Pear and Caramel Bundt Cake

by cakeduchess on February 15, 2011 · 60 comments

pearcaramel1

I have crushed on certain celebrities. When I was younger, it was Prince and Madonna. I also sort of liked Chad Lowe. Yes, Chad Lowe.

I even once wrote him a fan letter. It went something like this: “Dear Chad, I think you’re really cute. Please write me back. Love,  Your Favorite Fan”
Pitiful or hopeless romantic? A little pitiful. Gosh, I’m so embarrassed!

I checked my mail every day. For months. Alas, no return letter. Ever. I was crushed by my crush. I lost all faith in Chad and then moved onto his older brother Rob. I didn’t dare write him a letter. My mom told me to not waste my time on frivolous celebrities.

Years after my crush, I ran into Rob at a local restaurant. He was with his wife and kids. Those blue eyes; my husband had to hold me back from rushing the table to get an autograph.
Now that I’m more wise and mature, I crush on baking ingredients. Like these gorgeous Caramel Bits! They are all mine and I can do whatever I want with them. Forget celebrities.

The caramel pieces melt just fine and nestle perfectly in this moist and buttery buttermilk batter. I only added 1/2 cup of the Caramel Bits. You could add more. You could even melt and drizzle some on top!had to please my main crush and he prefers a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top.Winking smile  The Limoncello is made by my mother-in-law. I smuggled it back last summer from Italy. Lemon or orange juice could work just fine instead.

.DSCN5962

1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoon Limoncello or juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ripe Anjou pears peel and core-cut into small chunks
1/2 cup Caramel Bits *(you could add more if you like)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add your cut pears to a medium sized bowl with the Limoncello or lemon juice. Stir around and let sit while you do the other cake parts. Grease Bundt pan or 9-inch round cake pan and dust it with flour. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, on medium-high speed beat the sugar and butter together until nice and fluffy (approximately 3-4 minutes.)

Change the mixer to low speed and beat in each egg, one at a time. After you add each egg in, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of bowl with a spatula.  Stir in the flour and the buttermilk. With mixer on low speed, mix in 1/3 of the flour. Mix in 1/2 the buttermilk. Mix in another 1/3 of flour mixture. Add the rest of the buttermilk. Mix in the rest of the flour until combined.  Fold in the pears and the Caramel Bits.

Scrape out the batter into your prepared pan. Smooth out the top with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto your serving platter. Some Caramel Bits may stick to the sides of the pan.

Dust generously with powdered sugar when completely cool.

My friend Mateja from Indulging Life gave me a lovely award the other day. Thank you for thinking of me Mateja!Smile

Do you like to Facebook? If you do, say “CIAO” to me over there! If you want to know where I really spend all my time (shhh! Please don’t tell my hubby!), then come on over here to Twitter!Winking smile

Hope you are having a BEAUTIFUL week! Thanks for stopping by!!

Sandra February 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

You are the queen of Bundt cakes..looks amazing and wish I have one piece right now with my coffee!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow February 15, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Yum! It looks so delicious! I love breakfast desserts!

ravienomnoms February 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

That looks so delicious!

Wilde in the Kitchen February 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Pear and caramel sounds fantastic! I’ll be on the lookout for those caramel bits!

Cookette February 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

This looks great! Can’t wait to try it! The little bits of caramel nestled in there sold me!

Lin Ann February 15, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Sounds divine!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs February 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm

This looks so yummy. I think I have a bag of those caramel bits in my pantry (note to self:clean out pantry since you don’t know what might be in there) so I am looking forward to trying this soon. I also love your first photo – the way the light hits the cake makes it look heavenly.

Steph February 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I saw caramel bits at the store the other day and was curious…now I know what to make with them!! Holy yum, this cake needs to be in my tummy!

Celia February 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Oh wow…I’m going to have to keep an eye out for Caramel Bits…

Cheryl and Adam February 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Never had pear and caramel together, what a great combination! This must be simply delicious…

Angie's Recipes February 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm

The caramel and pear in a bundt cake…that does sound heavenly!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels February 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Oh my does that cake look soooo good. I love the idea of using the caramel bits in the cake and I just adore pears.

I wrote a letter to Johnathan Taylor Thomas (aka JTT) when I was younger. He wrote me back and told me about how he was working on his new movie. Pure love!

