Fat Witch Brownies with Peanut Butter Chips and My Cheetah Blood

by cakeduchess on March 8, 2011 · 91 comments

fatwitchbrownies1
Today is Mardi Gras-Fat Tuesday! How about some delicious Fat Witch Brownies?! I could never tire of trying brownie recipes. I could bake brownies every day and not be remotely bored. Fat Witch Bakery is in NYC. Oprah likes their brownies. I had to try them out!

I do agree. They are good! Even better with peanut butter chips. Next time I might add a little more chocolate and a touch more of peanut butter chips. Then they will be perfect. I have 49 more recipes to try from their cute little brownie book. Be prepared for an onslaught of more brownies. You don’t mind, do you?

Fat Witch Brownies with Peanut Butter Chips
14 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. bittersweet chocolate chips (Ghiradelli)
3/4 cup peanut butter chips
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. unbleached flour
pinch of salt

Grease and flour a 9×9 baking pan (I used a 8×8 inch baking pan). Preheat oven to 350F. Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.

Cream the sugar, eggs and vanilla together. Add the cooled chocolate and mix until well blended. Sift flour and salt directly into the chocolate mixture. Gently mix the batter until well blended and no trace of the dry ingredients remain. Fold in the peanut butter chips.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and bake 33 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with only crumbs, no batter on it. Allow to cool for 1 hour. Cut into 16 squares.

What’s this cheetah blood all about?

It’s been a almost a year of back and forth doctor visits and procedures. In the back of my mind…the tiniest little corner…I just knew I’d get that call. It’s cancer. It sucks. I just found out a few days ago that I have cancer. She told me it’s totally curable and there will be no radiation or chemotherapy. How do I believe it when she told my husband after my procedure 10 days ago that it looks like it’s going to be fine?
While she was talking, I was losing focus. Waves of fear and shock permeated throughout my body. I was listening and wishing I was just having a bad dream. Fighting back the tears, my dear doctor kept explaining that it was the hardest phone call for her to make. We have been friends since high school. My daughter snuggled up to me on the couch and whispered, “Is every thing ok?” I smiled and shook my head, “Yes.” My heart just breaking as she squeezed me a little harder with her sweet hand. Roberta said her badge now says, “I survived an aortic embolism.” She told me my badge will say, “I survived cancer.” That is when it really hit me and I started to focus and found some clarity: I have cancer. I have cancer?

That night after I put the kids to bed, I cried. I cried and I cried some more. I called my husband and asked him when he was coming home from work. My mom told me not to scare him while he’s working because he may cut or burn himself or get in an accident driving home. So I waited just counting the minutes. An hour later he arrived and I just spilled out the words as he walked through the front door, “I have cancer.” The shocked look on his face was painful to see.

Then I cried some more as he spoke soothing words in attempts to comfort me. I kept saying, “The kids need me. I don’t want to leave the kids. I don’t want to leave you.” That is what I kept thinking about the most. My little angels. What would they do without me?? I can’t leave just yet. I have to watch more basketball games. I have to watch my daughter break the first boys’ heart. I have to watch my son learn how to read. I want to be there when he reads to me his first book. I had to stop all those thoughts. I had to just sleep and rest. I prayed and then collapsed on my pillow still wiping away the tears and fell into a deep sleep for a few hours. After a restless sleep, I woke early that morning with more feelings of dread and a deep sadness compounded with even more fear.

Last week I talked about it a little on Twitter one night. Some of my blog readers follow me on Twitter. The messages of support came flooding through. People I never even chatted with before sent me kind and encouraging words. I started to receive messages from people that also battled cancer. Normally we are all chatting about food. Now we were talking about surviving cancer. I received offers of help from my local friends on Twitter. Even more messages telling me how I was included in their prayers at mass on Sunday. My heart swelled with all the love and support. More tears arrived. This isn’t easy, but you are all helping to make it just a little easier and I am grateful.
Cancer is no stranger to my family. I’m sure it is also not a stranger to yours. My mother’s parents both died of cancer. My mother’s sister is a breast cancer survivor. That’s a photo of my Aunt Marti on the right with my mom on Miami Beach 3 years ago. She’s been cancer free for 5 years.
marti 001
My dad beat cancer twice. Twice. He still has on his table next to the chair he watches TV in the book he got in 1992, “You Can Fight for Your Life” The book cover has a light layer of dust on it. I don’t even know if he still reads it or it’s there as a reminder of what he did fight for and beat; his security blanket.

I have many questions going through my mind. What if the cancer is somewhere else in my body? Will I really not have to do chemotherapy and radiation? Am I really as lucky as my neighbor and sister-in-law have told me?  I know I should feel lucky that it was detected at an early stage, but in all truthfulness, I find it so difficult to say, “I feel lucky.” Maybe it is still too early for me to be grateful for this illness. When I called my brother to tell him my sad news he repeated several times, “I don’t know what to say.” I told him, “Just tell me you love me.”

I still haven’t shared the news with my dad. My sweet dad. We have had two doctors tell us it’s a miracle my dad is still here with us. He confronts with all his Sicilian passion and pride the horrible side-effects from the radiation he had so many years ago. He looked at me with his strong green eyed gaze and told me the other day, “Every day is a struggle.’” He’s been cancer free since 1993.
And this is why I started my blog last summer. It was after I had my first appointment and I found out something was wrong. I started to write and document my recipes for my family. It was always a dream of mine to do a blog. With a fear that some day I might not be here, I posted my first recipe and story.
Recently there has been a lot of talk about a certain celebrity and his tiger blood. I thought if Charlie Sheen could have tiger blood and be a winner, well then I have cheetah blood. And I’m a winner. And I will beat this. And I really like that cheetah pattern in my photo and that’s really how I came up with the cheetah blood idea. I don’t really think I have cheetah blood. Hope it made you giggle.

But seriously, if you pray,  please keep me in your prayers. If you aren’t a praying kinda person…please send me some positive energy/vibes. If you aren’t into prayer or energy, maybe you could just send me some cookies. Or chocolates? Kidding! Laughing is good for me! Thank you for being here for me. My husband told me the night after I found out that a regular customer at the restaurant told him his wife is a breast cancer survivor (not the same cancer that I have)  and handed him a prayer card for Padre Pio. My husband thought it was strange because we had just found out my news and he also had not shared the news with anyone at work. I’m praying to Padre Pio.
This is my beautiful family. This is why I will beat it and any other adversity that comes my way. We were out to lunch the other day enjoying an afternoon with my husband Fabrizio. It’s still season at the restaurant and the moments we do share together are rare and even more special.
Gabriella is finishing her basketball season. Her team won one game this season. She wasn’t satisfied with that but I sure was.  Yesterday I found out she made the Principal’s Honor Roll: all A’s…that makes me proud. She was the first in her class to read 15 books from the Florida Sunshine State Standard’s list. 15 books in a matter of a few months. Luca will be starting kindergarten in the fall. He’s an adorable little boy that plays clever jokes on us and that loves to do art. He draws the most amazing fish tanks and sharks. Who will be the one to worry about all these little things and be proud of their accomplishments if I’m not here?
One of Luca’s sharks that I have hanging on the fridge…
                                  shark 001
I can’t think like that.  I will be here…for a long time. Dammit, I will.
Next week I go to the oncologist. In some ways I get sick to my stomach thinking about what he will say. In other ways, I just want to go and hurry this whole process up.

On a much brighter note: my in-laws will be here from Italy for 5 wks. Yes, 5 glorious weeks! I’m hoping my surgery will be scheduled while they are here. Since I still have to heal from the procedure I had 10 days ago, I’m not sure when it will be.

In the meantime, I will keep on baking and keep on thinking positive thoughts. Gabriella helped Luca make this yesterday with glitter glue for me. It’s ironicially a snapshot of my life right now: silver lined clouds, the sparkling gold sun, gentle blue raindrops feeding the pretty flowers, and a whimsical butterfly. This all combines to make  a very happy picture.

kidsart 001
Thank you for stopping by today. I adore you all! I really doSmile.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels March 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Oh Lora I’m in tears just reading this. You have so much strength and determination, I know you will beat this. It’s so beautiful reading about how much you love your family. You have the most beautiful family and I know you’ll be here for them and they will be here for you. We’re all here for you every second of the day. Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts, fears and hopes. It was so wonderful looking at the drawings from your children and the photos of your family.
I can’t even describe how much you mean to me and how blessed I am to have you as my friend.
If you ever need anything, please let me know.

And just so you know. You can make 5 million brownie recipes! Your brownies look sooo good. :)
Your Cheetah blood is much stronger than Charlie’s tiger blood. ;) You’re already #winning. :)

gigabiting March 8, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I second that. Cheetah definitely tops tiger.
Thank you for sharing this.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Lora- what an unbelievable post. I started out thinking that I wanted to make those brownies and finished almost in tears. You are such a brave woman and so admirable to put yourself out there with this intimate news. I’ll be thinking of you and your family.

