Scallops with Caramel-Orange Sauce-French Fridays with Dorie

by cakeduchess on March 25, 2011 · 37 comments

scallops

I was intrigued immediately by this recipe when I saw it involved a caramel sauce. I have never made scallops with a sweet orange sauce. Food that are aigre-doux, agro-dolce, sweet-sour…doesn’t matter what language you want to say it in…I’m a lover!

I had a difficult time getting my hands on my Around My French Table Book to look up the recipe that is on page 317. You see, my mother-in-law has taken a huge liking to this gorgeous book in the last couple of days! Seeing that she doesn’t speak/read/write a word of English, I have been translating recipes for her. She has bookmarked quite a few recipes: the roulade, the orange tart we made before, a sauce that she wants to try with fish. Teresa is in love with this book! Maybe Dorie will have an Italian printing soon and I will get one for Teresa the next time we are in ItalyWinking smile.

You may already know, the French Fridays with Dorie group does not post the recipes. We encourage you to give this lovely book a chance! You can find a copy here at Dorie’s site and you can also join the fun with French Fridays with Dorie!

What was it like trying to cook with my mother-in-law around? It was a little challenging. Honestly, she did give me room to do my recipes. She was even offering her assistance like shouting out, “Your sugar is about to burn! What are you doing with this sugar?” And she was asking, “Are we eating these scallops with pasta?” The sugar didn’t burn and we didn’t have any pasta. We did have her homemade bread and we did dip its tender crust and fluffy insides into this tangy sauce that had just the right amount of sweetness. We enjoyed every drop of this incredibly simple and tasty sauce.

Then on to the photographing. My father-in-law was standing right where I was no matter where I went. He was eyeing the scallops and wondering why in the world I was photographing it!? My mother-in-law was once again very helpful! She offered assistance with lighting. She kept telling me it looks “perfetto!” She told me to pose it next to our Christmas poinsetta, “Dai! Vicino la stella di Natale e’ piu’ bello.” Yes, it is prettier by the poinsetta but Christmas was more than 3 months ago!

My mom called to ask why I only have one photo. Usually have more than one to show off how yummy a recipe is. I explained to her what my process was like today to get to this quick post.

My in-laws think I’m always photographing and on the computer. Teresa thinks I shouldn’t be giving my recipes away for free. She says it’s crazy and that people should be paying for them. Teresa said that this Dorie lady is smart and doesn’t give away her recipes!

Teresa even said she has plenty of recipes ready for me to do a cookbook and that then we can make money. Food for thought. Italian food for thought. One never knows what the future holds…maybe an incredible Italian cookbook filled with my mother-in-laws creations?

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite March 25, 2011 at 5:53 pm

LOL at your mother in law hogging the book! I totally get that – I bought one for my own mum and sent it to her in Australia because I got sick of her asking for the recipes!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow March 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Yum! Sounds delicious! I love scallops!

Carolyn March 25, 2011 at 6:16 pm

They look great, Lora. I so wish my husband liked scallops, but I just can’t get him to eat them!

Evan @swEEts March 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Oh I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE scallops.. I would never think to make them in a sweet and sour kind of sauce, but it sounds delicious!

The Mom Chef March 25, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I’m a huge fan of scallops as well and these look fantastic. I have the cookbook but even though I’ve read it from cover to cover at least twice, I’ve not made anything from it yet! Every time I see your Friday dish, I think I need to do this. So many recipes; so little time.

Candy (Dulce) March 25, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’m so happy that you enjoyed these! And what a great idea to have with the spinach. YUM!

And how fun that your mother-in-law has fallen in love with the cookbook too! Great story.

bakingisapieceofcake March 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Oooh, your plating looks very nice with the spinach.

Pacheco Patty March 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm

We loved the sauce on the sea scallops too;-)
Luckily no one has tried to take off with my book but maybe I should start hiding it,lol;-)

Michael Toa March 25, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Yum. I love scallops and the caramel-orange sauce sounds so delicious with the delicate flavours of scallops. :)

Becky March 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Your scallops are gorgeous! My husband and I love scallops, so we’ll have to try these, when I get the cookbook. It’s on my wish list!

Dessert By Candy March 25, 2011 at 8:40 pm

How wonderful that you’ve been translating the recipes for your MIL! Glad everyone enjoyed the scallops.

Roxan March 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm

My husband and i have been eating less and less meat lately also! These scallops would be perfect for us… Maybe I should get ‘Around My French Table’ too? I thought it would be really meat laden so i never looked into it. I’m glad to see some lighter dishes in there.

Kathy March 25, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Enjoyed your post! Your dish looks so lovely…your paring of the spinach looks great! You should put a translate button on your site, then your mother-in-law will be able to read your posts. Enjoy your visit!

Lizzy March 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I laughed my way through your whole post, Lora…I can just imagine the questions I’d have with my in-laws visiting. How fun that your MIL loves cooking, too…and I know you could make $$ with your recipes :) Enjoy the rest of their visit…oh, yeah, it also cracked me up that your mom called about only one photo…she’s so sweet!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels March 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Your mother in law is SO hilarious!! And your father in law is too funny about the poinsetta. I swear I couldn’t stop laughing, I wish I could have been there. :)
I don’t eat scallops but your meal looks absolutely beautiful! :) The only time I’ve ever had something close to scallops was when the chefs at the Foodbuzz Festival decided to give all the people who don’t eat meat (or people pretending to not eat meat to avoid the lamb lol)..tofu shaped like scallops! LOL!

twistedkitchen March 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm

That looks so tasty! I wish I could eat scallops!

Sandra March 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Here for support..:) I don’t like Scallops!
Your photos are beautiful and very tempting…I will imagine it is chicken LOL!! Great recipe, will try to make it for my hubs..

Karen March 25, 2011 at 11:33 pm

That is too funny! Sounds like you’re having a great time with your in-laws. And the scallops sound delicious!

Adriana March 25, 2011 at 11:33 pm

My MIL also looked through my cookbook – it’s a fixture in my coffee table – but from the pictures she thought she couldn’t pull off the recipes. If she only knew! Teresa sounds wonderful!

saffronandhoney March 26, 2011 at 12:53 am

Love the story that went along with the cooking :) and you obviously made a crown-pleasing dinner! I would have mopped up the sauce with bread as well, if there were more of it!

Reeni March 26, 2011 at 1:40 am

So funny! And sweet. Your scallops look wonderful! Enjoy your visit!

Cher March 26, 2011 at 1:43 am

Too funny. Glad you are having fun with it, though. I guess what we do to write about food would seem a little odd to a lot of people :-)
Your lone photo is lovely…

Betsy March 26, 2011 at 2:22 am

Cute post! Enjoy your in-laws’ visit!

Fresh and Foodie March 26, 2011 at 2:54 am

What a unique recipe!

Not many people understand our blogging ways. Oh well…at least we’ve got each other!

Ron T. O. Geezer March 26, 2011 at 3:50 am

This sounds like something my wife would like. I’ll be sure and pass the info on to her. Thank you :-)

BTW, thanks for visiting my blog. If you want to read more of my posts look under: – POPULAR POSTS & WEBSITES located just below the comment bar and click on a topic you find interesting. Thanks for asking :-)

~Ron ronj1946@gmail.com

Angie's Recipes March 26, 2011 at 6:07 am

Anything with caramel must be good and not to mention it has scallops involved!

Tücsök Bogár March 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Hello!
Szeretnék valamit továbbadni Neked! Kérlek kukkants be hozzám!

sanyaliving.com March 26, 2011 at 12:22 pm

You made me laugh! Sounds very similar to being with my Yugoslav family!
I didn’t think of spinach what a great idea! Beautiful photos!

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom March 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

You totally need to do the cookbook with your MIL! Or start a new blog called Recipes from My MIL :)

The Borders Books near me is closing and everything is on sale so I really must go look for Dorie’s book. This recipe finally tipped the scale.

Kate @ Diethood.com March 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm

LOL @ father-in-law hovering over you! I love it! My in-laws also live in Europe and it really is hilarious when mom-in-law and I meet up in the kitchen.

We loved this dish – I finally got the book, 3 days ago, and I made this last night for dinner… that sauce was finger-licking good. I served this with brussels sprouts and I think they were a great compliment to the scallops.

tricia s. March 26, 2011 at 11:50 pm

This was hilarious. Anyone with an extended family (Italian or not :) can relate I am sure. No matter how chaotic it gets…you end up with wonderful memories. And you got a great meal too. We enjoyed it as well. Thanks Dorie !

Susi's Kochen und Backen March 27, 2011 at 2:35 am

Lora your in-laws sound adorable! I could see my German mom acting just like that :o) The recipe sounds very interesting, but the fun you had making this recipe will pop into your head every time you look at this recipe now :o)

onewetfoot March 27, 2011 at 5:09 am

That’s a wonderful story – I finally had to tell my sister-in-law to buy the book for her mother, as she was asking me for each of the recipes I’ve made from Around My French Table. My mother’s content to have me cook from it for them occasionally. Spinach would be lovely with this dish.

chefpandita.com March 28, 2011 at 5:44 am

Your MIL reminds me of my mom. She doesn’t understand why I blog and “waste” my time taking pics and posting recipes for free… oh well :) that cookbook with your mother in law sounds promising. Family recipes are the best!

claire March 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

it is 9 am and these have my moth watering…

Have fun with your inlaws!

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com March 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Love scallops and these look wonderful! Love the agro-dolce as well. Nice photo, btw. (Adam won’t let the in-laws in the studio when we’re working!)

Magic of Spice March 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm