)

Tina June 8, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I need to get out to the market for some strawberries. This buckle looks delicious. Great step by step photos-thanks for sharing.

Maris (In Good Taste) June 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Strawberries are so great right now and this looks like the perfect recipe to make with them

Barbara | Creative Culinary June 8, 2011 at 10:05 pm

You are special to me too Lora and it’s beyond Twitter and I know you know that.

And this post made me smile…I love all of those old fashioned fruit desserts even if I don’t have a clue the real difference between a buckle and a pan dowdie. They do conjure up for me a vision of wagon wheels, stage coaches and cowboys though!

I love the recipe, adore you and know one day we’ll meet in the middle (wait, vacay in Arkansas? Maybe not). :)

Marnely Rodriguez June 8, 2011 at 11:00 pm

First of all, I need to say that I love crumbles, buckles, crisps and anything with an irregular butter-flour-sugar topping. I think someone should package it an sell the crumbs by the jar.

Second of all, love this recipe and even bookmarked it a while ago to make! Soon, soon! What inspired me? I’d been blogging (personal blog) for 5 years now and after a trip to Vegas, decided I needed to share all the amazing experience with the world!

So happy to have you in my Twitterverse! XOXO!

Amy June 8, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Looks delicious!

(your recipe says to use blueberries, not strawberries. Thought you might want to know.)

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Georgie June 8, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Lovely and perfect for summertime!

foodwanderings June 8, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Hey girlie, so happy to have you as a friend and thank you for the sweet mention!! You are the best. Your desserts including the strawberry buckle seem so effortless and delicious!! Wonderful job as always!! Love, Shulie

A Thought For Food June 8, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I’m honored to call you my friend, Lora. You always have the most delightful, drool-worthy desserts and this recipe is yet another example of your wonderful talent.

claudia lamascolo June 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

fabulous instructions!

SMITH BITES June 9, 2011 at 12:35 am

I am SO HAPPY that you said ‘hello’ on twitter!!! i cannot think of any other group of friends i love more than you and the others you’ve listed above Lora – this post makes me teary in such a good way. my life is much, much richer these days and YOU are part of that landscape my friend. i love your blog and even though i don’t leave you comments on each one, i’ve been here to see the work you’re doing – and it never ceases to amaze me. you are special Lora, don’t ever forget that!! (((hugs)))

Baker Street June 9, 2011 at 2:10 am

YOu’re wonderful lora. Really. And so is this strawberry buckle! :)

Ethan June 9, 2011 at 3:26 am

I consider myself the lucky one that our paths have crossed. You’re as sweet if not sweeter than the creations made with love from your kitchen.

Anna C June 9, 2011 at 3:29 am

Lora, you are a chip off the old block! You radiate such warmth,reaching out to people just like your mom does. I’m glad I’ve had the chance to discouver you through your mom’s blog.

Even though it’s not quite strawberry season here in Canada, I was delighted to buy some really tasty strawberries imported from “our neighbours south of the border” Now I’m tempted to pick up more to give your recipe a try. It looks delicious.

Aggie June 9, 2011 at 4:39 am

Love the Siamese strawberry :) I don’t think I’ve made a buckle yet, but I will. This is my kind of dessert :)

Pretend Chef June 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I enjoy your posts and you inviting us into your life and kitchen. It’s such a pleasure. I started my food blog after a few people asked for some recipes I had made and then decided to look into food blogs after learning what a blog was. Haha! I had to start one. I’m happy I did. It has provided me with a hobby for myself which is important being a stay at home mama. Itty Bitty just ate the last of our strawberries so this recipe gives me good reason to go out and buy more. Yummy!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm

This looks delicious! I’ve never seen a strawberry like that either!

Emily Malloy June 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm

My kneees just buckled!

DEEELISH!

Ma What's 4 dinner June 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’m always looking for new ways to use strawberries in the summer. I’ve never actually heard of a buckle…big cook, not such a big baker here! I have to try this. First time here. Can’t wait to come back again and look around some more. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What’s For Dinner

Chris June 9, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I *love* buckles, crumbles, whatever with berries, plums, apples, peaches, etc…yum!