Christine Wu February 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Now I start to understand why your husband said something about it’s hard to lose weight in your house. It’d be so hard to resist the temptation not to eat the whole thing!

Rob Lowe is so much cuter than Chad, IMO. ;) As a kid, I used to have a crush on MacGyver & Al Pacino. My mom said they’re old enough to be my dad or grandpa :(

Aggie February 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm

aw man! that looks delicious! I have such a thing for bundt cakes, I love making them. They always turn out so pretty! What a yummy combination!

Evan @swEEts February 15, 2011 at 10:02 pm

How did I miss this this morning?! Sounds perfect for the warm days we’re finally getting. I wrote JTT a fan letter once when I was a kid and actually got a letter back from him! Yes, maybe it was a postcard that he sent to everyone but I felt special at the time haha

Pretend Chef February 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Haha! You are too cute! I’ve had my share of teeny bopper crushes. Ahh. This looks so delicious and who knew Limoncello could be used to bake with and not just served over a glass of ice? Haha! Not that I do that as my dessert after itty bitty has gone to sleep.

Kankana February 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm

oh those childhood crush .. i remember having this huge crush on this actor in India and i was in 5th standard . Once day we came to know that he got married .. the cried the whole night and didn’t eat .. how silly is that ??? !!!! LOL

Cookin' Canuck February 15, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Cute post! My teenaged crush was Roger Taylor (Duran Duran drummer).

Pears and caramel nestled into a cake sounds heavenly.

Maria February 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Love the caramel addition! Great cake!

briarrose February 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Caramel and pear….lovely combination and a beautiful bundt.

Sandra February 16, 2011 at 12:09 am

Pears and Caramel in a bundt cake? I’m there! This is such a yummy treat.

Kate @ Diethood.com February 16, 2011 at 12:52 am

I am sipping on my tea and drooling over your cake! I love pears… never thought to use them up the way you did… great job, as always.

Raina February 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

This is so unique. I love it. It sounds wonderful…a refreshing change to the chocolately treats I have been having lately. Wish I had some of limoncello too:)

I am not on Facebook but am planning to…one of these days.

Ilke February 16, 2011 at 1:28 am

Oh Lora! I just got back from my first workout in 8 months, and now I feel like I gained all the calories back by just looking at it!
By the way, we had limoncello when were in Rome in Sept. Boy, that thing is strong!!! If you have a recipe, I would love it!

Angela FRS February 16, 2011 at 1:50 am

Looks like heaven. I would have jumped on Rob Lowe…

El February 16, 2011 at 2:01 am

This cake is divine. I wish I had some right now!

Jaime {sophistimom} February 16, 2011 at 2:03 am

Don’t worry, I had a little crush on Chad Lowe, too. Wasn’t he on that show “Life Goes On?”

Happy When Not Hungry February 16, 2011 at 2:08 am

This cake looks amazing! So jealous that you used your mother-in-law’s homemade Limoncello… yum! Love the caramel bites too!

A Thought For Food February 16, 2011 at 2:46 am

I love a good bundt cake and with the pears in there to give it moisture, I bet this one is divine!

Denise February 16, 2011 at 2:52 am

Gorgeous cake!! Funny the talk of teen crushes….brings back the days :) Rob Lowe is on Parks and Recreation these days and cute as ever! Loved John Taylor of Duran Duran…a few of my first crushes were Erik Estrada of Chips fame, Bo Duke of Dukes of Hazard & Rick Springfield on General Hospital.

I recently was discussing something along these lines on a blog post (draft). Hasn’t made it to the blog though & now not sure what capacity was I discussing it in. Too funny!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen

Sprinkled with Flour February 16, 2011 at 2:53 am

I love pear and caramel together, and putting them in bundt cake form is genius:) I really need some of this now!

sara @ CaffeIna February 16, 2011 at 4:50 am

Oh I know, I’m crazy about caramel bits too! But you also matched them with pears…why do i have the feeling that this bundt could become our new favorite breakfast treat?

