Baked Cake Donuts with Chocolate Glaze

by cakeduchess on March 16, 2011 · 62 comments

cakedonut2

Could I possibly love a donut that wasn’t fried? IS a donut a REAL donut if it isn’t fried in oil? I am like almost every other person that walks on this planet: I adore DONUTS!
But fried donuts don’t like my hips too much. Plus all that fried stuff  is bad for my porcelain complexion. I’d been searching high and low for a donut pan. I looked everywhere! How silly did I feel when I realized there was a Sur la Table store 20 minutes from my house! And it has been there for the past few years! Luckily, I stumbled into a few Sundays ago and grabbed a donut pan! I will be back soon to grab another one because these donuts were delicious!
My daughter was a little skeptical, “Mommy, how could they be REAL donuts if they aren’t fried?” A true donut connoisseur at such a young age. And then she caught a glimpse of the shiny glaze and pretty sprinkles. She had one. Luca had a powdered sugar one. Then they fought over sharing a glazed one. Donut chaos ensued! It was loud and obnoxious; sprinkles and powdered sugar everywhere. Fabrizio and I shared a powdered one with an espresso.

We all liked them. I meant to say, we all LOVED THEM!
cakedonut1
Don’t think you are getting the same texture as a fried donut. It’s not the same thing, but a really close second without all the artery clogging fried goodness. The texture is cake like-light and fluffy.

I promise I’m not steering you in the wrong direction…you should really try them.Smile
cakedonut3
Baked Cake Donuts
slightly adapted from Wilton
yields one dozen

2 cups cake flour, sifted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk*
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted

* I used 3/4 cup whole milk with a tablespoon of white vinegar. I let it sit for a minute and then it magically turns into buttermilk.

Preheat your oven to 425°F.

Spray your donut pan with non-stick baking (or cooking) spray.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk and beaten eggs.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, vanilla sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
Carefully spoon the batter into about 2/3 full. A cleaner way to add the mixture is to pipe the batter into the pan.
Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the tops of the donuts spring back when lightly touched. (I should’ve baked this 2 minutes less. They still ROCKEDSmile)
Allow to cool in the pan for a couple minutes. Remove the donuts onto a rack to finish cooling before you glaze them.

You get to decide how you like your donuts! Do you like a rich chocolate glaze?

Chocolate Glaze1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon water

You could make this glaze in your microwave or with a double boiler. I did the double boiler method because I don’t own a microwave.

If you want to microwave, here is how you can do it:
Microwave on 50 % power for about 1 minute, stirring in-between, until melted.
Stir in the 1 teaspoon hot water until the glaze has thickened. You can add another teaspoon hot water if the glaze is too thick.
Are you ready for the best part? Chocolate dipping!
Then set these gorgeous chocolate gems on the rack to dry. But first add your sprinkles!!
cakedonut4
Or how about shaking them in a bag full of powdered sugar? I think you will be like us and like BOTH ways!Smile

Confectioner’s Sugar Donuts
In a plastic zipped lock bag, add 2/3 cups confectioner’s sugar. Add a your donuts one at a time and shake until they are nicely coated.
We’ll be making these again and again. It’s hard not to when the recipe is just a cinch and the results are so good!
cakedonut5
If you have a minute, stop by over here at Babble and click that you “Like” meSmileplease! I am so grateful to have been nominated for a Top 100 Food Mom Blog! Click the alphabetical order option. Much easier to find me that way. Here’s the link:

Thank you so much!

Hope you’re having a wonderful week! My kids are on Spring break. We plan on playing a little in the sand.Smile

Thanks for stopping by!!

Elizabeth Ann (Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box March 16, 2011 at 2:27 am

Ok. . . these look incredible! :-) PERFECT Saturday morning breakfast! :-) AND I voted for yoU! :-)

domenicacooks March 16, 2011 at 2:44 am

These look beautiful, Lora. I’m curious about the texture. Are they very different from fried doughnuts? Are they similar to a coffee cake or a muffin in texture? Grazie!

A little bit of everything March 16, 2011 at 3:37 am

i’m one of those that don’t make donuts because i’m afraid of frying, but baking, i LOVE it.
i’m going to look for a pan this weekend and make some donuts. thanks for sharing Lora

Sue March 16, 2011 at 4:00 am

What a delicious alternative to fried! They sure look the same as the original. Thank Lora!

