Raspberry Picking with I Nonni

by cakeduchess on June 29, 2011 · 21 comments

There are too many wonderful things to write about from our trips to Italy. The obvious things like the incredible food, the fabulous views, the history I learned as a child and now get to teach my children. It’s the simple pleasures that stay in the forefront of my mind while we’re here in Italy.

My in-laws know how to grow vegetables and fruits. They have the magical green thumb I aspire to have one day. They know when to plant which seeds. They know how to care for what they’re growing that will eventually be food on their table. They freeze certain vegetables that grow while we’re not here in Italy for us to try.

Raspberries are part of their abundant garden. The kids love to go with Nonno Domenico and help him pick these juicy, sweet gems.

Teresa knows just what to do with the basket that overflows when the kids are finished picking them. We have raspberry sorbetto! It is refreshing on a hot summer day in Italy. Every afternoon around 4 PM we have a merenda: a little snack. If we’re not having a raspberry sorbetto, it’s another fruit flavor. Sometimes it’s orange sorbetto with oranges she freezes from Calabria. Yes, they are worth freezing for us. The flavor surpasses my dear Florida oranges.Winking smile

CIAO from Italy.SmileHope you are enjoying your Fourth of July weekend!

Kendra Bing July 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

Discover blogs, pics and videos you otherwise wouldn’t have at http://kendrabing.com. Or submit your blog postings to be part of the big collection.

Angie's Recipes July 3, 2011 at 11:35 am

Homegrown raspberries ;-)) How great!
Continue to enjoy your vacation in Italy!
Angie

SMITH BITES July 3, 2011 at 11:49 am

I am living vicariously thru you Lora – I can see and taste that wonderful raspberry gelato! One of my favorite things about Italy, was the lifestyle – 3hr downtime in the afternoons, dinner at 8pm and wandering the streets of Rome at midnight, taking in all the people and the nightlife. Happy 4th! (((hugs)))

thepickyeater July 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm

i’m loving your italy updates ! lovely :)

Marnely Rodriguez July 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Unbelievable! Definitely a garden everyone aspires to have, I am loving Italy through your eyes! xoxo!

foodwanderings July 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm

How absolutely adorable is that?! Enjoy the second leg of your stay in Italy. Happy long distance Happy 4th of July!! Mwah!

scrambledhenfruit July 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm

What a beautiful garden! And what precious memories are being made there. :)

Kate@Diethood July 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm

This is why I love Europe!! I’ll be in Macedonia in September doing the same thing…picking all kinds of fruits and veggies! :))
Looks like you are having a fantabulous time… enjoy yourselves!

Susan Lindquist July 3, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Mmmm! Raspberry sorbet ???? Delish! So glad you’re having such perfect weather and times with family! Love all your scenery shots and family photos!

EA Stewart July 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Such fun! Rasberry sorbetto sounds wonderful. I don’t have a green thumb yet either, but hope to have one soon :-) Hope you’re having a wonderful vacation!

The Vanilla Bean Baker July 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Your in-laws garden looks so boutiful. I do not have a green thumb and admire anyone who does. Enjoy the fruits and vegetables truly grown with love.

Ilke July 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm

That sounds like what we should do, a little snack around 4 :) How long are you guys staying? It seems like you guys went during a good time, bountiful produce time :)

Lana July 4, 2011 at 1:52 am

Are we crazy when we look forward to picking raspberries, and blackberries, and wild blueberries, and currants, getting scratched and bloodied, all along encouraging our kids to do the same? Yes, we are, and they will have wonderful memories for the rest of their life! nobody will be able to full them into enjoying a mutant piece of fruit when they tasted the sun-kissed jewel-colored raspberries from their grandparents’ garden.
Enjoy your stay as much as you can! Sending you big hugs and kisses from Southern California!

Liren July 4, 2011 at 3:01 am

Oh, my dream garden! How positively wonderful!

Roxana GreenGirl July 4, 2011 at 4:43 am

Lora, sounds like you’re having a wonderful time in Italy. Can’t wait to visit my family in few months.
Homegrown fruit and veggies are simply the best!!

Boulder Locavore July 4, 2011 at 9:43 am

Thanks for keeping us updated on your trip Lora! It’s a great ‘ride along’!

Kathy July 4, 2011 at 11:58 am

Lovely post! How nice that your children are enjoying their time doing such wonderful ordinary things with their grandparents! I love that they pick the berries and then get to enjoy the fruits of their labor with the sorbetto! Enjoy your visit!

Mari July 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Lora, those raspberries look extremely delicious!! I could imagine how exquisite is that raspberry sorbet you have for merenda! I am now in love with Italy :)

Hugs

Elizabeth Ann (Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box July 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm

SOOO fun! :-) Love seeing pictures from your trip! :-)

Lo-mo July 6, 2011 at 3:25 am

Those raspberries look so amazing! Mine are just starting to come in and I can’t wait!! I just adore fresh raspberries!

Magic of Spice July 9, 2011 at 1:23 am

How fun and what a wonderful experience for the kids :)