What inspired me to start writing a food blog? My daughter’s best friend Christina got married, and didn’t know how to cook. I told her I would start a blog for her with recipes even SHE could handle. She took a picture of her first effort, sent it to me and it was a GOOD first effort :-) I had to laugh, because it was banana bread, and
I wrote “ripe bananas, you know the kind where you look at them and say ‘trash!’” She got GREEN bananas, and wondered why it was so hard to smush them LOL

So, my blog is called “Anyone can cook, even Tina!” :-D She’s gotten a lot better, and is a crock pot queen. I love her like a second daughter, and I’m so tickled she’s finally beginning to spread her culinary wings.

A Spoonful of YUMM ! June 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm

my love & passion for food , photography inspired me to start a food blog. made so many new friends….its great ! people i hardly know are giving tips and being so helpful. its a great feeling and very much appreciated !

Sanjeeta kk June 9, 2011 at 5:33 pm

That is quite interesting to know the story of your journey to blogging! I too met you and the others you have mentioned in the post through Twitter. It really feels good to chat and exchange notes about ones passion with others. food makes the world go round…Love you and glad to know you Lora :)

Ryan June 9, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I so agree that all I want to make are desserts that take advantage of this short lived berry season! This buckle looks and sounds delicious! I love strawberry desserts and can’t wait to try it!

Becky June 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm

You can never have too many strawberry recipes. This buckle is one that I had forgotten about, but will be making soon. Thanks for sharing.

Elle June 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm

What a sweet post! I’ve really enjoyed connecting with you, too, Lora. It’s amazing how Twitter and food blogs can connect so many people, all over the world. :) Thanks for including me in you list!

The buckle is lovely! I have to be sure to try it. I know the whole amily will love it!

Jersey Girl Cooks June 10, 2011 at 12:03 am

I love strawberry buckle.

Alessio June 10, 2011 at 12:38 am

Wow… 1y is gone already and it seems like yesterday :) Glad to have met you my dear, Twitter as brought many amazing people in my life and really bless the day I signed in!

Let’s share this Buckle together :-D

Betty @ scrambled henfruit June 10, 2011 at 1:10 am

Amazing strawberry! (I once found one that looked like a chicken.)Amazing buckle too. If I can get up early enough tomorrow before my kitchen gets hot, I’m going to try to make this for work. I bought a ridiculous amount of blueberries at the grocery store this week! I don’t tweet, but I have met many wonderful people through blogging- so much fun! :)

Kathy - Panini Happy June 10, 2011 at 3:10 am

I don’t know that I’ve ever tried a Buckle before, and I need to change that ASAP! It looks just marvelous. Wow, cool siamese strawberry!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 10, 2011 at 6:56 am

That’s one crazy looking strawberry! You know the berry season is never quite long enough is it.

Carolyn June 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I understand the temptation to delete old posts with lousy photos! But this strawberry buckle just makes me so hungry, looking at your gorgeous photos!

The Vanilla Bean Baker June 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Lovely looking dessert. Just love the fresh berry season and only wish it was a lot longer for us.

briarrose June 10, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Beautiful. This would be perfect for breakfast tomorrow.

Sue June 10, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I adore the generous amount of crumble topping on your buckle! It looks beautifully delicious! I need to revive my twitter account:)

Magic of Spice June 10, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Although I am allergic to strawberries, I get the appeal, and this buckle is fantastic!

Amy | She Wears Many Hats June 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm

This looks like pure summer! YUM!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) June 15, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I remember tentatively joining Twitter last year, too, and I’m so glad I did. It’s been a wonderful way to connect so many nice people–including you!-outside of our blogs. That said, I’m glad to have popped in for this. I can see why this keeps making an appearance in your kitchen. I bet it tastes as good as it looks.

mellissina2 June 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ezt nagyon finomnak látom!!!!!