Baked’s Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie

by cakeduchess on June 12, 2011 · 25 comments

tuscaloosapie1
I think everyone I know has a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Your favorite recipe may be your grandma’s or your mom’s recipe. No offense to those dear ladies…forget their recipes and make this pie. Make it now!

You may be in the midst of the most intense diet getting ready for bikini season. Forget the diet for a day and make this pie now!! Afterwards, do extra crunches. Do extra laps. It will all be worth it to eat this pie. Trust me! My kids keep asking me when I will make it again. I have to pace myself.

Baked’s authors explain in the book that this pie can be found in the South, but is not so common in other regions in the U.S.A. This is a true Southern gem.

tuscaloosapie2
It is like a giant chocolate chip cookie nestled in a buttery pie shell. I get teary eyed remember the last bite I had of it. I leave you with this wonderful recipe before I go on my trip!!

*I did use Baked’s pie dough recipe. I have to say, I prefer Martha’s Perfect Pie Crust recipe. Use that instead.

Baked’s Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie
1/2 recipe pie dough, chilled
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
1 tb whiskey (I used Southern Comfort)
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips

Perfect Pie Crust Ingredients:
pie crust recipe straight from Martha Stewart
*feel free to use a ready made pie crust
Yield: Makes 1 double-crust for a 9-inch pie
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons margarine or chilled vegetable shortening
1/4 cup ice water

Directions for Pie Dough:
Hand Method: In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt. Cut the chilled butter and margarine into 1-tablespoon bits and add to the flour. With a pastry cutter, work flour and shortening together until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the ice water little by little pressing the pastry together into a ball. Wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.

It is very important to work the pastry as little as possible. Don’t over handle. A secret to light, flaky pastry is to keep the mixture cool, add as little water as possible, and mix only as much as necessary.

Food Processor Method: Put flour and salt in bowl of machine. Cut butter and margarine into flour. Process a few seconds until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drop by drop add the water, processing very briefly.

The whole process would take 20 to 30 seconds. Wrap and chill the pastry for at least 1 hour.
If pastry has been chilled for a long time, let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before rolling.

Lightly flour a pastry board, marble counter, or kitchen counter. Divide the pastry in half. Pat each piece of pastry into a flat round. Lightly flour the rolling pin. Roll pastry in one direction only, turning pastry continually to prevent it from sticking to the surface.

Using pie plate as a guide, measure rolled-out pastry — it should be slightly larger than the pie plate and 1/8-
inch thick. Fold rolled pastry circle in half so you can lift it more easily. Unfold, gently fitting the pastry into the pie plate, allowing pastry to hang evenly over the edge. Carefully work it into the pie dish, folding the any overhang under and crimping the edge as you go.

Wrap and freeze the crust until firm, about 2 hours, or up to 3 hours. You can use the other pie crust for another pie.Smile

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

This is the Baked pie dough recipe. It was a little more sticky than the Martha pie dough recipe. I made it work.
Look! I made a silly smiley face with my pie dough.Smile

In a bowl, whisk together flour and sugars; set aside.
Fit an electric mixer with its whisk attachment, and beat eggs on high speed until foamy, about 3 minutes. Switch to the paddle attachment, and mix in flour and sugars on low. Turn mixer to high and beat for 2 minutes; add butter and beat on high until combined.
Scrape down sides, add whiskey, and beat on high for another minute, then fold in walnuts and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.

Pour filling into chilled pie shell, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the top, and bake for 25 minutes. Cover edges of crust with foil and bake for another 25 minutes; remove from oven when inserted knife or pie tester comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack completely (at least one hour) before serving.
We will be near Lake Como at my in-laws in Italy! I’m so excited to go back there. I will post some fun posts with food and scenery while we’re there. Come back and see what we’re up to in Italy! CIAO!
como 001

chefpandita.com June 12, 2011 at 2:53 am

What a great looking pie! I’ve wanted to make pie all week but its so hot and humid here I am playing with my ice cream maker. This looks decadent and delicious :) xoxo

Shawn June 12, 2011 at 2:55 am

Being from Alabama, I’m so proud and touched to see Baked’s Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie done on your blog :)

OMG!!! Travel to Italy is my fantasy but hopefully it will be a reality within the next 2 years. Have fun and I can’t wait to see what you guys are up to!

