Orange- Almond Tart–French Fridays with Dorie

by cakeduchess on February 11, 2011 · 47 comments

orangealmond1

I was giddy with joy when I saw what the next recipe was for French Fridays with Dorie! I am in LOVE with this torte. A buttery crust filled with thick almond cream and topped with sweet Florida oranges. Heaven!
I baked this tart yesterday afternoon. My hubby came in the kitchen and said, “It’s so hard to stay thin in this house with all this baking.” Then he sauntered back in a few minutes later after the tart cooled and said a little sheepishly, “Bravissima! This is really a beautiful crostata.”  Then he sliced us both a piece. The kids were busy working on their Valentine’s for school at the dining room table. Every inch of the table was covered in Finding Nemo, football, and glittery Valentine’s. Candy was being stuffed into little heart covered bags with the sweet notes of friendship.
We stood there in the kitchen and enjoyed a sort of quiet moment eating our tart and having a strong espresso.  A cherished few moments together. We gazed into each other’s eyes lovingly and fed each other forkfuls of the creamy filling topped with tangy oranges. That did not happen!
What really happened is yes, we had espresso. Yes, we both truly enjoyed this recipe. It is absolutely DELICIOUS!

orangealmond2
I loved Dorie’s recipe for pâte sablée crust. It was buttery and with a perfect texture for the almond cream. I put a strawberry glaze on top. I love the colors orange and pink together. Dorie’s book is gorgeous. The French Fridays with Dorie group is not sharing recipes. If you don’t already have this book, you should check it out. You could see the rest of the group’s recipes here and join us if you like!
orangealmond3

When I started my blog last summer, I had no idea what the response what  would be. Would anyone besides my mom read it? Would people care about my recipes and the stories I had to share?
Well people, you do care. I can’t tell you how happy it makes me. SmileIt’s been such a joy reading all of your comments. It’s beyond thrilling when someone says they are trying one of my recipes. One of the best parts of this adventure so far has been the special friendships I’ve forged. It has been such a joy getting to know so many other food bloggers. Along the way, a bad thing happened.Winking smileI became addicted to Twitter! This addiction led me to meet some of the most wonderful foodies and other peeps. Foodbuzz has also been an incredible resource for me to find talented food bloggers from all over the world!
In the past few weeks I received some awards. I wanted to say thank you to the lovely bloggers that passed them on to me. Maybe you know them? If you don’t go on over and say “Hi!”

AwardStylish-Blogger  the-versatile-blogger

Georgie  at Georgie Cakes
Amanda  at Maroc Mama
Ilke   at Ilke’s Kitchen
Alisha at The Ardent Epicure

I was so honored to receive all of these wonderful awards. Thank you so much my friends! This next award was one I hadn’t seen yet circulating on the food blogs. I found that blogging is all about sisterhood and brotherhood; showing support and lifting up fellow bloggers. Leaving encouraging comments on a blog or a sweet message on Twitter. Little gestures that could help a fellow blogger keep on going.
If click link below, you can see how Elisabeth listed all the wonderful bloggers :   http://foodandthriftfinds.blogspot.com/2011/01/hungarian-style-cannelini-bean-soup-and.html

If you would like to participate, go ahead and you can pass this award along! I am not passing out awards to any specific bloggers. There are too many that I would have to list! I think you all deserve many awards because you are fantastic!

Here is what you mention if you are passing along the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award:
copy and paste, and pay it forward to as few, or as many SISTERS bloggers that you feel deserve it. No rules apply…just mention who it came from: Thanking you in advance, you are all a Blessing to me, my Angels!

I have one more thing to share with you! The other day we passed by the Norton Museum of Art’s 70th Birthday Party! There were some spectacular cakes to check out. Thought you might like to see some of themSmile. This one below was made by the Four Seasons on Palm Beach. They won for the design. It was GORGEOUS!

This cake was made by Café’ Boulud on Palm Beach. They won for the best flavor.
I’m not sure who made all the other cakes, but they were really amazing!

Hope you are trying to stay warm and safe. Did you like the cake photos? Aren’t they fun?Smile
Thank you for stopping by!

