Sweet Tea Icebox Tart

by cakeduchess on May 23, 2011 · 39 comments

keylime2

Ever since I visited North Carolina a few summers ago on a family road trip, I’ve fallen in love with the states in the South. Of course, I live in the South. But it’s really not “the South” here. We don’t drink Sweet Tea and eat fried green tomatoes.
We don’t swing on our front porches and say “hi” to our neighbors passing by. We’re too busy swatting the Florida mosquitos.  I just read today Florida is the highest state in the nation with foreclosed homes. That means too many homes that used to have sparkly blue waters are now abandoned and are the breeding pools to mosquitos. Not the Southern charm I dream about!

I get my Southern fix each month when my Southern Living magazine arrives. Last month the issue was all about Sweet & Simple and delicious Southern tea recipes. I came across this gorgeous tart made with tea. The recipe uses 2 Tbsp. unsweetened instant iced tea mix dissolved with 2 Tbsp. of water. I used instead real tea that I made in the morning. I also decided to add some key lime juice I had on hand. It was a smart decision. The key lime juice overpowers the gentle tea flavor, and that was just fine with my guests. The gingersnap cookie crust is a little bit spicy with a perfect consistency. This tart will be a fixture in our house this hot summer!
keylime3
Summer is already here in South Florida. This is the perfect tart to eat after a hot summer day with an ice cold glass of sweet tea.

Sweet Tea Icebox Tart
Adapted from Southern Living (5/11)

Filling:
1/4 cup unsweetened tea
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup key lime juice (I used Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar

Gingersnap Crust
1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar

Whipped Cream-to garnish
1 cup whipped cream
3 Tbsp. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium sized bowl, add the tea and the sweetened condensed milk and whisk together.
Whisk in the key lime juice, the beaten eggs, heavy cream, and sugar until blended.
Place the Gingersnap Crust on a baking sheet; pour in the filling mixture.

Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes or just until the filling is set. Cool completely on a wire rack for about 1 hour. Cover and chill for 4-24 hours. Remove tart from pan and place on a serving dish.
Gingersnap Crust
1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
In a food processor, pulse the cookies until they are a fine crumble. Pulse in the butter and the sugar a few times. Press the cookie crumble into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
Thanks for stopping by! I have some EXCITING things coming up this week!!SmileA giveaway and some more delicious food!!

chefpandita.com May 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Love the idea of flavoring it with tea, the dark crust looks beautiful against the light colored filling and that lime zest on top Mmmm Beautiful tart :) Happy Monday Bella! xoxo

Marnely Rodriguez May 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I see your Sweet Tea and up it one more word. Sweet Tea VODKA.

The Vanilla Bean Baker May 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

This tart looks so good and refreshing. Makes me want to get a subscription to Southern Living!

p.s. don’t even get me started on the mosquitos!

Jill Colonna May 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This looks just gorgeous and love the combo of flavours with the gingery crust and lime. You mean you don’t eat fried green tomatoes? ;-) Your comments are too funny.

Roxan May 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Oh Lora, this tart looks so delicious and refreshing! I love key lime flavored foods… I had some key lime frozen yogurt last week that was just heaven! I would so love to try some of this tart..

Can you believe I’ve never been to Florida before? I’ve been to Louisiana though… that’s about it when it comes to my exposure to the south. I’d love to visit there more though.

Shawn May 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

That tart looks so good! I’ll have to give it a try :)

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} May 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I wish I could buzz the heck out of this! Holy yumness!!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow May 23, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Yum! That looks wonderful! I am jealous of your access to key limes!!

Diethood.com May 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Lora, that is beautiful!!! The flavors, the looks…everything about this tart is just incredible.

Maria May 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

What a refreshing dessert!

Jeannie May 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

That tart sure looks good! The crust is something different from the norm! I like!

Jan May 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I love iced sweet tea, so I can only imagine how good this must be! I’m bookmarking this recipe :)

The Mom Chef May 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I recognized that tart immediately. I had it tabbed to make, but now I think I’ll just send people your way because you’ve done it justice in a way I couldn’t. It’s beautiful. I love the idea of the key lime juice too, though I’d have to make it without (at least the first time) since it’s not in the original recipe.

Karen May 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm

What a gorgeous tart, Lora! I don’t think I’ve ever tried sweet tea, but I’m sure it’s fantastic in this dessert. I had to laugh about the swimming pools turning into mosquito pools. Ugh…how awful!

A Thought For Food May 23, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I have to agree with Marnley… the sweet tea vodka would work wonderfully! But this looks magnificent.

Angie's Recipes May 23, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Lora, the tart looks so pretty! A perfect summer time dessert.