Jessica February 16, 2011 at 7:29 am

This looks awesome! Love the combo of flavors!

michelle @ The Domestic Mama and The Village Cook February 16, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Yum, looks delish… I need to find some of those caramels, too. :)

Lizzy February 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Oh, boy, I love the idea of these caramel bits…no unwrapping…hooray! And I think I could have a slice for breakfast, right? Fruit is involved…at least that’s my rationalization! Such a lovely cake, Lora :)

The Mom Chef February 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Do you know how jealous this one line: ” I smuggled it back last summer from Italy,” made me? On so, so many levels. I think I deserve a piece of this insanely wonderful cake in compensation. :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking February 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm

what a unique flavor combination! This sounds wonderful!

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 16, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Wow, this looks delicious! I do happen to have some limoncello sitting in my apartment…

Elle February 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm

How could this not be delicious? It’s got so many wonderful things in it! And yeah, I’d have had my eyes on Rob all evening, too.

Susi February 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I have a bag of these caramel bits in my pantry and wasn’t sure what to make with them. Well, this has definitely changed with this beautiful bundt cake! It sounds amazing :o)
Oh, and I’m not sure I would have been able to contain myself if I ran into Rob Lowe ;o)

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) February 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Oh my goodness, Lora, what a marvelous flavor combination. I love baking with pears – They have such a natural sweetness and richness. This is such a beautiful cake and I bet tastes even better than it looks. Thanks for sharing!

chefpandita February 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Nice crumb on your cake! Looks scrumptious :)

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan February 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm

beautiful! before I became vegan I would eat those caramels by the handful!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners February 17, 2011 at 12:41 am

Bundt cakes are simply my favorite. Have you seen the Food Librarian’s 30 days of Bundt Cakes? Anyway, I’m glad I stumbled upon your blog, this recipe looks delightful.

polwig February 17, 2011 at 12:53 am

I have a crush on those caramel bits too but I think I really have a crush on your mother in law… any woman that can make a good Limoncello is a Godess :)

Chef Dennis February 17, 2011 at 2:07 am

hi Lora

pears and caramel are soooo good together, and what delicious cake that must have been…what I wouldn’t give to have a big slice with my coffee tomorrow morning!! Do you deliver?
hope your week is going well
Dennis

Magic of Spice February 17, 2011 at 4:13 am

What a glorious combination…too funny about your crushes, and I agree stick with ingredients. I think I would knock over the most stunning man in the world to get at a truffle, lol
Congratulations on the award, well deserved :)

Tiffany February 18, 2011 at 5:24 pm

The caramel bits in the cake sounds wonderful!

Lindsey @ trail to train February 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm

You had me at ‘pear & caramel’. How did you know that is one of my most FAVORITEST food combinations in the world?!
(swoon)

Elizabeth February 22, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Pears, caramel, and limoncello sound like a match made in heaven. I would love to give this a try, it looks absolutely incredible!

Denine Anderson-Regan February 25, 2011 at 6:26 pm

This looks delicious – my son LOVES pears and I am always trying to add them to baked goods whenever I can. Yum!

Jackie October 12, 2011 at 4:39 am

Hi

How do you melt the caramel bits to put on this cake and do I add anything else with the caramel bits when melting.

Cake Duchess October 12, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hi Jackie-I would follow the melting instructions that comes with the bag. Once melted, you could drizzle on top of the bundt after you’ve baked it. I only sifted powdered sugar in top because my husband likes it without any drizzles.:)

Anonymous September 28, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Can regular, individually wrapped caramels, chopped up be used?

Anonymous September 28, 2012 at 1:01 pm

In the cake, I mean – we can’t get caramel bits in Canada :(

Cake Duchess September 29, 2012 at 1:28 am

Yes-you can chop up caramels. Sounds wonderful:)

Kim Grey March 2, 2012 at 7:36 am

Pears are one of my favourite fruits. This cake looks delicious!

Anonymous September 14, 2013 at 9:05 am

Since most of the posts said the cake LOOKS good, I thought I would actually try it and post the results. It is in the oven now. Will check back in later with the reviews.

Anonymous September 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm

The cake is quite delicious! Took less time to bake than stated in the recipe, but my bundt pan is quite large. The colour of mine is quite a bit darker than in the picture, more like a spice cake. I wondered about the amount of baking soda and I did find that there was quite a pronounced taste of soda and will experiment with trying less the next time. The caramel and pear are a match made in heaven and the limoncello is a nice touch.

cakeduchess September 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Great to hear! Yes, baking time could vary depending on your oven and cake pan size. Sounds like it was delicious and I’m happy you enjoyed the recipe. Caramel and pear are so lovely together.