Sanjeeta kk March 16, 2011 at 4:20 am

Wow, for long I was avoiding Donut like plaque..but not any more :) Would love to bake mine too. The glaze would be set for the kids and the plain one for the mommy. They look perfect and I can indulge in it guilt free!

chefpandita.com March 16, 2011 at 4:48 am

Months ago I ordered Lara Ferroni’s book + a donut pan but haven’t made a single donut yet. I must say your donuts look just like the fried ones!

I just voted for you but got confused… there are two entries for your blog! [I liked them both] good luck, Lora! xo

Jeannie March 16, 2011 at 5:59 am

I like! Really must try this out, looks delicious minus the oil!

Bridgett ~ La Bella Cook March 16, 2011 at 6:43 am

Baked are just as delicious as fried, just without the guilt. I will take a dozen please :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

Those powdered sugar donuts look gorgeous! They are still donuts to me:-)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 16, 2011 at 11:06 am

I’m more of a cake doughnut person anyways so these would be right up my alley!

Lizzy March 16, 2011 at 11:13 am

This is exactly what my family requests from the bakery…so I’d love to introduce them to your non-fried version. They look fantastic!!

Blog is the New Black March 16, 2011 at 11:59 am

These look awesome, Lora! I just got a donut pan. :)

egb March 16, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Yum! I love donuts so this is a must try!!

Wilde in the Kitchen March 16, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I’ve been going back and forth on buying this donut pan. Everytime I see beautiful results like this I head to Amazon again :) Great looking glaze!

Pretend Chef March 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I think I would like baked donuts more than fried. I fried some donuts for our Christmas Eve tradition but I think this method would be much safer and less time consuming. I’d rather spend more time creating toppings! I need to get those donut pans. The search is on! Yummy!

Jamie March 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

What perfect donuts! Yum! And boy they look delicious! Yeah, I often order baked donuts in bakeries and donut shops when I’m in the US because of my hips :-) What a great recipe and one I will try! Donut lover that I am I think these will really hit the spot.

Claire Gallam March 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

OMG THESE LOOK AMAZING!! I need a cake pan!

ravienomnoms March 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I really really realllllly want to try and make donuts! I think I am going to try and make them after Lent…I gave up all sweets for Lent so I can’t have them til Easter. These look really amazing!

A Thought For Food March 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm

They’re mini bundt cakes! I love it!

Evan Thomas March 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm

These look delicious. I’d never be able to guess they weren’t the real thing.

Roxan March 16, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Mmmm donut. These look awesome! I wish I could have one right now – I’d pick the one that’s covered up in good ol’ powdered sugar. Have you tried making yeasted baked donuts yet? They taste even closer to the traditional fried ones!

Renathe Schneider March 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm

OMG!!!! I want some now :)

Fresh and Foodie March 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Yummy! I love that donut pan! My brother and his girlfriend gave me a donut maker for Christmas but I haven’t used it yet. I think your post just gave me some inspiration! The powdered sugar one looks especially delish.

Feast on the Cheap March 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I never eat donuts because I generally steer clear of fried foods, but I have a MAJOR sweet tooth… I love that these aren’t fried and they’re still amazing, definitely need to pick up one of those donut pans

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow March 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Those look AMAZING. I think these could definitely make me love a donut that isn’t fried. Yum!!

kita March 16, 2011 at 2:46 pm

These look great. I have been itching to try another donut recipe since I made the donut holes a while back. I love the powdered sugar coating. Mmm

Shannon March 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm

WOW!! I especially love the powdered sugar donuts!! They look amazing! I HAVE to get a donut pan! Thanks for sharing…..Now i’m craving donuts!

foodiesonthefly March 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Maybe I’ll host a donut tasting party this weekend…

Sandra March 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I need that pan asap…looks so good and delicious!

Evan @SwEEts March 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Ive been wanting to use my donut pan since I bought and I told myself this weekend would be the day! Now I don’t know what recipe to use because yours sounds fabulous!