Kristen February 11, 2011 at 4:17 am

Those cakes are spectacular! However, your tart looks the most delicious of all. What a beauty! Congratulations on the awards, too.

Our Eyes Eat First February 11, 2011 at 4:20 am

beautiful!! You have an amazing talent : j

veggietestkitchen February 11, 2011 at 5:01 am

wow, those cakes are incredible. thanks for sharing those with us!!! it’s always great to see the food events we can’t get out to or didn’t even know about =) and your tart looks fantastic. i’m really impressed with your tart. how do you get it to look to perfectly done? the problem i’ve been having recently is that my tart crusts look jagged on the top.

Jeannie February 11, 2011 at 6:03 am

Lovely looking tart and I am drooling over those cakes photos! Gorgeous!

Sandra February 11, 2011 at 7:35 am

Gorgeous tart, stunning photos(as always) and congrats on your awards!!!

Jill Colonna February 11, 2011 at 8:24 am

You had us going there over the espresso and your beautiful crostata. What heaven! And as if that wasn’t enough your photos of these cakes are incredible. I love the cake lady with bag and shoes but they are all breathtaking! Great read and fab on the awards.

Sommer J February 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

Those cakes are gorgeous! I am in awe of some people’s creativity.

The crostata looks amazing! I love the strawberry glaze addition, makes it even prettier! I really, really want that book!

Congrats on the awards!

Carole February 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

Your tarte is gorgeous! Brava!

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite February 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

Yes I loved the tart pastry as well. It’s definitely a keeper (even though I had a few issues – but it tasted good, even if it didn’t look as pretty as yours!) Happy Friday!

Lizzy February 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Wow, your crust is perfect! Such a beautiful tart, Lora!!!! This may be my favorite Dorie recipe to date :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Wow those cakes are pretty fabulous, I love the one of the dress. Congratulations on all the awards, well deserved! You’re such a sweet person, thanks for sharing a little of yourself and your life with us here.

egbkid February 11, 2011 at 1:03 pm

The tart looks so Summery, it is very pretty. I love the cakes as well, so fashionable and unique!

Pretend Chef February 11, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I would love to be a part of French Fridays with Dorie. I just need to put aside a couple of bucks to buy the book and then I’ll be able to join in. Everything about your tart looks beautiful! I absolutely love the last two cakes! They are incredible!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels February 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Your tart is SO gorgeous, almost too pretty to eat! I love how you put a strawberry glaze on top of the tart, it adds such a nice touch.

Congrats on all of your awards, you definitely deserve every single one!

And those cakes are amazing! Wow :)

Happy When Not Hungry February 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Your tart looks delicious! I love all the flavors too!

Congrats on your awards too!!!!

Roxan February 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with your husband, bravissima! This tart looks wonderful. I love the closeup of the crust… it looks perfect.

Kathy February 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Your tart looks delicious! This is one of my favorites too!

Cookin' Canuck February 11, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Gorgeous cakes and one beautiful tart. Sorry that there was no gazing into each other’s eyes, but it sounds as though you shared a nice moment over a great dessert.

Angie's Recipes February 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Those cakes are stunning!
The tart looks fabulous and I love the combination of falvours!

briarrose February 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Wow this is a pretty tart….mmmm….almond cream. Yum!

Those cakes are just amazing.

Elle February 11, 2011 at 8:30 pm

How beautiful is that tart? It must taste incredible, too. The other cakes are fabulous, too!
Signed,
Fellow Twitter Addict.

Lucia February 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Un dolce semplicemente FANTASTICO!!!

claire February 11, 2011 at 9:04 pm

wow! this looks amazing!!

Megan February 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh my! I have been wanting to bake a tart for some time now, this looks addicting! Confratulations of the rewards & thanks for sharing the cake pics…they are amazing, so much talent!

DessertByCandy February 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Lovely orange tart! A refreshing change from the chocolate onslaught of February. :)

BakingWithoutaBox February 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Those are some good looking cakes but that is an amazing looking tart. I would’ve had to beat my hubs off of it. Congrats on all those lovely and deserved awards!

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Not sure whether to frame it or eat it! SUCH a beautiful tart and SO good! Exquisite! Thank you.