Maris (In Good Taste) June 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

This looks every bit as good as you say and is probably well worth a few extra laps!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 12, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’ve had tollhouse pie before, but never with whiskey in it:-)

Have an amazing trip to Italy, I can’t believe it was a year ago I was there for my honeymoon!

Jan June 12, 2011 at 11:50 am

I have never had a chocolate chip cookie pie! I’m pretty sure I’d love to have a cookie in pie-form. Just curious about why you prefer Martha’s crust recipe over the Baked recipe. I honestly haven’t tried either, but I was just wondering what the differences were that you noticed. I’ve been using a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe. Thanks :)

Pretend Chef June 12, 2011 at 11:54 am

I really love the fact that you saw your in-laws not too long ago and your family is headed their way now. Such a close knit family. I’m envious of that bond and your trip to Italy. George Clooney postcards? Haha! Can’t wait to hear and see all about your trip. Have a happy, healthy, and safe vacation!!! That pie looks stomach ache worthy. Haha!

Brenda June 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Oh my gosh, what an incredibly looking pie! I have the second cookbook, Baked Explorations, but haven’t had time to use it much but have loads of recipes bookmarked. Have a wonderful time you lucky girl!!!! Looking forward to pics and stories. Enjoy! :o)

Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini June 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Holy cow – I seriously want that pie…like right now! Forget that I just had breakfast – that looks amazing! Its going on my make soon list! Hope you have a safe and fun filled stay – looks beautiful!

Barbara | Creative Culinary June 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I feel like I need to say, ‘Yes ma’am’ you are so firm in your convictions! I’ve made a similar pie; we became friends when I lived in NC for ten years. It’s simple and simply amazing.

Have a great trip; glad you’re being gone this time is for a fun reason.XOXO

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 12:44 am

I’m getting all teary eyed just thinking about this pie, I can’t imagine how good it must taste! Have fun in Italy. xo

Lizzy June 13, 2011 at 2:13 am

Oh gosh, my family would love this one…I will have to put it on my list to try! Have a fabulous time in Italy, Lora…I know you and your MIL will produce some incredible baked goodies while you’re visiting :)

spcookiequeen June 13, 2011 at 5:47 am

This pie is too much, I love it. Have fun in Italy, I’m so jealous, but I will live through you. Safe travels, can’t wait to hear all about it.
-Gina-

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow June 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Oh wow! That looks so amazing! I want it now!!!!

Bestfoodies June 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm

The Hubby makes me chocolate chip cookies and milk a lot of nights to have with my medicine…(he is so awesome). Think I could talk him in to making this? Well that is if our daughter would stay out of the chips..she is always in them like a little “chip”monk….lol

Monet June 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Now this is how I want to enjoy my next cookie! I’ve been thinking of combining two of my favorite sweet treats…and now I just have to do it! Thank you for sharing another inspiring recipe, Lora. I hope you are having a bright and beautiful Monday and a wonderful time abroad. Hugs from Austin!

The Vanilla Bean Baker June 14, 2011 at 1:04 am

O.K., shoot me now! You made this pie, took off for Italy and didn’t even save me a slice :( Seriously, I’m glad that you did post the recipe before you left though…best wishes for a wonderful family vacation.

Susan Lindquist June 14, 2011 at 1:32 am

I literally drew in a shot of air when I opened this post … that pie looks just decadent! Such an awesome sweet treat! Certainly two days worth of gym workout to make up for the indulgence … but so worth it!

Junia June 14, 2011 at 3:45 am

my students would LOVE this! actually one of them made a cookie dough pie for our last day of classes!

Cookin' Canuck June 14, 2011 at 4:21 am

Lora, I hope you have a fantastic trip. You deserve a change of scene and some relaxation. In the meantime, this tollhouse pie would be perfect with a big glass of milk.

claire June 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

hope you have a great trip! looks gorgeous, as does this pie! :)

Jamie June 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oh lord now I am all teary eyed! Wow this is one killer, indulgent pie and next time they come begging for chocolate chip cookies they’ll get this! And oooh can I come to Italy too per piacere?

Elle June 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Have a lovely time! You enjoy Italy while I try to avoid making this evil pie. ;)

Lucia June 15, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Ma che meraviglia!!! Un dolce che è una gioia per gli occhi e per il palato (soprattutto)!!!

Sue June 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Yep, it’s like a giant, thick, rich chocolate chip cookie! I need to make one for sure! Italy looks beautiful, Lora!

Courtney January 15, 2012 at 4:55 am

Mine is in the oven right now. So excited about it! Thank you!