Carolyn March 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Oh sweetie pie. I don’t really have words to comfort you, just know that I am thinking of you and your lovely children. And your whole family, your strong father and your awesome mother. You are so strong, I don’t doubt for a second that you have cheetah blood. I don’t doubt it at all.
If I could be there with you, I would raise a Fat Witch Brownie in honour of your strength and beauty.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow March 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm

You are such an amazing person. I am in tears just reading your post. You are so strong and you are in all our thoughts and prayers. We all hope and know you will be back to full health soon!

Adriana March 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm

If you continue this strong, there’s nothing you can’t do or hostile cells that can’t be beaten. My prayers go to you and your family.

Dionne Baldwin @ Try Anything Once March 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I am so sorry that I was not there for you when you first shared this…believe me when I say I am crying with you right now. You have such a sweet and caring family. Your daughter is so sweet to care about her mama. It’s hard to hear the words “cancer” and “going to be fine” because we all know cancer is not our friend but if there is something I get from your personality it is that you are strong (read STUBBORN) and you are determined to stay here for your family. Cancer CAN be beat and I truly believe that will be you. I love that you make the most of every day with your family and that you live for them not just for yourself.

You are Lora the Cake Duchess who makes beautiful cakes and the best Fat Witch Brownies. Next on your to do list: you are going to beat cancer.

X O X O

Dionne

EatLiveRun March 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I’m praying for you! You are an inspiration to me and if anyone can beat this, I know it’s YOU!

Pegasuslegend March 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Lora, your family is worth every minute of this fight, dont for one minute think negative. Your so right everyone has a story in their family. You have everything going for you, your gorgeous, you have a beautiful family that loves you and early finding, means early cure for sure.
I know your asking yourself why you, just reading this your courage and tears make me and everyone here realize how precious life is, that is the message and the gift you gave us today not to take it for granted. You will beat this, with your inner beauty alone, you have lots more to do…. stay strong, I will light my candles for you every week for prayers to a quick recovery so you cant get back to living a great life… xoxoxo…..no regrets just love…

Maria March 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Sending you a big hug and lots of prayers. You are an amazing woman and I know you can beat this. I am here for you! xoxo!

Sandra March 8, 2011 at 5:59 pm

It took me almost 40 min. to read your story..I cried all the way..Of course you will beat this, I have told you that! You are stronger than you think and with your amazing mom and family by your side you have all positive thought and comfort that you need..and my family sending you strength and love too!!!
Fat Witch Brownies are amazing and wonderful, and picture perfect!!!

Robyn March 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

You will beat this. I will pray for you daily. You’ve got your father’s courage and you will prevail as he did. Stay strong for your little ones and allow those friends nearby help as much as they want. I only wish I lived closer.

tastesbetterwithfriends March 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

We’ve never met (yet) but I feel like you’re a close friend of mine. You had me tearing up while reading this and all I can say is that you are strong and I will send you positive vibes and whatever else I can do to help out along the way!
You and your Nutella-infused Cheetah blood will beat this!
xo

Jessica @ How Sweet March 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Wow, I can just TELL how super strong you are and I know you will beat this. I will be praying for you every single day! You and your beautiful family. I know you can do this!

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines March 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Lora,
I’m so sorry and yes you are a winner and god will see to it that you raise your little angels. I tell my mom that all the time, if he wanted you home, you would already be there. I’ll be thinking about you. If you need anything let me know!
Love,
Gina

Rachel March 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Sending you tons of hugs across the many miles and lots of happy thoughts. You’re an amazing person and will get through this.

ravienomnoms March 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Wow, you are an amazing woman…such strength you have. You will beat this! I did not see what kind of cancer you had, if I missed it in the post I am sorry. I am trying to walk in a breast cancer walk in the summer and this is one of the reasons. For people like you who are so strong and deserve to have people support them and love them throughout their journey. You are in my prayers!

Noelle March 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Thank you for sharing your story Lora. I was in tears when I finished. May the Lord be your strength and your shield. May he comfort you in this time because He is the one that knows our fears and our concerns. You WILL be in my prayers.

Christine Wu March 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I will pray for you and send positive vibes towards your way. You’re a strong woman and you can fight it!

Evan @swEEts March 8, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Oh my goodness Lora! Please know that you and your family will be in my prayers for sure.. such a difficult thing to be going through, but you have such a wonderful support system between your family, friends and bloggers that you’re sure to beat this :) I got goosebumps as I read through your post. And I have to say.. those brownies? I’ll be making them in your honor!

Becky March 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I am a 15 year melanoma survivor, and you can fight this cancer. You are strong and have the support of your family and the blogging community is behind you. Everyone will be sending you their positive vibes. god bless you and your family!

Danielle March 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Lora, I am so sorry you are going through this! Those three little words are devastating to anybody. Stay strong, we all know you can beat it! Having cheetah blood helps as well. ;) Sending hugs your way!

The Mom Chef March 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I’m bawling like a baby. It started when you baby snuggled up to you on the couch. Because it’s not about us anymore, is it. Oh Lora, I am praying for healing for you. God has overcome darkness and evil and cancer is evil made tangible. You WILL beat this. I know you will. Your children will have you walking through their front doors to visit their children with cakes and all kinds of goodies.

Sprinkled with Flour March 8, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Lora, what a profoundly moving post. I am struggling to keep my tears in check, but then I wonder why? Your’s is a tear-worthy situation. So I’m letting them fall, and saying a prayer for you and your precious family. While no-one can know exactly how you’re feeling, I came through a cancer scare and subsequent surgery a few years ago, so I truly empathize with you. Your thoughts and fears are normal, but I’m sure your cheetah blood will pull you through:)

Elizabeth Ann (Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box March 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm

1. I was going to write you today anyways because yesterday I received my cookbook AND a sweet handwritten letter from YOU. . .(so very Southern of you!)
2. I am a praying gal and I will absolutely keep you in my prayers. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now, the emotions, and the stress, worry, etc… but I believe that our God is bigger than cancer and that he is a healing God and that HE still performs miracles today.
3. My brother had cancer. . . he had to have surgery (but no radiation and chemo). . . he had surgery. . . didn’t have to do radiation and chemo. . . and 4 years later still has a clean bill of health!
4. Praying for you friend!

Roxan March 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Oh, Lora, I must have missed that tweet. I can only imagine how you feel right now and I just want to jump through the computer and give you a HUGE hug right now! Cancer is also really prevalent in my family so that’s something that’s always at the back of my mind, especially as I realize that I am starting to get older. I know that you have winners blood and we are all here for you!!!

Cookin' Canuck March 8, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Oh, Lora. I didn’t see your tweets about this. You have me in tears and you will be on my mind constantly. Even though it must seem like such a daunting battle in front of you, I can tell through our interactions that you are a woman with a positive spirit and an endless amount of love enveloping you. Those two things give you a leg up already. You and your family are in my thoughts. Sending you lots of love and strength.

Kate @ Diethood.com March 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Lora, I am so sorry that you are going through this… I promise to keep you in my prayers. I wish I could hug you right now. Sending you virtual ((((hugs)))).

Lemons and Anchovies March 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I’m all choked up as I sit here in my office reading your post. I’ve lost some family members to cancer,too, and I’ve had a scare myself. I’m glad for you that the prognosis is positive. You sound like you’ve got a very strong father and cheetah blood or not, you’ve surely got your father’s flowing through your veins. I hope you stay strong just like he did.

My prayer list has gotten quite long over the last few days and I’ve already added you to it. And the way I see it, the longer my prayer list, the easier it will be for God to see it. :-) Sending positive thoughts your way…

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate March 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Wow! Look at all of the wonderful comments just hours after you created this post. You have a beautiful family and an amazing support group. In addition, you are a strong beautiful woman. Just remember… life is good, even without cheetah blood.

Ironically, living in Florida you are in great hands for cancer. My mother is near some of the “best” physicians in CA; however, when she had her second cancer scare they gave her a hug and told her to go home. She came here and I took her to Lakeland. The Dr. (no bedside manner what so ever) looked at her, told her what needed to be done, and she is still galavanting around 3 years after the date they told her in CA would be the Max.

You have a ton of us in your corner rooting for you. One day perhaps we can get the
Gabriella’s (yours and mine) together.

Tantissimi Auguri

Baci,
Lael

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom March 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Lora, you know how therapeutic blogging is for me and I can tell you get & give so much to all of us through your baking, writing and living. So just keep on doing all of that – bake (especially brownies!), write and live your life. You are loved and supported so much.

Shawn March 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Praying for you & pulling for you…

Margaret Murphy Tripp March 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Tears came to my eyes as I read your post. You are in my prayers for certain. My mother is a 26 -year breast cancer survivor. I missed the tweets or I would have sent you a message immediately. Keep working on your beautiful blog. You’re a talented baker and writer and a beautiful spirit. It will be a good diversion to keep your mind busy. Sending you {{{hugs}}} & support. xo

MikeVFMK March 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Lora, it takes courage to write something like that. Your strength and your family will pull you through.

My father survived cancer and you will too. Keep your spirits up and keep doing your thing in the kitchen.

We’re all praying for you!

Susi March 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Lora, I’ve been writing and deleting for several minutes now, not knowing what to say or how to be of comfort. I guess what I’m trying to say is, that I’m incredibly sorry to hear about your diagnosis and that I can’t even begin to imagine what you and your beautiful family must be going through right now. Just know that I’m thinking of you, praying for you and sending you lots of healing vibes. Most of all stay strong, take care of yourself and know that there is a world of “strangers” out there that care about you and wish you nothing, but the very best. I’m rooting for you all the way!!!

Feast on the Cheap March 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Sending you positive vibes, energy and prayers. A moving post and you clearly have 3 very beautiful reasons to beat this.

Raina March 8, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I have to tell you that you brought me to tears with this post. My heart goes out to you. When you have kids, life really does take on new meaning. I know you will get through this. I love that you have cheetah blood. That is the way to think. I will keep you in my prayers and send you positive energy too:) You might think me kooky, but have you read the book The Secret? It is a book that truly helped to change my life when I was going through a difficult time.

Your brownies look amazing. Thanks for sharing them:)

foodwanderings March 8, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Lora, reading this post made me cry, chills went through my body and then I laughed out loud when you were begging for cookies.:) No biggie momma cheeta cancer is small on you!! You will survive and live for a long time to enjoy your beautiful family!! Love, Shulie

Happy When Not Hungry March 8, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Lora, I read your post today at work and almost started crying. I’m so sorry to hear this, but I want you to know that I am praying for you. You are such a strong, Italian woman, so I know you’re going to get through this. I love that you’re still baking amazing treats as well! Keep smiling and think only positive thoughts!!!

Magic of Spice March 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm

You are of course in my thoughts…You will be this, just look at the strength in your family!
The mind is a very powerful thing so think positive and all good thoughts, they will come to you.
Your brownies look wonderful!

homemadechocolatier March 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

what a beautiful family, lora! you’re such a strong woman and have Someone stronger looking out for you; take comfort in that. i’m a praying kind of person and i will most certainly be praying for you and your family. you don’t need cheetah blood, just His blood. :) keep the cooking inspirations rolling! you’re amazing.

Sandra March 8, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Dear Lora, you will beat this. You will be around to bake your children’s wedding cakes and brownies for thier baby shower’s. I love your sense of humor and honesty and you have friends across the globe that are praying/sending vibes and baking cookies for you. All will be well.

Lana March 9, 2011 at 12:02 am

I don’t know what to say because I am in tears. I am touched by your words, but my tears are not the sad ones. They are the tears that come from inspirations, from strength, and from love. I see all that in you and I have no doubt that you will be here to tell jokes to your grandchildren.
You are an amazing person and I am so happy that I have met you.
Baci!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 9, 2011 at 12:23 am

so sorry to hear the news. i’ll be thinking of you and your family during this tough time. i have no doubt you’re strong enough to beat this!

Claudia March 9, 2011 at 1:45 am

Cancer has of course affected my family – it has tentacles that reaches out and seems to touch everyone. Your youth, early detection, better knowledge these days – has everything stacked in your favor. A friend of mine and a cousin just went through this and are doing exceedingly well. You will also. Love, vent, bake and trust. I would be honored to keep you and your family close in my prayers and thoughts.

Spicie Foodie March 9, 2011 at 2:21 am

Lora I have only recently found your blog, but I adore it and your stories. I am so sorry to hear the news, I am sending you the most positive thoughts and the bestes of the bestes wishes. You have a beautiful family, and your extended blogging family is here for you too. I can’t send you cookies nor chocolate but I can send you a big bear hug, and good energy. Keeping you in my thoughts. Hugs Nancy :)

Sue March 9, 2011 at 2:40 am

Lora, I wish I was there to give you a big hug! I’m so sorry that you have to go through this, but with that cheetah blood you can fight anything, right? :) You can bet that I will be praying for you, Lora! I hope that all the prayers will buoy you up and replace your fear with His peace. XO Sue

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 9, 2011 at 2:48 am

Lora, if making brownies makes you happy and makes you forget your troubles for even just a second then bring it on! I want to see all 49 of those brownie recipes! You have a beautiful family and I know that you are strong and you can beat this. If you ever need anything, you know I’m here for you.

Cake Duchess March 9, 2011 at 3:11 am

Thank you to each of you from the bottom of my heart for all this love, support, prayers, and positive energy. It has been an emotional week, emotional to write this, and even more emotional to read these beautiful messages.

scrambledhenfruit March 9, 2011 at 3:38 am

Lora, With your positive attitude, I know you can beat this! I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Take care of yourself and keep strong!

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter March 9, 2011 at 3:39 am

I am also in Tears I will keep you in my prayers your amazing no words just prayers and hugs

Lo-mo March 9, 2011 at 4:08 am

Oh Senora Cheetah blood, you are strong, you are loved, you will win….a very good friend of mine went through breast cancer treatment last year, 37, mother of 2 beauties under the age of 2. Saturday night we celebrated her clean scan and her cancer free declaration….She confessed to me throughout all of her fears and worst thoughts. Every ache caused her to panic, a new doctor or technician in the room caused her to panic…A for not….All I hear is wonderful news from people lately, modern medicine is just that….modern…and amazing!! Just like you!
Roar like a Cheetah!

miss @ Miss in the Kitchen March 9, 2011 at 4:32 am

You have an amazing family with all of their love and support, and from your readers, you will get through this. Sharing your story just shows how strong you are! You have my thoughts and prayers.

Elin March 9, 2011 at 4:34 am

Lora…remember this…we are all here for you..giving you our prayers, our energy and most of all our loves for you and your lovely family.
Your dad is awesome..he can fight it for 5 years so can you…you will overcome all. My mom survived cancer for 20 years . She had womb cancer and she survived for 20 years till old age took her home. Let this be an encouragement and strength for you. We love you and keep your mind on baking and blogging.

The Fat Brownies is mouth-watering, I don’t mind having a piece of that :) Keep strong Lora ! Will be keeping you in our prayers.

Monet March 9, 2011 at 4:58 am

Lora. I’m so honored to know such a beautiful and strong woman. A woman who can so bravely share her heart with her family, her friends, and the world. You are a precious gift, and I know that the strength that radiates from you will destroy the cancer inside of your body. You have so many people that love and care for you…so many people that will rally beside you as you battle this. I am praying for you right now, and your name will be on my tongue each morning that I wake. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. If you ever need to talk…please give me a call. I love you!

kita March 9, 2011 at 5:34 am

Whew.
Where to start. It seems so trite to say, but wow are you brave. Sharing this with your readers. Opening up and letting everyone read your fear is courageous and inspiring to me. Second, you already know you have too be around for a lot longer so you are going to be ok. There is nothing that is going to stop you from seeing those little bits grow up and break boys hearts and listen to your son recite Shakespeare because he will be so well read. Not to mention the million other little moments in between that you will be there healthy and strong to see.
I’m sure you have much positive energy flowing your way, lots of open ears to listen and arms to help you cry, but if you need one more, I’m here. Just send me a message and I’ll be there. You and your father have many many recipes left that I have to enjoy reading about. :)

sanjeeta kk March 9, 2011 at 7:30 am

My positive energy and good wishes for you, Lora. You will come out of it hail and healthy. Keep cooking and enjoying the love that your family shares with you.

Carole March 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

Lora, you WILL be fine. In addition to cheetah blood, remember WINNING. And you WILL win. It’s a startling diagnosis; I know from my first breast lump. And I’m still here 20 years and additional lumps later.

Be sure to question and advocate for your own health. My prayers are with you, sweetie.
BIG hugs.

Michael Toa March 9, 2011 at 11:19 am

Lora, I am praying for you. I’ll be dedicating my lent for you this year. Stay strong. You have all the support from your family and all of us.

Pretend Chef March 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I have the biggest lump in my throat and the tears rolled. I don’t even have the slighest understanding what you are going through but I do sympathize with your situation. Finding the right words to say has me at a loss. I can tell you that even though our friendship is through the web I truly enjoy the fact that you welcome me into your life and that makes me feel like an extended part of your family. You are so loved and have a wonderful support system surrounding you. I’ll be sending an air hug your way right now!

A Thought For Food March 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm

My sweet Lora…

This is such a beautiful, honest post and I want to tell you again that you are in my thoughts.

And I do believe you have cheetah blood… and you will beat this.

Mwah!

-Brian

witchblog-fatwitch-com March 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Dear Cake Duchess,
Thanks for baking the brownies. We sell ones with peanut butter chips in our Chelsea Market store. So glad you like them!
All good thoughts to you on your battle. It’s rough, I know.
Best Witches, Pat (Founder, Fat Witch Bakery)

Gayle Martin March 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Lora I am so sorry to hear of your diagnoses, but optimistic that it has been caught early. I’ll be saying a prayer for your complete recovery.

asouthernkitchen March 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Prayers are being sent for you from folks you don’t even know! It must be so scary, but your attitude is going to make a difference in your life and recovery. You are strong and positive and you will beat it!

Lucy

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com March 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Fat Witch? no! Fat me if I get too many of these coming out of the kitchen! We love your delicious blog and are passing on the Stylish Blogger Award to you! http://picture-perfectmeals.blogspot.com/2011/03/wed-like-to-thank-academy.html

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) March 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Lora, thank you for sharing this very candid glimpse into your life. I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but can tell just by the way you write that you are a positive and strong woman, and will remain resilient. Keeping you and your family in my prayers and thoughts.

Jennifer March 9, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I’ve just finished reading your post and I’m in tears. I’m sorry it’s been such a bumpy road filled with question marks only to get the bad news a year later. But at least you don’t have to have chemo or radiation. As someone who’s had several friends and relatives have cancer, that’s HUGE!

Everyone on my father’s side has died of cancer, so I know what it’s like to have that disease looming over your head. I recently went in for a breast needle biopsy and I was a mess the whole week I had to wait for the results because I was thinking the same things you were. I’m married to a wonderful man and my son’s not even 2. How will they make it without me? The results came back negative so for now they won’t have to. And neither will your family. Your cheetah blood will see you through.

Good luck with everything coming up and all the future appointments. I’m sending positive thoughts to you and your family.

Lizzy March 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Oh, Lora, just look at all the love and prayers enveloping you! Your courage and positive attitude will get you through this all. As a former oncology nurse, I know that not needing chemo or RT is HUGE! That is fabulous news…I will still keep you and your dear family close in prayer. You are a survivor!!! xoxo

Grace March 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Oh Lora bella I don’t even know how to start. I think I have started and stopped this message 3 times since reading your post. I want you to know my prayers are with you and your family. Please stay positive because I’ve heard so often it is essential. My mother met Padre Pio many years ago and she talks of him often. She prays to him each and every day and I have asked her to include you in her prayers. Your children and your husband do need you so please take everything you have inside and the love and support of your family and friends and fight this and send this cancer where the sun don’t shine – I know you can beat this and I think deep down inside you know it too!

Elle March 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Lora honey, you will beat this. I know it. You have the fight in you. I’ve said prayers for you already. Hugs!

Yuri March 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You are a really brave person and I know you will get through this. You have a beautiful family and virtual friends who are keeping you in their prayers. Be strong, Lora. xo

Melissa March 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I will be sending lots of positive energy and prayers your way! Stay strong!

Terra March 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I am having troubles writing this I have so many tears. You have such a way in your writing, you sound like such a fighter. You are strong, positive, and surrounded by positive. You just keep positive, and keep those around you happy and positive. You will fight this!!!
Sending lots of love your way!
Hugs,
Terra

claire March 10, 2011 at 3:26 am

Thanks so much for sharing this post. I am not sure what to say, but I hope you know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You are such an amazing person and i have truly enjoyed getting to hear about your life through your blog.

Stay strong!

Pacheco Patty March 10, 2011 at 4:27 am

Lora, I enjoy following your stories and recipes so much, it breaks my heart that you have gotten this diagnosis. I think you are so talented and a fighter with your wonderful family and friends by your side, you will beat this thing. Take care and best wishes for the future;-)

Angie's Recipes March 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

Oh Lora, I don’t know what to say about this…but do stay strong and you will conquer as you are such a loving and happy woman. I love your family photo.

megan @ whatmegansmaking March 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm

wow, oh my goodness. Thank you so much for sharing. I just said a prayer for you. Praying that everything will work out and you will be healed quickly!

RecipeGirl March 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Just catching on to this post… so sad to read it and find out what is going on with you :( It sounds like you have a terribly strong family, and you will beat this thing!!!!!!!! Hugs and prayers for you.

Reeni March 10, 2011 at 7:06 pm

You have me in tears! What you’re going through is heartbreaking, I’m so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers – I’m sending you positive energy and thoughts and giant HUGS too. I believe with all my heart that you will be OK! You have a beautiful family, let their love carry you through. xoxo

Ms. Bake-it March 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I am saddened to hear about your diagnosis, but am glad you shared it with your readers. As my mother learned when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year ago, a support team is very important. Your readers will be your online support team praying for you and cheering you on. Keep the faith and your positive attitude.

I will keep you as well as your family in my prayers.

Warmest regards,
Tracy

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron March 11, 2011 at 12:03 am

My eyes got teary while reading this post. I’m so sorry. Please be strong. We all are here for you. I know how you feel. Although I don’t have a cancer but lumps on my right breasts, I’m scared. It’s not comparable to yours, i know. The biopsy result required me to remove those. Anyway, i would give you big hug virtually!

Back to the brownies, i need to check out that place next time i go visit NYC. Or, get my hands on your recipe instead!

Taylor March 11, 2011 at 2:49 am

I can’t even imagine what you’re going through right now. I’m keeping the Cake Duchess in my thoughts and prayers :)

marla March 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Lora, this is so shocking. I have been out of the loop on twitter the past few days so I did not see you talk about this. I am here for you friend in any way you could ever need me. You and your beautiful family will be in my daily prayers. Squeeze those beautiful children & your hubs every moment you can.
xxoo

Chef Dennis March 12, 2011 at 1:09 am

Lora
you will be in our prayers constantly, its hard to understand what you are going through unless you have gone through it yourself…they tell you, you have cancer, but its ok, its curable, but all our lives we have lived in fear of those words….so when you hear them, you think I have so many things to do yet…they told me the same thing 4 years ago, and after 10 weeks of treatments they told me everything should be fine….I could take a deep breath again….
so much has changed in our lifetimes, cancer is no longer a death sentence, so when they tell you its curable, it is……we live in the age of medical miracles….so thank God, and hold your family close….we will always be here for you, and expect to see you baking for a very long time….
always your friend
Dennis

kitchenarian March 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. It is obvious that God has already graced you with his strength and love. He will give you the courage you need.
And about those brownies – keep cooking, I will be waiting for all 49 of those brownie recipes!

Sending warm thoughts your way.

Kim Kelly March 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Oh, Lora…. I’m so sorry to read your post. I had a cancer scare a few months ago, moving form a mammogram to a hurried biopsy and days of waiting. I lived life in a fog for those 10 days of waiting. Mine did not have the same result as yours but I’m scheduled for more testing in a few weeks just as a follow up. I can’t say I know what you are going through, but I can relate to all the thoughts that swirled through your head about your kids. I was already making plans for how my kids would make it without me. They had told me the same thing, if you have it it will be very curable. I took solace in that, but the fears still crept in. The treatments of today have come so far! We have to wonderful success stories of teachers at our school who have cancers that were not really curable, but they have both been 5 years without return. And look at your family history, looks like there is some wonderful success. That pic of your dad is one of my favorite all time pictures, BTW… he looks so happy, and I love the sweater (even in Florida’s temps!)
You are most definitely in our prayers and thoughts and will be there each and every day. Keep us posted if you want to, we will all be cheering for you!

Laura J. March 14, 2011 at 2:07 am

Prayers and positive energy coming your way.

Jamie March 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Oh Lora, I feel terrible I’ve been away and missed this! I am sending you out huge, warm, very tight hugs and I will be thinking of you, darling friend. Love your wonderful family and think positive thoughts.. xoxo

968a96fc-5271-11e0-98b1-000f20980440 March 19, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I found your site thru your recipe for Fat Witch Brownies today. Just finished reading your story. You & your family will be in my prayers.

Your positive attitude, the support of family & friends and above all faith in the Lord will get you through this rough patch. Life is like a tapestry, my grandmother said, we see the knots and God sees the finished picture.

Many times I wish He didn’t give me so many knots. Over the course of my life, I’ve found that some of the greatest learning opportunities have come through those knots.

Later on, I’ve crossed paths with others who were walking the road I’d been down & I was blessed to help them in their time of need, out of my own “knotty” experiences.

May you be able to come out of this able to share your experience with others in their time of need. Blessings & Prayers!

Amanda Kate April 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

After reading this, I am officially a follower. I feel your strength even through these words typed on a computer screen, so I can only imagine your presence in reality. Not to mention the DELISH looking/sounding recipes!! God does not hand us anything he thinks we cannot handle – if He brings us to it, He will bring us through it. You’re in my prayers, fighter.

javed vardi August 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm

It looks so delicious, Even i showed this blog to my mum and she promised me that she will prepare pizza for me from this browni recipe . And i love to have it.