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines March 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I’ll go vote right now! You are killing me, waiving those in front of me. I love donuts, they just don’t love me as much. He He I think the sifted cake flour is what really lightened them up. Have a great week.
-Gina-

Magic of Spice March 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I think baked donuts are a fantastic idea and these look wonderful…I “Liked” you :)

Jean March 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I think I would love these, too. Your daughter is too cute for knowing the finer points of donut making. :-) I’ll have mine with sprinkles, please!

tastesbetterwithfriends March 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm

So what you’re saying is that these donuts are good for everyone’s porcelaine like complexion? :)

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm

OK, I officially need a donut pan. Lora, these are to die for!! What an awesome and fun recipe for kids to help out with, and a yummy breakfast treat. Thanks for sharing! :)

Angie's Recipes March 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Those look stunning! Well, I think I would go for the baked one in future!

Lindsey March 16, 2011 at 7:58 pm

My husband would go crazy if I made him some of these for breakfast. :) What a fabulous way to start your day!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels March 16, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh my word I need these now!!! I have to make them asap, I can hear them calling my name. :) I love the sprinkles!

Jennifer March 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I’ve had baked donuts. And while I’m not a fan, yours are making me think twice. They look soooooooooo good!

Raina March 16, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I have been wanting to get one of those pans. Your donuts came out perfect. They look amazing.

I voted for you on Babble:)

Christina March 16, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Oh donuts how I love thee. These look amazingly delicious!!

Happy When Not Hungry March 16, 2011 at 10:31 pm

These look amazing Lora! I love that they are baked. I definitely need to buy a donut pan from Sur La Table!!!

Celia March 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm

These look delicious – and like so much fun to make! I’m totally doing this one with my littlest stepsister…

Reeni March 17, 2011 at 1:06 am

This is the second baked doughnut post I’ve seen today – it’s a sign! They look positively scrumptious! I LOVE that they are baked. Can’t wait to make some of my own! xoxo

Danielle March 17, 2011 at 1:55 am

These look fantastic! Now I want to go out an buy a doughnut pan!

Terra March 17, 2011 at 2:28 am

I love donuts too!!! Really, you are telling me I can enjoy them again, and without the guilt? You ROCK!!! I will definitely have to try them soon. I have been hungry for a donut lately:)
Take care,
Terra

bunkycooks March 17, 2011 at 2:38 am

I would not have known these were baked…shhh. I would love to try these. They look like those awesome fried donuts that we don’t need to eat!

sara @ CaffeIna March 17, 2011 at 4:56 am

I love baked donuts too and these ones look fantastic! Maybe with a different glaze for me, poor chocolate non-lover but the donuts themselves look amazing

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE March 17, 2011 at 6:36 am

They look like “real” donuts to me! I’ve got to try this. :)

Emily Malloy March 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I have never made donuts like that before! I am so intrigued and dying to try!

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen March 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I dont really like doughnut because they r deep fried! no wait not that I don’t like deep fried food, I just don’t like donut deep fried. So this fits right in!

alana March 17, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Wow they look so good,thanx for the idea.

Spicie Foodie March 18, 2011 at 12:01 am

In the words of a very wise man, “mmm donuts” It’s too bad our hips don’t like them as much as my tummy. I didn’t even know there were donut pans, hehe. They look amazing and if I was there I’d also be fighting over one, or three:)

Claudia March 18, 2011 at 1:53 am

I had to laugh at your daughter even questioning the validity of the doughnuts. But looking at your results – I won’t question. They look fabulous and if I can avoid deep frying – and I usually can – I do. The photos are luscious! Now, excuse me – must go vote.

marla March 18, 2011 at 2:49 am

I have been seeing baked donuts on so many awesome blogs & I too have been coveting a baked donut pan. These are gorgeous & I must try making them pronto!
Gonna go vote for you now…

Elin March 18, 2011 at 8:47 am

Lora..this baked ones are much healthier than the fried ones. I would love to try this out. First I have to get the donut mold and I am going to try this baked ones for sure :) Thanks for sharing and I am happy that you are back to baking :)
*hugs
Elin

Susi March 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Lora, if you wouldn’t have told me these are baked donuts I would have never been the wiser. They look positively delicious and are healthier. I think this is a win-win situation. I must find one of these awesome pans :o)

Carole March 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I’ve always wanted to make baked donuts–after Lent, for sure.

Becky March 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm

These doughnuts look like fried doughnuts, but they are baked not fried, and they are real! Great Job!

megan @ whatmegansmaking March 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm

oh man, I wish I had a donut right now! They look awesome!

Kim - Liv Life March 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Oh, how my daughter would love these!! I have somewhat of a frying phobia… I’ve never done it, and I just don’t see myself doing it anytime soon. These guys fit the bill

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. June 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm