Savory Tart with Potatoes, Feta, Onions and Thyme- for Kelly Confidential

by cakeduchess on March 23, 2011 · 45 comments

tortasalata
Foodbuzz and Electrolux have teamed up together for a Top 9 Tea Party Takeover. Featured Publishers were asked to create a tea party themed recipe before March 23rd and for every recipe created, Electrolux will donate $50 towards Ovarian Cancer Research.

It’s wonderful that not only Featured Publishers are given an opportunity to help raise money but YOU can also help out this amazing cause! Just visit the Kelly Confidential site and pick out the perfect tea party outfit for Kelly. Each time you choose an outfit, Electrolux will donate $1 to Ovarian Cancer Research. Please take a minute of your time to help out this incredible cause!

This is a cause that is important to me as my maternal grandmother had ovarian cancer and eventually died from it. I never got to meet my grandmother Anushka as she died right before I was born. That’s her on the right, my mom in the middle, and my grandfather on the left.
grandmother 001
I couldn’t resist creating a couple of recipes for a cancer that affects many women. I made scones and I also made a savory tart. I figured if there was going to be a tea party, we should have a little sweet and savory!
savorytart
I will post the recipe for scones another day next week! They are a delightful lemon based scone. That tea set is from my childhood! It was made in Japan and my mother saved it for me to pass on to my children. Gabriella just recently found it hidden in her room and has been having tea parties with Luca. It’s amazing to see something that brought me such joy now bringing happiness to my children. We sat outside in the garden and enjoyed our tart and scones. We had real tea and we laughed and told stories. It was a lovely afternoon.
teaset
On to the savory tart!! It’s delicious! I used my one pie crust recipe. I have become very comfortable in making my own pie crusts and have not bought a refrigerated pie crust in a long time. I also happen to know that the refrigerated pie crusts are a perfect substitute for a homemade pie crust!

Savory Tart with Potatoes, Feta, Onions, and Thyme
slightly adapted from Cooking Light
1 tablespoon oil
2 1/2 pounds onion, sliced
4 small potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
14.1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup grated  Asiago (or Parmigiano Reggiano)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 package refrigerated pie dough (I made my own dough. Please don’t hesitate trying this recipe with a store bought crust. Those crusts are also just fine!)

For the crust:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup (a stick and a half) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1/2 cup of all-vegetable shortening (8 Tbsp.)
6-8 Tablespoons ice water

Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor; pulse it one time to mix. Add the butter pieces and pulse 4 times. Add shortening one tablespoon at a time and pulse each time you add a tablespoon. The mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal, with butter bits no bigger than peas. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of ice water over flour mixture one tablespoon at a time. Pulse once after you add each tablespoon of water. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it’s ready. If the dough doesn’t hold together, keep adding water, a tablespoon at a time, pulsing once after each addition, until the mixture just begins to clump together.

Clean off your counter really well or use a pastry board or a nice cutting board. Flour your hands generously. Take the dough out of the food processor. Tilt the rolling pin and sprinkle it with flour as you rotate the rolling pin. Divide the dough into two balls and flatten each into a 4-inch wide disks. Sprinkle a little bit of flour on each disk and then wrap both separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before rolling.  When you are flattening the disks, you are not working the dough. You are just simply flattening the shape into a disk. If you are making the pie that day, make sure you refrigerate for at least an hour. It can stay for up to 2 day in the refrigerator.

When it is time to roll the dough out to make my pie, I take it out of the refrigerator and I usually let my dough sit out for about 5 minutes before rolling. It’s hot here in Florida. Doesn’t take more than 5 minutes to get to the perfect rolling temperature.

Using a rolling pin, apply light pressure while rolling outwards from the center of the dough. Every once in a while you may need to gently lift under the dough.
    Roll dough out on a floured surface till dough is about 1/8″ thick

When the has reached the right size, gently fold it over your rolling pin and transfer to the parchment paper lined baking pan.

Make the Savory Tart:

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper; cook approximately 20 minutes.
    Sprinkle the feta and other cheese in the center, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border; to a leave a 1 1/2 inch border around the edge.
    Spoon on the potato/onion filling on top of the feta and other cheese in center.
    Fold the border around the filling and make cute pleats. Leave the center open. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on the top and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Brush the pleated dough with the beaten egg.
    Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for about 10 minutes.
    If you need a different dinner idea, this savory tart is wonderful served with a mixed salad and maybe even a very nicely chilled glass of white wine. Smile

My in-laws have just arrived from Italy and we have been busy baking and cooking! My mother-in-law packed a suitcase filled with Italian products: pasta, cookies, cheeses, Limoncello, her own olive oil, olives…my jaw dropped! She wanted to bring us a piece of home and we are truly blessed!  Expect to see a future guest post with Teresa. She moves so quickly in the kitchen! I hope to get some good photos of one of her incredible creations!

We’re going to be taking some nice walks on the beach like we did yesterday with Nonna Teresa. This is paradise after coming from months of snow in Northern Italy!
    THANK YOU for stopping by! Hope your week is wonderful! I always appreciate your support and comments!Smile

If you already have voted for me on Babble, thank you so much! If you haven’t, I’ve been nominated for Babble Top 100 Food Mom Blogs! Click here and “like” me under alphabetical order:

Thank you for taking the time to do that for me!!

Denise March 23, 2011 at 2:32 pm

That savory potato onion tart looks amazing! I want to reach right through the screen for a bite!! What a blessing to have family come over from Italy with all those treats!! Hope you got a photo when it was all still in the suitcase ;)

Can’t wait to read about those scones. I just shared a Lemon Cranberry Muffin on my blog the other day. And updated my readers on the plight of Ruby the bunny my hubby brought home LOL!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen

Pegasuslegend March 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm

You did an awesome job for a fabulous cause… just amazing!

chefpandita.com March 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I want a slice of that tart right now… Looks great, Lora :) Have fun with your in-laws!

foodwanderings March 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This tart looks so good and filling too! A great cause Lora!!

Sandra March 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This is just so beautiful! Love your tart! And what a great cause!
    btw your mom is gorgeous!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

It is wonderful that you are participating in this. That tart looks delicious!

RavieNomNoms March 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm

That tart looks amazing! I love savory tarts almost more than sweet ones.

Carolyn March 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Looks fantastic, Laura, I’d love some for lunch!

The Duo Dishes March 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

It’s really cool when people post really personal memories/photos like you have. Very touching. The tart sounds and looks amazing. It’s the cheese that really takes it over the edge. Fabulous.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow March 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm

The tart looks amazing! Great post for the tea party!

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom March 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Rustic tarts are such a joy to look at…and eat, of course. The little tea set is so adorable! Can’t wait to see photos of your MIL in action.

The Mom Chef March 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I adore onion tarts and this is gorgeous looking. The tea set is amazing too. I’ll have to see if my mom will part with my little one (she has more attachment sentimentality to it than I) so I can start playing with Dudette. Still praying and thinking of/for you and your family.

Ali Grace March 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Just liked you on babble. :) I always love your recipes. This savory tart looks wonderful! I love anything with feta so I’ll have to try it.

Also, I made your peanut butter pretzel tart recently and it was a winner! Thanks for sharing.

Adriana March 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I love your tarts! They always look beautiful and delicious. How awesome that you still have your real tea set around! My Fisher-Price version from the early eighties was just fine for me; there is no real tea-time tradition here in Puerto Rico. I have also prepared a recipe to support the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund; what a wonderful way for us to help.

Lizzy March 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm

What a delightful addition to the tea party! YUM!

Enjoy your company, Lora :)

A Thought For Food March 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm

You know how I love scones… but tarts may take over that special place in my heart. Despite their rustic preparation, they are always so elegant. Obviously fancy enough for a tea party.

A wonderful recipe to share with us… and a fantastic organization to support.

Maria March 23, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I love a good savory tart. This one looks fantastic!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme March 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Onions, potatoes, thyme and feta. How could you go wrong with that combination! A beautifully prepared tart for a beautiful cause.

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines March 23, 2011 at 5:53 pm

What a party, wish I could have been there to join you. Love the tart, perfect for a fancy or casual party. Have fun with your family, I can only imagine how good it’s going to smell in your kitchen.
    Have a great week.
    -Gina-

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm

What a wonderful recipe for an excellent cause, Lora! It’s good to know that it is very near and dear to your heart, but unfortunate that your family has been affected by this cancer. This is such a lovely tart, and I love that you made it savory. Thanks for sharing your talents and your compassion in this caring post!

Happy When Not Hungry March 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm

What a great post! This tart looks amazing and I love the savory flavors you’ve used as well. Yum!

Cookin' Canuck March 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm

What a beautiful tart for a great cause. My paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer and it’s good to see money going towards necessary research. Have a wonderful time with your in-laws!

Tammy March 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Lovely post, your tart looks delightful! It is so nice to meet you! You have such a nice site!

xx,
    Tammy

Jennifer March 23, 2011 at 11:37 pm

As always your tart looks delish! Can’t wait to see the scones. And what a great cause. I’ve already clicked several outfits for Kelly.

kitchenarian March 23, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Such a great post for such a great cause. I love this savory tart. Enjoy the time with your in-laws. I’m going to the other site now to click on outfits for a cause. Thanks.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 23, 2011 at 11:57 pm

That’s great that your in-law’s are here, it’s good to be surrounded by family when you’re going through a hard time. I can’t wait to see what you and your mother in law will be cooking up!

Magic of Spice March 24, 2011 at 12:01 am

What a gorgeous tart, love the savory flavors…and I am in love with that picture of your mom, so beautiful! I hope you all have a wonderful time with your in-laws visit. Happy Spring!

Kate @ Diethood.com March 24, 2011 at 2:22 am

Yaaaay there’s feta in the tart!! Love it!!! Your photos are beautiful, too.

I am still laughing about, “no fresh pasta at school!?!” :) Have fun with the in-laws!

kita March 24, 2011 at 2:28 am

Love a savory tart – love feta – love onions. This tart was made for me. Im dreaming of your kitchen right now.

The Mistress of Spices March 24, 2011 at 9:56 am

This sounds delightful…and your gorgeous photos are almost giving me the courage to attempt my own pie crust!

Pretend Chef March 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm

The tart looks so delicious and that flavor combination sounds yummy. I would love to be on the beach right now. Might have to plan a weekend trip to Galveston. Enjoy the wonderful company!

Feast on the Cheap March 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Yes, please! this looks so delicious

Sprinkled with Flour March 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm

What a gorgeous savory tart! I love the flavors in this. It sounds like a comfort food for me:)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. March 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Great idea. I love savory tarts and they are rare to find

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE March 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Lora, this is the kind of Frenchy food that I just love. It looks amazing!

Maranda March 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I’m loving all these tea party posts. This looks exquisite. Thanks for sharing!

Pacheco Patty March 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Beautiful tempting savory tart Lora. Thanks for sharing your family photo and the memories. I have a tea party set from childhood, they are so sweet;-)

Susi's Kochen und Backen March 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Lora, what an amazing tart for a fantastic cause! I love that you went the savory route for this occasion! The flavors sound wonderful.
    Enjoy your time with your in-laws. What an awesome treat to receive all these fantastic Italian goodies :o)

egb March 25, 2011 at 1:17 am

Crust looks great! Can’t wait to try!

Sue March 25, 2011 at 3:27 am

I’m ready to make that tart tomorrow night! What a fun suitcase surprise from your mother-in-law!
    What a worthy cause you are involved with. I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother, Lora. My mother and older sister also died from ovarian cancer.

briarrose March 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Beautiful tart….yummy yummy feta and potatoes. Love it!

Grace March 27, 2011 at 1:30 am

Lora you look just like your Mom. I’ve been thinking about getting one of those pastry mats, do you find it helpful? I have such a difficult time with pastry and trying to find ways to make the process a little easier. The tart looks amazing! And a great cause to support, you are a special person Lora with a big heart.

Elle March 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Such a beautiful tart with wonderful flavors! And a great cause, too.

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com March 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Love the rustic look of this tart, and the flavors… irresistible! Love, love, love it!

Jean April 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Lora, I love the idea of having both sweet and savory bites for a party, especially if the savory component is this lovely tart. Looks wonderful!

Hope you’re enjoying your visit with your in laws. What great gifts you received!