Orange Bread and Lake Como

by cakeduchess on June 27, 2011 · 20 comments

I could spend all day just staring at Lake Como. It is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen in my life.

My in-laws live a short drive from this incredible place and we like to visit sometimes to just have a gelato or to have some fantastic pizza!SmileThere is beautiful architecture and some really great shops! But I have to keep it real…I’m there for the GELATO.Smile
Italians have mastered the art of dolce far niente. They know how to find part in their day to have a chat with a friend. Slowly sipping an espresso and catching up on what has happened since the day before when they last met.
La Nuvola is my obsession! I found it at this pastry shop in Como. I tried to recreate it a few times. I probably am not using enough butter.Winking smileThey fill it with apricot jam and it is as fluffy as a nuvola (a cloud). For this version of the bread, I used Teresa’s homemade orange jam with oranges from Calabria. It was the most delicious orange jam I’ve ever had.Smile
DSCN7231DSCN7233
Orange Bread
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 envelope active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/3 cup sugar
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 3/4 cups flour
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

In a glass bowl, heat the milk and butter in the microwave until butter is melted.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, pour yeast over warm water.
Mix the orange zest into the sugar, using your fingers to release the oils and fully incorporate the zest.  Beat the sugar, vanilla, and eggs into the warm water and yeast until blended well. Add the salt, milk mixture and 1 cup of flour and mix well.

Add the remaining flour a 1/2 cup at a time until all the flour has been added and mixture is fully combined.  Place dough in a greased bowl and cover.  Allow dough to rise until doubled in size, about 2 1/2 hours.

Once dough has doubled, punch down and place on a floured board. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes, then rollout out into a rough 8 x 14 rectangle.  Spread the orange jam on the surface of the dough and roll into a log, starting with the short end.  Place dough seam side down in a well greased loaf pan.  Allow dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Brush top of loaf with egg wash of 1 egg and 1 tablespoon milk. Bake for 45 minutes until golden.  Allow to cool completely.  Store bread well wrapped at room temperature for up to 4 days

recipe adapted from Blue Eyed Bakers

Thank you for stopping by!Smile Hope you are having a WONDERFUL week! Until the next post…CIAO!!

Cait June 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

looks delicious :) great pictures too girl. i miss Italy- I was just there a few weeks ago!

claudia lamascolo June 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Your pictures are drawing me in, I feel like I am there with you, my dream trip awaits me!

Marnely Rodriguez June 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Woah, that dough looks sexy! Looove it! And loving your pictures! Happy travels dear! xoxo!

Elin June 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Looking at your orange bread makes me want to bake bread again :) Thanks for sharing those pictures of Italy and the recipe. Have fun !

hugs,
Elin

Alan Cooke June 27, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Holy Cow! That makes me want to buy a plane ticket to Italy sooooo bad. The wife and I are dying to go! =) Bread looks awesome too!!
@alanecooke

Pretend Chef June 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Makes me happy to see photos of your travels. This orange bread sounds delicious and looks beautiful. Yummy!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 27, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I’m completely jealous of your trip! And the bread nom nom nom I want a slice! lol

Elizabeth Ann (Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box June 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Lake como is one of my favorite places in the WORLD! :-) and italy is the ONLY place that has the BEST gellato! :-) It just isn’t the same anywhere else! :-)

Monet June 27, 2011 at 10:41 pm

A bread recipe and beautiful pictures of Italy…I couldn’t be happier! Can I come with you next time? Thank you for sharing with me today. I hope you are having a happy Monday! Much love and blessings from Austin!

scrambledhenfruit June 27, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’d LOVE to visit Italy. I’d also love to share this lovely bread with a friend while talking over my day. :) I’ll have to find some orange jam- or find a suitable substitute! :)

Sue June 28, 2011 at 12:20 am

I LOVE bread! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Lora, it sounds fantastic!

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom June 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Lora, I’m having my cup of morning coffee out on my patio so I can view your photos and feel like I’m on vacation too. Thanks for taking me along :] I’ve got to make your orange bread. Wish my MIL made orange jam. Tell Teresa she needs to start importing to the states.

The Vanilla Bean Baker June 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

The orange bread looks awesome. When my husband and I were in Venice we couldn’t help but notice how people gathered in the piazzas all over the city to mingle and enjoy a refreshing drink. The families especially, would all gather in the early evening, adults would chat and catch up with one another and children would run and play. It was so charming and made me wish that we had similar piazzas in Canada.

Lizzy June 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Oh, my, this looks fabulous…especially with your MIL’s jam! I haven’t been to Lake Como, but after just a few of your photos, I’m dying to jump on a plane and return to Italy!

Maureen June 29, 2011 at 5:05 am

What fantastic bread! I can’t wait to give it a try.

Your photos are as good as any travel site – I really want to visit. (The gelato sounds pretty good too)

Indie.Tea June 29, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Its stunning…as is the architecture surrounding it. Lovely!
And the orange bread sounds so delicious.

Baking Serendipity June 30, 2011 at 2:17 am

My husband loves the orange rolls that imitate cinnamon rolls. I imagine surprising him with this bread would go over well :) Your pictures of Italy are gorgeous! Hope you continue to enjoy your trip!

Sanjeeta kk July 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

How wonderful the bread look, never baked with orange zest spread like this in my bread!
And the lake side…I am inviting myself to your In-laws place for sight seeing and Gelato :)

Magic of Spice July 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm

These photos are amazing…what a gorgeous place! The orange bread looks wonderful as well :)
Be safe and enjoy!

mellissina2 July 2, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Gyönyörű az egész,szívesen eltöltenék ott egy hónapot.