Maris(In Good Taste) May 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

This is what I call a perfect tart!

Terra May 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Oh my gosh!!!!! I love love keylime, this is such a fun mix of flavors. So beautiful:-) I have lived in the South for only a year, and already adore the Carolinas! The people are so friendly, and the food is AMAZING!
Hugs, Terra

Dulce Dough May 23, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I love the gingersnap crust–such a pretty contrast and I bet it tastes amazing! We will soon be headed to FL for vacation! It is funny that FL is south of “The South” but FL just isn’t southern!

Amy May 24, 2011 at 1:35 am

Lora, this tart is beautiful! I love that you have used gingersnaps in the crust instead of graham crackers, I have always preferred them! The idea to give a key lime tart the flavor of tea is genious as well, this screams summer! Hope you have a wonderful week :)!

Reeni May 24, 2011 at 1:39 am

I never used tea in dessert before! I love how you added the lime and I bet the gingersnap crust adds a ton of flavor. It’s like a spicy, citrusy tea in a dessert! So different – in a good way. xoxo

Monet May 24, 2011 at 2:04 am

Oh this tart looks almost as pretty as you :-) I’m sorry we played phone tag a few weeks ago. I’m doing so much better, and I want to talk to you soon! I’ll try giving you a ring tomorrow. I can’t wait to give this recipe a try. Thank you so much for sharing this deliciousness…I hope you have a wonderful evening. Hugs from Austin!

baking.serendipity May 24, 2011 at 4:31 am

Sweet tea (and peaches!) are my favorite part(s) of the south. My family brewed their own sweet tea growing up, but it didn’t compare to what we get on vacation in the Carolinas! I’ve never seen tea used in baking like this before…but I like it :)

Roxana GreenGirl May 24, 2011 at 4:38 am

Don’t get me started on mosquitoes. my summer nightmare.
I saw the tart in may’s Southern Living issue. Love your lime twist on the original recipe.
Thanks for sharing Lora

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels May 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Oh my does this look sooooo good. I want to eat the whole entire thing. I love that you added key lime juice to the pie and that the crust is made of gingersnap cookies. :) YUM!!!

Lemons and Anchovies May 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I don’t need to channel my southern roots (grandfather from Tennessee) to love this. I’d enjoy this any day in the comfort of my northern California home.

PS: I’m allergic to mosquito bites–think large welts–so I’m sad to be seeing them around here, too.

Tina May 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I used to live in Florida and remember those horrible palmetto bugs all too well!
Thanks for posting the delicious icebox tart recipe, it looks quite refreshing and the use of tea is unique.

Foodiva May 25, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I’ve been to Florida once but didn’t remember swatting any mosquitoes. I did remember eating a heavenly slice of key lime pie, however, and your version flavored with tea sounds even more delicious! And oh, who doesn’t LOVE sweetened condensed milk? Wonderful-looking tart, Lora!

Aggie May 26, 2011 at 1:43 am

What a cool pie! Sweet Tea Pie??? I have to make this for my family.

I’m totally with you, I don’t always feel in the south. And I think I need to resubscribe to Southern Living, one of my all time favorite magazines. And looking through it always made me feel like swinging on a porch swing :)

DessertForTwo May 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

What a cute Southern dessert :)

Lizzy May 26, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Lora, what a stunning tart! It screams summertime to me…and I’d love a yummy slice…or two :) I may just have to make a whole one for myself! Have a wonderful holiday weekend~xo

Sue May 28, 2011 at 7:00 am

This looks SO good, Lora! Love the gingersnap crust~yummy!

Zoe May 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Lora, this looks delicious! I just picked up the June issue of Martha Stewart Living and there is a recipe for Strawberry-Lemonade Icebox Pie. I want to try both this summer! :)

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane May 29, 2011 at 8:42 am

Wow, this is amazing, iced tea sounds like a fantastic idea. I’ve never visited America (North or South) but I would if I could try something like this! Love the lime flavours too :)

Magic of Spice May 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm

What a refreshing flavor for a tart, and gorgeous as well! This is a perfect Summer treat :)

shocolaate June 3, 2011 at 3:36 am

Love this! I have to try this Gorgeous
thanks for sharing!

ShocolaateMama

Elle June 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Wow! That’s gorgeous! Love the addition of lime. You should put up a bat house and see if you get any residents. They only come out at night, but they eat tons of mosquitoes.

Annie October 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I finally made this and it is delicious! Just the right combination of sweet and tang.

Only change I made was to add some lime zest and used a pre-made graham cracker crust.

I also found I had to cook it a little longer, about ten more minutes as the middle didn’t quite set.