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Lora, those cakes may be mighty impressive but your orange-almond tart is the real work of art! The flavors, the texture, your photos and descriptions… mmmm! I can practically taste it from here. Thanks for sharing, doll. Have a great weekend!

Christine Wu February 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Sounds like a wonderful book. I might actually get it next month (already used my “book allowance” this month). And your tart looks so pretty!

Reeni February 12, 2011 at 12:43 am

Your tart is gorgeous! And your pictures so tempting! Those cakes are really impressive too. Congratulations on all your well-deserved awards!

Cher February 12, 2011 at 1:03 am

Your tart came out beautifully – like the thought of using strawberry jam. Congrats on the awards!

Bridgett February 12, 2011 at 3:11 am

I love the dress cake. How chic! Your tart looks like something out of a fancy French bakery and I love the sound of the almond filling. Ultra delicious!

lola February 12, 2011 at 3:24 am

Your tart is beautiful!

Ilke February 12, 2011 at 3:29 am

Hi Lora, Thanks for the mention! It is a great community and you are right about how the comments light up your mood when you receive them. I am lucky to stumble upon such great bloggers!

And those cakes! Somebody has some serious talent! All I can say! :)

Monet February 12, 2011 at 5:42 am

The cake photos are AMAZING! People are so creative and talented…I would have a hard time cutting into one of these. But, to be honest, I would actually prefer your beautiful tart. And I loved the scene you painted. Your family is just adorable. Thanks for sharing, sweetheart.

Sue February 12, 2011 at 8:55 am

Your description of your tart sounds SO mouth-watering! It looks wonderful too. Thanks for sharing these fun and amazing cakes, and CONGRATS on all the well-deserved awards, Lara!

marla February 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Your almond orange tart looks amazing! I bet it was very hard not to down a few slices in one sitting. Thanks for sharing those masterpiece cakes with us – they are so cool!. I too get soooo excited when readers try my recipes & leave comments. Happy almost Valentine’s Day :)

chefpandita February 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

That glaze makes the tart look sooo good… Can I have a slice? :)

Claudia February 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Inspired by the artistry of those cake photos but in truth – your tart via Dorie takes the cake!

Lo-mo February 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

That tart looks amazing!! Great photos of all the cakes at the party as well. I do like seeing everyone’s French Fridays creations…lovely!

tricia s. February 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Great post and thanks for all the fun cake photos…but I have to say that I loved best how you and your hubby got a special moment of peace in which to test the tart. It’s the little things in life. I often say that as good as the Dorie recipes taste, my favorite part is how good the whole house smells (and my family raves) as I cook it all.

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines February 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

OMG, those cake photos! I have to pass this recipe along to my friend Susan she was looking for orange recipes. It’s been such a pleasure getting to know you and drool over all your amazing desserts, I have so many bookmarked and I’ve been trying to be good after all the holiday eating, but I feel like that will soon be over.
Hope you and your family have a Happy Valentines Day!
-Gina-

Kate @ Diethood.com February 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm

That tart looks amazing! I love that it includes all those oranges.
Thank you for sharing all the fun and beautiful photos.

Kris' Kitchen February 13, 2011 at 4:57 am

Your tart turned out really well. My hubby says similar things about my desserts, but he loves eating them, and then he goes to the gym. It works!

Sara{OneTribeGourmet} February 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Love the yummy tart! Also thanks for sharing these lovely pics of the event! Cakes are awesome!

Lana February 15, 2011 at 8:54 am

I could swear that I left a comment a few days ago, as soon as I saw it on Twitter and read it. But, never mind, here we go again:)
I love, love, love the elegant look of your tart. Pink and yellow-orange – a great combination. My crust turned a bit darker than I expected, even though I baked the tart shorter than instructed (next time – foil on the edges:)

I was enjoying your little morning love vignette, a bit jealous of your calm and composure with small creatures around, full of energy and excitement over the V-Day. And then I laughed! How typical, but a cup of espresso can be thoroughly enjoyable:)

Magic of Spice February 17, 2011 at 3:49 am

Your tart is just scrumptious! Wow you did an amazing job :) All of the cakes from the museums celebration are gorgeous as well, I am sure that was so much fun to attend :)