Sexy Pancetta Green Beans-French Fridays with Dorie

by cakeduchess on February 18, 2011 · 42 comments

pancettagreenbeans
Are green beans sexy? Smothered in butter and olive oil; crispy and salty pancetta on top of all that buttery goodness. Mmm…that is sexy!

I was looking forward to this week’s French Friday with Dorie recipe. Not as much as I was for the Orange-Almond Tart, but I definitely was interested. I was interested because I do cook green beans for my kids. And broccoli. They could eat it every day. I’m lucky.

Unfortunately, my kids didn’t get to sample these beans because the chef (that would be me) ate it all before photographing, while photographing, while making the rest of dinner. So there you have it. Hubby didn’t get a break from work today, so he didn’t get a sample. It was all mine (sorry kids!).

My pancetta was sliced paper thin. Green beans with the salty crunch of pancetta and just the right amount of butter. Delicious. And sexy!

As a member of French Fridays with Dorie, I get to try out different and wonderful recipes of Dorie’s with the group each Friday. The group isn’t sharing the recipes. We are encouraging you to check out Dorie’s book! I saw a copy of it at my library yesterday! Maybe your library has a copy for you too!
pancettagreenbeans2

Let’s talk Valentine’s Day. This is what I ate for lunch that day. Just me and my little guy. I called my hubby at work and said, “I have a date with a hot blonde guy. Can we come to see you?” He giggled and said, “Certo.” Of course. I have mentioned when I first started blogging that my hubs is an executive chef. My Valentine’s Day is actually not that exciting. He is working his buns off on the busiest date night of the year. He works the whole day from 9 am until 12 AM. Straight.
Vitello Tonnato: Veal sliced paper thin with an amazing tuna based sauce and other yummy things.Winking smile
Since we’ve been together, we have never had an actual Valentine’s night together and I’m ok with it. This is Spaghetti alla Chitarra with Lobster. Those are zucchini in there. The spaghetti are made by scratch at the restaurant. It is fabulous with any sauce. I can’t even tell you how delicious this was. This makes it all better.Smile

The night before Valentine’s Day he was off of work. He has been dying to make us sushi again. He made it at home about 5 years ago. On Sunday after a birthday party, we went to Whole Foods and bought the fish. We all made sushi together. The sushi was incredible. I made pad Thai noodles. That was our romantic dinner… with the kids.

Romance is overrated!Winking smile
How was your Valentine’s? Smile

I hope your week has been fabulous! I’m THRILLED about my guest posters that are coming up next week! You all will love them and you will be drooling!! I am getting my procedure that I was talking a little about before.
I really appreciate your prayers and good wishes!! I have been in limbo this past month waiting for the big day. My doctor couldn’t fit me in any sooner. It’s going to be a busy and sort of stressful week next week. If you don’t hear from me on your blog or on Twitter, know that I am here and am maybe silently enjoying your tweets and posts.
Ah! Who am I kidding…you’ll be hearing from me!Winking smile
I am so grateful for my friends.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow February 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Yum!!! Those look so good! (bacon makes it better). Your sushi looks great too!!

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite February 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm

These were a wonderful dish and I totally understand how you ate the whole lot yourself. Ahem!

Nelly Rodriguez February 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Yum! All your pictures look fantastic!

Emily Malloy February 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm

You’re in my prayers!

And this is DEFINITELY sexy :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums February 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

What gorgeous food! Those green beans are sexy indeed.

Cheers,

Rosa

Kim at Coffee Pot Chronicles February 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I got to watch “You Again” with the hubs on Valentine’s Day…and laugh my ass off at Betty White’s antics. Good times.

Those green beans…oh, I’m drooling. Who knew green beans could be so darn sexy and alluring? Hmm. Maybe I should have known. You can keep the seafood though. I can’t eat it. Drat.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels February 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

You’re be in my thoughts and prayers Lora! :) *hugs*
Your green beans are GORGEOUS! I loved how you sliced the pancetta very thin.
And all of that delicious food, YUM!!!

Dionne Baldwin - Try Anything Once February 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

First of all, these green beans look amazing. I don’t blame you for snacking away at these until they are all GONE! (I’d do the same thing!) I really love the looks of that sushi. Makes me want some real bad!

Second, I hope everything goes smoothly next week. I’ll be thinking of you and tweeting you to be one of the many reminding you that we care. Happy Friday!

Sandra February 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

MMM..I can dive in all of it! Looks incredible! Yummy!

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) February 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Lora, you have such a great sense of humor. These green beans with pancetta are SUPER sexy indeed! What a tasty side dish. And wow, impressive sushi too! Seems like you have some multitalented cooks in the house, haha. :)

Lizzy February 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Your beans were a hit! And all the rest of your fabulous offerings look amazing…your sweetie’s sushi is especially calling my name…perfection!!! My thoughts and prayers will be with you next week…hope it all goes smoothly…

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} February 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Sure these green beans are sexy – especially smothered in all that stuff!! Love this recipe.

blackbookkitchendiaries February 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm

everything looks so yummy! i love green bean and your version looks delicious:) thanks for sharing this post and wish you lots of love sweetie .. you will be in my thoughts and prayers*hugs*

kita February 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I love green beans – so yeah, they rock some sexy! These look delicious.

Michael Toa February 18, 2011 at 6:53 pm

The green beans are definitely sexy. I would totally eat them all too.
All the other dishes are looking sexy too. Yum. ;)

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } February 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Pancetta and beans = yummy! I would agree that they look sexy. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

A Thought For Food February 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Without a doubt I’d say that’s sexy! But when you load anything with butter and pancetta, it’s going to put you in the mood.

Stephanie February 18, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I’m all about sexy food! I love green beans, especially when they are prepared simply and beautifully!

Wow, looks like you had a marvelous Valentine’s Day!! Everything looked delightful!

Susi February 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Pancetta is very sexy and so are your great looking green beans :o) In fact, all of your meals look fantastic.
Hope everything goes well for you next week, I’ll be thinking of you!

Kate @ Diethood.com February 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Sexy, indeed! I can only imagine the yumminess of the green beans paired up with the pancetta… and the aroma! YUM!

Sandra February 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Those beans are indeed sexy! Glad you had a great Valentine’s Day and you’re in my prayers.

kitchenarian February 19, 2011 at 12:25 am

We have already eaten these green beans twice this week. They are so delicious. I ate them all the first time so I made them again. It was a great recipe.
Sending prayers your way next week and look forward to your return.

Cher February 19, 2011 at 1:32 am

Very lovely – and you got to have a “hot date”.

Good luck!

Reeni February 19, 2011 at 1:49 am

There is definitely something sexy about these green beans! Not to mention delicious! I hope everything goes well for you – your in my thoughts and prayers! *HUGS*

Zoe February 19, 2011 at 2:02 am

I am adding this to my favourites! Pancetta makes everything more delicious :)

Claudia February 19, 2011 at 2:35 am

Sweet, loving, sexy posting! I wish I could get it together to do French Fridays with Dorie – I keep meaning to…and between you and me – I would have devoured those beans and not shared with family either!

Best of luck and good thoughts and prayers in the coming days.

Ilke February 19, 2011 at 2:38 am

Fingers crossed! Wish you luck this coming week! I am sure everything will turn out great…

tricia s. February 19, 2011 at 3:05 am

Great post – funny, informative and photos that had my mouth watering !!! We loved the beans as well but I would be hardpressed to add fried pancetta to something and not eat the whole thing (good to you for keeping it real:) Good luck with your health issues.

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate February 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I completely understand why you didn’t share those beans…. just the photo has my mouth watering! For Valentine’s Day my girls made us a chocolate (that turned into red velvet) cake.

I’ll be thinking of you next week! Remember, you have lots of “virtual” friend support too!

Magic of Spice February 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Your beans look perfect! And your valentines dinner looks amazing, even if your husband was working at least you had your date and dinner :)
Your in my thoughts and wishing you a great weekend…

Flourchild February 20, 2011 at 12:05 am

Ha thats the first time I’ve heard green beans called sexy! I think yours look really sexy..mine look really un sexy!! Im glad you had a nice V. day! We rocked some gb with our vday dinner too!!!

Chef Dennis February 20, 2011 at 1:25 am

hi Lora
those beans are beautiful! but what really caught my eye was that lovely lobster dish! I think I am going to have to make that for dinner, it looks absolutely delicious..
I remember those days of working every holiday, I may miss the excitement, but I certainly don’t miss the work!
Cheers
Dennis

Chef Pandita February 20, 2011 at 2:18 am

You really made this dish look sexy :)

Reading about your husband being a chef made me think of one time when I sent my bf to the supermarket to get me onions. He brought me garlic :p his excuse was “I took the bag from the ‘onion’ section”. Hilarious! At least he gets me good wine :)

Re: Valentine’s, we don’t celebrate it since we are surprising each other all the time with small gifts and I cook for him all the time :) I did bake brownies for the staff at the gym.

You are in my prayers and I know everything will be fine! <3 xo

Cookin' Canuck February 20, 2011 at 4:31 am

I would definitely agree that these are sexy. What a feast you had!

Lana February 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

My husband called the beans sexy, too:) So simple, easy, and flavorful – what else can we ask form a side dish? Great photo of the sexy beast(s)!
Vitello Tonnato – bliss:) Lucky girl! I don’t need to go anywhere else for a while, that would be enough, thank you:)

Lot-O-Choc February 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Oh wow this looks delicious, your pictures are making my mouth water hehe!

baking.serendipity February 21, 2011 at 3:44 am

I never thought of green beans as sexy before, but these definitely are :) I love a fancied up veggie as part of a meal :)

claire February 21, 2011 at 4:53 am

mmm those look amazing! i love pancetta and greenbeans, but never thought to combine!

onewetfoot February 21, 2011 at 8:17 am

Great photos! My brother is a chef, so my sister-in-law can relate to your Valentine’s Day experience. This year, he made her a special dinner the day before Valentine’s Day.

Good luck with your procedure.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE February 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Pork fat does wonders to “sexy up” other foods! ;)

Steph February 22, 2011 at 1:12 am

Totally sexy…no way getting around it! you’re in my thoughts!!

Allison February 25, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Your green beans are sexy! How did you do that? Oh gorgeous!