Savory Cheese and Chive Bread–French Fridays with Dorie

by cakeduchess on March 4, 2011 · 53 comments

cheesemuffins2
I couldn’t wait to try this week’s French Fridays with Dorie Recipe! There is nothing like the smell of a fresh bread baking in the oven. Stuffed with cheeses and chives-even better!

I always have exorbitant amounts of cheese in my refrigerator. It was difficult to decide which cheeses I would add to my tasty bread. I decided on Pecorino Romano and Gouda. I think I made the right choice!
cheesemuffins1
The Sunday I made the bread, my dad was coming by to visit. He arrived with two baby papaya trees to plant in my front yard. I decided on making muffins instead of the loaf so he could take a few home with him to enjoy!
This recipe was delicious! I will be making some more this weekend and trying it with different cheeses. You must check out Dorie’s Around my French Table. It is a lovely book full of incredible recipes. Be a part of the fun and join us at French Fridays with Dorie!

Here’s my sweet daddy showing Luca his papaya tree. I wish I inherited a quarter of his green thumb!Winking smile
He arrived the next Sunday with a baby fig tree and some prickly pear plants. I’m watering them diligently every day.
Do you have a green thumb? What have you grown in your garden recently? Smile
I hope you had a WONDERFUL weekSmile Thank you for stopping by today!

A Thought For Food March 4, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I love savory breads… and have been playing with them more recently. Could see this going with a big bowl of tomato soup. Ahhhhh… so comforting!

Christine Wu March 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I don’t think I have green thumb. So far, the only thing I plant and harvest successfully is tomato. My husband said that’s the easiest plant to grow.

Love the bread! And such a great idea to bake it into muffins. No need to slice the bread too :)

Christina March 4, 2011 at 5:24 pm

These look fabulous! I do have a pretty green thumb, but because of last years floods I didn’t trust what may have seeped into our yard from the overflowed river so I didn’t plant last summer. Fingers crossed for the river to stay in it’s bed this year so I can plant again…if not, then I may have to container garden…I don’t think I can take another summer without a garden fresh tomato!

Pachecopatty March 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Thanks for inspiring me to be a part of French Friday your bread looks great:-)

ravienomnoms March 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Those look so yummy! Nice job on them, perfect compliment to any meal!

She's Cookin' March 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Ooh, fluffy, savory deliciousness! We grow all sorts of things in our garden, but the main attractions are sweet, juicy homegrown tomatoes! Hubs is in charge of preparing the soil and planting and I’m in charge of harvesting and cooking :) Have a great weekend!

Claudia March 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I love dads who arrive with fruit trees! The gouda was a grand idea – you can use anything! Love the idea of the muffins because maybe then I wouldn’t eat the entire loaf.

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom March 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Savory muffins like these are so good with soup and I love to break them open and make little ham sandwiches.

It’s rainy in KC today and I wish I had some new trees to water. Much prefer this weather to snow.

Lora, hope you have a great weekend planned.

Hester aka The Chef Doc March 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Oh, this is absolutely wonderful! They look so spectacular! Aren’t dads great? I love mine, too :-)

Wilde in the Kitchen March 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’ve been seeing this bread all over the blogosphere today, looks so good! I love that you chose to use gouda, it’s my favorite. And I don’t have a green thumb, I had a Jade tree in my apartment, it’s very hard to kill.

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) March 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm

These look great, Lora! Wonderful idea making the bread into muffins, too. I make savory muffins for my husband’s breakfast every few weeks and he just loves them – I add sauteed sausage, red bell peppers, onions, cornmeal, chili powder, etc. YUM! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe of your own. Have a great weekend!

blackbookkitchendiaries March 4, 2011 at 7:33 pm

this looks gorgeous! thank you for sharing this post with us. my dad loves gardening as well and yeah i wish i could be more like him:)

Elizabeth March 4, 2011 at 7:55 pm

These look wonderful! I love when cheese and fresh herbs bake together — such a magical combination!

Bridgett ~ La Bella Cook March 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I started another round of herbs for spring and summer but that is all I have done so far. My husband is supposed to make some raised beds for me to plant more this year and I cannot wait! What a sweet Dad you have and reminds me of something my own father would do. I am addicted to chives and I know these muffins would be perfect. I will be trying these so thank you for the the inspiration. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, my dear.

Michael Toa March 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Those muffins look fantastic. Beautiful flavours too. Yum! Have a great weekend.

Angie's Recipes March 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Some very beautiful savoury muffins. I would love a few now. Excellent clicks.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow March 4, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Oh Yum! Those look amazing!! I want one!

Carolyn March 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I love that you made yours a mini-version. Just perfectly portion-sized, although I’d likely eat two or three!

Pegasuslegend March 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm

there are gorgeous, love the look and cheese makes them fabulous!

bakingisapieceofcake March 4, 2011 at 10:54 pm

What beautiful muffins! Good luck with the papaya tree!

Sara March 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Totally gorgeous muffins! Love the idea of making them more portable like this. :) Your gardening sounds really fantastic…I would love a fig tree!! :)

Nelly Rodriguez March 4, 2011 at 11:55 pm

The breads look so good! I can imagine warm with a pat of butter….heaven :)
And your own papaya tree?! I’m sending you green thumb vibes for it to grow and reproduce! I can already see you making Papaya smoothies during the season!
Oh, as for myself, I don’t have a green thumb. This summer I tried those small windowsill herb and tomato potted plants. No luck, I had no time to water them, brought them outside, they drowned and died in rain water. Brought them inside, they revived, dried up somehow. Took them out again, they became leafy green…Never produced anything, but they TRIED HARD TO! :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice March 5, 2011 at 12:08 am

Your savory chese and chives muffins look so good. They must be really tasty. I do miss papayas. They are hard to come by and pretty expensive here in MN.

Happy When Not Hungry March 5, 2011 at 12:17 am

Your muffins look amazing! I love how you made them muffins too instead of a loaf. So much more fun that way!

Lizzy March 5, 2011 at 12:34 am

Your muffins look perfect!!! I love the idea of Gouda…yum! I think I have a black thumb…there are daffodils peeking their green foliage through the mulch, but thank goodness they are very low maintenance :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels March 5, 2011 at 12:51 am

I love that you made them into muffins, what a great idea! And how cute are your dad and Luca together? :)

Nisrine M. March 5, 2011 at 1:25 am

They look like brioches a bit with the added goodness of chives and cheese. Yum!

Have a great weekend!

scrambledhenfruit March 5, 2011 at 2:47 am

I love that you made these in muffins- they look so good! I don’t garden so much anymore- my brother is a farmer with a produce business so I get all of my fresh veggies from him. :)

Jeannie March 5, 2011 at 3:56 am

Your bread looks delicious, love your photos so clear and bright! All the plants I planted in my garden died on me but the weed thrived, so do I have green thumbs? lol!

Kate @ Diethood.com March 5, 2011 at 5:20 am

The muffins are gorgeous! Beautiful photos!!

I have a green thumb… I grow a whole lot of veggies in my backyard…I also have a few fruit trees, some herbs, and a grape vine. :)

Lana March 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

I loved the bread, too! I was contemplating making muffins, but my husband does not like the crust (I know, I know, I don’t always indulge him because I love crust). Kids loved it, I loved it, it was perfect, quick, easy.
i have to love on your dad a bit for those trees:) Mine is a retired ObGyn, and spent a week preparing a 10×10 piece of really hard, clay dirt for my garden in Ohio. I happen to have a green thumb, which i discovered by accident after I planted the garden.
Enjoy your trees and cheers to our dads!

Peggy March 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

This bread sounds absolutely divine! And so lucky of you to have your dad bring you all those amazing plants!

I’m still kinda new to the gardening stuff, this will be my second year, and I definitely learned a lot from my 1st year, so we’ll see how it goes! =)

Brenda March 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I definitely do not have a green thumb. Unfortunately. :o( One thing I didn’t inherit from my Mom. I can bake, however, and your bread looks and sounds heavenly!! That cookbook is on my wish list.

The Mom Chef March 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm

You can’t just offhandedly mention that your dad planted two papaya and think we won’t notice. Green thumb? Try green with envy! I wish so badly that we could have fruit trees and bushes like that in our yard. Wow.

These bread muffins look fantastic. We’re having our regular Saturday group over and it’s my turn to cook. I’m thinking these will be making it on the table (now that I have the cookbook I can actually do it!). Many thanks.

Amy Bakes Everything March 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

These are gorgeous muffins! I’ve seen lots of these today and they are just gorgeous – I want to be FFwD too!

sweetpeaskitchen.com March 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Savory breads are so yummy! I have seen these on a few blogs today and they look incredible! I like them in this muffin shape. I really need to go out and buy this book! :)

sara @ CaffeIna March 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Pecorino and gouda together? You sure could not go wrong with this choice. Those little breads look fantastic. Bel lavoro!

Jason Phelps March 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Reminds me of the savory read with olives, cheese and ham in it at the wedding social in Provence a couple weeks back. I definitely need to fiddle around with that recipe a bit.

Jason

saffronandhoney March 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm

What a lovely garden (and beautiful weather you’re having too!).

Your muffins look gorgeous – I bet the second batch will go very quickly too.

Susie Bee on Maui March 5, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Enjoy watching those trees grow and bloom. We have lime and lemon trees producing; an orange tree with no fruit so far; several rosemary bushes, parsley, chives (Basil got eaten by something!)

Love the muffins and love savory bread. I made an olive and cheese (with a bit of rosemary) artisan loaf last week that turned out nicely.

tricia s. March 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Your photos are really great- the muffins turned out wonderful !! Love that you shared the sweet family photos too – how precious. We loved how easy this week was – both Nana and I appreciate a easy FFWD :)

Sandra March 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Nothing like a yummy savory bread. Looks great!

The Mistress of Spices March 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I love savory breads too, and I love that you did this as muffins!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Oh my goodness, you are going to have papayas, figs and prickly pears growing in your backyard. I would love that! We don’t have much space to grow anything at our place. We’ve got a small lemon tree and a tangerine tree and a few herbs growing in the back, that’s it. I wish I had something more tropical like you!

sanyaliving.com March 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Your muffins look so good! I made muffins as well!

Cookin' Canuck March 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

What a lovely photo of your dad and son. These little savory treats look wonderful – something that I wouldn’t be able to stop eating.

chefpandita March 6, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Love the muffin idea, Lora! my parents came to visit on Friday and brought us papayas, avocados, grapefruits and bananas grown by my dad. I live in an apartment and dream of having an edible garden. Meanwhile I have basil, rosemary and sage in my balcony :)

Lo-mo March 7, 2011 at 1:49 am

I am a fan of the muffin size breads….I like to think they help with portion control…my son eats 2 or 3 instead of a whole loaf! Nice cheese combo! Looks fabulous. I also want to hear how those papaya trees do!!

BakingWithoutABox March 7, 2011 at 2:27 am

Oh to have a green thumb. Let us know the progress of the tree and plants. Love that photo of your dad and the baby boy.
Awesome job on the Dorie dish! And way to work in that “leftover” cheese.

megan @ whatmegansmaking March 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm

This bread looks amazing! The more cheese the better :)

Elle March 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Two of my favorite cheeses! What a great dad you have-he’s very sweet. We haven’t planted anything yet-too cold. Our planting season in NH begins at the end of May, so still a way to go yet. Good luck with your new plants!

Mary March 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm

These looks incredible! Wow!! Love all the cheese!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
Delightful Bitefuls

Magic of Spice March 8, 2011 at 11:25 pm

These look fantastic! How fun to those wonderful trees, I love gardening but I have mostly herbs :)