Apple Frangipane Galette

by cakeduchess on February 17, 2011 · 53 comments

applefrangipane1

It was another splendid summer day in Italy. The sun was shining brightly through the open kitchen windows. The dark green shutters were positioned so that each sunbeam could illuminate the happy little kitchen.
A delightful evening with just the perfect temperature. I felt goosebumps arise on my naked arms as the evening became a little more chilly. The regal pine trees were swaying in the cool evening air. Just listening to the wind whispering through the branches calmed me.
italy1 001
Feeling satiated and content, the family awaited on the patio patiently for the last part of the meal. Keeping busy with silly stories and conversation, there really was no rush.  Sleepy after such a wonderful meal, I glanced over at the stove. Espresso was brewing rapidly right next to me; its intoxicating smell never failing to awaken me.
On this particular summer day,  I baked alongside my mother-in-law. Each day I learn something new in her kitchen. She has grown to accept my annoying demands to accommodate my recording every instant of her talent. Dozens of photos and notes hurriedly scribbled on my pad; I don’t want to miss a second.
Teresa and I both share a love of apple desserts. My childhood was filled with every apple dessert imaginable; it is still to this day my favorite choice of dessert. Teresa is famous all over Italy with her family for her Torta di Mele. She shared the recipe with me the first time we met. She has since given me different versions.
A Torta Rustica was our most popular dessert that summer. We rolled the dough together. My dough  recipe was similar to hers. That day she teaches me to soak the apples in her homemade Limoncello while I prepare the frangipane. She explains that the frangipane will soak the juices of the fruit and Limoncello and keep the dough firm.
Since that lovely summer afternoon, I have made the galette over and over again. Each time I change the recipe slightly. Today I made it exactly as we made it in Italy on what seems like it was yesterday.
The frangipane turned out just the way I was hoping it would. They creamy almond flavor is the perfect bed for the Limoncello soaked apples to be nestled in. The butter crust was baked golden.
The Florida sunshine was shining brightly on me as I photographed the galette this week. I closed my eyes and imagined I was once again on my mother-in-law’s patio in Italy. I took a bite and the flavors were perfection. I smiled and sipped on my espresso savoring the moment. I could bring a little bit of Italy to my kitchen and that brings me feelings of happiness and satisfaction.

applefrangipane2
Apple Frangipane Galette
inspired by David Lebovitz

Apples

2 fuji apples sliced 1/4 inch thick (peeled and cored)
2 tablespoons Limoncello or juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Add the apple slices to a medium sized bowl. Stir in the cinnamon, sugar, and Limoncello or lemon juice.
Frangipane

3 ounces almond paste
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
1 large egg, room temp
1/3 cup heavy cream

In the bowl of a food processor, add the almond paste, sugar, flour, and pulse until it is combined and fine texture.

Add the butter a tablespoon at a time and pulse until combined and is crumb like in texture.
Add in the egg and the heavy cream. Pulse until it is smooth and creamy in texture. Set the frangipane aside until you are ready to assemble the galette.
Galette

1 large egg yoke
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 cup ice water

Egg Wash
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar

Dough
To prepare the dough: In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk and vanilla. Put the flour, sugar, and salt in the work bowl of a processor fitted with the metal blade; pulse to combine. Drop the butter pieces and cream cheese into the bowl and pulse 8 to 10 times, or until the mixture is speckled with pieces of butter that vary in size from bread crumbs to peas. Add the yolk mixture and pulse to combine.  Add in the cold water and pulse until the dough resembles soft, moist curds. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and keep in refrigerator for an hour at least.

Assemble the Galette

When you have your apple mixture ready, the dough chilled, caramel made…it’s time to make this galette. Make sure the oven is preheated to 350  F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. It can be your kitchen counter (just make sure it’s clean). It should be rolled out to about 15 inches round and about 1/4 inch thick, to be exact. Fold the dough into quarters, and then transfer to your baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Unfold the dough, and then add the frangipane to the middle of the dough leaving about 3 inches of dough around the perimeter of the frangipane. I spread about 1/2 of the frangipane.
Add your apple slices in a concentric patter. Start with the outer part of the frangipane layering slices. Add the slices in the middle.
Begin to fold over the dough toward the middle of the apples with loose pleats. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the water.
Brush the dough with the egg mixture and carefully spoon on the sugar. If you get it all around the parchment paper, it will start to smell like burnt sugar.

Bake for about 30 minutes. You want your crust to be a nice, golden color. Not too brown and crunchy. About 1/2 way through baking, I lowered the heat of my oven to 325 F. Every oven is different, so keep an eye on your dough about 1/2 through and adjust the temperature if needed. Winking smile

If you like sea salted caramel, check out how I made my galette over here back in September!

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you are having a WONDERFUL week:) As always, your comments make me SMILE and I appreciate them.

veggietestkitchen February 17, 2011 at 4:03 am

wow, you put cream cheese in your falette dough? that’s very cool. i’ve never seen that. i’ll have to try that. i’m back to my tart making string and i want to up the ante on my tart dough. i can’t do the eggs but i can add a bit of cream cheese and omit a bit of the butter. that sounds like a wonderful experiment. thanks for sharing =) cheers.

sophia February 17, 2011 at 4:16 am

Okay, considering that it’s raining and chilly here right now, I have to commend you for whisking me right into the heart of summer with this lovely, warm post!! I’ve made this pie before, but not in galette form. It’s absolutely delightful.

Sukaina February 17, 2011 at 4:24 am

Your description of Italy made me feel like I was there, with you and Teresa in the kitchen- baking that galette. Great writing and I love authentic family recipes!

Magic of Spice February 17, 2011 at 4:35 am

I am so far behind, sorry…
This looks delicious, I love galettes and your memories of Italy sound so wonderful :)

Cherry February 17, 2011 at 4:39 am

I love both apple pie and frangipane! Mixing the best together only make me twice as happy.

Monet February 17, 2011 at 5:06 am

You transported me…like you, I have such a fondness for apple desserts. To me, they always symbolize family. It seems that there are similar connections with you. The way you painted your scene was just beautiful. Thank you for sharing with me, Lora. As always, I’m blessed by your words!

kita February 17, 2011 at 5:30 am

This is such an elegant treat! Your family must really appreciate having you around for all your beautiful baked goods. This looks delicious :D

Caitlin February 17, 2011 at 5:58 am

Simple and rustic yet elegant, I love it! Beautiful.

vans shoes February 17, 2011 at 6:20 am

Apple is the best fruit it as a so many health advantages.You share so nice flavors of the apple.I can imagine that apple is used like this.I am so impressed to visit this blog.

Sandra February 17, 2011 at 6:53 am

How beautiful is that? Love the color and photos, and of course it sounds really delicious!!!
Thanks for sharing your memories!

Trish February 17, 2011 at 7:14 am

Oh boy, I think you must have written this recipe for me :-) It’s sooo up my alley. Just say the word, frangipane, and I’ll come running. And with the apples and limoncello, mwah. Bookmarking this special treat. By the way, I’ll be in West Palm next month visiting family… on your turf!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 17, 2011 at 8:14 am

I love anything with a frangipane, but Limoncello soaked apples! Oh my that’s just divine!

Adriana February 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

The galette looks absolutely scrumptious!

notyet100 February 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

this looks so delicious

Jeanette February 17, 2011 at 11:34 am

What a gorgeous landscape to be looking at while baking, and such wonderful memories to go along!

Lizzy February 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Gosh, this just has to be one of my next desserts! Love, love your galette, Lora..as well as being transported to Italy by your engaging prose…

A Thought For Food February 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I’m in love with this post. Such sweet memories and a wonderful recipe to go along with it.

Aggie February 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I want to be in your mother in laws kitchen in Italy…or yours! What a wonderful post my friend!! I loved reading it.
Now for the dessert…so beautiful! I love apples in anything, and to soak them in limoncello is brilliant!

wenderly February 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I just feel in love with Italy…in my head. It sounds so similar to my summer spent in Greece! Such a lovely post and I’m LOVING this apple franipane galette!!

Pretend Chef February 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Such a beautiful landscape! So beautiful. It’s great that you can rub elbows with your mother in law in the kitchen and learn her secrets. This dessert is beautiful. I love apples. This would be a winner in my household.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow February 17, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Yum! So beautiful and delicious looking!

Elle February 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm

What a beautiful post–I could almost picture the scene you described on the patio! I hope you get to go back soon.

The galette-I’m in love with it. The addition of frangipane is what puts it over the top for me. Must try this.

foodwanderings February 17, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Love this girlie. Looks so delicious as always. The hillside pic is absolutely stunning!!

EatLiveRun February 17, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! I love galettes!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE February 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Oh Lora! I love this post and secretly wish I had family in Italy to go visit! The apple galette look simple and elegant, the perfect rustic treat!

Susi February 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Lora, good grief, this sounds out of this world delicious! Beautiful post, I will have to give this recipe a whirl since I love anything made with frangipane :o) Thanks for sharing such a wonderful treat!

ravienomnoms February 17, 2011 at 3:38 pm

That looks so gorgeous! I feel like I was actually there! :-)

Roxan February 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm

What a wonderful memory to be baking alongside your mother in law in italy! Gorgeous picture of those rolling hills. Was that your view?
This galette looks amazing. I still have yet to make one of those!

Sandra February 17, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Thanks to your pictures making a Galette doesn’t seem as terrifying as I thought. Great job.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels February 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Ok that’s it, I’m moving to Florida and stealing every dessert you make! I LOVE frangipane and haven’t had it in forever. And I loooove apples. But apples + frangipane = pure delicious Italian love!
I would devour your gorgeous galette in 5 seconds, it looks AMAZING. So stunning! :)

Chef Dennis February 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm

hi Lora
that Apple Galette looks so delicious!!! I was going to say it looked like a Crostata but I was afraid what spell check might do!
Dennis

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 17, 2011 at 5:47 pm

What a wonderful story! I really pictured myself there with you in Italy… And the galette looks beautiful.

Michael Toa February 17, 2011 at 7:21 pm

ah… what a wonderful galette. I wish I was eating a slice of that galette now and looking out to that beautiful scenery.

Pacheco Patty February 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm

What a lovely post to read on such a gloomy, rainy day here. It was a relaxing, warm, and delicious moment visiting you here today, Thanks and I hope you’re having a nice week;-)

Tiffany February 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm

This galette sounds just divine! I love frangipane! And using lemoncello is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing! and enjoy the wonderful weather in Italy!!!

Sprinkled with Flour February 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

What a great way to use up my Limoncello, this sounds soo good:)

Leanna @ Raptortoe.com February 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Mmmmmm frangipane!!

Wilde in the Kitchen February 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm

This looks so pretty, I love the rustic feel to it. I bet this would be amazing warm with some vanilla ice cream :)

Sara{OneTribeGourmet} February 18, 2011 at 1:42 am

Lora, I’m a huge fan of frangipane and paired with apples is just delightful!

Happy When Not Hungry February 18, 2011 at 2:12 am

This Frangipane looks amazing Lora! I’ve never tried making one before, but def need to try. I always love your photos of Italy too!

Quay Po Cooks February 18, 2011 at 9:21 am

This must be delicious with cream cheese. So pretty!

Carolyn February 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

It sounds like such a wonderful time in Italy and this dessert is a perfect accompaniment for your memories of it.

megan @ whatmegansmaking February 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

This is such a pretty dessert – turned out beautifully!

Fuji Mama February 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Gorgeous! I always love the rustic looking tarts like this! Makes me want to dive in even more.

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! February 19, 2011 at 12:02 am

thanks for sharing this recipe looks beautiful and i can’t wait to make it have have this beauty in my home!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! February 19, 2011 at 12:02 am

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! February 19, 2011 at 12:02 am

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! February 19, 2011 at 12:02 am

A little bit of everything February 19, 2011 at 2:50 am

for the last two days the weather warmed up a lot and it feels like summer is coming shortly. after reading your post I want summer days tomorrow. oh, how i miss the sunny days.
i never made galette dough using cream cheese, interesting idea. thanks for sharing.
hope you’ll have a wonderful weekend

The Mom Chef February 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Lora, that’s absolutely fantastic. Yes, I’ll be making it too. Any kind of appley piey thing works with me.

sara @ CaffeIna February 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

You made me nostalgic Lora. And you totally made me craving for a gallette! I would definitely put the limoncello and not the lemon juice with the apples…limoncello makes everything better…kind of like nutella hehe

El February 20, 2011 at 3:24 am

This looks phenomenal. I love apples and the combining it with frangipane is a wonderful idea! Wish I was eating it in Italy!!

tastesbetterwithfriends February 20, 2011 at 4:59 am

I love learning with you, it always ends up tasty great!