Chewy Molasses and Chocolate Chip Bites and My Groove

by cakeduchess on April 22, 2011 · 26 comments

chewymolasses
Hi! Ciao! How are you?? I miss you all!I know I owe you an explanation. It’s all very simple to explain. You may be wondering where I’ve been. My readers. My sweet blog and the blogs I love reading. I’ve neglected you all.

I started baking again. It had been weeks since I baked. But a lovely thing happened. I got my baking groove back. It feels so good. It’s sort of like riding a bicycle. I just put on my little apron and it all came back to me. I have to shove my mother-in-law out of the kitchen to do my thing, but I’m doing it. Little by little.
Mixing cake batter. Rolling out the crostata dough. Well, I can’t really roll out dough because I can’t exert my stomach muscles just yet. But I can mix the dough together. My mother-in-law is still my official roller.
So that’s the easy explanation of where I’ve been. I’ve been baking and watching my mother-in-law bake and cook. I’m learning her cherished recipes from Italy. It’s very time consuming documenting it all as she moves at lighting speed and makes all her recipes by heart and by eyeing it. Also, all the ingredients are in grams. Challenging, but not impossible to conquer.

chewymolasses2
These adorable molasses bites were the first thing I decided to bake. There is something strange and delicious about the flavor of molasses. The Brits call it treacle. The Japanese call it kuro mitsu – which translates to black honey. Americans usually use it to make baked beans or gingerbread.

I still don’t know how to explain what it is to my mother-in-law. She has never seen molasses before. In Italian it is called melassa. She still has no clue what it is. But she likes it. She liked the little molasses bites claiming they were, “Buono. Buono.”

The chewy little bites are moist and not too sweet. The addition of chocolate chips pairs wonderfully with the nostalgic sweet flavor of molasses.

Chewy Molasses and Chocolate Chip Bites
slightly adapted from Everyday Food March 2011

1 3/4 cups all-flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsulfured molasses
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, to coat

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Spray the paper with baking spray.

In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
On a medium speed beat the butter and the granulated sugar until it is pale and fluffy.
Add the molasses and egg whites and beat until the mixture is combined.
Turn the mixture to low speed and add the flour mixture in small portions until combined.
With a spatula, scrape down the sides and make sure to fold all the flour bits together into the batter.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer your batter to your parchment lined baking pan.
Bake approximately 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
When completely cooled, lift out the parchment paper and cut the cake into 1 1/2-inch squares.
Add a 1/2 cup of powdered sugar into a zip lock baggie. Add the squared a few at time into the baggie and shake until each square is completely coated.

Enjoy!

I will have more time to leave comments once my in-laws leave and I have more energy. After the kids would fall asleep I would spend a couple hours reading and leaving comments on my favorite blogs or new blogs that I happened upon. Exhaustion and healing has gotten the best of me and I now look forward to early bedtime every night. If you don’t hear from me, please know that I am reading your delcious posts and they are entertaining me these days. I am thinking of you often, my sweet friends.

I hope you are having a wonderful week! I adore you all and thank you for your awesome comments! Are you baking something special for Easter?

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow April 22, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Yum! Those look delicious. Welcome back! I am so glad you are getting your groove back

Marnely Rodriguez April 22, 2011 at 2:11 pm

These look great! Anything covered in powdered sugar is perfect in my book!

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite April 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm

SO GLAD you are getting your groove back Lora! these look delicious – a wonderful “first recipe” to bake after a break. Please keep on healing and getting stronger again. We’ll all still be here for you when you are ready to be back to your old self again! Have a wonderful Easter!

Pegasuslegend April 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Glad to see you back! Sounds like your doing better? These little gems are awesome Buono Pasqua to you and your familia~ & inlaws

Jennifurla April 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Yah, get that baking groove on. These look scrumtious.

Roxan April 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Lora, these look so good! Especially covered in all that powdered sugar. Yum :)
Have a beautiful weekend!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking April 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Oh my gosh, Lora, these little molasses bites look great! There’s nothing more I start craving in the springtime than the warm, cozy flavors reminiscent of winter… What can I say? I’m a cold weather girl :) Thanks for sharing this delicious creation, lovely lady. Happy Easter to you and your family! :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I’m so glad you are back!

Chef Dennis April 22, 2011 at 9:40 pm

its so good to see you back in action Lora! and you know sometimes I feel like I have been living under a rock, I didn’t know that treacle was molasses! I see it at the store all the time.
you sure made good use of your molasses and the chocolate chips sound like the crowning touch!
thanks for coming back with such a delicious recipe
Dennis

Sandra April 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I so happy that you are back…I can’t wait to see what else you have sweet for us hahaha(I prefer Nutella sweet)
These look wonderful and really delicious! Great recipe and photos! Thanks for sharing and again welcome back!!!

baking.serendipity April 22, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I’m excited to see the results of your baking groove :) These look fantastic! PS: I have a fun giveaway going on right now…stop by and check it out!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. April 23, 2011 at 12:05 am

These look SO good

Lizzy April 23, 2011 at 12:26 am

Oooh, this looks like a wonderful treat…I love the magic molasses brings to my baking…and with chocolate chips??? Wow. So good to see a new post from you…your MIL stories make me laugh…what fun you are having baking together. Can’t wait to see some Italian sweets you’ve created together. Happy Easter!

Jan April 23, 2011 at 12:56 am

These are awesome! What issue of Everyday Food were they in? They look so good!

Cookin' Canuck April 23, 2011 at 2:36 am

One of my husband’s favorite cakes from childhood is a molasses cake. I think he would be very happy if I made him these pretty treats.

Pretend Chef April 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm

These sound so delicious. When I think of molasses it reminds me of my mama baking. When she’d use up the last of it she’d add some milk and shake the glass jar really well and have us drink it as a treat.

Amy April 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Lora these sound delicious! I love molasses anything and combine it with chocolate then you have a winning combination! Have a wonderful Easter :)!

Victor April 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Welcome back! I never use molasses in cake. These are some lovely treats.

My Man's Belly April 23, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Welcome back and I’m glad you’re getting into your groove again.

I too love that strange flavor molasses adds to things, so these look perfect for me.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen April 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Glad you found your groove! This looks like a fantastic treat!

The Healthy Apple April 24, 2011 at 12:07 am

Love this recipe…looks amazing…happy to hear you’ve found your Groove. Enjoy your Easter!

Paula April 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

You never lost your groove, it was on a mini hiatus. Lovely way to kick-off your *new season*. Glad to know that your MIL is still able to be with you, what a treasure.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen April 25, 2011 at 6:47 am

Good to hear you’re bake in the baking mode. Take advantage of your mother in law helping you in the kitchen while you can, it must be nice to have an extra pair of hands around.

kitchenarian April 26, 2011 at 12:19 am

It’s so nice to know that you are back in the kitchen doing what you love – whipping up delectable treats. Continued wishes for your recovery.

Winnie April 26, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Glad you are on the mend and baking again :) Love the idea of you learning your MIL’s recipes and these look just delicious.

Elle May 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’m so happy to hear you’re getting back into the kitchen! These look and sound lovely. Can I borrow your mother in law, by the way? :)